• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-performance-analysis

Everything from this video is taken from the first 2hrs so no spoilers.

• Using TAA, clean image quality
  • Good per object motion blur
  • Xbox one 900p 30fps cap bad frame pacing with noticible stutter and judder but can use 120hz mode which improves things.
  • PS4 1080p has Cleaner shadows compared to base X1, 30fps cap bad frame pacing with noticible stutter and judder
  • PRO 3200 x 1800 look like it uses uses reconstruction, uncapped framerate, unstable frame rate 38-48fps
  • X1X 3200 x 1800 looks a little cleaner. Has cleaner shaper shadows compared to the pro, uncapped framerate 38 - 42fps but has 120hz resulting in less frame variability and is the smoothest console in this mode

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-performance-analysis

Base console performance is another re-run of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Frame-rates are capped to 30fps, but inconsistent frame-pacing returns, with jumps between 16.7ms, 33.33ms and 50ms delivering a lot of judder whether you're playing on Xbox One or PS4.

Performance is a mixed bag, with results that may disappoint. Both of the enhanced consoles run with an uncapped frame-rate - just like the PS4 Pro-only patch for Dark Souls 3. Unfortunately, despite all the media leading up to release showcasing the game running at 60fps, I can assure you that this is not the case on consoles. It's very much an unstable frame-rate usually in the upper 30s to upper 40s, but it's when you compare the two that eyebrows will raise. In most cases, the PS4 Pro version delivers a higher average frame-rate

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
In most cases, the PS4 Pro version delivers a higher average frame-rate. Neither comes close to 60fps, but you can clearly see that Sony's machine has taken the lead here. The potential use of reconstruction on Pro might explain the difference here along with the slight difference in detail levels, but the results aren't great either way.
This is a twist to this story though - and it's tied to the Xbox One's support for 120Hz displays.It just so happens that Sekiro benefits greatly from this feature - more than I ever expected. This is the trump card that elevates the Xbox version above the Pro, if you have a 120Hz-capable display. The reason why is pretty straightforward - on an unlocked game running with v-sync enabled, new frames are delivered either at 16.7ms or 33.33ms intervals. It's a jarring difference, and makes the stuttering effect rather unfortunate.
Basically - when playing on a standard 60Hz display, the PS4 Pro version looks smoother due to the higher average frame-rate but if you can utilise 120Hz support on Xbox One, it appears visually smoother on that platform despite the lower frame-rate. Fascinating stuff.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sounds like the 30fps lock on base consoles would be preferable to the inconsistent unlocked framerate of the upgraded models

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad there's finally some good TAA. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are plagued by jaggies and shimmering on the finer details, especially things like grass, hair, and frayed cloth.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can you please just lock the Pro/X and up resolution to 1440? How hard can it be FromSoftware? I mean come on... I just can't do another souls game with frame pacing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a summary for those of us who can't watch atm?
Basically par for the course for From games.
Unlocked framerate on Pro/X, locked on base but with framepacing issues.

X is native 1800P, Pro is reconstructed.
Pro has higher average framerate
X has a 120Hz mode that reduces the delta between frametime variation making it feel more consistent if you can use 120hz mode.

I'm flabbergasted at how they never seem to get rid of framepacing isssues,

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I mean it's 1800 on both X and Pro, this is completely unbelievable, it's like they learned nothing from DS3 and Bloodborne.. Hey at least there's TAA in there.

I'll be waiting for PS5 to brute force this...

Should have gone for 1440p60@ or 1440p@30

Oct 27, 2017
So it's terrible on Pro. Dammit. At least FROM is consistent. Consistently terrible. Might wait for the inevitable smooth 60fps remaster next gen.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great! Incredible to have a FROM game over 30fps - though they were already good enough before.

Oct 27, 2017
So it's on par for the course for From Soft? I don't get why they didn't aim for 60fps this time, with it being a pure action game a bad performance hurts way more than in the Souls games.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm
I preordered the limited edition for the XOneX from GameStop and now it says it won't be here till Monday

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
If I'm reading this correctly the frame pacing only affects the base consoles, not the Pro consoles?

I guess I'm happy PS4 Pro has the best performance on 60 hz.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn, so that's why they hid the 1X version. Only marginally better looking but worse performance? Disappointing From, very disappointing.