• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Sanrio (and Hello Kitty in particular) are massive all over the world, not just in Asia.

The one that really surprised me is Paw Patrol. I knew it was a popular kids show around the world, but I didn't realize it was that huge.
Not really surprised by Paw Patrol. My 4 year old nephew is bonkers for Spider-Man/Avengers but will still watch Paw Patrol over them every time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Could this include what's bought in the Disney parks?

It absolutely does. Disney moves a SHIT TON of licensed merch through those places.

157 million visitors to Disney parks in 2018.
13.1 million people a month.
430,000 people a day.

All buying mickey hats and similar bullshit.

Pokémon ain't even cracking top 5. Further proof that Wikipedia article is worthless.

i tried to tell y'all. Pokemon isn't anywhere close to the world's largest brand. The heavy hitters move crazy, crazy amounts of merchandise.

That being said- this list isn't complete. It ignores a lot of merchandise that isn't "licensed" per se. IIRC the last time we all looked into what The Licensing Letter tracked, it ignored all digital content (streaming revenues, blu-ray revenues) and Marvel's entire print arm (somewhere around $500-600M a year in revenue) was ignored.

Pokemon: GO for some reason absolutely was counted in the pokemon number though.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
So Superman is the 3rd highest individual superhero for merch.

How fucking stupid are the executives at Warner Bros. Sure sounds like a character that has trouble resonating with modern audiences.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty amazing that the Avengers have finally overtaken Spider-Man in merch sales after so many years.

Oct 27, 2017
But I thought SW toys weren't selling because the sequel characters suck?

Seriously though wow Micky Mouse being that popular seems bizarre to me.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Pretty amazing that the Avengers have finally overtaken Spider-Man in merch sales after so many years.

It would be more amazing if the Avengers didn't. The movies have been outgrossing the spider-films since Avengers 1 hit screens in 2011- and there's like a bazillion of them?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Note: i don't think the Licensing Letter numbers add up. They seem to be leaving a lot out. I referred back to the old "Pokemon is the biggest media franchise" thread and came across references there.

License Global tracked the top 150 worldwide licensors and their total retail sales. License Global notes that "This number is inclusive of licensed products and games across Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI), Studio Entertainment, ABC Television and ESPN. "

Disney as a whole came in at a whopping $53Billion in retail sales for FY 2017. Disney no longer reports individual sales for each of it's brands, but Marvel Entertainment USED to be a different division before it was rolled into Disney as a whole. The last time that was true (around 2010) Marvel's 2009 retail sales were 4.9 billion, 2010 retail sales were 5.6 Billion, and 2011 retail sales were about 6 Billion.

Note that Avengers 1 didn't hit theatres until 2012. The Marvel brand is WAY, WAY bigger than it was in 2009-2010.

Sanrio in its entirety comes in at #11 at 4.6B. Pokemon at #18 at 3.5B

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Is Batman including Harley? Because Harley seems like she's a big deal but here we are... Supes is still big and yet we ain't got no MOS2.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Is Batman including Harley? Because Harley seems like she's a big deal but here we are... Supes is still big and yet we ain't got no MOS2.

All of the batman, superman and other DC properties would fall under Warner Consumer Products- they were #7 at 7Billion in 2017- but remember this includes all of the Harry Potter merchandise as well as Looney Tunes, Hanna Barbera, and LEGO MOVIE merch.

They aren't anywhere in the same universe as the Marvel stuff right now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Star Wars down by 40% compared to two years ago (2016)...

I get the impression that TLL is only tracking very specific merchandise like movie tie in toys, and if so those sales would be highly cyclical depending on when movies released. If we look at Disney's retail numbers in aggregate using something like License Global's figures, they're way, way more stable.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-steve-buscemi.gif

let me tell you about Poke-Mon

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression that TLL is only tracking very specific merchandise like movie tie in toys, and if so those sales would be highly cyclical depending on when movies released. If we look at Disney's retail numbers in aggregate using something like License Global's figures, they're way, way more stable.
Good that is reassuring

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man is gonna be back at the top once Marvel land is open at California Adventure next year, right?I can't them not putting SM themed merch at the end of the ride

OP
OP
Oct 31, 2017
Wouldn't Avengers boost up Spider-Man even higher if that was the case that people viewed them as one in the same? SM was hardly even in Endgame.

The numbers in the OP are 2018 numbers, so they include merch from IW, but not Endgame. They also include two other movies where merch would be tied to the SM license, Venom and Spiderverse.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
If you went back in time and found 10 year old me and told me in 30 years The Avengers would be number one in superhero merchandise and JLA wouldn't even be on the list I'd have said you were nuts.

It's truly amazing how badly DC bungled the Justice League. Somebody should write a book.