Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Kuda's 11 star HD was actually one of the rare "hard but fair & fun" charts. Looking at my records, the hardest songs I can full combo on 4B are Far East Princess MX (10), Revenge MX (10), Chrono Breakers (11) Kuda HD (11), BlackCat HD (11), Chain of Gravity HD (11), Sin MX (11), & Mulch HD (12).

....but I can't fullcombo Road of Death HD (9). Figure that one out.

Edit: Guess I can full combo Sin -The Last Scene- on 4B HD (12) with a S & Nightmare HD (12) with an A as well....okay, then.

All that's left to clear is the MX patterns for Hamsin & that's everything for 4B until the DLC.

Last edited:

throwawayname

Oct 25, 2017
I only got 3h of playtime but the introduction of the 5th button messes me up big time...like it's too much for my brain to handle in the moment, even at 0,5 speed.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5b is harder to learn than 6b because of alternating which button you use for the middle input. Don't let it put you off.

Oct 25, 2017
I only got 3h of playtime but the introduction of the 5th button messes me up big time...like it's too much for my brain to handle in the moment, even at 0,5 speed.

As a general tip: it may seem counterintuitive at first but increasing the speed tends to make recognizing charts easier once you're comfortable enough with the basic input system. Spacing out the notes makes them clearer to distinguish.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think another problem is that at first, because I associated the middle 4B buttons as "up", I also associated the middle 5B button as up for a while. It's probably why the jump to 5B to 6B is easier because then you realize the middle notes are for right & square, which is the same for 5B but as their own separate notes. Part of me wonders if they should've have a 3rd note color to help make it easier to tell from the other note presses, but maybe 3 colors would've been too hard to deal with.

& yes, increase the speed, there will be charts with notes so close together that it's harder to distinguish the timing where as when it's faster, you have less time to worry about accuracy which lets you just focus on hitting the note period.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
What I can't stand about 5-key is that there are charts that are prone to "trapping" you. Say you have a chart that has a long hold on 5, then a long hold on 4, and then a long hold on 3 with no other notes around it. There's no way to know if the hold is going to require you to hold Square or Right, and if you input it wrong you're boned and end up breaking your combo (since you can't switch which button you use for the hold). Or you get situations where you have fast rolls into a chord involving 3 (like on Brand New Days on Hard, for example) where you have to quickly alternate between Square and Right to do the roll... but if you start with the wrong button, you end up having to do a very fast double tap in order to hit the note, since the button you would normally use has to be used to hit 1/2 or 4/5.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are nuts getting that 70% Mastery Trophy already. I've played the game for probably 150 hours or so since last July and am still only at 65%. Those Normal 4B Charts put me to sleeeeep.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
What I can't stand about 5-key is that there are charts that are prone to "trapping" you. Say you have a chart that has a long hold on 5, then a long hold on 4, and then a long hold on 3 with no other notes around it. There's no way to know if the hold is going to require you to hold Square or Right, and if you input it wrong you're boned and end up breaking your combo (since you can't switch which button you use for the hold). Or you get situations where you have fast rolls into a chord involving 3 (like on Brand New Days on Hard, for example) where you have to quickly alternate between Square and Right to do the roll... but if you start with the wrong button, you end up having to do a very fast double tap in order to hit the note, since the button you would normally use has to be used to hit 1/2 or 4/5.

While I've seen it trap with held notes I'd say that's not too common. Most stuff I've played in 5B doesn't have you tap while holding the middle button. I have been watching for it and it does feel like they try to "naturally" get you to use the correct hand by using the same hand as other holds and single presses. I know one song where my combo broke from being trapped I redid and noticed it was actually more natural feeling using the opposite correct hand and I had just fumbled it the first time. You can also default to your right hand for middle holds as you can hold with the tip of your thumb and mash with the pad as a last resort. I've done that a couple times when necessary to keep my combo.

You guys are nuts getting that 70% Mastery Trophy already. I've played the game for probably 150 hours or so since last July and am still only at 65%. Those Normal 4B Charts put me to sleeeeep.

Very true. While I got it at around 30 hours by focusing on it (only aiming for max combos to go towards those goals) there's a few songs that are simply boring. Typically anything three stars and up had enough small complexity that I could aim for a Perfect Play and have some challenge.

Charlie1701

Oct 28, 2017
Still a scrub at L25 but I am having SO much fun with the game. I even streamed some online vs. at the weekend.

Can't wait for the Technika Tune DLC to drop!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, 200m. Really hope we get some DLC tomorrow to help the 300m grind more tolerable.

Oh yeah, a good amount of the normal 4B patterns are rather easy, but they're also a good source of farming S ranks & fullcombos, which is how I got the trophies relating to them so quickly. The only thing left I have to do in 4B is just clear Hamsin MX & that's mainly that part near the end where you gotta push each button like 4 times in a row which is hard for me to do with d-pad buttons.

Now that I just need to grind out my master score, I'm less focused on getting full combos like I was previously, even if it's one single break I get & feel like I should replay it to get the full combo. Been trying to get most of the 5B stuff taken care of before going back to 6B.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
TIL the Master score % doesn't reset when you download DLC, so it goes way past 100%.

I also learned I've apparently cleared more 8B charts than 6B which makes zero sense but okay

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I've been focused on just full combo'ing and S ranking all the normal charts on all modes before moving on to the Hard and MX charts. The grind is real. Also trying to get some perfect plays where I can.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I keep checking sites that focus on trophies to see if maybe the DLC trophies have appeared for the US version hoping we'll get them soon considering they said we were suppose to get all the packs that're available now in Asia this month. I can't imagine they'd release all three packs tomorrow along with Technika. Hell, I know they're seen as a bad thing, but this seems like the perfect game to have a "season pass" or whatever to ensure you get all the future song packs.

Also crap, I tried the mission where you play against the AI. Now I see why people say to wait for the DLC mission against it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this. I'm so bad at this. My only other experience with rhythm games outside of the popular western ones like Guitar Hero ect... has been the Project Diva series and good lord this game puts Project Diva to shame with how much more complicated it is.

Enjoying it though. The range of music is great. Hopefully I can get better and finally graduate out of 4B play.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I should probably mention for newcomers that you guys are lucky in that this is easily the most accessible game in the series for the sheer song count. Basically, if you can't clear one song, put it aside & focus on other songs. Because of how many patterns there are (over 300 for each button style), you're able to have more variety in the difficulty and better yet, more songs to ease your way into learning the game. More patterns means you're able to learn what type of note combinations the game will try to throw at you & able to better slowly work your way up the ratings from the <5 songs to <10 & beyond. Fever had 60 songs though bloody hell, it took FOREVER to unlock the hidden songs (hell, looking at the song list, I had no idea certain songs were in since I never unlocked them despite numerous hours) & the auto-correct meant you relied on it too much so you felt like you weren't passing songs completely on your own skill. Portable 3, despite removing the autocorrect, only had 40 song, & it didn't help that most of the 4B & 5B tracks only had one pattern, so the difficulty curve was much steeper because of the jumps in ratings.

If anything, one of my nitpicks is I wish there was a way to sort songs by difficulty.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this game up over the weekend, absolutely love it sofar but as others have echo'd holy crap am I a complete scrub at this game. I have some experience with Stepmania, DDR, Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I've managed to jump into the 4 note mode easy enough, but my god is 5/6/8 a minefield for me, I find myself unable to complete even the basic 3-4 difficulty songs because those middle notes throw me for such a loop. Getting better and better at 4 button in mean time though, and I definitely love the selection in this game, looks like if I do manage to break through there's going to be plenty to chew through, which is exciting!

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this game up over the weekend, absolutely love it sofar but as others have echo'd holy crap am I a complete scrub at this game. I have some experience with Stepmania, DDR, Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I've managed to jump into the 4 note mode easy enough, but my god is 5/6/8 a minefield for me, I find myself unable to complete even the basic 3-4 difficulty songs because those middle notes throw me for such a loop. Getting better and better at 4 button in mean time though, and I definitely love the selection in this game, looks like if I do manage to break through there's going to be plenty to chew through, which is exciting!

A tip, try to play with 5B. Honestly, I started with 4B and adapating to 6B later became a bigger pain than I thought.
Just now that I was able to re-adjust myself to hit blue notes as up/triangle, but it wasn't exactly an easy process.

OP
OP
MattAces

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
I would suggest you to just learn 6B if you can handle 4B. Make sure you adjust the speed too. Go for x2 or x2.5.
It will be rough but just knowing that you will eventually be good one day is a great motivation to not give up.

One of my proud moment that I happen to be capturing gameplay. And this is my favorite part of the game. There's the learning curve, but beyond that, all you will be trying to do is to get full combo, it's like a different game when you reach there.

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
And for new players make sure to try out different calibration settings and use your TV's Game Mode if it has one.

I'm experienced with the series but I started with some Cs and Bs with rarely a Max Combo to immediately getting all S's or A's with most everything a Max Combo. The timing can be drastically improved by those settings.

UltraChingon

Oct 26, 2017
Wow had no idea a game like this existed. I might jump on this! Big fan of project diva games so this is up my alley. Quick question, is it possible to customize the controls? I play porject diva with an arcade stick and looking at how this works with the 4-8b wondering if i can remap it all.

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Wow had no idea a game like this existed. I might jump on this! Big fan of project diva games so this is up my alley. Quick question, is it possible to customize the controls? I play porject diva with an arcade stick and looking at how this works with the 4-8b wondering if i can remap it all.
Yeah, you can customize them. There's two preset options and a third custom control option that allows you to edit for each button mode.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, I absolutely detest the difference in judgment between 90% and 100%. Making me want to pull my damn hair out when doing perfect plays.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
yes you can. I use the shoulder buttons personally for 4B, don't have a setup yet in mind for 6B onward.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, got my one easy perfect play today. Time to call it quits.
gGOTRUA.jpg
Kind of insane how many hours you can log in this game. Phew. So uh, how's everyone doing so far with their play data?

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Welp, got my one easy perfect play today. Time to call it quits.

Kind of insane how many hours you can log in this game. Phew.
Have you spent a ton of time in missions? Or restart songs all the time? Or does total play time count time in the menu and you let it idle? I have close to 400 total plays but my time is only around 32ish hours so even if I doubled my played to 800 I'd only be at 64 hours potentially. I can only guess you've spent 100 hours doing missions alone and if so that's kind of insane. I've only completed five missions so far so I could see that being the case with how impossible the later missions are.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Have you spent a ton of time in missions? Or restart songs all the time? Or does total play time count time in the menu and you let it idle? I have close to 400 total plays but my time is only around 32ish hours so even if I doubled my played to 800 I'd only be at 64 hours potentially. I can only guess you've spent 100 hours doing missions alone and if so that's kind of insane. I've only completed five missions so far so I could see that being the case with how impossible the later missions are.
Yeah, I do restart songs a lot, especially when I'm aiming for max combos and/or trying to get a perfect play. I'd say 80% of those restarts always end up in failure, though... Didn't realize that added to my timer. As for the missions, I think I've only done like 17 of them. The majority of my time is spent in Arcade/Freestyle.

Alkuk

Feb 8, 2018
So my progress is slow but still there. After playing 4B for about 50 hours overall I can clear 5, sometimes 6 and rarely 7 stars here. More then that still seems illusional to even Get a C-Rank.
Getting used to 5B, what in my case means: No game overs anymore with 1-3* songs ;-)
I also try 1-3* 6B, but am not able to clear more than a dozen songs.

So yeah, a looong way to go.
Would like to read progression from other newbies.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
HOW THE FUCK DID I MISS THIS GAME

only just saw it while I was browsing a list of the top reviewed games of 2018. Gotta get on this shit.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll post my play data later - should point out that I've had the game since August.

Does anybody know what time the PS stores update? That 9 hour time difference between the UK and East Asia could work in my favour here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, how's everyone doing so far with their play data?
I restarted a ton when I first started because I was so obsessed with getting full combos, so it might be a bit off in terms of song count & such, but:

Playcount: 613 songs, 46+ hours (4B: 324 times, 5B: 166 times, 6B: 103 times, 8B: lol only 20 times)

Unlocks: 719/786 (need 1 note, 1 gear, 20 plates, 11 comments, & 34 gallery items)

Best Rate: 98.49% (average: 98.41%)

34 missions cleared, all are now unlocked

S rank: 76%
A rank: 22%
B rank: 2%

Highest cleared: BlythE 4B Maximum (14)

Highest Max Combo: Mulch 4B Hard (12)

Total Score: 202,221,955

Achievements left: Arcade Mode clear 9 & 10 (at 41), 8B Tunes Cleared 3-10 (20/100), Missions cleared (34/50), X5 Fever activated (4879/5000), Online play (only 12), Total Score

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post my play data later - should point out that I've had the game since August.

Does anybody know what time the PS stores update? That 9 hour time difference between the UK and East Asia could work in my favour here.
I'm in the UK too, IIRC the Trilogy/Clazz DLC was available early on (maybe 8am GMT or so) on the day it dropped so hopefully the same will apply tomorrow. I shall be purchasing when I get home from work.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Also I've never understood the "Best Rate" stat as it just gives some random 99.XX% rather than one of my 100% plays

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was perhaps overly optimistic it might drop late-ish tonight, but in that case I'll be buying it after work too.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe not the best thread to ask in as it does specify NA/EU in the title, but if I were to buy the English / Chinese physical release, could I get DLC using a HK PSN account and credit bought via PlayAsia, etc?

Basically I'm just desperate for a physical copy, but don't want to miss out on DLC. This game would mean I could sell on my PSP collection.

Deleted member 8197

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't have a HK account already it's really easy to set up, and has the added benefit of their PlayStation store being in full English. Like Dangerblade, I imported the Asian version and set up a HK account to buy the DLC as well - when you set the account up have it set as primary, then every other account on the same PS4 can access the DLC.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Yep, this is exactly what I do

If you don't have a HK account already it's really easy to set up, and has the added benefit of their PlayStation store being in full English. Like Dangerblade, I imported the Asian version and set up a HK account to buy the DLC as well - when you set the account up have it set as primary, then every other account on the same PS4 can access the DLC.

Thanks for this info, guys! Will be purchasing soon, but its good to know I'll be safe with the out of region stuff.

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this game, and it's really fun so far. Reminds me very much of IIDX. I love getting in the zone and clearing patterns I can barely even parse lol.

A few quick questions:

Is there any way to set the chart to random, like in IIDX?

What controller is everyone using? I was looking at the Virgoo Fever but it appears to be sold out.

Is it possible to hook up my PS2 IIDX controller with an adapter of some sort?

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this game, and it's really fun so far. Reminds me very much of IIDX. I love getting in the zone and clearing patterns I can barely even parse lol.

A few quick questions:

Is there any way to set the chart to random, like in IIDX?

What controller is everyone using? I was looking at the Virgoo Fever but it appears to be sold out.

Is it possible to hook up my PS2 IIDX controller with an adapter of some sort?

1) There is no Random Modifier. And that's probably because the game was designed to be 100% playable with a PS4 controller.

2) I just use the PS4 Controller.

3) No idea!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
........so are we still DLC-less in the US? We haven't even gotten an update allowing for the DLC packs to show up on the trophy list. Is Technika only hitting tomorrow/today for Asia?

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
I was perhaps overly optimistic it might drop late-ish tonight, but in that case I'll be buying it after work too.

Every previous dlc has dropped around 7 to 8 PM CST the day before release date (Korea is 15 hours ahead of me). This will most likely be the same, but I can't speak for the western release. I'd imagine only Technika will be dropping today, as I think it'd be pretty poor marketing to drop every pack alongside the new pack with zero news upfront.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
It would be absolutely wild if they dropped all the previous dlc and the new pack at the same time in the west. I don't know if my wallet could handle it.

That's cool it says the 28th though. I'm enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would and I'm super anxious for more songs.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
"In addition, we will release all DLC that's available in Asia within the first month of base game release so there is no need to wait."

This is what they kept saying, from the PS Blog to BemaniStyle. They easily could've released the 3 packs each week of the month.

I didn't mind the first week since I still had so much content, but now that I'm in the grinding phase of getting 300m score, I really wouldn't mind some new music before I feel like I've "done" everything.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are spoiled, you just got the game haha. There's probably just business shit getting in the way.