Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, they talk about number of Movies in the top ten. I thought the article would be about box office gross. They also include Spider-Man as Disney movie. 7 out of 10 is still not a great outlook.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
A. The merger didn't happen yet on an operational level, that starts from next year. B. It is up to the government to ensure monopolies don't happen by blocking Disney from taking over FOX. it doesn't have to stop Murdoch from selling FOX.

I'm not denying those facts, I just feel that the Fox merger had minimal to non-noticeable effects on Disney's success in terms of box office success so having OP talk about that with this doesn't seem relevant (I'd personally wager that Fox was a theatrical stain for them this year with Dark Phoenix and Stuber).

When you get high on the fumes of capitalism

What does capitalism have to do with quality?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
A movie studio making the majority of box office hits for the year which audiences want to see is NOT a monopoly.

A movie studio which also controls the means of distributing content through their internet telecommunications companies (AT&T/Warners or Comcast/Universal) is a monopoly.

And don't forget that Comcast wanted to buy Fox which would have been a much worse result, and people were rooting for this due to their hatred of Disney.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not denying those facts, I just feel that the Fox merger had minimal to non-noticeable effects on Disney's success in terms of box office success so having OP talk about that with this doesn't seem relevant (I'd personally wager that Fox was a theatrical stain for them this year with Dark Phoenix and Stuber).
They fired the Dark Phoenix marketing team, that movie was burried.

A movie studio making the majority of box office hits for the year which audiences want to see is NOT a monopoly.

A movie studio which also controls the means of distributing content through their internet telecommunications companies (AT&T/Warners or Comcast) is a monopoly.
No, you are wrong on this. I have neither AT&T or Comcast, yet I'm able to see their content really really easily and legally. Even if it was the case, neither AT&T or Comcast has significant control over the general movie business. Unlike Disney which by now completely dominates all their competitors. You are almost saying Bing is a monopoly because it is owned by Microsoft which also does the OS for PC, while Google doesn't so it isn't one.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many of Disney's hit movies this year were even former Fox movies? The only Fox "Blockbuster" I can think of this year was Dark Phoenix, and that movie bombed. I'm probably forgetting some movies. But from my recollection it just seems that this year for Disney would've been nearly the same even without buying Fox.

Ford vs. Ferrari and Spies in Disguise

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it bad to produce content people actually want to see?
Nothing, I would say if only one studio producing them can be bad.

How many of Disney's hit movies this year were even former Fox movies? The only Fox "Blockbuster" I can think of this year was Dark Phoenix, and that movie bombed. I'm probably forgetting some movies. But from my recollection it just seems that this year for Disney would've been nearly the same even without buying Fox.
None, the most successful Fox movie is at number 27

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Think the unfortunate reality of this is that they now have a leg up to control the market place. It's not enough just to make an amazing film, people have to see it too.
And when Disney has enough financial support to dominate the market place by making their films more prominently displayed at theaters, ie encouraging longer runs for their films at the box office, having their own streaming service, as well as featuring their titles on multiple storefront due to their bottomless well (comparatively) of money they can dump into the marketing department, they force people to have to search for other titles. People tend to not want to search through numerous films when on the front page is a Disney movie that everyone is talking about.

It's not about quality, it's about the ability to stand so far above the competition that they control the market.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly - I don't really care if Disney owns all the blockbusters as long as they do a good job with them. They had a few stumbles like TRoS but overall the quality has been fine.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Alright then. Let's split it into four or five companies.

One New Solo Marvel Company, One New Lucasfilm Comapany (maybe with the 20th Cent Fox), One New Disney Animation, One New Pixar (Unless we're ok with doing a Disney + Pixar company), and one new live action company (alternate 20th Cent Fox section).

Done, that should solve this.

If anyone says split the Marvel IPs into two or more companies, I want those people to agree DC needs to be split up. I'm not saying this because I don't want the Marvel IPs split up, but I don't want to hear "split Marvel" without anything being said about DC.

I don't know whether you remember, but pre-Disney acquisition, Marvel had to rely on licensing and third party movie and television distribution because they were a comics company with no internal media distribution assets. Marvel Studios initial deal with Paramount was from Iron Man to Avengers. Viacom/Paramount had the opportunity to outright buy Marvel but didn't even bother.

And Disney Animation returned to quality because the heads of Pixar restructured the company's management, release slate and changed the corporate culture of Disney's flagship animation studio to be more like Pixar's.

Even ignoring those major facts, Warner Bros and Universal release more movies than Disney does anyway.

They fired the Dark Phoenix marketing team, that movie was burried.

Dark Phoenix was dead on arrival from the moment the movie was greenit to production.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lu4mTYD.jpg

😂

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Other studios need to start making better movies":
  • The Lion King: 53%
  • Aladin: 57%
  • The Rise of Skywalker: 55%
Man, Disney is clearly outputting quality, that's the reason they're on top.
It's insane how Disney actually made their fanboys believe that they consistently release good movies. No wonder auger is so concerned about Scorsese's comments.

People go to the cinema to watch brands now, and there's barely any brand stronger than what Disney owns.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People are so deep in free market capitalism that they are saying 'at least it ain't comcast' as if the only way to live is under a feudal corporate system or 'well, it must be because of the quality!' even though all their movies are now lowest common denominator fan service and nostalgia. Remakes and reinterpretations.

We dont have to live like this.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
This makes me think about the Tarantino interview where he talked about how Disney practically forced a cinema to show Star Wars on Hateful Eights timespot. If they didnt show it at that time and date they wouldnt be allowed to show the Star Wars movie at all.

So yeah its technically not a monopoly, but if Disney can basically control the cinemas then theres a big problem.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Disney released 13 movies this year. Then you have studios like Sony that released 22 films and WB which released 28. Don't really understand what's going on with other studios when they have IP just as valuable as the ones Disney has.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
This makes me think about the Tarantino interview where he talked about how Disney practically forced a cinema to show Star Wars on Hateful Eights timespot. If they didnt show it at that time and date they wouldnt be allowed to show the Star Wars movie at all.

So yeah its technically not a monopoly, but if Disney can basically control the cinemas then theres a big problem.
Story is wrong and has been disproven multiple times. Disney made a deal with the theatre months in advance. Tarantino didn't know about it and went on a rant without knowing the details.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Tends to happen when you make movies people want to see, and understand your market.

For all those talking about them buying their way in, lets take a look at when Disney bought Marvel. The end of 2009. What Marvel films were out at that time? Just Iron Man and Incredible Hulk. Iron Man was a huge success of course, but Hulk was a disappointment, only making its money back with video. If Disney hadn't bought Marvel, it's unlikely we'd be anywhere near where they are today.

How about when Disney bought Star Wars? The sequel trilogy was just an idea in Lucas's head, the Extended Universe was in a horrendous spot with the New Jedi Order, and the only media was Clone Wars. I know the Episode IX hate is approaching TLJ levels, but the chances of Lucas's sequel trilogy doing anything close to what Disney did is laughable considering Lucas's writing/directing.

Fox's contribution to the bottom line this year? Little to nothing.

Disney having bought IP doesn't mean they bought their way to the top. They still built the universes, developed the films, and spent the money. The question we should be asking is why every other studio's offering, with a few exceptions, failed to attract audiences.

There were hundreds of movies released in 2019. Disney released... Eleven. Less than one a month. Such a monopoly.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether you remember, but pre-Disney acquisition, Marvel had to rely on licensing and third party movie and television distribution because they were a comics company with no internal media distribution assets. Marvel Studios initial deal with Paramount was from Iron Man to Avengers. Viacom/Paramount had the opportunity to outright buy Marvel but didn't even bother.

And Disney Animation returned to quality because the heads of Pixar restructured the company's management, release slate and changed the corporate culture of Disney's flagship animation studio to be more like Pixar's.

Even ignoring those major facts, Warner Bros and Universal release more movies than Disney does anyway.

I do remember. My suggestion to this issue is when the split happens is to make one of the companies Marvel Media, which would have said assets. Would that not solve the issue if there were a split?

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney released 13 movies this year. Then you have studios like Sony that released 22 films and WB which released 28. Don't really understand what's going on with other studios when they have IP just as valuable as the ones Disney has.

Shhh we'really not allowed to talk about how other studios are to blame for making movies nobody want to watch.

Let's also not mention how WB is owned by Time Warner which is even more powerful than Disney. That doesn't fit the Disney is a monopoly narrative thought so it goes unsaid.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah...that sounds about right. A lot of their movies weren't great either. That being said, what's preventing other studios from making stuff people want to go see? Ultimately movies aren't a necessity so it's not really comparable to say a telecommunications owning all of the phone towers or internet infrastructure.
There becomes a point where you can own so much IP/studios that it almost becomes irrelevant what the competition does, they simply won't be able to compete.

Oct 27, 2017
There becomes a point where you can own so much IP/studios that it almost becomes irrelevant what the competition does, they simply won't be able to compete.

I don't really feel like Disney is at that point. They don't own Pokemon, DC, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Hello Kitty, etc. And this year they've put out fewer films than their competition have, it's just that the ones they did put out were the ones people wanted to see (irregardless of quality, which isn't really relevant).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Shhh we'really not allowed to talk about how other studios are to blame for making movies nobody want to watch.

Let's also not mention how WB is owned by Time Warner which is even more powerful than Disney. That doesn't fit the Disney is a monopoly narrative thought so it goes unsaid.

Technically, Warner Bros is now owned by WarnerMedia which is an AT&T division. But the primary point you make is still correct, WarnerMedia owns so many television brands but nobody questions WarnerMedia because it doesn't have the theatrical popularity that Disney does.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Warner Bros Studios:

Warner Bros Pictures
New Line Cinema
DC Films
Warner Bros Animation

Also own DC Comics, Warner Bros Interactive Entertaiment (which own a number of video game studios as well), TV channels, and theme parks! And this is without mentioning the other stuff TimeWarner owns like sports channels.

Hmm look at all that junk they have. Some would say they might be even bigger than Disney!

I think it's obvious Disney is not stopping them from having the same type of success. Maybe if they made better movies they would have more success at the box office. But that Disney monopoly tho!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No wonder it was such an uninspired year for film.
Crazy to me people say this. I feel like whenever someone has this opinion theyre only speaking about the big blockbusters and ignoring the fact that every we get insanely good movies by talented filmmakers, but because theyre not blockbusters they get ignored.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The other studios need to step up and make decent movies people actually want to watch.

This is how I feel. Disney have made acquisitions that have paid off for now, but the other studios are just making bad decisions. No one is stopping them from making good movies or putting the effort in to try and set up better franchises.

Jul 4, 2018
Don't get me wrong, I agree Comcast is worse than Disney; I just think Comcast owning some key IP is better than Disney owning all key IP.
Disney just knows how to use their IP in that article you quoted they even explains this "Contrary to popular belief, Disney doesn't own all the important IP. Warner Bros. has Harry Potter, DC Comics, and Game of Thrones. Sony has Spider-Man. Universal has the Fast and Furious and Despicable Me franchises. The biggest difference is Sony and Warner Bros. have suffered a series of critical failures whereas Disney's films (especially Marvel titles) have largely done well enough. If the quality of Disney movies starts to slide, so will box office tickets."