• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Most fun/cheesy builds?

Also, should I keep Lohse an enchanter?

Death Knight is very good: https://fextralife.com/divinity-2-builds-death-knight/
Also Summoner builds: https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-builds-summoner-of-sparks/

In terms of classes and characters it doesn't really matter what you choose. The important thing is to have a team with good synergy. Everyone should specialize in their own stuff with focus on spells/skills that go well with others. You should also pay attention to what kind of damage they do, as enemies either have a lot of physical or magical armor. There are casters in the game that do physical damage, such as Necromancer, so depending on what kind of damage you want to go with it's important to pay some attention to. I think most people make a 50/50 party but there are setups with 100% physical or magical as well. Those builds can be a bit harder though as you need a bit more knowledge of the game to cover for your chosen weakness.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Death Knight is very good: https://fextralife.com/divinity-2-builds-death-knight/
Also Summoner builds: https://fextralife.com/divinity-original-sin-2-builds-summoner-of-sparks/

In terms of classes and characters it doesn't really matter what you choose. The important thing is to have a team with good synergy. Everyone should specialize in their own stuff with focus on spells/skills that go well with others. You should also pay attention to what kind of damage they do, as enemies either have a lot of physical or magical armor. There are casters in the game that do physical damage, such as Necromancer, so depending on what kind of damage you want to go with it's important to pay some attention to. I think most people make a 50/50 party but there are setups with 100% physical or magical as well. Those builds can be a bit harder though as you need a bit more knowledge of the game to cover for your chosen weakness.
Much appreciated, think I'll go with a summoner

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
I am stucked and really got bored of combat in this game.

Still at first island and been killed by the witch in the cave and those skeleton guys with big monster on forest.
It is really annoying that every battle starts with enemy having advantage on the environment, they usually start at higher ground and you have to waste turns to teleport your characters to higher ground etc. And since there is not speed up function (at least on Switch) battles drag too long sometimes. When people said you can do pretty much whatever you want I thought there would be more times where I can avoid combat haha.

Jan 10, 2018
A warning to all new players who are doing their first run: Do NOT proceed to Act 4 if you're not at least level 18 and have good gear (on Classic or higher). The game introduces a massive difficulty spike and you have no way of getting around the hard fights at the beginning. I was forced to lower my difficulty just because of this and I really wish the game had given me a warning. It seems like you really have to do most of the side quests in the game to gain XP which is a pity because sometimes you want to avoid them for roleplaying/story reasons. I didn't want to help any Magisters in Act 2 because I thought they were all assholes but looking back on it now I missed out on tons of helpful XP and items.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I am stucked and really got bored of combat in this game.

Still at first island and been killed by the witch in the cave and those skeleton guys with big monster on forest.
It is really annoying that every battle starts with enemy having advantage on the environment, they usually start at higher ground and you have to waste turns to teleport your characters to higher ground etc. And since there is not speed up function (at least on Switch) battles drag too long sometimes. When people said you can do pretty much whatever you want I thought there would be more times where I can avoid combat haha.
Yeah, enemies having the advantage by default can get annoying. But remember that there are tricks to get around that.

In that battle with the witch for example, your lead character has a lengthy conversation with her. While she is locked into dialogue, you can freely move the remaining three party members around. I usually put my ranger on the highest cliff on the (I think?) eastern side of the room, the one adjecent to where the witch teleports once combat starts. I put a rogue on the cliff where the witch teleports so they can backstab and crowd control her as soon as possible, and my third character stays at my lead character's side so they can distract the enemies spawning in the middle and some of those beetles (I think they were beetles) spawning at the edges of the area.

Of course you don't know all of this when you attempt that battle for the first time. Luckily the game tends to autosave before each battle. Unlike other games, where it might be considered 'cheating', I feel Divinity OS2 actually encourages you to use your first attempt to scout the battle environment and then use subsequent attempts to rig the fight in your own favor.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I took a hiatus and Im so confused with the story. Its frustrating that the quest logs feel like a mess to navigate and theres no way to keep tabs or have a character index

i looked up walkthroughs and stupidly looked at spoilers by accident trying to figure out who the hell dallis is. Guess i just dont care anymore but can someone plz summarize the first bits of the game? i just got to the blackpit

I generally understand
I am godwoken so im like extra special, but theres some shady stuff going on with the gods, and who is Lucian again? and death fog was use to kill elves, but Justinia is using it? Im so confused

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Fort Joy. Recruited 3 people so I have 4 so far. I talk w/ Ifan and he says I'm full. Does this mean he's just out of my game for the remainder of the game?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've just replayed Fort Joy a couple of times to get a feel for companions and classes, and I've settled on a group.

This game feels so charming. I love the narration, it really brings the interactions to life. The VA and writing so far is much better than the original game, too, and I feel a lot more immersed in the world already than I did through the entirity of OS1.

Going with Ifan for my MC, Red Prince as a Fighter, Sebile as Rogie, and Lohse I'll make into some kind of healer/support.

A couple of questions as I can't remember the details from the original..

1. Can I make my Fighter into some kind of classic Tank to draw aggro?

2. Can I make my enchanter into a Healer? I think I need Hydro spells for healing and Geo for armour, right?

What. Loading is instant for me. Running on NVME SSD.

Any early guide for fort joy. This is sort of my first CRPG and I just feel SO Lost in that there's a million things going on.
I would honestly play this game like your own adventure and try to avoid guides unless you're stuck. The beauty of game slike this is forging your own path and discovering things organically, and making difficult choices and living with the impact of the consequences, etc...

If I focus too much on worrying about missing things, or which options are the "best", and so on, I find I often get choice paralysis and end up googling instead of playing.

So I try to force myself to just stay in game and play, and when I do this I find myself far more immersed.

Of course, there's nothing with looking up a guide!

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Diving back into this again and finally beat the fight against white magister Jonathan.

I've just replayed Fort Joy a couple of times to get a feel for companions and classes, and I've settled on a group.

This game feels so charming. I love the narration, it really brings the interactions to life. The VA and writing so far is much better than the original game, too, and I feel a lot more immersed in the world already than I did through the entirity of OS1.

Going with Ifan for my MC, Red Prince as a Fighter, Sebile as Rogie, and Lohse I'll make into some kind of healer/support.

A couple of questions as I can't remember the details from the original..

1. Can I make my Fighter into some kind of classic Tank to draw aggro?

2. Can I make my enchanter into a Healer? I think I need Hydro spells for healing and Geo for armour, right?

You probably have these answer by now but: yes, there is a taunt skill and you can make the fighter tanky. Yeah hydo for healing and geo for physical armour restoration skills.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's new content but unfortunately it seems you have to start a new game to access it which is weird and annoying. Killed my buzz for it pretty quickly.

Qotop

Nov 4, 2017
I've wanted to try a crpg for a while now and this one gets praised alot. I tried the first one but could not get into it. And I felt it was too hard.
But I might give this a go in the future. Does it take something like 100 hours to complete?

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I've wanted to try a crpg for a while now and this one gets praised alot. I tried the first one but could not get into it. And I felt it was too hard.
But I might give this a go in the future. Does it take something like 100 hours to complete?

If you're at all someone who really likes to explore everything, search for secret ways to complete quests etc. then yeah it could run over 100. I play these games pretty slowly and I was in the low 90s I think.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I really, really, really wish Larian would introduce some kind of AI scripting to put in place, at least for your companions. I love this game and want to explore and experience the world, but man...sometimes these fights are a REAL slog to get through.

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
50 hours in and I have barely done anything in Driftwood. Game is overwhelming (in a good way) but I plan to take my time. I play 2-3 hours a day so I might not be done with this for a few months.

Mainly playing on Switch but when I occasionally turn it on my pc it's scary how much better it looks 4k @144hz lol. Love the steam sync feature.

But yeah... this game is something else. I'm savoring it.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's unbelievably long. I've just got to Arx and it's been a really long road to get there. Can't say I'm complaining though and it's to be expected for this type of game. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

I really, really, really wish Larian would introduce some kind of AI scripting to put in place, at least for your companions. I love this game and want to explore and experience the world, but man...sometimes these fights are a REAL slog to get through.

AI scripting in a turn-based game? Personally I love the combat and I wish I could just do a massive dungeon crawl in the game with nothing but combat.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Yeah it's unbelievably long. I've just got to Arx and it's been a really long road to get there. Can't say I'm complaining though and it's to be expected for this type of game. This is shaping up to be one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

AI scripting in a turn-based game? Personally I love the combat and I wish I could just do a massive dungeon crawl in the game with nothing but combat.

It's been done before. The Pillars of Eternity games, the Baldur's Gate EE's, hell, even the battle belowdecks on the ship in Divinity 2 (if you go back for survivors) has AI scripting.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
50 hours in and I have barely done anything in Driftwood. Game is overwhelming (in a good way) but I plan to take my time. I play 2-3 hours a day so I might not be done with this for a few months.

Mainly playing on Switch but when I occasionally turn it on my pc it's scary how much better it looks 4k @144hz lol. Love the steam sync feature.

But yeah... this game is something else. I'm savoring it.

I need to check my playtime soon. I'm about to leave Driftwood but I feel like I've been here forever. I've loved it. I was running around, checking my journal to make sure I wasn't leaving anything not finished. The game explicitly warns you about this [leaving and not coming back] so don't worry.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if AI would work in a game like this, but the combat QOL and game speed is really, really bad and are far more jarring. There need to be faster animations, animations that overlap, cut-in transitions, or being able to skip animations with a button press like a huge number of JRPGs do. The "Turns per minute" of this game is just shockingly low compared to other modern RPGs.

Agi

Jun 26, 2020
The game explicitly warns you about this [leaving and not coming back] so don't worry.
Yeah the game did that in Fort Joy, good to know it continues to do so throughout!

I want to do as much content as possible as I don't have the time to do multiple play throughs, my map is full of those custom blue flags marking areas I want to come back to for various reasons.
I don't know if AI would work in a game like this, but the combat QOL and game speed is really, really bad and are far more jarring. There need to be faster animations, animations that overlap, cut-in transitions, or being able to skip animations with a button press like a huge number of JRPGs do. The "Turns per minute" of this game is just shockingly low compared to other modern RPGs.
I agree with both sentiments; having Al options and battle speed settings for would've been nice. They have already provided x3 for general map movement as an in-game mod in the gift bag, I don't use it though.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the game did that in Fort Joy, good to know it continues to do so throughout!

Yes, the game warns you about this until it doesn't. Just a heads up there will come a time when it will give no warning. I got caught out by it and had to go to an earlier save to wrap up and had to redo some battles.

It's been done before. The Pillars of Eternity games, the Baldur's Gate EE's, hell, even the battle belowdecks on the ship in Divinity 2 (if you go back for survivors) has AI scripting.

Those games are realtime with pause aren't they?

There is AI in the game for sure but I just don't know what you would be doing as a player if your squad is controlled by AI. You would be getting your main character turn and then just watching AI fighting. Sound pretty boring not to mention at higher difficulties it would be a recipe for disaster.

In realtime with pause AI routines make sense because characters are constantly taking action and it's difficult to give everyone commands at the same time. In turn-based that is not the case.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I need some help. I'm on the last fight. I'm 160 hours in and it is KICKING my ass. I can get to part 2 with like 1 character left alive if I'm lucky.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Should I bother trying OS2 if I thought that OS1 was too slow? Mainly speaking about the combat, but also walking around felt slow to me (I know they're amazing games though).

Slow combat and walking plus traps everywhere kinda killed the pacing for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I need some help. I'm on the last fight. I'm 160 hours in and it is KICKING my ass. I can get to part 2 with like 1 character left alive if I'm lucky.
The last last fight?
What's your setup and who are you fighting?

Should I bother trying OS2 if I thought that OS1 was too slow? Mainly speaking about the combat, but also walking around felt slow to me (I know they're amazing games though).

Slow combat and walking plus traps everywhere kinda killed the pacing for me.
It's not really faster paced no.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
The last last fight?
What's your setup and who are you fighting?

It's not really faster paced no.

Um, the last
It starts against Lucian and co and then shifts to Braccus Rex + Kraken and everyone else
(I assume this is the last fight?)

Level 20. I think it's impossible for me to get to level 21. I'm 2 million exp from level 21 and I've done all the quests in Arx i believe.
Red Prince - tank.
Lohse - physical dd with two handed weapon.
Sebille - mage.
Fane - physical archer.

Fight typically starts with Sebille getting knocked down unless I use a fortify scroll before the fight. Fane gets to go after Lucian. Then Daillas goes. And I can't recall the order after that but I'm mostly at half health by then.

I've managed to get to the 2nd part of the fight a few times but it's just Red Prince left alive and sometimes Fane and Lohse.

I was thinking of respeccing everyone to have 5 star diner and getting some resist all potions as I've read that can help a little bit. It's just everyone hits so god damn hard. And they make you all stand in a circle at the start of the fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Um, the last
It starts against Lucian and co and then shifts to Braccus Rex + Kraken and everyone else
(I assume this is the last fight?)

Level 20. I think it's impossible for me to get to level 21. I'm 2 million exp from level 21 and I've done all the quests in Arx i believe.
Red Prince - tank.
Lohse - physical dd with two handed weapon.
Sebille - mage.
Fane - physical archer.

Fight typically starts with Sebille getting knocked down unless I use a fortify scroll before the fight. Fane gets to go after Lucian. Then Daillas goes. And I can't recall the order after that but I'm mostly at half health by then.

I've managed to get to the 2nd part of the fight a few times but it's just Red Prince left alive and sometimes Fane and Lohse.

I was thinking of respeccing everyone to have 5 star diner and getting some resist all potions as I've read that can help a little bit. It's just everyone hits so god damn hard. And they make you all stand in a circle at the start of the fight.
Are you fighting with or against Lucian?
In any way, if possible let them fight it out. Focus on getting Braccus down first cause killing him kills the Kraken and it's summons. You also don't need to kill everybody on the battlefield.
There are some ways to make the fight easier but it makes it almost too easy, that's up to you.

There's a spell called "Charme Voidvoken". There is a pretty big Voidvoken in that last battle who makes a good ally ;)

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you had to get that from wendigo?
So you didn't get it right? Don't worry, it makes the last fight pretty boring tbh.
Try to let them duke it out first, and worry more about getting your characters in a good position. And then focus everything on Braccus.

Technically it's also possible to skip the entire last part of the fight tho I don't think that's possible unless you play as a Lone Wolf team (tho it IS really satisfying when you do it, let me tell you)

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So you didn't get it right? Don't worry, it makes the last fight pretty boring tbh.
Try to let them duke it out first, and worry more about getting your characters in a good position. And then focus everything on <omitted>

Technically it's also possible to skip the entire last part of the fight tho I don't think that's possible unless you play as a Lone Wolf team (tho it IS really satisfying when you do it, let me tell you)

I saw a video of a lone wolf nuke the entire group on their first turn. Was pretty impressive.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Please can you guys spoiler tag this discussion of the final/near final boss? I really don't want to know whom I'll be fighting and so on.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how online coop works?

If 3 of us own the game. One person hosts the game, we'll call her A. B and C (me) join up with her and we play. We stop for the night after an hour. Can A play the next night by herself or does she need B & C on? Like, would the computer take over for B & C?

Can I play as Lohse? Or do we have to create characters?

Also, can mac and PC play together?

Thanks!

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Figured out online.

But an annoying thing that I've been dealing with. In my own game, on a 2nd play through I really wanted to get the full tyrnat set and now I can't find pieces. I must have sold pieces or something but I swear on my life that I checked every time I sold something, UGHGHGHGHGH.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just wanted to pop in and say how much I've been enjoying playing this game so far. I'm about 60ish hours in I think (been playing on and off for the past couple months) and just wrapped up Act 2. While the combat hasn't fully clicked for me (still having some fun moments with it), I'm just really enjoying the writing and the voice acting. The narrator just does such a great job setting up the atmosphere in conversations, and I really like how they present it. It made me realize how much I enjoy a good narrator in a story, which I feel isn't always that common in video game stories (last one I can remember from a game I played is probably Bastion). I find a lot of the dialog (either from NPC's or player chosen lines) is genuinely funny when it needs to be (especially in some of the goofier side quests), and all in all, does a good job IMO of striking a balance in tone between being lighthearted and being more serious when the story calls for it. I'm enjoying the main story overall, but I think it's some of the side story stuff, and exploring the world (like finding out what happened on Bloodmoon Island) along with main character stories (enjoying Lohse's a lot so far) that have been the most endearing to me in the game so far.

Looking forward to starting Act 3, and finishing up the rest of the game hopefully soon. I heard Act 2 is the largest chunk of the game, but not sure how much I got left at this point.

Edit:

Just wrapped up the game after about 80 hours played. Really enjoyed the writing for the dialog and thought the voice acting was fantastic overall (I'll give another shoutout to the narrator). While I enjoyed the main story, I think this may be another RPG where I enjoyed some of the side stories and character specific quests (felt Lohse's story wrapped up pretty nicely) the most. Going along with that, I think the writing does a good job of creating NPCs that flesh out the world, and the game did a good job of putting me into the role of my chosen character. I liked that NPCs felt like they reacted to your specific character and the game having some more character specific dialog options to make my main character feel more distinct in dialog was a nice touch.

I do wish I enjoyed the combat more, and perhaps its a testament to how much I enjoyed the game's writing that I stuck with it for 80 hours despite the combat just never clicking for me. Enemies often felt quite relentless with their ability to pull off status debuffs (causing missed turns) and their overall damage output, even on the lower difficulties. I think to its credit it also allows a lot of freedom to the player to try out different things and see what works, but I think I was someone who was clearly playing the game inefficiently and it punished me for it. I'm grateful for the 'story mode' difficulty, as I'm not sure I would have gotten to the ending otherwise.

Also, another pleasant surprise to me was the soundtrack. I don't think I heard much about it going into it, but there were quite a few tracks I really liked. I'll just link a couple of my favorites.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
. I don't think I heard much about it going into it, but there were quite a few tracks I really liked. I'll just link a couple of my favorites.

Amber Ale is superb.

Bought this game on the latest sale after contemplating it for a long, long while, afraid of the combat since my every time with turn based jrpg's or more in depth rtwp, d&dish crpg like DA:O were something of a disaster but so far it has been a pleasant surprise. While I can't quite put my finger on why exactly, I'm enjoying the combat quite a bit. Not sure if I won't burn out on it and Driftwood is kicking my ass but so far so good. I do have however a question. I'm rockin 2 phys damage characters & 2 magic dmg ones. After delving into guides and getting some practice, it does really seem like this split is inefficient and is biting me in the butt constantly. Should I respec one half of my squad or is 2 types of dmg a plausible play route for a noob ? ( I really wanted my necromancer and mages :( )

Edit: And will I have an option to change builds (the mirror) until at least the end of Driftwood ?

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I barely delved into CRPG's when I was younger but was interested in this following all the praise and hype for Baldur's Gate 3. Ever since I got it, it's the only thing I feel like playing, I look forward to getting on and progressing little by little every day. This world feels so lived in and is such a joy to explore and adventure in. I wish I got into these games earlier because I'm worried the classics are going to be too archaic to appreciate if I don't have nostalgia for them.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
So, it's done. Tactician playthrough complete. Final boss battles were possibly the hardest in any game I've played. Wiped so many times but got there in the end. One of the best RPGs of all time easily.

Oh, and thanks again for posting massive final fight spoilers.
Telling people that Lucian and Braccus are alive and you fight them at the end is a pretty huge spoiler. Two majot plot twists ruined
. I didn't even realise how big a spoiler it was when I first read it.