• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonus poll

• I try to stay optimistic, it can always get better!

Votes: 46 30.9%
  • I maintain my cynicism so I don't get disappointed when things go sour.

Votes: 103 69.1%

• Total voters

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly though, I don't give two shits what people on the internet think about me. But if I try to participate in conversation and get repeatedly ignored or, worse imo, immediately shit on for not agreeing with the "popular poster" has to say (especially when this person gets immediately hostile) I'm out. No thanks. I love myself more than that!
Case in point...I literally just checked one of the ERA discords I'm in, for a game, and people are complaining about not being to make a racist joke on here. Not only is that bad...but how about talking about the actual game that the Discord is for? Like who wants to see that in the game's general chat?

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's another problem with some ERA servers on Discord...people lurk here on the boards passively, and then have all types of aggressive gossip and nasty things to say about people because they didn't like an opinion, or you said something positive about a game made by EA/Activision/UbiSoft. It's really sad.
I know there was a fallout in one of my discord groups. Shit happens between people, someone got ban cause reasons. Then I found out there was a secret discord clique made for shit talking about that people in that original discord.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Case in point...I literally just checked one of the ERA discords I'm in, for a game, and people are complaining about not being to make a racist joke on here. Not only is that bad...but how about talking about the actual game that the Discord is for? Like who wants to see that in the game's general chat?

I don't mind a "general chat" kind of thing for a specific type of discord, assuming it's not like people just shitting on each other and its more to like learn about people who enjoy what you enjoy and used to make more friends or something.

But shit like that has to go, yeah. Thankfully I haven't encountered anything like that.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The PokeCommunity Discord is a prime example of this. Everyone in there talks in memes and inside jokes, and if you don't, you are ignored forever.

I can't really speak of what happened when you were there, but I don't think it was really intentional. The Pokemon Community is pretty old, around 8 years now, and started as a group of friends hanging out but I think I can speak for everyone when I say we appreciate new faces. Having said that, everyone's human and sometimes conversations and people fall through the cracks. So, I apologize for your experience.

Also I hate teh memez.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get an invite to the Android ERA discord despite being a semi-active poster in the GAF thread and having met at least one of the existing members in person.

I haven't had any other problems.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
the canadian gaming deals discord is all one massive clique focused around 428 shibuya scramble

and i caused this

That's great lol.

IMG_20181008_213710.jpg

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Please invite me to your super secret high intensity clique chatty groups.

I will make sure to make my entrance as awkward for you as possible.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
IRC was defined by its cliques back in the day. There was so much intra-channel and inter-channel drama. The cliques usually formed into mod groups, and whether you were in or out depended on your status.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of joining discords with people you don't know is bizarre to me to begin with tbh. I only use it to talk 1 on 1 with my pals.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never had that happen to me when joining a new server. I lurk a lot of the servers I join except for a few. Most of them are from ERA and one for my irl friends, but most of them are never on.
Maybe I should join more anime discord servers?

Oct 25, 2017
To actually respond to the OP, I've been in servers I've found cliquey. One server I'm kind of a part of that clique, but I try to be inviting. The other one I never got in, and it just felt like I was speaking into the ether so I left. Nowadays I try to stick to smaller, more personal servers, where the "clique" is just the server itself rather than having cliques within the server.

juices no

Juices

alt account
Banned
Mar 3, 2019
To actually respond to the OP, I've been in servers I've found cliquey. One server I'm kind of a part of that clique, but I try to be inviting. The other one I never got in, and it just felt like I was speaking into the ether so I left. Nowadays I try to stick to smaller, more personal servers, where the "clique" is just the server itself rather than having cliques within the server.

juices no

I'm sure she's just misunderstood

Last edited:

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely felt like it's hard to get into some communities because of the cliqueyness, but part of that is definitely on me too, as someone who is very bad at talking to people. I'm only active in like one, and it hasn't ever seemed weird when new people join.