Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I think they've been smart to not change anything in a sense that if you want to ignore the changes then, well, you can. Don't care about the new ranking system? Ignore it! Don't care about the changes to the scoring? Again, you can ignore them! And if you do care, it just gives more reasons to play. Obviously there's a lot more to this update so there's still time for "Did they actually just change that?" kind of stuff to come out but I think they know the fanbase well enough not to upset the apple cart too much. And god knows you don't want to piss off the KR rhythm game die-hards especially.

(Although having said all that, I don't know why they can't just automatically convert any PP scores you have into 1,000,000, but meh, I'm not too bothered. Well, I do know why - to get people to play more)

Last edited:

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Several cool updates noted here, like solo open match & side track warning toggle. Really nice stuff

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Summary of the 2.0 update so far:

- "DJ Class" system introduced, to replace the master score ranking. It's basically just a "Number goes up" feature like the levelling up system, only it's achieved by playing charts across a particular 100 tracks: The tracks from the latest 2 DLC packs (so, for example, Falcom and V Extension 5), and then a rotating list to cover the other 70~ spots.

- Fever will no longer affect the score, only the combo multiplier. This kills the tedious act of "fever builds" on charts with lower note densities, to eke out extra points to take the score above the normal PP score for a chart. The highest possible score in a chart (sans fever) is now capped at 1,000,000 instead of 350,000. Current scores will remain in the game for posterity, but leaderboards will be reset.

- In Ladder Match, each player can now choose a song they are confident they can do well in (per button mode).

- While waiting to be matched up with an opponent, a practice mode will be available, where you can play through songs that could show up during games in your current ranking.

- Scores achieved in matches with HARD and MAX judgement are now recorded separately to scores achieved during normal judgement matches.

- The Ladder Match leaderboards have been expanded from the top 100 players to the top 200 players, and you will also be able to see where you rank amongst the players around you.

- In Open Match, you can now start playing tracks without having to wait for other players to show up; if anybody shows up during a track, they will be playing from the next track onwards.

- In the music ranking leaderboards for charts, where scores are tied, the default will now show the most recent scores achieved at the top, rather than those achieved first. This can be toggled back to show the first achievers at the top (who actually gives a fuck, lmfao). Your own ranking will also be shown at the bottom of the leaderboard you're viewing, regardless of the current positions you're looking at.

- Pausing during a song and then resuming will add a score penalty to your performance. This is to stop "strategic methods" of ensuring MAX 100% playthroughs.

- Pressing F5 during a song will instantly restart it (I'd personally prefer modifiers to do this automatically if you hit less than MAX 100% on a note/miss a note but this is a decent alternative).

- You can now turn off the SIDE TRACK cues that pop up before the notes themselves (I am totally going naked and turning fever off now that it no longer affects scoring, along with turning off the side track cues; the less unneeded visual clutter the better).

- There is now a global BGA brightness setting, to equalise the brightness of all BGAs.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... the F5 thing sounds great, the pause thing makes me think I need to change my controls. Steam Deck + my fat fingers means I accidentally do this here (+ clone hero) more than Id like.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Couple small features that sound ok I guess. So far none of this news pertains to me as I never cared about score or the online portion of the game at all ever.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea you could pause as a "strategic method" to score better. I guess I could maybe see it if you're fast enough, but honestly, that would peev me more knowing I lost points because I had to pause to go to the bathroom, answer the phone, or check on something.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they're adding a global BGA setting, that's been an annoyance for the game's whole existence and I figured they wouldn't do it for some dumb reason at this point. The scoring system change is also welcome (the Fever bonus was just dumb across the board), although I don't like how there's a new/old split in rating, basically mandating to anyone who cares about their rating to buy the newest DLC packs (which is the point, I guess). At least they didn't add a recent score component (which is universally awful in the games that do it).

I had no idea you could pause as a "strategic method" to score better. I guess I could maybe see it if you're fast enough, but honestly, that would peev me more knowing I lost points because I had to pause to go to the bathroom, answer the phone, or check on something.
The most obvious use is for songs with speed changes mid-song, you can pause and then freely adjust your scroll speed when players who don't pause either have to deal with the scroll speed difference or fiddle with the scroll speed mid-song (which is an actual skill in some games, like Beatmania IIDX). A more dedicated script could be set up to basically buffer and unbuffer pauses, allowing you way more time to hit notes in dense charts. It's dumb, but some people will go to crazy lengths to cheat.

If you're really on a good run and you have to pause and you care about the score that much... you'll probably just end up restarting anyway. This also isn't the first game with such a thing in place, I know Rock Band will invalidate scores if you pause and unpause multiple times during a song. Or you could just do what Arcaea does and have no delay when unpausing, making it nearly impossible to not miss (and actually impossible if you paused during a hold). :p

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
genshin rhythm game starts today lmao

edit: wait

*Season pass is provided free of charge during the beta period.

they're... thinking of actually charging even more money for the game right now?

yeah no lol, beta and bail if so

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
they're... thinking of actually charging even more money for the game right now?

yeah no lol, beta and bail if so
I read it as "Whilst the game is in early access" but...who knows.

The Memme tracks are locked. I presume you have to play through all the M2U tracks again in the season pass to unlock them. This is a monkey's paw moment I didn't consider when wanting new artists lmfao

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Rewind sounds like a really interesting feature. Glad they keep adding some of these QOL features to the game, even years later.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
- Mouse support will be enabled (for the menus, not hitting notes, you psychopath).

- A quick navigation menu to jump between different modes will be added.

- The options menu will be streamlined into different categories.

- Some of the pop-up unlock notifications will be changed to a listing of contents rather than individual notifications for each unlockable.

- The game guide will be updated for further clarity.

- The main menu screen will be new and shiny to celebrate the release of version 2.0.

- A rewind feature will be enabled in Freestyle and Ladder Match practice modes, whereby you can go back and replay a section of a song. Score, rate and combo will be reset. A score and rate penalty will be applied to the final result.

- The DJMAX Shop will be open, whereby you can spend Play Points (earned in game in various ways) and Rocky Points (purchased via Steam). The Play Points are used to earn previous seasons' clear pass free items that were previously missed. The Rocky Points are used to earn previous seasons' clear pass premium items that were previously missed. Play Points can also be exchanged to earn physical acrylic figure rewards via Ladder Match placements.

- My Info is being overhauled to a card-style which features more info, and, eventually, the ability to unlock and use new profile pictures.

- Steam Cloud saving is being added.

- The modifier slots in equipment are being overhauled.

- Unlocking songs via levelling up will be faster for those new to the game.

- The revamped Glory MAX BGA is finally ready.

- Existing scores WILL be converted to fit in to the new scoring system. A feature will be available at a later date so that you can view scores/rates etc. achieved before the 2.0 update.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
oh right, so contextually all the custom maps people made from the previous event were preserved and you can just re-publish them.

this is a new development (the event PRIOR to that one didn't carry over); in other words prior to this it was like a few hours investment to make a chart and it lasts 3 weeks, so why even bother going hard

it kinda means that all the time investment is at least permanent albeit not seasonal

it's actually made me think of levelling alts in other regions to play other people's stuff and/or making easier maps (like DJMAX 5-9 level) so more people have it within their range, but all this isn't happening this go-around unfortunately

still it's insane how much effort they're putting into this thing constantly

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I know all the talk will be of the actual features of the 2.0 upgrade, but holy shit that last shot of DieIn ordering Fail to attack overlaying with the shot of her starting the attack is so good.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
oh right, so contextually all the custom maps people made from the previous event were preserved and you can just re-publish them.

this is a new development (the event PRIOR to that one didn't carry over); in other words prior to this it was like a few hours investment to make a chart and it lasts 3 weeks, so why even bother going hard

it kinda means that all the time investment is at least permanent albeit not seasonal

it's actually made me think of levelling alts in other regions to play other people's stuff and/or making easier maps (like DJMAX 5-9 level) so more people have it within their range, but all this isn't happening this go-around unfortunately

still it's insane how much effort they're putting into this thing constantly
What's the likelihood of this becoming a full mode like Fortnite Festival is? Cuz I'd just get frustrated if I really started to enjoy it, only to find it ends in a few weeks and I gotta wait 11 months until the next event. I've watched a few of your notecharts, I dig the music a lot so I would enjoy this (even though I know nothing about Genshin Impact aside from it being filed along with Raid Shadow Legends and World of Tanks in my head for all the YouTuber sponsorship spam over the past few years)

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I know all the talk will be of the actual features of the 2.0 upgrade, but holy shit that last shot of DieIn ordering Fail to attack overlaying with the shot of her starting the attack is so good.
It looks cool but I can't help but wonder what the original BGA was like. Lost media forever probably. Thanks incels <3

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
What's the likelihood of this becoming a full mode like Fortnite Festival is? Cuz I'd just get frustrated if I really started to enjoy it, only to find it ends in a few weeks and I gotta wait 11 months until the next event. I've watched a few of your notecharts, I dig the music a lot so I would enjoy this (even though I know nothing about Genshin Impact aside from it being filed along with Raid Shadow Legends and World of Tanks in my head for all the YouTuber sponsorship spam over the past few years)

they've been pouring more and more effort into it every iteration

i would not be surprised if they have something cooking

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
djm.png

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Update 2.0 Changelog
New Clear Pass+ song, new free song, P1 & P2 SCs, and a spreadsheet of every difficulty rerated song in the game (nearly all of them)
store.steampowered.com

DJMAX RESPECT V - CLEAR PASS SEASON 12 & 2.0 UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT - Steam News

CLEAR PASS SEASON 12 & 2.0 UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT Hello, this is ROCKY STUDIO. On May 16th, 2024, there will be maintenance for the Clear Pass Season 12 and the 2.0 update. The maintenance will take place from 10 AM to 6 PM KST, lasting approximately 8 hours. Please note that the game will not be...

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
so uh

probably to the surprise of no one (lmao) for this iteration of the rhythm game event i worked with Hoyoverse/Astra Carnival to create some (mid-)high difficulty stuff for the ongoing $2400/104,000primo prize pool event

View: https://twitter.com/AstraCarnival/status/1789879965653065807

unsurprisingly some monsters have already 100%'d it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIQbI8xDyVI

also in more DJMAX-related conversation i found secret tech to basically make the event way more playable for myself

View: https://youtu.be/5FKBygyOQo0

essentially rendering the Genshin window 6 times in OBS and cutting out a tiny column from each one in realtime for like a frame delay

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Update 2.0 Changelog
New Clear Pass+ song, new free song, P1 & P2 SCs, and a spreadsheet of every difficulty rerated song in the game (nearly all of them)
store.steampowered.com

DJMAX RESPECT V - CLEAR PASS SEASON 12 & 2.0 UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT - Steam News

CLEAR PASS SEASON 12 & 2.0 UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT Hello, this is ROCKY STUDIO. On May 16th, 2024, there will be maintenance for the Clear Pass Season 12 and the 2.0 update. The maintenance will take place from 10 AM to 6 PM KST, lasting approximately 8 hours. Please note that the game will not be...

Going back to 13 as the max difficulty rating, interesting. Not sure why, there's enough variance to have those extra 2 ratings. Not happy with no Online track to go with the new season, I thought Kamui would just be added into the EZ2ON DLC or something.

so uh

probably to the surprise of no one (lmao) for this iteration of the rhythm game event i worked with Hoyoverse/Astra Carnival to create some (mid-)high difficulty stuff for the ongoing $2400/104,000primo prize pool event

View: https://twitter.com/AstraCarnival/status/1789879965653065807

unsurprisingly some monsters have already 100%'d it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIQbI8xDyVI

also in more DJMAX-related conversation i found secret tech to basically make the event way more playable for myself

View: https://youtu.be/5FKBygyOQo0

essentially rendering the Genshin window 6 times in OBS and cutting out a tiny column from each one in realtime for like a frame delay

I saw one of your playthroughs with the new visuals lol, hopefully it becomes popular enough for them to add it as a native feature, presumably it wouldn't be too hard for them to add in the vertical lane style as an option instead of the into the screen one.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwD3Ncpqd10

it's actually insane how much easier it is now. taking like probably 5x less tries to get the 100% for video's sake

only thing is OBS decides to freak out once in a while and drop to 15FPS for 5 secs or so, but shrug, still net time saved. i might actually go back and redo all my videos on the genshin stuff in this format i love it so much

also oh yeah DJMAX 2.0 in two days and stuff

looking forward to the new SCs

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
The lines between notes at the same level really throw me off, as do the end of long notes looking like a new note lmao. I'd get use to it with practice though I guess.

As an aside, rhythm games have become pretty damn popular in China over the past decade or so it seems. Cytus, Musynx, Muse Dash, DeeMo (Taiwan) and now Genshin Impact ready to steamroll in.

Respect V S12 theme is "School" so everybody prepare yourselves as there's probably going to be some "icky" visuals in there ala some of the Muse Dash stuff...

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
The lines between notes at the same level really throw me off, as do the end of long notes looking like a new note lmao. I'd get use to it with practice though I guess.

As an aside, rhythm games have become pretty damn popular in China over the past decade or so it seems. Cytus, Musynx, Muse Dash, DeeMo (Taiwan) and now Genshin Impact ready to steamroll in.

Respect V S12 theme is "School" so everybody prepare yourselves as there's probably going to be some "icky" visuals in there ala some of the Muse Dash stuff...
I don't think anything can be worse than Buro & Play's menu image, but I guess I could be surprised :/

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
XBOX is play anywhere?
I've googled and found conflicting answers. The game didn't show up on a list I found of Play Anywhere games, but I found a comment here:

With game pass membership game is $40 USD. Even though it isn't listed as Xbox Play Anywhere, it shows I own it across Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X and PC. All DLC plays across all platforms as well.

So...nyes?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
2.0 update is live on Steam.
Server maintenance should end in May 16, 2024 at 5:00 AM, pending any possible delays.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I want to boot DJ Max back up, but I always feel like playing on keyboard is congested and mashy on 6B and 8B. Is there a controller anyone uses that works well with this game? I had a K28 a few years back but got rid of it for whatever reason. I considered grabbing one again, especially now that there's an update coming to the game.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
I want to boot DJ Max back up, but I always feel like playing on keyboard is congested and mashy on 6B and 8B. Is there a controller anyone uses that works well with this game? I had a K28 a few years back but got rid of it for whatever reason. I considered grabbing one again, especially now that there's an update coming to the game.
Isn't a K28 even more congested than a regular keyboard?
A fullsize keyboard, where you can spread your hands out by putting your right hand on numpad, is a good option. A TKL with a split-spacebar is good too.

Or use a dualshock and play controller charts the way they were meant to be played, heh.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Finally being able to turn off fever with impunity (and side note notices, though it's gonna take a little getting used to) is so good. Takes me back to Online and P1 where accuracy was king. Fever was fine, it's been in the franchise for 17 years but this was a good decision. And it's a tiny thing but I am blown away by how fast and seamless quick restart is. Now just give me the option to turn off the rewind notice at the top right of the screen please.

I'm about half way through, it's amazing. From the seamless transitions mixing from one song into another to the new remixes and live instrument versions of stuff spanning all 20 years, to the overall vibe, I would kill to be there. Definitely gonna catch tomorrow's stream live.

EDIT: All the Hayako stuff TAK is doing certainly adds fuel to the "same person" fire lol

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

a lot of it might also be getting the right keyboard

i got a new blackwidow and couldn't use it because of the different switches and went back to my old one despite the 4 double-triggering (so i use 153 now for right hand lol) - that's how much the minute differences make

but i'm also probably the biggest KB proponent in the thread so ignore me

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
unless that preview clip is doctored it seems like both perfect high and perfect contribute to 100% with perfect high being 'a bonus' on top of that

it's an interesting system that dangles the carrot a little lower/more accessible while also having harder judge

edit:
SEoHG92.png

all i needed to know thanks FOX-B for setting that bar
Isn't that sort of two-tiered scoring fairly common nowadays? Sound Voltex, Maimai DX and Ongeki all have variations of that where those games have two different scoring systems with two different sets of timing windows. (Maimai DX's gets a little goofy as there are specific notes in a chart that use the tighter window for the Break bonus on regular scoring)

What's doubly funny to me is that DJmax already has something in place for that (with its Hard and Max scoring modes)... and doesn't really do anything with it outside of the ranked mode (the default timing window is way too wide, imo).

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
right, and tbh most games are more lenient on long note releases (and surprisingly some on long note starts too - EZ2ON gives you a Kool instead of Cool for long note starts, for example)