Oct 27, 2017
People only concentrate on the graphics, while I sit here hyped for the actual gameplay. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Meanwhile I have little issue with how this looks, but think it generally looks boring as shit with track effects/deformation that seem underwhelming even compared to what arcade racers were doing two console generations ago.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
They'd already pretty much lost me when the regular rally mode wasn't included. But now it looks rough AF it's a hard pass. I'll stick with WRC9 for now.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game does look pretty fun, and I like how much diversity there is to race types and track design.

That said, graphically outside of the high resolution or IQ, it doesn't look better than the best looking current gen games, let alone next-gen. The dirt effects (notably those that build over or around your car) in some of the videos particularly stand out as unconvincing and far too light or inconsequential, which is especially ironic given the game is called....well...Dirt lol.

I also think the sound design could do with more aggression, not just with some of the vehicle engine or exhaust sounds, but also contact or collision sounds too, some of which sound far too light and insignificant.

Also, in some of the videos I'm getting a tonne of judder or tearing (eg the GameSpot 4K Ice Drifting and Rally video). Is that normal? Now that I mention it, I'm seeing lots of tearing in the gameplay captures from multiple different outlets.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
There are better looking cross gen titles, I dunno what happened here. Early videos looked better than current gameplay vids.

Looks more or less the same as always to me.
Not spectacular, non that bad.
Still a good deal richer than the only other comparable 4k60 racer we have on One X.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Looking rough. I wonder what MS is saving for the blowout showpiece.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until cross gen is in the rear view. Pun absolutely intended.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We've got footage of all three modes here too:

4K Image Quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKp7X2HBNMM
4K Frame Rate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cMBxZTmuU
120Hz Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzizzR3X7r4

and our preview that goes into 120Hz mode a little bit more and the things that are removed to get there:

press-start.com.au

Dirt 5 Xbox Series X Hands-On Preview - Feel The Power

Dirt 5 Xbox Series X Hands-On Preview - Feel The Power
Interesting, didn't expect such big cutbacks to hit 120fps for a crossgen game.

Dirt-5-XSX-Visual.jpg

XSX-120.jpg

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The screen tearing is soo awful. They should treat this release like Cyberpunk - just release the regular Xbox version then patch it when it's ready, it's so dumb/tone deaf to show in this state.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Well considering until a month or so ago you needed pretty much a $1000 graphics card to outperform the next-gen consoles, I guess so?
I honestly don't know what people were expecting. We aren't going to go from games targeting 30fps to games targeting 120fps with minimal cut backs...

Still, options are nice.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to blindly purchase this but so far doesnt look impressive

Gonna stick with the forzas for a while

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Digital Foundry put up a video with way better looking footage, the ign one looks horrible imo.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The Digital Foundry video looks so much better than this. I'm guessing better capture equipment and attention to encoding. It's also not washed out, which indicates that the other videos shown here probably have a mismatch between HDR capture and playback.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
That looks awful.

When backwards compat looks better than optimized games, you understand why they went with that route

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I dont think people should judge this game too harshly. Its pretty easy to tell in this scenario since they had to develop for 4 Xbox SKUs and 3 PS SKUs and PC? That there probably are compromises made and what we are seeing here is more than Likely the upper bound of the game given those limitations seems to me they may have went the way of lowest build and then up the quality vs the opposite direction of Build the Highest SKU first then optimize down.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Shitty video capture is going to be a real problem this generation. Lots of people are making up their minds based on this Gamespot video, and the problem is the video capture equipment, compression, and HDR settings, not the game itself. Not to mention that they aren't clear about what "mode" the game is in for capturing. If they are capturing 120Hz video but only playing back half the frames, you aren't seeing the full benefit.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Not the most impressive graphically, but it looks like a fun time. Excited to pick this up at launch, hopefully!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Bro, no crowd? Lmao.

The 120Hz mode drops the crowd down to near zero. But you're not seeing the benefit of the 120Hz mode in this video (it's 60Hz), so you can't make the call as to whether this is a good trade off for you.

The other modes have various levels of crowds and increased shadow resolution.

Watch the Digital Foundry video instead.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
The Digital Foundry video looks so much better than this. I'm guessing better capture equipment and attention to encoding. It's also not washed out, which indicates that the other videos shown here probably have a mismatch between HDR capture and playback.

Wow this looks miles better from the other footage from other outlets... crazy there's such a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
The 120Hz mode drops the crowd down to near zero. But you're not seeing the benefit of the 120Hz mode in this video (it's 60Hz), so you can't make the call as to whether this is a good trade off for you.

The other modes have various levels of crowds and increased shadow resolution.

Watch the Digital Foundry video instead.
100% agreed. The DF video made the IGN video looked rushed and not professional. Also, IGN needs to get upgrade gear so they can do these properly.

I don't care what next gen system you get, but you need to remember one thing: Cross gen titles at a console launch is not the best way to showcase a console graphics power. This is where PS5 has the advantage of the Series X (I'm getting the Series X BTW) as they have first party games pretty much ready to go at launch. Unless MS has something up there sleeve.

To me, Dirt 5 looks good. If you like those type of game, then pick it up for your PS5/Xbox Series X|S.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the DF video seems a bit better.

Still, game looks a bit bland lighting-wise, but yeah, it seems news outlets need better capturing equipment for next gen consoles?