Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYuvL6bO04Q

Talks about improved performance, texture filtering, loading times. Pretty much all the stuff we heard about before launch but it's great to see it actually implemented. FYI: Unpatched games (not built on the newest Xbox devtools) only get access to 3 TF to instead of the full 6 TF.

Some noteworthy moments.
Witcher 3 load times
Loading Novigrad
45 seconds (XB1X)
1:44 min on (XB1)

Fast Travel
19 seconds (XB1X)
45 second (XB1)

Witcher 3 performance is locked at 30fps in areas that had trouble on the original console.

Hitman GPU areas limited areas on the XB1 see up to 80% performance boost on the X but a smaller boost in CPU limited areas.

Edge case of forced Vsync on the X causing a momentary performance advantage for the original console in the replay mode of Project Cars.

Unpatched (launch disc) AC: Unity can hit up to 60fps but still limited in CPU intensive areas. Final patch gets it locked to 30fps cap. Extra horsepower "fixes the game".

Arkham Knight is properly frame paced and is locked at 30fps even during driving sequences.

Just Cause 3 has improved performance but can still drop into the 20s.

DOOM now "the best console version".

FFXV platinum demo has huge improvements on XB1X. Goes up to 1080p and, while still having drops, hits 30fps more often.

Note: These are images are from games running without 4k patches. Stock XB1/360 games with the added features for unpatched games.
jpg
jpg

jpg
jpg
jpg

jpg

jpg

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One is so weak in comparison? This loading times actually are really good, but reflect in install size?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What is it about Just Cause 3 that just makes it impossible to optimize. Nothing can beat it.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At last Jaguar still Jaguar, but the differences vs Xbox One really are enormous.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well not upgrading the CPU by a bigger margin seems silly. I've briefly kicked around the idea of getting an XBX because I miss classic Halo and my Rock Band DLC. But it's hard to see the value in this when I've got a high end PC, PS4 and a Switch.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just Cause 3 shows why the X1X can't really be just another step on a generationless approach like MS wants. New CPUs are due.

But this is how you make a mid-step console, Sony. Take notes for the ps5 pro.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just Cause 3 shows why the X1X can't really be just another step on a generationless approach like MS wants. New CPUs are due.
These new CPUs will be fully backwards compatible with old ones. They're not suddenly going to adopt some new architecture that is fundamentally different to the old one. On PC, you can play Just Cause on a Core Quad or you can play it on an i7. One runs the game terribly, the other runs it well. No arbitrary "generations" are involved.

Regardless, these are very impressive performance improvements. It's really nice seeing AC: Unity run at a locked 30fps. The massive reduction in load times will be a blessing for games like Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. In fact, I hope that game gets an XBOX patch, too.

Oct 27, 2017
Those load times are extremely impressive. X1X feels like a great console. I only wish they would made download size smaller. I'm extremely excited about what will be achieved with a real next gen console. Hope loading times stay low.

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
Witcher 3 load times
Loading Novigrad
45 seconds (XB1X)
1:44 min on (XB1)

Fast Travel
19 seconds (XB1X)
45 second (XB1)

giphy.gif

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, a 30 fps locked AC: Unity. Took long enough to get there lol

The PS4 Pro boost mode does pretty much the same thing.

On-topic, some really good enhancements there. I love the witcher 3 load time improvements, it's the same as my SSD but just based on the console's cache drive. I want them to test some 360 games which are practically big enough to completely fit in the cache drive and see if they load like cartridge games.

Slingles

Oct 29, 2017
South Wales
Disappointed by Just Cause 3, but everything else looks pretty decent. Very impressed on everything but that and the forced V-Sync on Project Cars.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Awesome. I'm definitely going to prioritize gaming on my X more than I did my S - Far Cry, Wolfenstein, AssCreed - I'll play all those on X.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Dynamic resolutions maxing to 1080p along with the 16xAF. Quite a difference to say these aren't even patched versions.

yyh6URb.png

nhJzYaE.png

L5TgbAY.png

Oct 27, 2017
Exciting results. Interested to see some 360 games that are unlocked like GTA IV and Saints Row IV .

Or it could just show that JC3 is a poorly optimized game regardless of hardware.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

The new console will probably be using Ryzen, which will be a seamless transition. It'll be similar to people who still use something like a 2600k (feel bad mentioning shitty Jaguar next to the god, but just for reference) and those who upgraded to 7700k/8700k. A game will work on both CPUs with obvious and nice performance gains on the latter.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And remember folks, this comparison is focusing on unpatched games. That's probably the most impressive part about these improvements so far. They're not even "Xbox One X Enhanced".

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Just cause 3 is a Paragon of terrible optimization. Neither the pro or one X are guilty for not running it properly - few things in this world do

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 Pro boost mode does pretty much the same thing.

On-topic, some really good enhancements there. I love the witcher 3 load time improvements, it's the same as my SSD but just based on the console's cache drive. I want them to test some 360 games which are practically big enough to completely fit in the cache drive and see if they load like cartridge games.

Oh it does? I thought it still had drops. My bad then.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new console will probably be using Ryzen, which will be a seamless transition. It'll be similar to people who still use something like a 2600k (feel bad mentioning shitty Jaguar next to the god, but just for reference) and those who upgraded to 7700k/8700k. A game will work on both CPUs with obvious and nice performance gains on the latter.

Precisely. I'd imagine we're going to see a lot of 60FPS games on the next gen console running at 30FPS on the Xbox One X when the time comes a few years from now.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Doesn't one console showing up a year later, and $100 more expensive kind of explain this, instead of "they did it right"?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not looking good that CPU is still very bad, mid gen consoles should have replaced the cpu, Just Cause 3 at 1080p running at 19 fps, Gears of War 4 at 1080p dropping to 40 fps and PCARS locking to 30 fps on X is not looking good for sure.

CPU can really bottleneck a system.

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
Allegedly GTA5 is down to 24sec from 67sec
Amazing. I have to check out the DF video in a few but this makes me excited for the 7th. Just need to figure out what game to play first. I had finished the base witcher3 game but ended up getting the complete edition for the X release.. and have gow4 plus Quantum Break.. going to be a long week.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't one console showing up a year later, and $100 more expensive kind of explain this, instead of "they did it right"?

They did it right by releasing it later. Also I feel that tool-wise MS is giving devs better scalability tech than Sony is. Got no evidence, but that mixed Pro support is upsetting.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They did it right by releasing it later. Also I feel that tool-wise MS is giving devs better scalability tech than Sony is. Got no evidence, but that mixed Pro support is upsetting.

Xbox One X will have mixed support too, devs have limited resources and they'll use those where the biggest numbers of people are playing which is Ps4 and base Xbox not the Pro models.

Microsoft giving better tools lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

One X is more Future proof than pro regarding some features but honestly thats more than their obligation for a console coming later and with a higher price

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think the release timing is entirely a matter of opinion. Personally I've been quite pleased playing games on my Pro for the past year, and at $100 less. That's not a knock on the X in any way, just saying it's two different strategies, and if the beginning of this gen taught us one thing, being $100 more expensive isn't always a great idea.

I'm not sure I understand your scalability comment. Pro support is great for many games, and not so great for some. I suspect you're going to see that exact same story play out with the X. I'm pretty sure this is about development teams choosing what to spend time doing, and not tools.