• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought that Skyrim and Doom won't be beaten but guess I was wrong. If Witcher 3 can run on Switch, they can port RDR2 as well.
I don't think that's a very safe assumption to make, given the Switch's specific limitations (particularly its CPU and memory bandwidth) and the assuredly huge swath of differences between these two open-world games under the hood.

I think people tend to overstate Witcher 3's technical complexity. This is an ambitious and technical port, but the fact that Witcher 3 is a large-scale game is not proof that you can just directly port any old game on the Switch.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I never think it was possible to run Witcher 3 on a Switch and there it is. You never know what will happens if a few years, some sort of new compression, who knows. But yeah, we won't see new CPU instructions unless it's a new Switch iteration and then, it's not the Switch anymore.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Damn they got the Novigrad crowds on par with PS4? I figured they would have to cut that back for sure since that is also one of the big things they cut back from PC to PS4/Xbox CPU.

I guess you can port anything to switch if you tweak, cut back and balance here and there. Not sure I would play that way other than for the novelty but really cool none the less.

I mean, I don't expect it at all but that's basically the same thing many people said in response to "The Witcher 3 can run on Switch." And here we are.
the witcher 3 is just barely playable, im laughing at the compromises required for a double disc bluray game that just happens to be the best looking game this gen. they could "Do" it but good lord lmao

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It looks fully playable and enjoyable as a portable experience. All people involved in this port put an insane amount of effort into it and should be praised for achieving this result.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
the witcher 3 is just barely playable, im laughing at the compromises required for a double disc bluray game that just happens to be the best looking game this gen. they could "Do" it but good lord lmao

"Just barely playable" according to whom? Basically every preview of this is glowing. And unless I'm mistaken RDR2 runs much better than TW3 on the same consoles which suggests it's either better optimized or has more headroom.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Impressive port by Saber/CDPR.
This game working as well as it does is an amazing achievement.

There definitely is a bit of blur in docked mode along with a good amount of pop-in. But still solid port. Portable mode with its smaller screen will be my way to play.

Will be trying to see how it runs on a max OC'ed Switch and compare lol

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I thought that Skyrim and Doom won't be beaten but guess I was wrong. If Witcher 3 can run on Switch, they can port RDR2 as well.
They won't ever bother to port GTAV and you want to see Red Dead 2 on Switch :^P
It would be very, very interesting to see the results of such an unholy attempt

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
From what I can tell, this is one heck of an achievement. There are some real compromises, but how much Saber Interactive has been able to cram into this port, and that it still runs acceptably despite being 30 FPS on PS4/X1, is honestly nuts. In my eyes, it kind of puts Panic Button's efforts on DOOM and Wolfenstein II to shame. From what we've seen so far, it's a fantastic conversion and will likely be the new bar to set for Switch ports.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
From what I can tell, this is one heck of an achievement. There are some real compromises, but how much Saber Interactive has been able to cram into this port, and that it still runs acceptably despite being 30 FPS on PS4/X1, is honestly nuts. In my eyes, it kind of puts Panic Button's efforts on DOOM and Wolfenstein II to shame. From what we've seen so far, it's a fantastic conversion and will likely be the new bar to set for Switch ports.
And just like that, poor Panic Button stopped being the darling of miraculous Switch ports 🤧

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Considering what they're trying to cram into the Switches limited memory, this is super impressive. I am not too sure how fast the fetching is on the cart, but there might be a fair amount of that to assist the RAM here and there

I remember back in 1998 buying Abe's Odyssey on Game Boy and thinking how compromised it was in comparison to the PC/PS version. Now all these years later we get something like this within the same generation.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a port right there. Double dip for sure. Amazing to have this on my handheld.

Feb 10, 2018
No excuses for other devs not to put there games on switch.
If witcher 3 can work any game can.
It's so amazing current gen games can work pretty well on a portable.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, a DF Switch third party game thread is only 2 pages long? It must be a good port.
Edit: Never mind, just had a look at the release date announcement thread, all the shitposting is concentrated in that.

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being one of those that laughed at Doom being ported. Then Wolfenstein. Any comment of "Yeah, but Witcher can never happen."

I'm a firm believer that anything can be ported now.

I never played the expansions, I'm going to get this to play through those.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
You know I was feeling like I wouldn't necessarily want to spend full price on a port I may never play but CDPR deserves all the money.

What we really need is cross saves with PS4.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Really makes me want to hack my Switch. Overclock and Switch NX would be a crazy portable experience. I really hope the team will add overclocking testing to the usual workflow, maybe a look at a few major titles every couple months.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
This is amazing and I'm happy to see the port is performing so well.

I'm thrilled for no other reason than I remember how many "Switch can't handle games like that" posts there were during the first year of the system's existence.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would hope one's standards are raised each gen.

They have. Last gen we had the 3DS with a 240p screen where Xenoblade Chronicles looked like this:
dims

Now this gen we have a full port of a multiplatform AAA game on a device that outputs 1/4 the wattage of the PS4 and Xbox One and is the size of a tablet:
D83wdINXsAAu0GZ.jpg

The standards have increased. Expecting native handheld 720p / docked 1080p from the Switch version is unreasonable. It is, at the end of the day, mobile hardware.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it took miracles to make this port it still looks super ugly compared to other versions and I wouldn't recommend newcomers to buy it honestly (unless portability is a priority for them)