I mean, I always read DF threads and mentioning price has never been off limits
I hope you do understand that you initial post didnt had much body to attain and seemed more in place to divert the origins of this topic.

I see, reading back through the thread that mentioning it bothers people, but until I see a mod note, it's as on the table as the technical results.
Alright, if you want to take it that route: Atleast make a post look more indepth than just a drive-by post about pricing and ''ugh''. You know how it works, so its strange to see you do this kind of behavior.

People can just skip over price posts.
Or perhaps not make them in the first place since price has nothing to do with the technical merit of a port. Then going for the ''It is allowed until a mod says no'' is just stretching a topic into boundaries this thread is not.

Oct 25, 2017
Solid 30 fps in handheld mode sold me on the game. Too many times I'd be interested in a Vita version of a game and the framerate would either be really low or just all over the place. I got burned on Dynasty Warriors which would sometimes drop to single digits when you were really injured and the screen would show it rather than just having a health bar. I can handle it being scaled back a bit for Switch and most of the texture changes I will probably barely notice playing in handheld mode. Bought the game yesterday after reading some reviews and watching this video.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, if you want to take it that route: Atleast make a post look more indepth than just a drive-by post about pricing and ''ugh''. You know how it works, so its strange to see you do this kind of behavior.

I could have, but I didn't know the price until this thread and that's what hit me the most, so I made a short post about it. A short post is not a by definition, a drive by.

Or perhaps not make them in the first place since price has nothing to do with the technical merit of a port. Then going for the ''It is allowed until a mod says no'' is just stretching a topic into boundaries this thread is not.
No, I felt it worthy of a post. You could have also reported it instead of having a drawn out conversation about it.

I could have, but I didn't know the price until this thread and that's what hit me the most, so I made a short post about it. A short post is not a by definition, a drive by.
It is when the intention of the thread isnt about price. You have review threads and OT's for that.

No, I felt it worthy of a post. You could have also reported it instead of having a drawn out conversation about it.
Yeah, no. I dont believe in the idea that everything has to be reported just because i dislike a single post of a single user. Everyone deserves some slack. You didnt say anything with malicious intent.

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And again, the main point about the thread is technical but that does not mean price is not allowed be mentioned.

Not that what I say matters, but price isn't a technical point of reference for this thread and thus isn't worth discussing here. This is all about how well or poorly the game performs at a technical level, not about pricing and the value of the pricing. There are many other threads where the pricing aspect is still actively being talked about.

In the interest of getting back on topic...

I think the most interesting part of this is that it's very clearly the remastered current gen version but they refused to use that moniker in the marketing. Is it just because it lacks mods?

It looks like a really good port and beyond some foliage settings, most would be hard pressed in docked mode to even tell a difference and on handheld you just aren't going to Care.

And again, the main point about the thread is technical but that does not mean price is not allowed be mentioned.
Then going for the ''It is allowed until a mod says no'' is just stretching. Since we keep on running in circles its a very very.. mad world, i mean lets just leave it at that.

Not that what I say matters, but price isn't a technical point of reference for this thread and thus isn't worth discussing here. This is all about how well or poorly the game performs at a technical level, not about pricing and the value of the pricing. There are many other threads where the pricing aspect is still actively being talked about.
His point is more ''Just because it isnt forbidden to talk about this i can mention this.'' Its just the initial post does a very poor job of expressing geniune interest in the intentions of this topic.

You just derailed this whole last page with something that has no link whatsoever with the DF analysis. Sure, it might not be strictly forbidden, but it's still kind of rude.
To be fair, it isnt exclusively his fault either, i played a part in it too and i also didnt report his post, but that's for personal reasons. In any case, i apologize for facilitating this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, lets drop the price discussion. I'm not sure if there's an OT or review thread yet, but that seems a better place for it.

I mean, I can definitely see mentioning price when comparing versions, (like say if we get an LA Noire DF analysis and one version is more expensive), but at least in this case, it just derailed things.

Yeah, lets drop the price discussion. I'm not sure if there's an OT or review thread yet, but that seems a better place for it.

I mean, I can definitely see mentioning price when comparing versions, (like say if we get an LA Noire DF analysis and one version is more expensive), but at least in this case, it just derailed things.
Thanks Plag. And there is an OT. Was just made today: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sk...that-mountain-you-can-play-skyrim-on-it.6604/

Deleted member 20799

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know i was just making fun of them hulking consoles having mobile CPUs too, appreciate the research though thats a nice comparison :^)
It's not a particularly fair description since what separates mobile/tablet CPUs from desktop are # of cores & clock speed. The tablet forms of Jaguar are 2-4 cores at lower clocks.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's not a particularly fair description since what separates mobile/tablet CPUs from desktop are # of cores & clock speed. The tablet forms of Jaguar are 2-4 cores at lower clocks.
It's more to do with tdp, vs cores and clock speeds. The jaguar's architecture was definitely designed with mobile devices in mind. That *also* made it a suitable choice for sticking in a small box, but I don't think it's incorrect to call them mobile CPUs, even if they're more aimed at the laptop/netbook segment.

ChapterBlack

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I've ever known of a consoles limits being reached within the first 9 months of its life. Optimizations and understanding will happen over time. Look at most games at the start of a consoles life compared to the end.

True but it has a hurdle that no other system has had thus far: like with NBA2k18 for example, the storage provided is inefficient and thus the game is unplayable unless you get a bigger sd card. No amount of optimization can make up for that

Deleted member 20799

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's more to do with tdp, vs cores and clock speeds.
Well, I'm talking product segmentation via configuration. TDP is naturally tied to both metrics. You could take a dual core from a high end Intel chip and slash the clocks and cache and end up with a mobile product.

Jaguar wasn't only seen in tablet/notebooks. Anyways, semantics.

ARM designs certainly do have a different design methodology, and certainly Jaguar is a lower power target than Steamroller was.

Other folks gunning for drive-by comments aren't helping these threads either way.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well, I'm talking product segmentation via configuration. TDP is naturally tied to both metrics. You could take a dual core from a high end Intel chip and slash the clocks and cache and end up with a mobile product.

Other folks gunning for drive-by comments aren't helping these threads either way.
No doubt. I'm doing my best to keep this lively while cutting down the system wars. #impossiblelifegoals

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It usually is the case of posters who are overly negative on the port yet ignore all the positives the port has. Honestly, i dont think its really fair game to go into a thread like this with that kind of mindset. In the end you are just disparaging users and dividing them. But i guess for some users half of the fun is made there.

In DF threads i prefer not to see that however.

Fair point, and I realize it's not a winnable battle in any sense. I'm not a mod and I can't police this thread, and people can skirt the TOS and just be overly negative for very obvious reasons. I can either just move or or have a meltdown. So I've moved on.
I appreciate you taking the time to sort of help me affirm my decision is the right one.

ARM designs certainly do have a different design methodology, and certainly Jaguar is a lower power target than Steamroller was.

It is just poor sports if all a poster does is a drive-by to intentionally piss people off. That, or one is incredibly naive. Since the latter is unlikely, the former is just childish behavior. If you would do that in a real life talk you would get shun upon aswell, so why people think its okay to do on a forum, i dont know.

Note: There is obviously a difference between thinly veiled sarcasm and a real shitpost, and i can imagine that for a mod its hard to differentiate between one and the other.

No doubt. I'm doing my best to keep this lively while cutting down the system wars. #impossiblelifegoals
Switch is better than Wii U anyways ;) But thank you Plag. In either case an apology should also be coming from my way since i can be very annoying back peddling on people at times.

Fair point, and I realize it's not a winnable battle in any sense. I'm not a mod and I can't police this thread, and people can skirt the TOS and just be overly negative for very obvious reasons.
I reckon for them, being intentionally krass like that is half the fun made, especially when people respond to it. All you can do is hope they will look into it the next time they post.

I can either just move or or have a meltdown. So I've moved on.
Yeah, you dont need to have a meltdown just because of one post. The only time i really get agitated here is when people keep on making a point that has been shot down since ages ago. But thats all.

I appreciate you taking the time to sort of help me affirm my decision is the right one.
No problem, i suppose ;)

Anyhow, how is ERA regarding this port in regards to shadow quality. DF said that they are noticeably lower res, but not ''pixelated''. I read somewhere, although its been some time ago, that Tegra level hardware does have issues with dynamic shadows (Or was this an issue with mobile SOC's in general? cant remember). Anyhow, what say you?