• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonus poll

• I try to stay optimistic, it can always get better!

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I maintain my cynicism so I don't get disappointed when things go sour.

Votes: 103 69.1%

• Total voters

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Being a newbie in a small Discord server is the shits. You always get interrogated "WHO ARE YOU?! WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!" like its some top secret mission or something -_- like m8 I don't mean to interrupt your high school clique fantasy I'm just trying to shoot the breeze about music and memes and what not. Whats the deal with Discord cliques?

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Had this happen recently, and I felt like I was being interrogated lol. They're a good bunch of people, but they were really interested in knowing as much about me as humanly possible in that first week I joined.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Discord cliques don't want snitches that are going to report to the people they badmouth on those servers.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Some guilds in MMOs can act like that and even more in Guild Discords. I've had to pick my moments to launch a joke or say something of interest to sort of make friends. I get nervous like a middle schooler still when I want to be in that group. What's that quote about not wanting to be a member of an organization that wants me as a member?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean basic human nature that is applicable to every possible scenario where a small, tight-knit group encounters an outsider?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I never had this happen and I'm part of a couple Giant Bomb and other forums discord servers, everyone seemed to be cool and ready to chat without asking questions.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've definitely witnessed this and it does genuinely feel like high school. It's pretty sad.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All replies in this thread after mine, I say we greet with cold disapproval and grill with borderline-intrusive questions until they prove themselves worthy.

I've never participated or been outcast from a discord clique. Help me practice here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I've never even used discord, not sure what it is... is it like Slack but not for work?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, to a certain degree, this seems to be the case

i especially dislike how community discords and moderation (are rumoured to) interact with each other
Well, that sucks. Cliques in general kind of suck. I hate them at work. Anytime I have lunch with one of the cliques, I end up having to listen to them talking shit about other coworkers. It is like high school all over again.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn, that was fast. They must've really not liked that introduction.

I think I said "Hi" and that was about it. I'm guessing that I was invited by someone without permission and one of the admins knew me from the boards and disliked me. I believe it was called "ChaosERA."

I don't really care, I've just always found it to be an odd situation. Random unsolicited Discord invite from somebody I don't know followed by getting summarily kicked out an hour later without explanation. Shit is wack.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I said "Hi" and that was about it. I'm guessing that I was invited by someone without permission and one of the admins knew me from the boards and disliked me. I believe it was called "ChaosERA."

I don't really care, I've just always found it to be an odd situation. Random unsolicited Discord invite from somebody I don't know followed by getting summarily kicked out an hour later without explanation. Shit is wack.

ChaosERA, explain thyself!

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I do ask whats up with people who come in my bud's Discord but that's because it's private and most of the new people that get invited are given invites by one guy who hands them out like candy and half of them are terrible people.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With that being said: I've also found some good Discords here and met some of my best friends through them.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the name is an accurate description. They just exist in a state of chaos.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same thing in real life. Most work places are just an extension of highschool when it comes to clique mentality.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they operate on Tinder rules where "hi/hey" is frowned upon

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Never had this happen

I have, however, been a mod on a server and not recognize someone and ask in mod chat if anyone can vouch for them to make sure they aren't a troll or harasser, which sadly has happened there. But im not gonna interrogate them to like their face or anything lol

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Is this true? or are you lying?

Because I've already lied in this thread, and I'm not sure if I accidentally turned this into a lying thread now.
Nope. We actually discuss what we post about and how we respond to one another. Started on the old site, it makes us more popular here because we manufacture our image.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

so what was going on in there

OP
OP
out_of_touch

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
again, you have to enable the option that answers be publicly viewable if you want to know what specific people pick. i've already told you this!
I disable it to respect the privacy of the poll-goers, but between you and me I encourage you to share your poll choice so I can get closure for our long going poll saga. It wouldn't leave this thread, promise!

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I have a friend who loves being in over a dozen discord channels and is always looking to join more. He's very extroverted though, and drama tends to bounce off him. Some people seem to take it far too seriously, so don't rise to their levels and instead let it roll off you and chat bullshit.

Meanwhile, high traffic servers give me anxiety so I stick to the tiny one I made.