fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Was excited for this but the bad frame pacing is a no sell. As much as I enjoy Bloodborne, it's toough going back to it because of that, so I won't go anywhere near Sekiro :(

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Another fine example of why these games need a performance mode.

Also, on paper, the PS4 Pro should never have a higher frame rate than the XBO X, but it seems to keep happening.

I don't think the list of games where Pro has any significant lead over X in terms of performance is a particularly large one. The times where it does happen usually are in situations where X is achieving a large gap over Pro in resolution.
Sekiro is certainly a curious case but in all honesty when it comes to some Japanese developers releases i've come to expect this kind of thing. PlayStation, understandably, is their focus.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
As much as this performance being shit on my PS4 Pro, I got the Platinum on Bloodborne just fine, so I'm still picking this game up. Hopefully the next gen consoles won't have to deal with these issues.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and you're also at the mercy of your receiver if you use surround sound through HDMI. My 900E supports 120hz, but I don't think my receiver does. I'm not messing with my setup for one game. I'll suffer the Pro's frame rate fluctuation. Part of the difficulty in From games is the frame rate, lol.
On my receiver, I lose sound when using 120hz with 12-bit color. Switch to 10-bit and it's fine. So there are quirks indeed.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm
I preordered the limited edition for the XOneX from GameStop and now it says it won't be here till Monday

Me too

They literally told me that if I contacted them 2 days sooner they would have gotten it here.

They're awful because my email confirmation says I was getting 2 day release day shipping.

Same old GameStop. I regret using them every single time.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Is there any chance From Software considers adding a "Smooth" mode that would be 1080p but guaranteed (or almost) 60fps?

I'm not sure if they ever did that before, for console games at least.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance From Software considers adding a "Smooth" mode that would be 1080p but guaranteed (or almost) 60fps?

I'm not sure if they ever did that before, for console games at least.

I think the problem has always been CPU related, looking at the recommended specs for PC.

At this point they should lock it to 30.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The PC version has the best performance. If you want the best performance on console, go with the PS4 Pro version.
Not if you have a 120hz capable TV. Then the XB1X has a better frame rate.
Yeah and you're also at the mercy of your receiver if you use surround sound through HDMI. My 900E supports 120hz, but I don't think my receiver does. I'm not messing with my setup for one game. I'll suffer the Pro's frame rate fluctuation. Part of the difficulty in From games is the frame rate, lol.
I have my XB1X run through my Samsung HW-N950 - does that support 120hz?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So, PC (or Stadia) it is, my 1X gets used less with every new release, devs need to give us video settings so we can get rid of unimportant things that sinks the performance or simply go with 1080p instead, this is not the type of game you want to play at fluctuating 35ish fps.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Goddamnit, I bought the Xbox one x version.

Oh well, should've gone with the pro but at least it'll be silent when I'm sneaking. I really wish I could lock the framerate and have a visual mode..

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I will play this two years from now at 60fps on the next generation of consoles. Praise be to backwards compatibility.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically for anyone playing on a TV (no, your 120 Hz TV does not accept 120 Hz signals), the Pro version is the way to go.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if patches and such have to get approved by the evil empire (aka Activision) first. But I hope so.
I don't think it's possible. The performance overhead just isn't there.

So basically for anyone playing on a TV (no, your 120 Hz TV does not accept 120 Hz signals), the Pro version is the way to go.
Sure it does. Many modern TVs accept 120hz input. The last two generations of LG OLEDs certainly do and there are many others.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
A shame to hear that the frame pacing problem is still an issue with From Software titles on consoles... :(

Still, it didn't stop me from playing through and enjoying Bloodborne and I will hopefully equally enjoy Sekiro but it's disappointing nonetheless.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Yikes. Bring out the PS5 and X-Box "4."

Performance is more important the graphics ffs. Tone it down and produce a stable frame rate please.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
This is not the type of game you want to play at fluctuating 35ish fps.

Like every other From Software game that has received huge critical acclaim? If these games were shit to play at these framerates then why all the game of the year awards? Smoother is better of course, but let's not make out Sekiro isn't still a great gameplay experience on console.

Oct 27, 2017
Dang I was really hoping for a 1080/60 mode on X. I'll probably go PC I guess but I really wanted to play this on my nice big 4k HDR TV.

I know I was able to stream DS3 to my TV via steam link at 1440p well enough. Would probably strip the HDR though if imagine.

Fuck it, maybe I'll just bring my PC downstairs for the weekend. I could probably hit 4k60 on high/mid on my PC

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sure it does. Many modern TVs accept 120hz input. The last two generations of LG OLEDs certainly do and there are many others.
I'm running my Xbox One X through my Samsung HW N950 Dolby Atmos Soundbar - will I be able to use the 120hz feature?

For reference, my TV is a Samsung Q9FN.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Bring out the PS5 and X-Box "4."

Performance is more important the graphics ffs. Tone it down and produce a stable frame rate please.
It's not really an issue for the consoles, it's an issue from developer side. This isn't really a staggeringly technically ambitious tittle, and there are developers out there who manage to deliver consistent performance while offering more ambition. Infact we've even seen smaller indie developers deliver more consistent performance.

From has had framepacing issues and performance issues since the PS360 days, they still had them in early PS4/Xbone days...and still have them now. If the framepacing isssue is caused due to lack of overhead then they could have focused on using the improvements they've made to the engine to build that overhead for rather than use it on additional graphical fidelity over what we saw in BB and DS3. It's suffice to say...it's just not a priority for them. If it was it'd have been dealt with long ago. And that's the strange part i.e. they make these games requiring quick response and based around parrying etc but do not prioritise a consistent performance.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I'm getting to the point now where if companies keep releasing these games unpolished, I just don't buy them. Or at the very least, buy them on the used market.

And annoyingly, it seems its always Japanese developers who keep getting this so wrong on AAA titles. Bloodborne, dark souls, final fantasy xv, kingdom hearts 3. The list goes on and on of titles that are just atrocious with not performance, but frame pacing. Do they have different tvs to us over there or what? Surely this is spotted at this point and just ignored because "the consumer will just lap it up anyway"

It's piss poor now and not acceptable. I decided after final fantasy I wasn't paying for games with issues like this and I'll continue to do so. Plenty more games where they get it right, or developers who correct problems down the way. Neither of which From or Square Enix etc bother doing.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, so that's why they hid the 1X version. Only marginally better looking but worse performance? Disappointing From, very disappointing.

I got the impression they hid the Xbox version cause Sony got the marketing rights. They even just recently put up a Sony Underground Episode with it featured.

But yeah, I really don't know which version I want, tho I'm inclined to think the unlocked framerate is going to make PS4Pro's take off into orbit, noise wise.

Deleted member 35446

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is there anything that can be done to get Sony to add 1440p/120hz output to Pro? Petition or twitter campaign? How do console-only gamers typically get something to get added?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I half left over Xbox credit I was going to use on this, but I'll wait for a PC deal instead

Why is From so bad at optimization?