• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I always double check that on anything original trilogy, it's not a huge pair of books either(there was a third enemy guide that didn't get reprinted with the main two a few years back sadly). Only thing that predates it are the toys and novelizations. Now it's possible the name showed up in the toy line first but the fartherest back I can definitively find is the sourcebook
I often find the publication history (or just in general why and how those decision were made) to be more interesting than the the in universe "history" itself, but it's so much harder to find that info.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
rsz-1screenshot-168.png

the tears

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slavery exists in Star Wars, Episode 1 and Last Jedi showcase this. So this feels pointless.
I'm in agreement. While it's not worth making a big stink about, it often feels very counter productive to whitewash evil or immorality in fiction. Those things are in fiction for a reason, as moral absolutes to which our heroes strive for or against. When you keep dulling down the evil acts or practices of antagonists because of their real world parallels not only do you diminish the impact of the narrative, more importantly you set a precedent that these evils are to be ignored rather than discussed.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone upset about this is on par with the people dying on the hills of "you can't cancel Dr. Seuss!" and "he'll always be MISTER Potato Head to me!"

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a millennial I've always found the name Millennium Falcon offensive, can we please change that into Boomer Eagle or something like that.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I disagree with this change. Art should be allowed to tackle controversial or sensitive subjects and its for the good of everyone that it can continue to do just that.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've a vague impression, probably from Tales of the Bounty Hunters, that Boba called it that because he slaved it to a remote device - it's a computer term.

This predated Jango's existence and Boba being turned into a clone.

Probably there are other in-universe explanations from different authors.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
In a recent episode of the Bad Batch (Rampage), there were literal slavers, and Bobba Fett is not a hero but a bounty hunter. So why is this an issue for the Star Wars universe? Seems silly for Disney to ask Lego to do this.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Now is as good a time as any to change the name, ahead of the Book of Boba Fett an' all that, and they're thankfully not making a big fuss about it either. I wish more people and corporations were less self-congratulatory about simple, sensible changes like these.

What does that have to do with slavery? He was a bounty hunter and there was a bounty on Han Solo because he didn't pay off his debts. You don't really expect any of the people involved in a criminal underworld to be nice, do you?

By the same logic, shouldn't the name of Boba Fett's ship not be nice??

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah if you're mad about this idk. It's not that important.

Like, you can still call itself that all you want. That's still its name. But for marketing/toy purposes it's Boba Fett's Starship. Only us nerds knew what it was called anyways.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
You know what else has caused untold misery throughout history? Wars. The thing that is the second part of the series title. Who perpetrated some of that? Knights. The title of the warriors within the order most fundamental to series.

The renaming of Slave 2 is an arbitrary thing to change; if that logic was taken to its ultimate extent, would result in the entire series not being suitable for children.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
were these out in the wild already? The slave named (LOL) ones must be worth even more, now.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Let me start by giving a general 'fuck Star Wars', in part for trivializing slavery as such a throwaway theme in its universe. When the fandom's closest association to the word 'slave' is 'Leia', you've probably done a really bad job of talking about slavery in your fiction.

But let me also say that I'm continuously disappointed in Disney for trying to have it both ways with Star Wars villains, who invoke slavery and Nazi imagery in one frame, and theme park appearances and toy sales in the next. Don't try to fuck around with these serious topics if you want people to join the Empire in your videogames.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Same reason they have a corner of Galaxy's Edge dedicated to selling First Order/Imperial propaganda merch. They need the fascism etc to seem "fun".

Oh come on, people like First Order because of the cool white armor and the fact that people like bad guys in scifi shows, you don't really think it's popular because of fascism? I've hated fascism all my life, I've been against right-wing politics since I knew anything about politics, and still I find the First Order, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren - all that - very cool. I don't see any symbolism there, it's a made up faction in a made up world. "Propaganda merch"? :D Lol.

It's like saying Diablo fans like it because of satanism, lol :)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I take this as part of their attempt to turn him into an anti-hero of sorts.

Not that big of an issue but truth is that Slave 1 was a great name. It hilighted how much of a prick he was. That he didn't care for the standards of decent society. That his ship was unique (even though Firespray is a class).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Oh come on, people like First Order because of the cool white armor and the fact that people like bad guys in scifi shows, you don't really think it's popular because of fascism? I've hated fascism all my life, I've been against right-wing politics since I knew anything about politics, and still I find the First Order, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren - all that - very cool. I don't see any symbolism there, it's a made up faction in a made up world. "Propaganda merch"? :D Lol.

2021-Star-Wars-Galaxys-Edge-Batuu-First-Order-Propaganda-Poster-Mystery-Pins.jpg

Because obviously Star Wars doesn't take any inspiration from real world fascism or historical allegory...

Star Wars News | StarWars.com

Visit StarWars.com to get the all latest news and updates, and test your knowledge with fun quizzes!

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
the name wasn't what made me like it. It was that cool flippy mechanism it does when it takes off and lands.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

cD28nVR0y1P_Kc01C0pVp0A3I6mXf3e52dpuXZitKO-2tbK367u32mgtO9gWJFYHGP5FP-gVvhKx_8eb-B2sUtB7r-tZG4UWYpmSsEiCyfXJ6JmV8GsSa2FqcvQ7O8nVflZXNmI

ukkesa7pcaj31.jpg

These shots in the movie are direct references to Nazi propaganda films. It was intentionally made that way. Which would be fine if the intention was only to make anti-fascism commentary. But they turn around and sell these guys as toys and fun character experiences at the parks. You join their ranks in Star Wars games. It's all just one big both-sides farce.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
cD28nVR0y1P_Kc01C0pVp0A3I6mXf3e52dpuXZitKO-2tbK367u32mgtO9gWJFYHGP5FP-gVvhKx_8eb-B2sUtB7r-tZG4UWYpmSsEiCyfXJ6JmV8GsSa2FqcvQ7O8nVflZXNmI

ukkesa7pcaj31.jpg

These shots in the movie are direct references to Nazi propaganda films. It was intentionally made that way. Which would be fine if the intention was only to make anti-fascism commentary. But they turn around and sell these guys as toys and fun character experiences at the parks. You join their ranks in Star Wars games. It's all just one big both-sides farce.
But this didn't start with Disney so it's odd you're only pointing them out.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Kids and adults both like Boba Fett, regardless of whether or not he's a heroic character, and making a sympathetic character a slaver is insanely problematic. Also, offhandedly putting slavery into your media property very likely serves to desensitize kids to the true atrocities of slavery. There's no good reason for keeping the name other than nostalgia.
But regardless of the name or not, he does deal in slaves. His major moment in the OT that got him his popularity is literally selling Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. Changing the name of the ship isn't going to change that fact.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
But regardless of the name or not, he does deal in slaves. His major moment in the OT that got him his popularity is literally selling Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt. Changing the name of the ship isn't going to change that fact.

I feel like saying Boba Fett sold Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt as a slave is a stretch. He was fulfilling a bounty, one sanctioned by the guild.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What does that have to do with slavery? He was a bounty hunter and there was a bounty on Han Solo because he didn't pay off his debts. You don't really expect any of the people involved in a criminal underworld to be nice, do you?
I guess it's all semantics at that point. How would you call a situation where one human (or Mandalorian, or whatever) being sells another human being for money against his will to someone else?

I mean, using your "Fett was a bounty hunter, Han Solo was a bounty, nothing to do with slavery" argument, someone could also argue the same way that slave catchers also had nothing to do with slavery itself. After all, they were also basically just bounty hunters that hunt people that got a bounty on them, they just were specialized a specific type of bounty.

Boba Fett is a villain that regularly dealt with fascists (The Empire) and definitely has handled in slaves/sentient beings and his appearance in Empire Strikes Back confirms this and honestly I feel a bit weird how Lucasfilm/Disney is now trying to turn Boba Fett in a hero. Of course, Disney properties have been shoddy with this kind of thing before. See for example how Yondu is somehow considered a good guy in Guardians of the Galaxy despite kidnapping and selling young children for years (and who knows what else).