Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is the challenge when a content producer tries to take on a huge technical challenge of managing the server load for a launch like this.

Companies like Netflix started as technology companies first (I mean when they entered streaming market, ignoring root of being a shipping/middle man company first) to evolve into content producers/media companies.
Disney didn't do this in-house, they bought a streaming company (BAMTech, previously majority owned by Major League Baseball) that used to handle a bunch of other streaming services like ESPN, NHL, WWE, PlayStation Vue, etc. Guess they weren't ready for the millions of new customers.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Bruh.... Disney has created fucking millennial crack. Fucking GARGOYLES! They need a random button on this fucker ASAP and then it's Saturday mornings all over again.

Fucking XMEN92

Last edited:

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
quick question: can i use iTunes gift card to pay for the subscription? I am in Canada...
I have no idea if Canada iTunes is different than the US, but in the US I can buy iTunes credit for 20 percent off, and then subscribe to a year or month of Disney+ using that credit, thus saving 20 percent off the subscription. The only reason I didn't do that is because Google Play also lets you do this and I've been accumulating free GP credit via the Google Opinion Rewards app for over a year and it paid for a year of D+.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know stuff is kind of busted atm but anyone used the Roku app yet and if so how is it? Roku is my go-to media device so I plan to use the app on there unless it's uniquely bad.

Tried the Android app and it's....okay, but seems to have some issues loading series pages. I'm guessing that's related to the general loading issues so I'll wait and see how it is once things smooth out.

I downloaded the app on my TV this morning before work. It seemed to navigate fine. Just a little slower than I would like, but like you said everything is busted right now. I liked the layout and design.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm kinda glad the compression and bitrate is still Netflix range so I still have a reason to pick up UHD BRs if I care about picture quality. This service seems awesome but I worry so much about losing the ability to buy those too.
TBH, if you care about audio quality at all you'll still want to always get discs, as no streaming provider has anything other than lossy audio.
It's the encode not the bitrate that matters.
Both matter. Granted, a high bitrate on a shit encode is still shit, but a shit bitrate on a great encode has its own set of issues.
Unless they're using some magical never-before-seen encode, which I really doubt, then no, bitrate is what matters.
They both matter.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
People watching the HDR content, what device are you using? I can't get 4K HDR10 working on my Nvidia Shield 2017 edition. Don't want to watch Mandalorian until I get HDR10 working. My TV doesn't do Dolby Vision, is that the issue?

Link25ca

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if you can subscribe using itunes gift cards in the app store and then still log in using the different apps like PS4, Amazon Fire TV or will you be stuck using only Apple devices?

I know people that used to do this with Netflix and were grandfathered in after Netflix stopped using that option.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, as encoding God David Mackenzie proves time, and time again it's the bits in the right places.
And apple's stuff looks like crap due to this.
Apple's stuff looks like crap? Come on now. Now you're just sounding silly. Apple's stuff is widely considered to be the service to beat in 4k streaming.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Full Seasons of the Simpsons are missing. Old Ducktales is missing episodes. New Ducktales is missing episodes. Talespin is missing episodes.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Quality seems pretty mediocre on everything I've tried (Moana, Force Awakens, Mandalorian, Captain Marvel). No stats at all as to what resolution or bitrate is active.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Sorry if this is a silly question, but does anyone know if you can subscribe using itunes gift cards in the app store and then still log in using the different apps like PS4, Amazon Fire TV or will you be stuck using only Apple devices?

I know people that used to do this with Netflix and were grandfathered in after Netflix stopped using that option.
Yes. Just create your account in the app on an Apple device and choose to pay with your apple credit. Then you use that username and password on all your other devices. You can then manage your subscription via Apple.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So, I can log in just fine on my Roku Ultra, but when I try to on my PC, it says I have the wrong password. I am 100% sure it's correct. Anyone else have this issue?

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Quality seems pretty mediocre on everything I've tried (Moana, Force Awakens, Mandalorian, Captain Marvel). No stats at all as to what resolution or bitrate is active.
What device are you watching on? I'm watching with the Samsung TV app and the content is only HD, no HDR or 4K. If I'm watching on the ps4 it's 4k HDR depending on the content...

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
No, as encoding God David Mackenzie proves time, and time again it's the bits in the right places.
And apple's stuff looks like crap due to this.
Nothing about Apple's streaming quality so far has been crap. It's been far and away the best anyone has offered yet and it rivals blu-rays.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Looking to see what else is missing from The Simpsons and I don't see New Kids on the Blecch(season 12, episode 14). Can I get someone else to verify that it's not just me?
I see it here in Canada but if I check on my phone there are entire seasons missing. Seasons 2, 4, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 19, 28. lol

Last edited:

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People watching the HDR content, what device are you using? I can't get 4K HDR10 working on my Nvidia Shield 2017 edition. Don't want to watch Mandalorian until I get HDR10 working. My TV doesn't do Dolby Vision, is that the issue?

I'm watching in 4K HDR10 through my Xbox One X on my Vizio TV. Audio output is in Dolby Atmos as well

Looks great

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Must be an issue with servers affecting your end. Quality is fantastic on what I've watched, especially Mandalorian.

Edit: oh, you're watching on a browser lol

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is broke as all hell on roku.
  • Click any of the banners for marvel, star wars, etc itll play a splash video and go black never showing that section. Like a resolution error occurs after the vid because I can hear it surfing left and right when I hit buttons lol
  • Go to series, animation, well over half the animated series arent there like xmen. Have to go to all series a to z to find content as its sorting is shit
  • Go to originals...nothing there. Go to home. Big ol scroll list of originals
  • None of the marvel movies or starwars stuff are listed in order. Dont know the order of star wars films once they stopped numbering? Too bad.
  • Not all the seasons are up for shows. Wanna watch the new ducktales, big hero 6 or whatever shows? Better off with Disney now as they did not put all the seasons or episodes up.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know stuff is kind of busted atm but anyone used the Roku app yet and if so how is it? Roku is my go-to media device so I plan to use the app on there unless it's uniquely bad.

Tried the Android app and it's....okay, but seems to have some issues loading series pages. I'm guessing that's related to the general loading issues so I'll wait and see how it is once things smooth out.

It looked good last night/early morning.

Link25ca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Just create your account in the app on an Apple device and choose to pay with your apple credit. Then you use that username and password on all your other devices. You can then manage your subscription via Apple.

Perfect, Thank you. Now to decide what services I still want to keep subscribing to.

Status
Not open for further replies.