• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
This is the newest, 2017-2018 numbers from the licensing letter.

SVu0buH.png

vtybgqH.png

cUZmzgA.png

2017 numbers for reference:

merchsales2017.png

super_hero_sales_2016_2017.jpg

retailsales2017_1.jpg

retailsales2017_2.jpg

retailsales2017_3.jpg

retailsales2017_4.jpg

Please stop using this outdated chart, unless you are using it for historical purposes.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Batman and Spiderman neck and neck pretty much

Surprised superman is high up on the list. Iconography can get them so far it looks like because his film and media presence isnt so big

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not sure Avengers counts as dethroning Spider-Man considering... it's also starring Spider-Man.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda surprised that Harry Potter is getting out-performed by Power Rangers. HP seems like it has pretty international and multi-generational appeal......whereas Power Rangers doesn't seem to connect with anyone other than nostalgic Millennials.

OP
OP
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure Avengers counts as dethroning Spider-Man considering... it's also starring Spider-Man.

SM is licensed separately from the Avengers and that predates the Disney buyout. It's a completely separate license.

So much for "Kids don't like Star Wars anymore, the merch sales are down".

They are down 20% YOY.

I'm guessing licensed merchandise is stuff like pencil cases & backpacks with the logo & not so much actual Pokémon games like the CCG.

I'm fairly certain games are not counted here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
when was the last time you were in a Walmart by any chance? Those Paw Patrol dogs adorn so many products in a Walmart, they are everywhere

I'm in Walmart all the time (in multiple countries, no less) and I do see a ton of Paw Patrol stuff so I shouldn't be THAT surprised, but I still didn't realize it would be in the Top 5.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
SM is licensed separately from the Avengers and that predates the Disney buyout. It's a completely separate license.

They are down 20% YOY.

I'm fairly certain games are not counted here.
I'm not saying Spider-Man shouldn't be listed separately, but I am saying Spider-Man media has been a part of the boost in Avengers media, and Avengers is a combination of characters currently including Spider-Man. So I'm not sure it's a very pure statement to make. It feels like saying "Justice League beats Superman!" if it were to occur on the heels of multiple successful Superman films and games. Like... Superman would be owed possible credit for the boost.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says -20% right there
And yet it's still #3 worldwide, above pretty much every other brand. Spider-Man and Frozen saw similar dropoffs and lower rankings, but nobody posits the idea that they've lost their cachet with kids. These things are inevitably kind of cyclical since they're based around film releases, and subject to the recently very topsy-turvy market for retail toys.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm guessing licensed merchandise is stuff like pencil cases & backpacks with the logo & not so much actual Pokémon games like the CCG.

Yeah that was my guess but after "the biggest entertainment brand" became such a meme here I was very curious. I imagine the TCG is pretty lucrative overall but a lot of that judgement was built off really inconsistent bookkeeping anyway

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda surprised that Harry Potter is getting out-performed by Power Rangers. HP seems like it has pretty international and multi-generational appeal......whereas Power Rangers doesn't seem to connect with anyone other than nostalgic Millennials.

Harry Potter is not toyetic. Power Rangers is literally meant to sell toys

(yes I know merch is more than toys)

Aine

May 27, 2019

Not much going on with HP outside of the Fantastic Beasts movies. Compare that with Power Rangers having a continued presence with television, toys, comics, etc.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
MLP still growing YoY.

Though im not sure if you look longer than 2017-18 if its as high as the MLP craze a few years ago.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Especially being over twice as large outside the US/Canada

Really surprising to me, Peanuts seems like classic Americana, never suspected it would be that large worldwide.
Yeah. Everything else on the list I expected, but I don't think my nieces or nephews have any Peanuts related merchandise nor have they really gotten into the old movies (Christmas and Halloween specials).

I assume it's gotta be Snoopy pulling the weight?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How is Mickey rated that high? WTF are people buying?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How is Mickey rated that high? WTF are people buying?

I think this probably lumps in anything involving Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, and possibly stuff even more generically "Disney" branded.

For "Peanuts," mostly read "Snoopy and friends," I'd be willing to bet. Not so much Charlie Brown, Lucy, et al.

True, Snoopy and Woodstock are on a lot of stuff. Especially his "Joe Cool" persona

1575-pks156_1.jpg

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
The lack of Dragon Ball or One Piece merchandise on any of these lists is the most surprising thing I'm reading from this.

Any theories as to why this could be the case?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The last place I lived in Taiwan had a Peanuts café within walking distance of my apartment. Also, when it was the Year of the Dog, Snoopy stuff was basically the country's mascot for the year. Peanuts is definitely not just a US thing.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Did anybody produce these in the Detective Pikachu thread where people were claiming "Biggest media IP in the world, $1b guaranteed?"

Would've laid that argument to rest fairly quickly, no?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Didn't know Winnie the Pooh was so popular overseas.

And Paw Patrol Out of no where .

What's the difference between the first chart and the second?

Same years but the numbers are way off

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
One of the weirdest things is that Looney Tunes (#23) ranks higher than Scooby Doo (#32) on the 2017 list. Looney Tunes is still in the top 30 on the 2018 list and Scooby doesn't even place.

Given how WB has pushed Scooby constantly and has completely neglected Looney Tunes, that's a little notable.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Pokémon ain't even cracking top 5. Further proof that Wikipedia article is worthless.