• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Digital Foundry takes a look at Skyrim on Nintendo Switch.

Impressions:
-Solid 30fps
-Draw distance is the only graphical setting reduced in portable mode
-Volumetric lighting is only seen in a few spots and is generally missing
-720p (with dynamic res) portable
-900p docked
-Foliage LOD is heavily reduced in both docked and portable modes

Full Article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-skyrim-switch-vs-playstation-4

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
And the article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-skyrim-switch-vs-playstation-4

Let's kick off by talking about resolution. While docked, Skyrim operates at a native 1600x900, while playing in mobile mode shows us the first sign of compromise. When we looked at the Switch port at Gamescom, everything indicated a native 720p resolution, but the final code reveals more: a fairly basic form of resolution scaling designed to sustain smooth performance. Under load, resolution drops back suddenly to 896x720 - 70 per cent of the native pixel-count.

In terms of other compromises in the drop from docked to handheld, we hazard a guess that you'll find it really difficult to tell any difference at all. Level of detail settings in the mid to far distance are tweaked, so there is the odd loss of a few trees or other incidental detail, but otherwise, the game is identical. Similar to Doom, Skyrim holds up best in handheld mode - the inevitable broader scale cutbacks and compromises are far more difficult to pick up on when playing on a six-inch 720p screen.

And certainly in performance terms - crucial to a game like this, far more so than incidental detail - Skyrim delivers. You may lose the odd frame due to streaming, but across six hours of gameplay, the title delivered a solid 30 frames per second throughout. The sheer consistency here is worth commenting on - it's on par here with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game and it just feels right. Similar to Doom, the analogue nubs on the Joycons aren't the best interface for the game, but the experience holds up well overall.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like a decent port, shame the volumetric lighting was lost as that looks great on the remaster. This port looks to have better Image Quality than BotW to me.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know a lot of the assets date back to the 360 version, but it's still impressive to see the remaster running on the switch. Bethesda hopefully get nicely rewarded for the job they've done here.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how it feels on the pro controller. I think I will probably pick this up either way. It has been a long time since I played Skyrim and it's a great way to introduce my son to the game.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's a really solid port. Good job Bethesda! Bring on Wolfenstein 2 :D

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very solid port! Nice work from Nintendo and Bethesda (and maybe a port studio?)

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I was massively skeptical when this was first announced so it's good to see they've done a great porting job.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds great, although thats the 2nd time they've been negative towards the joy cons, when I feel like this is more a preference. I've played Doom handheld and the joy cons have felt fine to me

900p docked is very solid indeed. That is great news.
Handheld resolution of 896x720 at times is a bit disappointing though. Is the difference in clock making such a heavy compromise to native resolutions? And if so, why is that?

I mean, given the 720p screen it wont be that noticeable, but those are resolutions that you wouldnt even see commonly on PS360 titles.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to picking this up. Ive only played it on PS3 and it was a buggy mess. Switch version is impressive.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-order validated yay!

900p is good enough for me! They made the right choice since the framerate seems very stable.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Handheld resolution of 896x720 at times is a bit disappointing though. Is the difference in clock making such a heavy compromise to native resolutions? And if so, why is that?

I mean, given the 720p screen it wont be that noticeable, but those are resolutions that you wouldnt even see commonly on PS360 titles.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but the reason the clock speed is reduced, and therefore also performance, is because of battery life.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
From article
-Running such an expansive game is a hugely impressive feat given the size and portability of Switch. Needless to say there are nips and tucks, and foliage draw distance (and density up close) is one of them; the scene is simply not as flourishing as PS4's. Settings are identical between Switch's docked and portable modes meanwhile, sparing a few occasional LOD differences.
- Shadow quality also gets pared back on Switch. The effect actually still looks rather nice on Switch, but lacks the granular detailing of PS4's setting.
-Textures are typically a match between PS4 and Switch, but here's an exception. The lower RAM spec of Switch does force some surfaces to use lower grade assets. Meanwhile, note the lack of depth of field towards the background - another casualty of moving to a handheld, but not missed especially when played on the go.
-A rare case of improved level of detail settings while on Switch's docked mode. A sparing number of trees (up top) are added, though it's nothing drastic.
- Again, there's a small boost in geometry LODs across the mountain on the left while Switch is docked, though the upgrade is subtle.
-Town geometry up-close is identical between platforms. Switch inherits the skeleton of the original game, fully intact.
-Ambient occlusion is altered on Switch - pared back under the arch of the turret up ahead. Volumetric effects are also removed from the Switch edition too; a subtle effect around the characters here.

LiKellow

Nov 13, 2017
Liskeard, Cornwall
Colour me impressed. A solid framerate is fantastic. I can tolerate lower resolutions and assets, but unstable framerate or poor frame pacing would be a deal breaker. You have a purchase from me, Bethesda.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Next job for Bethesda - remaster Morrowind and port that to the Switch too! That would be a dream.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Undocked clock speed is half of docked clock speed, so performance is half as strong as well. 900p -> 720p is less than a 50% drop in resolution, so that's not enough to compensate for the lost clock speed, and therefore the resolution must go a little bit lower, or you must suffer frame rate issues.

PS360 titles tend to be less demanding than the remastered version of Skyrim is, so that's not really a good comparison I'd say. Besides, when comparing Skyrim, the Switch version shows a completely locked performance, while PS3 and XB360 has (much) worse frame rate.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I think that foliage quality take a huge downgrade

YDJYXjB.jpg

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds decent. I finished this for the first time a few months back on ps4 but will double dip with this in a week or two. These open world rpg's are perfect for the quick bursts of play that a portable is designed for.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a 6 years old game, but nowadays you never know, so there could have been hiccups. Sounds like a good version overall, its main problem is the price. If you really, really needed Skyrim you could find it on just about any platform sub-10$ by now, so it's a bit of a steep entry price unless you're a hardcore fan.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that foliage quality take a huge downgrade

YDJYXjB.jpg
Yeah I think the best way to play this is definitely in handheld. I don't doubt that it looks good on handheld. But if you want to play this mainly on a big TV, then the PS4 or Xbox One version are certainly the way to go.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a solid port. Looking forward to giving skyrim a play again.

Hopefully I get further this time (I played on PS3 before and hit the performance issues in it, forcing me to stop playing).

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a 6 years old game, but nowadays you never know, so there could have been hiccups. Sounds like a good version overall, its main problem is the price. If you really, really needed Skyrim you could find it on just about any platform sub-10$ by now, so it's a bit of a steep entry price unless you're a hardcore fan.

Or if you never played or never had any platform to play it yet...or had a heavy discount. :lol

It seems to sell quite well so far if I look at the E-Shop charts. Same song and dance than DOOM. Bethesda wisely chose these titles it seems.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It has some QOL and graphics improvements from the enhanced version but shares some elements, including presentation, with the base game. It's a mix.
Very impressive, especially the frame rate. One of the better ports to Switch. I expect similar results from LA Noire.

A for effort, but yeah .. this is far from a "Solid Port". A ton of compromises were made to bring this to the Switch.
Graphical reductions were expected, it's solid because it runs at a very consistent 30fps.

Last edited:

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

This is going to sell gangbusters, because it is the first portable, full-sized Elder Scrolls.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A for effort, but yeah .. this is far from a "Solid Port". A ton of compromises were made to bring this to the Switch.

The vast majority of reviewers have used words to the effect of "solid port" to describe the game. I think people are cool buying this without potential regrets.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a completely different game with that lighting and foliage compared to the PS4 version. Getting tired of seeing game after game have a dynamic resolution in portable mode. Also, as always the df comments section is a shitshow, honestly might as well disable it because all it achieves is clear fanboy drivel.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or if you never played or never had any platform to play it yet...or had a heavy discount. :lol

It seems to sell quite well so far if I look at the E-Shop charts. Same song and dance than DOOM. Bethesda wisely chose these titles it seems.

Well if your only console is a Switch and/or you REALLY need it portable, it's a good buy, no doubts. On PC, PS3, X360 you can buy it for a few bucks. On X1 and PS4 probably for like half the price of the Switch version.

This is going to sell gangbusters, because it is the first portable, full-sized Elder Scrolls.

This is very true however. As a game it isn't anything new, if you cared you had like 5 platforms to play it already, some of them can be found for like 80 bucks right now (X360 and PS3). If you need it portable, however...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, did you even watch the video? This is the epitome of a solid port.

Also, it is already at #5 on the NA eShop and it hasn't even released.

Yes, I watched the video .. calm down. I saw what looked like the 360/PS3 version running at 900p in docked. It's a solid port of the last gen consoles with stable frame rate. It's not comparable with the SE, seemingly no lighting upgrades, paltry draw distance, horrendous looking foliage etc. Like I said, A for effort but this is not a solid port, at least not of the SE version of the game.

This is good for Switch only gamers who've never played this game before, but as someone whose played it on at least 4 platforms already, not for me.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a completely different game with that lighting and foliage compared to the PS4 version. Getting tired of seeing game after game have a dynamic resolution in portable mode. Also, as always the df comments section is a shitshow, honestly might as well disable it because all it achieves is clear fanboy drivel.
Only play games on a 1080 Ti then and be happy