Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
I think the difficulty kills this for me. Played 90% Missions in SBXonic and playing drums for more than 30 years doesn't helps a bit it seems.
I bought this yesterday, marked all 4B songs with one or two stars as favorites and played so I got at least A. Today I tried some arcade 4B and had a few gane overs in the 3rd stage. Then tried some 5 and 6 button songs - the easiest - and often got a game over within 10-60 seconds.
What a learning curve!? This is a wall! Super excited yesterday - motivation near zero after this session!

How to practice difficult songs, when there is no speed down/slo motion training option?
Should I record a video, look at it and write down the patterns? Maybe I'm too old.
.... ok, since muscle memory is not coming in a few hours, I will not give up yet, but maybe I delete the game next week ;-)

Would like to hear your approach and experience.

bye

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Hello , Guitar hero , rock band , project diva player here.

Dj max respect felt like the right purchase so i jumped in without even trying the demo and i love it so far.

BUT ..i don't understand what i'm supposed to do when there is this joystick rotating ?i do the move yet i miss ?#confused.
I wish there was a manual or a training or something to explain to me what i'm supposed to do . Any help ?

EDIt : Wait ..... am i supposed to just use the left or right stick at the right time ?

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just push the analog stick in a direction while the bar comes down. Think of it like a hold but with the analog stick.

& yes, if it's on the right side of the chart, then use the right analog stick. Left, use left analog stick.

Meanwhile, damn, 20 missions completed. I hate using notes that aren't the usual bar shape. Stuff like Egg & Heart make it hard to figure out where the middle is. Took me like 4 attempts to bass Seeker 6B Hard on the Resurrection mission. I actually feel exhausted.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
Hello , Guitar hero , rock band , project diva player here.

Dj max respect felt like the right purchase so i jumped in without even trying the demo and i love it so far.

BUT ..i don't understand what i'm supposed to do when there is this joystick rotating ?i do the move yet i miss ?#confused.
I wish there was a manual or a training or something to explain to me what i'm supposed to do . Any help ?

EDIt : Wait ..... am i supposed to just use the left or right stick at the right time ?

There is a manual on there website: http://www.djmaxrespect.com/manual.html?locale=en

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a newbie to DJmax and was frustrated (earlier post) when trying 5,6B.

So the last few days I tried to focus on 4B alone. I can now clear 4 stars and some of the 5 stars.
Looking at videos of even 6B not so hard songs, it looks unreachable for me to ever get this done.

At veteran players: Would you suggest that I practice 4B until I can clear every song and then move forward to 5B or 6B?
Do you remember your first weeks with DJmax ... and what time you needee till it clicked for some harder songs?

I'm really interested in some advice for newbies and your experience and prgoress as new player or long time veteran.

thanx

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a newbie to DJmax and was frustrated (earlier post) when trying 5,6B.

So the last few days I tried to focus on 4B alone. I can now clear 4 stars and some of the 5 stars.
Looking at videos of even 6B not so hard songs, it looks unreachable for me to ever get this done.

At veteran players: Would you suggest that I practice 4B until I can clear every song and then move forward to 5B or 6B?
Do you remember your first weeks with DJmax ... and what time you needee till it clicked for some harder songs?

I'm really interested in some advice for newbies and your experience and prgoress as new player or long time veteran.

thanx
The learning curve is really steep with 5B and 6B. You just have to keep going at it and after some point you can probably do the reasonably challenging ones. Most players probably have a skill ceiling that prevents one from getting good results in the absolute hardest songs with anything past 4B.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna mention that there's an OT to discuss the game & people there are doing their best to offer advice if you guys want to continue discussing the game with more people checking the thread.

Go ahead & stick with 4B for the time being. It's all about learning the muscle memory and the reaction time to the notes. Once you feel like you're at a decent skill level (perhaps passing songs rated 7 or 8, perhaps), go ahead & slowly start again from 5B, or skip to 6B if you feel comfortable enough. It's a slow growth when it comes to this type of rhythm game (same goes for Beatmania), because as you get better, you'll learn the types of patterns the game will throw at you & be able to anticipate them more quickly/accurately. This is probably one of the more steeper learning curves when it comes to rhythm games because of the sheer complexity & speed of the notes in harder charts.

Even now, despite being big into Fever & Portable 3 and getting my groove back super quickly after an 8 year absence, I still have issues having my brain fully understand 8B. It can do 6B fine for the most part (10 or 11 is about the best I can do, MAYBE full combo a 10 depending on the song), but for some reason, adding shoulder buttons just feels weird despite knowing the patterns aren't that bad when you take the L/R button notes out of the equation. It's just something that will hopefully click with you after enough practice.

People act surprised at what I can do, but I'm even more surprised to see people who can pass the hardest songs with perfect combos & have the same question of "how the hell do they possess the capability to do that?"

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
To be fair, more casual people would be happy with 1/3 the songs for 1/3 the price. And then buying the rest as DLC if we love it. The fact is I'm very interested but have never played it and without a demo (not yet in the US anyway), it's a leap of faith. But I agree if you love the game, it's a good price for the content.
And as DLC the price per song would be at least 2x as much. DLC tends to have an incredible premium for what you get, which is why people hate it. You'll be lucky if the DLC songs are only twice as expensive as the standard songs.