• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/IMytJKuIjQs

This game has come into a hot contention in regards to its PC performance, DF (Oliver) has taken a look at how this game performs on current gen consoles, PS5 & Xbox Series X|S.
The titles makes use of Unreal Engines 5's Nanite and virtual shadow maps. No use of Ray Tracing or Lumen (software or hardware).
Shadows are uniformly sharp, with no penumbra effect (the softening effect as a shadow contours around a object with respect to the lighting angle).
There's a praise of the increase geometric detail compared to the previous entry, but there's some issues w.r.t. screen space effects with oclussion issues. The threshold it too harsly cut from the viewport, meaning that it'll pop in and out as you pan the camera. The character models may not be as impressive, but they have decent production value, but not comparable to big budget titles. The cutscenes do have some issues such as visual shadow artifacts, although to they were specific to the PS5.
Overall the fidelity of the game is very high in quality and it does hold up well.

I'll highlight the Resolution and Performance noted for the consoles respectively.

Playstation 5 & Series X:
  • Quality Mode: 30 FPS target - ~1296p
    • Hits its FPS target and there's some single dropped frames,
    • Denser foliage
    • Screen space reflections are more detailed and coherent
    • Shadows are higher in resolution, less breakup and artifacting
    • Uses dynamic resolution
    • TSR* upsampling to 1440p
  • Balanced: 60 FPS target - ~792p
    • Does it hits FPS target most of the time, but there are dips in heavy action scenes with one instances going to the 30's. Lab area is denoted as a heavy FPS tanking scenario
    • Balanced & performance look identical
    • Uses dynamic resolution
  • Performance mode: Unlocked frame rate - ~720p
    • Screen tearing issues are present in this mode.
The consoles have no motion blur toggle.

In motion; quality mode delivers a more stable visual image. Motion blur helps. Series X and PS5 are basically identical. However, if you set the output to 120Hz the refresh rate will be set to go higher than 60fps. On PS5 it will stay in a 60Hz container, meaning that there's no perceivable difference.
VRR does not seem to affect the game as there's still screen tearing, Oliver denotes that this could be an issue with his TV.

Xbox Series S:
  • Quality Mode - ~900p
    • 30 FPS target, same drops are experienced as the bigger console modes, but they are more noticeable and more frequent.
    • TSR* Upsamples to 1080p
    • No motion blur
All in all Remant 2 is impressive and hopefully with future polished this experienced can be more polished.

* Oliver speculates that TSR is used and not FSR 2 as comparing to native 1440p on PC the artifact patterns on PC + FSR2 are not similair to the console output at all. Thus concluding that TSR is in use, which is UE5's own method for upsampling

I hope I summarized it all correctly.

Companion article to the video:

www.eurogamer.net

Remnant 2 is a fitting showcase for Unreal Engine 5's Nanite technology

The Digital Foundry tech analysis of Remnant 2 reveals the advantages of a current-gen focus with Unreal Engine 5 and Nanite - with PS5, Series X and Series S.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
792p in balanced mode. yeez. i hope this is not the new standard for third party ue5 games (it probably is).

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
792p….
Nope, no mid-gen refresh needed! I see no reason for them..

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Quality of pixels vs quantity of pixels. Why are people freaking out with a game using Temporal Super Resolution?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wow its a massive mess.
Even with those super low resolutions it cant hold anywhere near a stable framerate

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Looks geometrically dense, but just nanite and no lumen? So much for not needing pro consoles 😂

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Kind of crazy that future games might be averaging lower resolution than a typical PS4 game (in performance mode anyway).

D23

Oct 25, 2017
i noticed the dip in IQ playing in balance mode on series x. changed it to quality mode and never look back.
cant play on that crappy IQ

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So it only took a handful of current gen games to go from "current gen consoles are a beast!" to "Oh God, we need the pro versions yesterday!"

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
We need pro consoles YESTERDAY. If you told me we'd be back to PS3/360-era resolutions in the year 2023 back then I'd call you crazy.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
lol and people are looking forward to UE5.

this shit is going to be tanking performance big time, the first UE5 open world game is going to be a mess.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow...

And some people still declare that we don't need Pro consoles asap.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
The game doesnt look like 720p when your playing it.
When standing still and letting image quality to acumulate? Yeah definitely does not look nowhere near 720p, but as soon as you start moving the camera you start seeing the upscaling artifacts/blurry-ness. Shout out to the motion blur for "masking" this. Hopefully we get native resolution modes in UE5 games on pro consoles even if it's 1080p native because fuck blurry moving reconstructing images.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Also stop the generational consoles. Just do a new model every 2-3 years. We do it already with phones, CPUs and GPUs.

Copilot

Jun 27, 2023
I wonder what The Coalition will achieve with UE5. Could they hit 1080p@30FPS on Xbox Series S with good fidelity? UE5 seems to be ultra heavy.

Jun 16, 2023
Germany
The thing is with games trying to achieve higher and higher fidelity with ever increasing production values it seems to be really tough to have a well optimised game in the end. If it is FFXVI, Jedi Survivor or this game; they all look really, really good, but all of them have serious technical issues regarding the consistency in frame delivery and resolution on top of that.

I also think that there is a weird perception of the relative compute performance of the consoles. A few years in the generation the consoles still show some technical prowess and deliver phenomenal looking games, but there is no denying that tech is still rapidly moving forward with modern graphics cards pushing a factor 5 to 8 of theoretical performance nowadays. Especially when talking about next-gen features like Nanite and Lumen from UE5.

Still, the current price situation on the market makes these consoles an extremely valuable product, but looking at the whole situation these chips are cut back zen2 cpus with RDNA2 gpus sitting in the low to midend segment regarding available performance options today.

I think this is nothing worrying actually and these games should maybe not used to indicate a trend, but there is no denying that a midgen refresh might iron out a lot of these problem and the generation of PS4 moved along in a similar pace with just having fewer 60fps options due to CPU power not being there on a critical scale to allow the options we have today.

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
Also stop the generational consoles. Just do a new model every 2-3 years. We do it already with phones, CPUs and GPUs.

& watch console prices shoot through the roof since selling them at a (sometimes significant) loss makes less sense? I don't know about that one.

Is this more on Unreal Engine, developers , or the Consoles?

The consoles are a known quantity, & UE5 pushes the most pimped of PCs to their knees, so I'd question the developers choice to go with the engine here if I were to be highly critical. The game still looks good though, & we can't forget this isn't a AAA studio. Overall, I think it looks better than the headline resolution number suggests.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
That's not a good idea. If it happens, games will be even less optimized on the consoles because there will be just too many versions to work on, similar to PC--without the advantages of PC gaming.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
are people really asking for new hardware because some aa game runs poorly? a game on an engine that devs are still figuring out even

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I wonder what The Coalition will achieve with UE5. Could they hit 1080p@30FPS on Xbox Series S with good fidelity? UE5 seems to be ultra heavy.
Hold that judgement until something like Immortals comes out, which is supposed to use both Nanite and Lumen in 60fps game. UE5 features can certainly bring performance down a lot, but there are not enough games out. A studio like the Coalition should be able to push a better looking and better running game.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Someone explain to me how the game looks great if it's 720p? It also hardly ever dips below 60 in balanced, there are a few places it did but it was specific to those.

Jun 16, 2023
Germany
are people really asking for new hardware because some aa game runs poorly? a game on an engine that devs are still figuring out even
In the end it is also in the hands of the developers to design their games around a specific hardware target. I can not think in any other way that they thought the drop in resolution is worth the onboarding of Nanite in the way it was implemented and I think it is also fine.