• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Who is some? It's straight from Disney's mouth. Go check out the earnings reports to see that the parks have been underperforming.
After years of insane growth. I'm not saying that Chapek was instrumental to that either but I just don't think that Disney is quite seeing that maybe Chapek's decision are what's actually causing a very small decline.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Iger was on Bill Simmons podcast recently and eluded that he'd be stepping down in tbe next couole years.

Guy was a force at Disney also if was a great interview esp because iger was technically Simmons top boss during his beef with espn. Can't Google it now but go look for it it was about a week ago or so.

Lot of respect for iger for his work at Disney and he seems really introspective.

Here it is it's a good interview

youtu.be

Disney CEO Robert Iger on the Streaming Wars and Leadership Lessons | The Bill Simmons Podcast

HBO and The Ringer’s Bill Simmons is joined by Disney CEO Robert Iger to discuss his book The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned From 15 Years As CEO of the...

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems ill advised to go with Chapek since he's basically the head of Disney's biggest duds over the last decade.

I feel like the only choice that might be worse would be Kathleen Kennedy

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Surprised he stepped down this soon, since he's still contracted to stay as CEO for another year. Though he is still the chairman as of now?

No matter how one feels about the quality of Disney films, Iger was definitely an excellent CEO that got shit done! Plus the 180 he did for the company after the Eisner years.

And I'm also barely hearing about this Bob Chapek now. Yeesh, so that explains why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge didn't turn out so well at first? Not really confident how he will manage the company as a whole. Just hope it doesn't have a significant effect on the creative efforts of Feige and friends.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
All I want to know is what will this mean for diversity, inclusion, and representation in future Disney properties moving forward.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Hm. This is fast. Weirdly fast.

Either he's announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Nomination, or there's something unsavoury that he wants to get out ahead of. Like, he wants his successor to be holding the bag or something.

Coronavirus and potential parks shutting down is my guess. Not something he wants to deal with at the end of his run.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's been at the helm for 15 years and he'll be 70 this year. While he made no announcement prior it was thought that he'd be stepping down within the next couple years. There doesn't have to be an ulterior motive, global pandemics, or anything else. He's overseen the largest period of growth at Disney in generations, maybe ever going back to Walt or Roy, Disney owns Fox and his pet project, Disney+, has so far been a major success. He'll be on till 2021 as executive chairman and will certainly ease the transition.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
What about Bobs?

eydaDQF.jpg
I was thinking office space but this is a better movie. Cock a doodle doo motherfuckers.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Real grateful for the contributions Iger made as a whole. I can't remember the last time Disney was as unstoppable as during his tenure.

*sees his replacement* Well, at least the MCU was fun while it lasted.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if the new CEO will be gone by the time Iger's contract expires

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This guy better not fuck with Marvel Studios. If that is the case tho, well the Infinity Saga was fun while it lasted.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Truly the end of an era. Iger did a lot for the film part of the company and had a lot of clean-up to do on the international parks side. There's definitely been a lot left to be desired on the domestic park side, particularly over in Florida, but there's no doubt that he build one of the strongest portfolios in entertainment. I don't have a lot of confidence in Chapek due to his track record in the parks division, especially on the domestic front, but we know the way things work at Disney in those positions: sink or swim.

But yes, you can tell this was a sudden decision to get ahead of the upcoming losses. Might be a veiled way to test Chapek by seeing how he fends off the wolves since we are going to see the company dealing with the Coronavirus fallout on the film, parks and manufacturing timeline fronts. Interesting times ahead my friends.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After a dominant 2019 and the launch of Disney+, couldn't think of a better time to retire and end on a high.

(Well, maybe having a good Star Wars movie to wrap up the trilogy)

Oct 8, 2019
Not good under Chapek. He's a money guy. He'll go for any decision that makes him more money (appease China, etc.).

and that wasn't Iger?

Under Iger we got, a relaunch of Star Wars that outside of the Last Jedi was similar to the original trilogy, a massive number of live action remakes of Disney animated movies, promoting that ____ movie would have the first gay character in their franchise history only to have that character be a background character who mentions their gay lover once, or its some character who kisses in the background, and that scene would be cut in international airings.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
and that wasn't Iger?

Under Iger we got, a relaunch of Star Wars that outside of the Last Jedi was similar to the original trilogy, a massive number of live action remakes of Disney animated movies, promoting that ____ movie would have the first gay character in their franchise history only to have that character be a background character who mentions their gay lover once, or its some character who kisses in the background, and that scene would be cut in international airings.

Iger was a money man BUT he was also very hands off when it came to letting people run their own departments if they kept churning out hits. Far as I know he never really interfered with Feige and the MCU and even helped get him more independence by removing that racist fuckwad Pearlmutter from the chain of command so Feige reported to Iger directly.

From everything I heard about Chapek, he looks to be another micromanager whose only goal is to keep costs low.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Surprised he stepped down this soon, since he's still contracted to stay as CEO for another year. Though he is still the chairman as of now?

No matter how one feels about the quality of Disney films, Iger was definitely an excellent CEO that got shit done! Plus the 180 he did for the company after the Eisner years.

And I'm also barely hearing about this Bob Chapek now. Yeesh, so that explains why Star Wars Galaxy's Edge didn't turn out so well at first? Not really confident how he will manage the company as a whole. Just hope it doesn't have a significant effect on the creative efforts of Feige and friends.
The park that has had RotR boarding passes sell out in less than minutes after park opening. Get out of here.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The park that has had RotR boarding passes sell out in less than minutes after park opening. Get out of here.

That's actually due to capacity and throughput issues on the ride itself. The parks are not crazy crowded after the initial bumrush to get in; at least that's how's it's been over at Disneyland when I've gone on the weekends since Rise opened up. All that's happening is that attendence is being front-loaded; to be fair, that usually means more in food sales since you're keeping people in the gate longer.

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
Disney needs to get rid of this guy fast.

At D23 (Disney paid convention for hardcore fans) this guy went on to the Disney Parks Panel and talked about Disney forming a partnership with Target for nearly 20min in a 90min panel.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm critical of Iger in many ways but he's certainly better than his replacement.

Chapek is fucking awful.

Happy that Chapek is taken out of the Parks development since I am not a fan of his vision of slapping IP onto everything.

Though I know whoever takes over will ultimately report to him so I guess nothing will change.

A true visionary who knows where things belong...

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
This sort of leadership looks to be another Walt/Roy and Eisner/Wells dynamic.

Bob Iger staying around for the creative decision making is definitely reminiscent of what Walt Disney did before his passing.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. This is fast. Weirdly fast.

Either he's announcing his candidacy for the Democratic Nomination, or there's something unsavoury that he wants to get out ahead of. Like, he wants his successor to be holding the bag or something.

Have we all been watching Succession or something.

Tom was the Parks guy there right?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I'm critical of Iger in many ways but he's certainly better than his replacement.

Chapek is fucking awful.

A true visionary who knows where things belong...
And that park was turning out so good when Iger just entered the picture :(
Chapek came and said, oh i see you build a whole park anchored by this 1920s huge structure you can see from all around the park, why dont... i just slam this cheapo factory shit, put a big ip and call it a day...
Wait, while we are at it, downgrade buena vista street and destroy paradise pier, with i dont know... pixar maybe.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wouldn't be shocked if the new CEO will be gone by the time Iger's contract expires

I hope so. Chapek has NO positive traits. I've been following the parks pretty intently over the past few years and no one, ever (ever) has had a single nice thing to say about him. His singular goal seems to be figuring out how to wring as much money out of the consumer as possible.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I hope so. Chapek has NO positive traits. I've been following the parks pretty intently over the past few years and no one, ever (ever) has had a single nice thing to say about him. His singular goal seems to be figuring out how to wring as much money out of the consumer as possible.
Well yeah, that's probably the reason they're picking him for CEO.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually due to capacity and throughput issues on the ride itself. The parks are not crazy crowded after the initial bumrush to get in; at least that's how's it's been over at Disneyland when I've gone on the weekends since Rise opened up. All that's happening is that attendence is being front-loaded; to be fair, that usually means more in food sales since you're keeping people in the gate longer.
RotR is still instantly getting booked to max capacity for the entire day within 1 minute of the park opening. Hollywood Studios has massive lines long before the park opens every day. It hasn't gone down at all at Disney World.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
And that park was turning out so good when Iger just entered the picture :(
Chapek came and said, oh i see you build a whole park anchored by this 1920s huge structure you can see from all around the park, why dont... i just slam this cheapo factory shit, put a big ip and call it a day...
Wait, while we are at it, downgrade buena vista street and destroy paradise pier, with i dont know... pixar maybe.
Pretty much.

It's an incredibly sad thing to see.

RotR is still instantly getting booked to max capacity for the entire day within 1 minute of the park opening. Hollywood Studios has massive lines long before the park opens every day. It hasn't gone down at all at Disney World.
Ride capacity is a massively problematic thing at Disney nowadays and it's the main reason the parks are incredibly overcrowded.

The Great Movie Ride? Let's replace that with a ride that has a far lower capacity, instead of the logical thing of putting it in the Animation Courtyard...

Instead of replacing they should be adding rides.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

It's an incredibly sad thing to see.

Ride capacity is a massively problematic thing at Disney nowadays and it's the main reason the parks are incredibly overcrowded.

The Great Movie Ride? Let's replace that with a ride that has a far lower capacity, instead of the logical thing of putting it in the Animation Courtyard...

Instead of replacing they should be adding rides.
As someone who lives in Europe im happy I could visit the park before the destruction started. Still incredibly sad, because that should have never happened.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I went to HS last Friday and the park was beyond packed. I had to wait like an hour to get a legacy lightsaber, Smugglers Run was over 3 hour wait. It's bizarre how much RotR boosted traffic, I went in October and was able to walk on to Smugglers Run