v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't one console showing up a year later, and $100 more expensive kind of explain this, instead of "they did it right"?

Well they did it right in many aspects except cpu, pricing is pushing it too much but no deny Microsoft did it right but so did Sony, for 400€ Pro is a great value but cpu holds it back.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finding the non-patched improvements the most impressive, even knowing how much further a recompiled game can push things. We're seeing noticeable IQ improvements alongside drastic texture, loading, and performance improvements unpatched. 16xAF alone pushes some of these versions to the top.

There's not much more you can ask from hardware.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't one console showing up a year later, and $100 more expensive kind of explain this, instead of "they did it right"?

No the Pro was a total half-assed step we didn't get anywhere near this kind of improvements on patched or unpatched games. Boost mode helped a little bit but only a little, we're talking a few fps here and there with some games and things like removing screen tearing from yakuza 0. I don't recall getting 30+ seconds slashed in load times in any game.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic resolutions maxing to 1080p along with the 16xAF. Quite a difference to say these aren't even patched versions.

yyh6URb.png

nhJzYaE.png

L5TgbAY.png
Wow, I actually thought the Halo 5 they were showing was patched, that's an amazing difference without the patch.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I never thought I'd be tempted to go play more Unity. Dropped it after about 8 hours. SCORPIOOOOOOOOOOO

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
That looks pretty damn good. Would buy the X if I didn't own a PC and the PS4 Pro. But yeah, I agree with the notion that this is how you should do mid-gen refreshes. Amazing stuff right there.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
No the Pro was a total half-assed step we didn't get anywhere near this kind of improvements on patched or unpatched games. Boost mode helped a little bit but only a little, we're talking a few fps here and there with some games and things like removing screen tearing from yakuza 0. I don't recall getting 30+ seconds slashed in load times in any game.
The PS4 didnt have the minute long loading times though. You cant ignore that part of the reason the jump is so high os because the base Xbox one was kinda weak

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I wish the Pro did 16xAF too with Boost mode, no reason why it couldn't.

Oct 28, 2017

To be fair, the ps4 versions often run better then the xbox versions, so the gap is way bigger for Xbox to Xbox X.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 didnt have the minute long loading times though. You cant ignore that part of the reason the jump is so high os because the base Xbox one was kinda weak
I actually am with him on this one. -- I truly believe Sony could have waited a year to give ps4 owners a much more substantial upgrade. No denying that many feel that ps4pro is not really the ps4 upgrade they were waiting for.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, the X has a better GPU and more memory bandwidth to reduce load times. So doesn't all of that fall under my initial comment regarding it being a year later and $100 more expensive? This is how video game hardware works. The more time passes, and the more money you spend, the more performance you're going to get.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pro does what it does well a year earlier and cheaper...lol at this hyperbole. Yeah a year later and $100 more expensive allow more improvements, cool, Pro is not half assed, and it will sell more. which is waht a product ultimately is supposed to do. In fact, Checkerboard is awesome, and the year head start means sony once again is in a better position.

I actually am with him on this one. -- I truly believe Sony could have waited a year to give ps4 owners a much more substantial upgrade. No denying that many feel that ps4pro is not really the ps4 upgrade they were waiting for.
Citation needed, based on? If XoneX is so much better than i assume it will sell way better than? The Pro sets out and does what it needs to do very well.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
In Witcher 3? It most certainly did. Witcher 3 had infamously long load times on PS4.

I stand corrected then, i remember the loading times being the pivotal point in PS4 Xbox comparisons because god they take forever on Xbox and its the MAIN reason i never "fast" travelled

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Really good improvements all around. Hope they do a similar video covering 360 and OG Xbox BC titles.

Not looking good that CPU is still very bad, mid gen consoles should have replaced the cpu, Just Cause 3 at 1080p running at 19 fps, Gears of War 4 at 1080p dropping to 40 fps and PCARS locking to 30 fps on X is not looking good for sure.

CPU can really bottleneck a system.

Better CPUs weren't really an options. Both MS and Sony did the best they could with what they got to work with and did a pretty good job. Doesn't really make much sense to raise the price by a substantial amount when these machines are designed to run current gen software.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Did you play the PS4 version? It definitely had that sort of load times.

Edit: Shoot, accidental dogpile. I didn't see the other posts.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Great video.

Shame about the CPU, but hopefully that will be a focus for the next gen.

Still these are nice improvements for games with dynamic resolution, and the loading time improvement is great. Although as noted, after patches 4k textures might make those longer.

It's too bad Microsoft didn't have this kind of focus when they launched the One.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Did you play the PS4 version? It definitely had that sort of load times.

Edit: Shoot, accidental dogpile. I didn't see the other posts.

No worries. I dont have a PS4 and was going based on my memory back in the day where people recommended the PS4 version over the Xbox one due to loading times, but It seems like i was wrong and ps4 was bad as well, just not THAT bad

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
eh? You think a $500 xbox is gonna outsell a 399 or cheaper pro in europe, ROTW, Asia and WW? Even the Us is doubtful.
You aren't wrong on this front. I disagree that the Pro isn't a half assed step. It's felt like a waste of money on my end. That's on me, though. I could have stayed with my OG PS4 and rode it out until PS5. I don't feel that way with the jump between One and X.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

The Pro is hardly a half assed machine. Considering the hardware in the unit, it does exactly what should be expected.

Why is the Pro even coming up in this topic?

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Pro is hardly a half assed machine. Considering the hardware in the unit, it does exactly what should be expected.

Why is the Pro even coming up in this topic?
Yeah the Pro is outstanding, and having it out a year earlier, at 399 was a very smart move, it's the opposite of half assed. You know why it got brought up.

Spawn

Oct 27, 2017
Wow - this sounds great. I thought about canceling my preorder after watching the ign and gamespot reviews. I really love how much work DF puts into these videos. Most impressed with the unpatched games with dynamic resolution.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't wrong on this front. I disagree that the Pro isn't a half assed step. It's felt like a waste of money on my end. That's on me, though. I could have stayed with my OG PS4 and rode it out until PS5. I don't feel that way with the jump between One and X.
The xbox one was weaker than Ps4 so the jump would be higher anyway, and the extra year allowed more improvements, not sure what's so special about that? I mean it's pretty standard stuff.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
360 Games are detailed in the hardware review. Screen comparisons of the 4 4k supported games as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsoft-xbox-one-x-review

Microsoft's support for Xbox 360 is no less impressive - and you can feel the difference straight away with lightning fast loading speeds. We instantly put the hardware to the test by rolling out two of our favourite games - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Bayonetta. Both aim for 60fps but fall well short on original hardware. There are clear advantages to running these games on the standard Xbox One, but neither lock to 60fps, still dropping frames in the most intense scenes. Xbox One X achieves a clean result here, offering the smoothest experience we've seen.

Pushing emulation to the limit here isn't easy, but we thought we'd roll out Grand Theft Auto 4 with its unlocked frame-rate to see what happens. Original Xbox 360 hardware varies dramatically from the low 20s to around 40fps. In our tests, Xbox One X handed in performance from 35fps in the busiest city scenes to a full-fat 60fps in many cutscenes and less complex areas. It's not exactly the way we'd want to play the game but the performance bump is noticeable.

Oct 26, 2017
A fucking minute faster loading in Witcher 3? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeettttttttt that is so goddamned good. And that is Witcher 3 unpatched, maybe patched it will even improve over that. And man, BF1 is a massive difference. Isn't it 720p on Xbox One?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The difference in the universal improvements here between the 1X and the Pro really show how much thought the companies put into their mid-gen revisions, respectively, even totally ignoring the gap in 4K performance between them.

Two additional generations of backwards compatibility getting this sort of treatment would have felt unbelievable a year ago. This is more than "the icing on the cake," that's a substantial offering.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While the xbox was somewhat weaker I think the argument could also be made that the jump with the X is higher compared to both systems. PS4 going from 1.8 to ~4.3tf just didn't provide the kind of jump needed to make a lot of noticeable improvements like the jump to 6 did with xbox. I also think MS did a better job at designing the hardware to incorporate a lot of these changes on a system wide level whereas Sony didn't do anything and left it all up to each developer.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The xbox one was weaker than Ps4 so the jump would be higher anyway, and the extra year allowed more improvements, not sure what's so special about that? I mean it's pretty standard stuff.
I never said it wasn't standard. I'm just stating how I see it. Pro is fine, but wasn't necessary for Sony, I feel. MS needed X just to stay relevant to a degree. It's a weird middle ground.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think the GPU side of things is right there with the Pro and X, be surprised if native 4K isn't the buzz word of next gen, but a beefy CPU is the next step. Been lacking for a while. Cell 2 for PS5, Cerny.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference in the universal improvements here between the 1X and the Pro really show how much thought the companies put into their mid-gen revisions, respectively, even totally ignoring the gap in 4K performance between them.
No it shows what an extra year of hardware improvements and being $500 can give you....This narrative that "Pro" was half assed or not thought out well is hilarious.

Why are you talking about sales of the Pro in a Digital Foundry Performance thread about load times and framerates on the X1X?
Because someone accused pro of being half assed...and that's the way the convo went. Read the convo maybe?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

Love my Pro. But I agree Sony could've waited and got similar results.