show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I'll pass then. Maybe if this game survives the test of time I'll try it. Indie RPG's are a dime a dozen these days and all of them have very positive feedback but to be honest most end up being quite boring and unremarkable, only Age of Decadence was really good to me, maybe Underrail also if you use speed hacks and other tools to make the jankiness bearable. Plus I already got burned last week with Indivisible, I'm not buying another 40€ game that I know little about just because it's an RPG that the community is excited about.
there's quite a lot to read up on out there, to be fair.

EDIT: wait hold on, you know little about this game but if it had a character creator you'd have bought it?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll pass then. Maybe if this game survives the test of time I'll try it. Indie RPG's are a dime a dozen these days and all of them have very positive feedback but to be honest most end up being quite boring and unremarkable, only Age of Decadence was really good to me, maybe Underrail also if you use speed hacks and other tools to make the jankiness bearable. Plus I already got burned last week with Indivisible, I'm not buying another 40€ game that I know little about just because it's an RPG that the community is excited about.

Far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money, but I will say if you liked Age of Decadence then this might be right up your alley.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This community and every other major site that covers PC gaming

Also this probably falls in the same category of Age of Decadence in terms of dedicated roleplay, but without the traditional combat

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
My dude you're on the internet. Just spend 10 minutes actually looking up the game before making a big deal over the most basic of info.

I did. If you search for games around their release window everyone says its the best thing since Fallout 2. If you search again 15 days later most are saying the game was not all that/was trash e.g that latest H.P Lovecraft RPG.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Just discovered this gem but its too fucking bad that i don't have an option to play with WASD and have to click to do freaking everything and on top of it, there's no voice acting. Despite how outstanding it looks and probably is, i can't get immersed in a world where there's no voice acting and where iam not allowed to play without mouse clicks.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered this gem but its too fucking bad that i don't have an option to play with WASD and have to click to do freaking everything and on top of it, there's no voice acting. Despite how outstanding it looks and probably is, i can't get immersed in a world where there's no voice acting and where iam not allowed to play without mouse clicks.
There is a ton of voice acting. It's just not fully voice acted

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Have you ever played a crpg before lol

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Have you ever played a crpg before lol

Barely with these sort of RPGs.. i believe last time i played a game like this was... way back in the early 2000s, a game called Sanity: Aiken's Artifact. I don't really remember if it had any RPG elements but it was the most similar game to this i have played aside from uhh starcraft 2: wings of liberty single player campaign which is a strategy based point and click game but yeah.

This looked intriguing and interesting enough to try but a no WASD control system is a killer for me.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Not sure if this is a big site, but from the PC thread:

It is the best French site.

The Google-translated conclusion of the review is:
Thanks to original and meticulously crafted ideas, Disco Elysium tells a solid and captivating story, evoking a gargantuan range of emotions. The impressive responsiveness of the game, its fascinating lyrics (alas in English) and the completely crazy directions in which the hero is free to go, all of these give this game a special status. An adventure with incalculable range, which breathes mastery, and outclasses all of what the Western role-play has produced for the past twenty years.

You might want to update the OP with it rather than the introduction of the review.

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Barely with these sort of RPGs.. i believe last time i played a game like this was... way back in the early 2000s, a game called Sanity: Aiken's Artifact. I don't really remember if it had any RPG elements but it was the most similar game to this i have played aside from uhh starcraft 2: wings of liberty single player campaign which is a strategy based point and click game but yeah.

This looked intriguing and interesting enough to try but a no WASD control system is a killer for me.

I guess chalk one up for the people who hate WASD and like mouse clicks then, lol. Not everyone gets to win for every game. At least if it comes to console you'll be able to use a joystick to navigate around.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If the game is successful (it will), they'll probably add controller support for PC down the road. They already have plans for console versions anyway.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
There is a ton of voice acting. It's just not fully voice acted
This game would've taken forever to make if it was fully voiced.

Safe to say if you don't like reading in games then stay away from this game.

Kinda silly to pass on the game because it doesn't have WASD. Watch some previews, you spend a majority of your time in dialogue trees. It's not like Diablo where you click around to move like a madman

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Doesn't the game have more than a million words? Imagine voice acting all of it.

From what I've heard, there's already plenty of voiced lines. Probably 25% of total words.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
As always, mainstream sites can't be bothered with PC exclusive games such as this. If it becomes a mega hit though, then they might be inclined to review it.
yeah
Lh6RWUS.png

Oct 27, 2017
9/10 + Reviewer's choice (Gamekult's official policy is to never hand out 10s so it's their maximum score) is a joke when the game isn't even available in French. Same goes with Canard PC.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I'm terrified to jump in this when I have several other 1000+ hour RPGs on the docket

but dammnit i want it

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always, mainstream sites can't be bothered with PC exclusive games such as this. If it becomes a mega hit though, then they might be inclined to review it.
I think I saw both Gamespot and IGN reviewers tweeting about it as well. It is a long game and some folks dont work weekends at all.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
IGN UK was singing their praises of this in their recent podcast, Kotaku also had early hour impressions, and writers from other large sites have tweeted impressions. You can expect reviews from big sites

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN UK was singing their praises of this in their recent podcast, Kotaku also had early hour impressions, and writers from other large sites have tweeted impressions. You can expect reviews from big sites
Also unless I am mistaken, just looking at IGN's First 10. They have Outer Worlds. Might be busy with that lol

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
9/10 + Reviewer's choice (Gamekult's official policy is to never hand out 10s so it's their maximum score) is a joke when the game isn't even available in French. Same goes with Canard PC.

There are quite a few games that don't get translated to French, Spanish, Italian or other European languages. It's somewhat understandable specially for lower budget games, and specially for one with as much text as this I'd imagine the costs would not be negligible. Sucks for the people who don't speak English but that's the way things are.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are quite a few games that don't get translated to French, Spanish, Italian or other European languages. It's somewhat understandable specially for lower budget games, and specially for one with as much text as this I'd imagine the costs would not be negligible. Sucks for the people who don't speak English but that's the way things are.
To add to this, I believe I read somewhere that they would love to translate it into more languages. Imagine it's just a matter of time and resources.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
It's rare these days that reviews will pique my interest re: a game. This is one of those rare cases. Nicely done devs (whoever you are!).

Oct 25, 2017
Available for purchase on GoG, comes with free copy of Underrail.

www.gog.com

GOG.com

Download the best classic and new games on Windows, Mac & Linux. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies and 30-day money-back guarantee.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I've already seen critics from IGN and Gamespot raving about the game on twitter, they're presumably still working their way through it. Unless you'd rather them rush out a review to hit a non-existent embargo deadline.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
RPS have their review out (no score, since it's RPS, and no Bestest Best badge either):

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/15/disco-elysium-review/
It does deserve to be compared to yer Planescapes, yer Fallouts, even if it hasn't stepped totally out from their long shadows. It's a great, bleak rumination on the failings of humanity on a macro and micro level. But not without hope. A masterpiece, but flawed, and proof positive that if ZA/UM can do flawed masterpiece for their first outing, they might already be chipping away the flaws in time for their next.

Positive, but a bit more restrained than some of the other reviews.