• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
They shouldn't rush out the next version of this game, just let people use backward compatibility for now and patch it when it's been fully optimized.
They are probably giving you the maxed out settings from the PC. The game would probably need a complete overhaul which won't happen until the next Codemasters game. Welcome to new console cross gen hell.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this on my OLED and it just looks worse.
Ehhh

Definitely not a looker.

Just watched that on my OLED in 4K thinking it would be better....yeah nah. Not a looker at all

man like 5 minutes in, when he is showing the track pass over, and he is saying the water splashing over the rocks and how good it looks..... like wth haha it looks absolutely terrible. Like a 2d sprite or something. It honest just looks like an I pressed PS4 game.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
arstechnica.com

DiRT 5 and our first Xbox Series X “enhanced” tests: 120Hz saves the uneven ride [Updated]

A bleeding-edge Xbox Series X feature impresses, but it deserves a prettier game.

this article has galleries for comparison between graphics mode and 120hz mode.

EDIT: Ok just saw it was already posted above, oops.

120fps mode ain't exactly something that makes me run to the store and buy a HDMI 2.1 TV.
You don't need HDMI 2.1 to run games at 120 FPS.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Not too impressed with this. The snow footage I watched a few days ago was pretty good. But feels like a mixed bag visually.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If it's 4K non-dynamic res with locked 120fps that's nice, but visually this looks like a Xbox One or PS4 launch game...

SoLDieN

Jan 17, 2018
España
Between this and Craig: Infinite, MS is certainly gunning for that prestigious "worst looking next gen preview shots" award...

I couldn't help it

nYzyDKZ.jpg

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be interested to see if anyone actually wants to play in 120fps, given the large list of sacrifices.
Like everyone on PC does all the time for high frame rates?

Also I think people are exaggerating how bad this looks. It looks pretty good. I don't see a difference between this and Forza Horizon except that this looks like it has more fun/traditional racing tracks.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Game doesn't look particularly great visually but it looks fun enough. I haven't really bothered with the mainline Dirt series since the original and Rally since the first game got a PSVR patch but I was never too fond of them. Maybe I'll pick this up at a discount after launch if I want some 120 FPS racing but it's certainly not a showcase title.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm getting Dirt5 along with my PS5 because I love what I've seen of the gameplay but man the graphics quality is disappointing.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017

Also I think people are exaggerating how bad this looks. It looks pretty good. I don't see a difference between this and Forza Horizon except that this looks like it has more fun/traditional racing tracks.
Agree, it looks great at times, it doesn't look like that fugly screen shot at all times.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Youtube needs a 120fps mode ASAP

What it really needs is the option to disable high fps mode in high resolutions... my rig is away from me at the moment (since March... and it will remain that way until the pandemic dies down) and having to use my brother's 2012 laptop as the best currently available PC to me in the house frequently means I basically can't watch anything past 480p since anything gameplay footage related that's 720p or upwards these days is always 60fps and his laptop can't handle that at all even though it handles standard non-60fps 720/1080p just fine. Really bizarre you can't choose to turn it off. I've tried out several addons that supposedly "fix" that but no luck.
-.-'

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno why era is constantly acting like dirt 5 is some first party next gen exclusive title that HAS to be a top notch graphical showcase.
and even then, looking at the ign video, the game has fantastic weather effects, the night racing looks great, and the asset detail also looks a good level above codemasters previous games.

and anyway, the game looks fun as fuck after the dirt 4 misstep

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
This is gonna be the new thing for years now won't it? Taking screenshots at certain points and refer to Craig....

Overall i like the look of the game. Nice tracks, good sounds. And i think it looks like a return to form for the Dirt-series (not counting the Dirt Rally-spinoffs)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see screen tearing / frame pacing issues.

I hope the preview part is why framerate mode isn't hitting 60fps consistently. I'd expect resolution mode to be locked 30fps and framerate to be locked 60 with dynamic res covering any fluctuations to ensure it sticks to that framerate. Hope it gets there in the final game but they should almost be gold by now..

VRR might make unlocked framerate more attractive for devs. but most people don't have VRR so I hope there is still a focus on those users. If a game is running 30-40fps just lock it at 30

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is why games on console will continue to target 30fps. Can't have shit.

Oct 31, 2017
Looks pretty awful graphically. I expected much better.

If these are the sacrifices needed for 120fps, I think they should stick to 30fps and 60fps .

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the preview part is why framerate mode isn't hitting 60fps consistently. I'd expect resolution mode to be locked 30fps and framerate to be locked 60 with dynamic res covering any fluctuations to ensure it sticks to that framerate. Hope it gets there in the final game but they should almost be gold by now..

VRR might make unlocked framerate more attractive for devs. but most people don't have VRR so I hope there is still a focus on those users. If a game is running 30-40fps just lock it at 30

VRR won't even activate from 30-40 on most tvs. I think on the cx it's 120 to 40.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think people need to be reminded how good FH4 looks

Most gamers take for granted how FH and FM look and perform because they're just racing games. Just racing games isn't easy. That said, I do feel for all these devs trying to make it for launch. Between dev kits and APIs coming in late, immature tools and covid, this is one hell of an uphill climb for them.

Dirt 5 looks fun despite the fact it doesn't look pretty.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I watched through some of the videos and found it more good than impressive. I'm not super familiar with Dirt, so I don't know if this is in line with what to expect from the series, though?

I wouldn't be in the market for it either way since I'm not really a racing guy, but I guess I expected more visually.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
sorry codies but this looks rough. FH4 still looks considerably better. I guess Covid and so many versions has taken its toll.
I was tempted to buy but this has held me off.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Yes this isn't MS showcasing a SX game. This is the D5 embargo lifting and people just showing a 3rd party game.

Sucks as I had this pre-ordered to show me some SX graphics and I fear I'll be skipping the launch of this game now. Weather effects in early preview vids were pretty impressive so not sure what's going on.

I'll just dig back into FH4 as it will have a SX patch on release day

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
The 4K quality mode video features very noticeable screen tearing, what the hell? This isn't a great showcase at all.

Yeah, those tracks taking 10-15 seconds to load is bizarre. Hope some major optimizations happen before launch.
This close to launch? Either that's a very old build or it isn't happening. Aaron Greenberg said that much about Halo Infinite, that they had a long time to improve the game (4 months to launch or ~3 months to gold) and then they delayed it.

There's a chance that most games this year will not take much advantage of the custom SSD improvements, particularly cross-gen titles such as this one, so expect some games to just feel unoptimized. And does this mean the PS4/XBO version will need about 1 minute to load every time?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Everyone on PC puts up with:
-dynamic res that maxes out near 1080p and drops below during busy scenes
-noticeable pop-in of textures and shadows
-mountains that look like " college-grade assets purchased directly from the Unity development store "
-removed crowds and trees

Just to hit 120fps? Like I'm sure they reduce some settings but this is exceedingly aggressive.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is definitely not a looker, but looks fun enough.

Probably the closest I'll get to a motorstorm for a long while...