Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I know right? Disney offered a shitty deal and Sony left. Too bad. But it makes sense.

Yea I need to see more details but people are fooling themselves if they're thinking Disney didn't ask for too much in some way which caused Sony to say no dice. There are Disney shills all over Era though so no surprise.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Maaaaaan, Disney really fucked up.
I still hope this is all PR posturing andd we will get a new deal somewhere down the line.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
There's no way they keep Spidey out of the MCU.

It's too big of an IP for Disney to lose; they will either re-negotiate or accept the same deal as before.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe. But it's the wrong play for fans and consumers. Back to shit tastic Spiderman so they can add him to the horrible Venomverse.

I'm selling my PS4

So sony should swallow hundreds of millions because it's the wrong play? That' not how business works, it's not a charity.

Also I'm sorry but LOL at selling your ps4 because disney tried to screw over sony.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Now watch as the Spider-Man movies become great again but reviewed lower than previous 2 movies because they are not marvel

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen Far From Home yet but I enjoyed Venom way more than Homecoming. I'm all for Holland vs Hardy.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn...this is rough news all around. But I say Disney folds. Sony has all the leverage. Feige went and made Spider-Man a super integral part of the MCU going forward. I don't see what's in it for Sony to give on their end of the deal.

I'm surprised Disney doesn't just try to freaking buy the movie rights for Spider-Man back from Sony outright at this point. It would cost an absurd, ridiculous amount, but Disney could do it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hope people realize that this was NOT Sony's fault.

From reading the article they were content on keeping the deal like it has been for the past few years, which saw success for both studios in regards to this property.

Since Marvel also has the rights to the merchandise (Sony sold them the rights back in like 2011 or 12 I believe) this was a windfall for both studios regardless of who got what (merchandise makes FAR more moeny then any of the movies).

However Feige/Disney wanted more, 50% of each movie (in the current deal Sony gets all money for the stand alone spidey, and marvel gets all for the MCU w/spidey in them IIRC) and it seemed like they wanted 50% of all Spidey properties (so Venom, etc not just the spider-man movies).

Seems like a case of Disney wanting to be super greedy (who would have thunk it?) and Sony just saying "Nope, we can do it ourselves again."

A Shame too, because like before Marvel/Disney LOVES to stop making shit for a property they don't own the movie rights to, so the chances of us seeing another Spidey game? I'd wager next to null, just like they did with the X-Men when Fox had the rights, they don't want to create things that made help boost another studios movie/property.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
This would have had Disney putting up more money for more involvement in Spider-Man as a whole; in a sense, they'd be helping with Venom and stuff like it, as well as benefitting from the other effects of co-financing that I have talked about in the rest of the thread.

In other words, Sony killed this because they don't want their deal with Disney extending past the core Spider-Man movies or for them to get anything out of the stuff like Venom or Spider-verse beyond the merchandising they already get. Disney wanted to invest more in the character and the franchise, and yes, this would have come with more of a financial gain for them... but in a way that is still balanced HEAVILY in Sony's favor.

Sony wants all of the money instead of most of it, and to hold onto as much creative control as they can. Creative control that they've shown they're more likely to squander in spite of the talent attached to it. They're cutting off their nose to spite their face - especially considering that the 50 percent "opening swing" was something EVERY company does at the start of negotiations and usually get talked down from.

I don't see how that kills their current deal, if Sony is telling Disney that they would rather still be on the hook 100% cost wise, and keep the current deal in place. So this whole thing fell apart because neither side could agree on whether Sony should allow Disney to help financing the films in exchange for more control?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Far From Home illusion scene of Mysterio was the best ten minutes of a Spiderman movie ever made

I wanna stay hopeful but we all know Sony will never do something a tenth as good as this

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect this is just a form of aggressive negotiation, Sony is just posturing to get a better deal I would think, since a third MCU Spidey might be a ways off, they have a little bit of time to reneg their deal, albeit in public, I can't imagine it's going to be worst case scenario here, Sony's just using its newly gained truckloads of money to squeeze Marvel a bit, hopefully there's a compromise.

Lemonz

Oct 27, 2017
Compton
Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don't believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn't want to share its biggest franchise.

First person I've thought of after hearing about the break-up.

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
Yea I need to see more details but people are fooling themselves if they're thinking Disney didn't ask for too much in some way which caused Sony to say no dice. There are Disney shills all over Era though so no surprise.
I don' think Disney shills exist in the traditional sense. Reality itself is a MCU shill at this point.

DIsney knows it too. They have allllllll the goodwill from public, hell. This news becoming public kills a lot of Sony's negotiation power.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Truly, integrating him so hard into the MCU was a bad bad move.

At the same time, Sony is making an even worse move here. They're way underestimating how important those sequels being MCU are. I wonder if Tom Holland and the director are going to try to figure out how to drop out of the movies now, it's pretty fucking shitty for them too.
isnt holland going to be nate drake in those uncharted movies? cant imagine he'll make sony upset

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious watching all the marvel fanboys blame sony here when disney wanted 50%. That is hilariously insane.

You don't make a lowball offer on your first try

So many Disney stans in this thread. How could you possibly blame Sony for not bending over backwards for Disney? It doesn't make any sense to split the profits when your the one footing the bill for the whole project.

And Marvel pulls Feige's time (maybe others) when they could be planning the next FF4, X-Men films.

MCU is what pulled Spidey out of the garbage after ASM2

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
In what world do you think the current MCU doesn't need Spidey????!

the current mcu released a movie last year starring a hero that made more money than any spider-man film on his first try

the current mcu released a movie this year starring a hero that made more money than any spider-man film on her first try

i think they'll be ok

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
BUBUBU ARROGANT SONY

The Disney shilling in Era has never been more evident than in this thread.

and Sony fans be like

source.gif

Well Bye. time to elevate and get other heroes more screentime. We got The X-Men!

Yeah, if this means we get a fast tracked Miss Marvel movie I am happy.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man in the MCU felt like a magical thing that coalesced against all odds at just the right moment, so I don't really mind this news much at all.

If a new arrangement isn't reached it will be interesting to see how it pans out in any case.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
You know Disney/Marvel is sitting there thinking that they were able to make GotG and other B tier Marvel properties into a huge success without paying anyone else.

They already have too many characters and not enough movies planned. I'm sure they figured out that they don't really need Spiderman.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I guess this means all those characters who Marvel created for the MCU can't be used anymore.

(From what I heard, they are now "frozen" unable to be used by either Marvel or Sony)

Status
Not open for further replies.