Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I've spent about half an hour with it. Once I figured out you needed the mouse to change the keybinds and I got all the settings as I liked them, I actually dig it overall. No keysounds, dull patterns (though I'm too scared to play anything above HD+ right now lmao, maybe tomorrow) and a judgement window you could fit a bus in - these are things I can overlook if I find the music varied and interesting, which I do (sorry M2U, maybe I'll load up VVAV One again in a few months).

I will definitely keep an eye on this one

EDIT: Okay I tried a few of the harder charts and I quit partway through some of them because I would just be mashing otherwise. In stuff like DJMAX and EZ2ON when it's clear a chart is too hard for me I don't go away thinking "That chart is a mess", I think "I'll get there in time" but I came away with the former feeling here. I'll stick to HD and HD+ I think, but even then some of the 4K HD+ charts...yeesh

EDIT 2: shockdude has since pointed out that the lunatic modifier I noticed but didn't do anything with should halve the judgement window so that's that negative alleviated at least

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
EZ2ON Fortress DLC getting expanded soon!

Hello, This is EZ2ON Team.

We will be performing server maintenance to update the 'Side Chapter' of the
'Fortress Collaboration DLC'.

During the maintenance period, the game will be unavailable for use.
We ask for your understanding.

[KST/JST] Mar. 12, 14:00 - Mar. 12, 19:00 (Korea / Japan Standard Time)
[CST/SGT] Mar. 12, 13:00 - Mar. 12, 18:00 (China / Singapore Standard Time)
[UTC] Mar. 12, 05:00 - Mar. 12, 10:00
[PT] Mar. 11, 22:00 - Mar. 12, 03:00 (Pacific Time)

*The schedule may be subject to change.

store.steampowered.com

EZ2ON REBOOT : R - 03/12 Server Maintenance Notice - Steam News

Server maintenance to update the 'Side Chapter' of the 'Fortress Collaboration DLC'. [UTC] Mar. 12, 05:00 - Mar. 12, 10:00

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
hwikky won't be around to do a live English translation of the Falcom DLC dev stream on Thursday, sadly. I'll still watch anyway and post any info I can still understand from it in here.

V Extension 5 coming to PS4 also on Thursday. A reminder for what awaits:

View: https://youtu.be/Nu5c52_y-08?si=hnLQ6x-D5pNNvmUa

I've settled on this being my favourite V Extension DLC, and by extension (see what I did there) one of the best sets of songs in franchise history.

Don't forget to turn your speed modifier down for Carrot Carrot

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
V Extension 5 now available on PS4. Imaginary Dance has also been patched to change the vocalist (Korean-incel-drama-gate). Presumably a change coming to Respect V imminently.

Falcom DLC stream begins in 10 mins

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
10 tracks, releasing 14th Mar 2024

Ashita e no Kodou [The Legend of Heroes] [Falcom Sound Team]
Blue Destination [The Legend of Heroes: Trials of Cold Steel II] [Takahiro Unisuga]
Genesis Beyond the Beginning [Ys Origin] [Ryo Takeshita]
Inevitable Struggle [The Legend of Heroes] [Masanori Osaki]
Norse Wind [Ys IX: Monstrum Nox] [Mitsuo Singa]
Silver Will [The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky] [Wataru Ishibashi]
Step Ahead [The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III] [Falcom Sound Team]
Sunshine Coastline [Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana] [Takahiro Unisuga]
To Make the End of Battle [Ys II] [Yuzo Fucking Koshiro]
To the Future. [The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV] [Falcom Sound Team]

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
- Live DJ event coming to celebrate the release of DRIVE (sets by the new breed of composers like Pure 100%, Pierre Blanche etc.)
- DRIVE features original tracks by the likes of SOPHI, MINIMONSTER etc. along with some extended versions of VE5 tracks not yet released
- "Best of Respect V" style release VERSE.1 coming (basically an OST of the theme songs)
- New merch coming (clothes, pendants, a mouse for some reason)
- Version 2.0 of the game coming in May (a couple of things I've heard, not sure if officially announced: A new in-game store with the ability to purchase previous season premium rewards will finally be a thing, and DJMAX Ray songs will get their own tab)
- Glory MAX BGA still coming soon (with version 2.0?)
- BlueWhite by Hayako is the next free track update (from Tapsonic Bold)
- Next DLC: V Extension 6 (Q2 2024; branded as "End of Extension" but seems to just be that they're re-branding to "Technika 4" so panic over)

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I presume they've literally just replaced the vocalist with jam-jam so there aren't gonna be any new charts for it

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
yeah it definitely wasn't what i was expecting when the patch notes on discord said "Imaginary Dance track has been changed."

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So on a general gameplay related note...

I've been focusing on playing through 6B SC charts in order of difficulty over the past few weeks, getting to a point where I can comfortably S rank anything up to level 7 or so, and comfortably A or S rank up to level 12 (with a few exceptions here and there). As I've got better, I've internally challenged where I've been breaking my combos (usually on chords) as I'm sure I pressed the right keys; before I'd just strike it up to "not gud enough" and not really further question it. Today though, after playing something (can't remember what chart) and swearing I had the rhythm down but still getting several breaks I decided to look into the game settings. In the options is "Polling rate" which I've never touched before. Earlier today I upped it to 500 (from 250) to test my theory.

Lo and behold, 99.9X% clears are becoming PPs and A ranks are turning into S ranks, with a lot more full combos. I'm now kicking myself that I seemingly hamstrung myself for 200+ hours without even realising it.

tl;dr - check your polling rate, kids (for reference, I'm on Steam Deck so anybody else playing on it, up the rate immediately and I guarantee you'll notice a positive difference)

(Yes Falk, next stop: ASIO)

EDIT: Okay so maybe this wasn't as big a deal as I was making out - the game still fails to register 6 key chords most of the time. Repeated plays of the beginning of The Final Dance 6K SC confirms this. I've tried all the different polling rates, up to 4000, and it still happens, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I can only presume some kind of Steam Deck compatability issue because it's certainly not my keyboard (unless DJMAX's own keyboard isn't up to par for their own game lmfao). I did have a similar problem in EZ2ON when I first played that but there was a key setting I had active that remedied that when I changed it. Sigh. Oh well. Actually, it's probably the combination of keys I use. Maybe if I changed them it would be better but I really can't be arsed to learn a new set at this point.

Last edited:

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Quickly played about half the VEx5 tracks - didn't notice the BPM on Carrot Carrot. I was not ready.

lmao I tried to warn people. I imagine the speed preset for that song for most people is going to be 1.0. The entire song is a fair bit faster than that section in Festa Nova.

Yes!!!! This was all I wanted!!!
Honestly I don't know anything about Falcom games except that the music I've heard over the years has been great so I'm excited for this one. I don't even really mind the smaller tracklist as there's no remixes. All original stuff.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
man EZ2ON folks seem so reluctant to even stream nowadays lmao

need a bunch of people to siphon them some energy

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
e83c5768319cb723e189cd447b6d15600c1b453d.png

On March 14th, 2PM to 4PM KST, DJMAX RESPECT V will process a server maintenance to release FALCOM PACK.
During the maintenance period, the game will not be available for playing.
You need to update the game in the Steam Client to process the game properly.

For detailed information please check below.

UPDATE DETAILS :

> New DLC RELEASE
  • FALCOM PACK

View: https://youtu.be/6NbWhJj1INo

※ The launch discount for New DLC will process for one week.
※ FALCOM PACK will be added to: COLLABORATION BUNDLE & Complete Edition

> Content Update
9c59a9e0b6b0b542b57b5ffc8d24ee9cc372c198.png

BlueWhite by HAYAKO will be updated for DJMAX RESPECT V's 4th Anniversary for a free track.

> Modification
  • Track "Imaginary Dance" will be changed to a new vocal version.
>Steam Spring Sale 2024
ba2f1e5fac62eefbb752c92e530fba508a447a02.jpg

• DJMAX RESPECT V will be participating the Steam Spring Sale 2024 Event which starts from March 15th 2AM KST and runs for one week.
    For detailed information, we will upload a separate announcement once it starts.
Thank You

...but nevermind that, it's all about EZ2ON until Thursday

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Not played as much as I'd hoped tonight due to connection issues. I think the Sobrem and KARUT remixes are my early favourites.

Hoping for a sale on the Time Traveller and Endless Circulation packs later this week but I'll probably pick up both anyway even if not.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
DJMAX x Falcom DLC...well, if you like Falcom music you'll enjoy it. I am in that camp. For a collab I can't put it above something like Muse Dash due to the lack of keysounds and not much variety with the music, but FST has a pretty tried-and-tested style. It would be nice to have one or two more vocal tracks, though. The DLC is on the easier side, think Deemo kind of level (on 6K, only 3 MX charts are level 12+, and only 4 SC charts are level 10+; I'm assuming other modes are similar). Hearing something like To Make the End of Battle with its ancient sound fidelity is fucking wild in all its 1988 glory lmao but I appreciate it for what it is. I love the theme, gear and note too.

Top 3:

Ashita e no Kodou
Blue Destination
Sunshine Coastline

tl;dr: Solid DLC, nothing blowaway, roll on V Extension 6

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited about the Falcom stuff. Any sales for the newer DLC on Steam currently? I forget how up to date I am...

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
So after further playtime and realising I added like 70% of the songs to my favourites tab I am officially upgrading the Falcom DLC from "Solid" to "Damn Fucking Good"

Also picked up EZ2ON Time Traveller and Spin Rhythm Monstercat DLCs in the Steam sale. Today has been a good day.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Messing around with DJ Max on the Steam Deck again. Decided to tweak the controls (so glad the Steam Deck makes this easy) to have the left stick double up as the DPAD - because the Deck DPAD is awful for diagonals. Honestly works like a charm and while I prefer to use the DPAD where possible, the stick works fine for most (easier) tracks. Just tweaking some other options relating to timing now.
Should mean now this is THE place Ill be playing DJMax from here on out, which is perfect for me, as its such a great pick up and play game, might mean I actually start finishing all these DLC packs I buy!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the Falcom and V Extention 5 DLC purchased... feels good to be back with the game!

Spent more time with the tweaked control scheme and its everything I wanted for my fledgling 4B runs. Managing to get decent S rank scores, no weird judder like way back when on the Steam Deck, honestly the only issue is starting the game from sleep mode due to the DRM... otherwise this is basically the perfect DJMax set up for me.

Ive no doubt my overall playtime is about to be doubled in no time at all!

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of using analog controls instead of d-pad is absolutely wild to me but if you can make it work and enjoy it I salute you good sir!

I'm going to refrain from posting about V Extension 5 yet again like a rabid fanboy.

Just kidding, it's incredible

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The thought of using analog controls instead of d-pad is absolutely wild to me but if you can make it work and enjoy it I salute you good sir!
Its an absolutely insane choice no doub! Like I feel it should not work at all considering certain note patterns. Yet... it works for me lol! I can actually glide from note to note really nicely with it, so despite how weird the idea is, its actually going to let me really drill deep into the game on my Steam Deck, so I couldnt be happier!

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Given TMTEoB is from 1988 it got me wondering what the oldest song in DJMAX is aside from the stuff in the Falcom pack and I'm pretty sure it only goes back as far as 1999 with the EZ2DJ 1st Trax songs: Envy Mask, Look Out and Stay (I think that's all of them). Though maybe there's a licensed track from the KR/CN Online server that's older (I don't think any of the JP server licensed stuff was that old).

No wait nevermind the classical songs got Falcom beat by about 200 years

arieh

Jan 8, 2023
thisisgame did another interview with bexter for djmax's 20th (!!!) anniversary. makes me feel real old knowing ive played the series since 2009

interview is only in korean, so I'll slowly read thru it later on

link to interview

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
thisisgame did another interview with bexter for djmax's 20th (!!!) anniversary. makes me feel real old knowing ive played the series since 2009

interview is only in korean, so I'll slowly read thru it later on

link to interview
Thanks for sharing, seems to read OK with Google Translate. Good to know they are very aware of and embracing the 20 year anniversary. Hopefully they do something special for it. It seems that there are zero plans to stop support for the game anytime soon, in fact the team is expanding.

Bexter also confirms that Kamui from EZ2ON will be added to Respect V as part of version 2.0, along with a "new feature" related to gameplay. Hmmmm...

Also:

We have attempted to deviate from traditional music games and are also researching porting to other platforms. There are also attempts at completely new music games. I am currently researching these three things.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been working on a few more songs this evening... I find the difficulty rankings in DJMax to be fascinating, because quite often Ill end up finding stuff that's 7 or 8 star harder than some 10 star songs lol. Tonight I managed to max combo a few 10 star songs, very pleased with myself! Most only took a couple of tries to do. But at the same time, there were a couple of 7-8 star songs which took me several attempts just to S rank!
Cant really complain though, its so darn satisfying to chip away at a song over multiple tries, makes that eventual good run feel all the better! Im happy at how well the Steam Deck is handling the game for me now, Ive put in a good 10ish hours on the game in the last week, my current goal is to firstly clear every song, then S rank every song, then finally move to other button difficulties (4B is my focus right now).

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question...I got the achievement for getting my combo to 100k (or whatever the actual number was). Is there any reason I should keep it going or can I safely ignore it now?

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question...I got the achievement for getting my combo to 100k (or whatever the actual number was). Is there any reason I should keep it going or can I safely ignore it now?

There's an achievement for getting a 999,999 combo, so I hope you meant that rather than 100,000, otherwise the grind still awaits you.

Not sure if you're playing Respect or Respect V so take your pick if you want a comprehensive achievement/trophy and unlock guide:

DJMAX Respect V (PC/Xbox) achievement and unlock guide by mdcurtis99

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: DJMAX RESPECT V 100% Achievements, Walkthrough, and Unlock Guide

This guide goes over all achievements, song and gallery unlocks, plate unlocks, music videos, and will be updated after each new DLC release....

DJMAX Respect (PS4) trophy guide by Wdog-999, ggamer15 and Tearraven

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Been working on a few more songs this evening... I find the difficulty rankings in DJMax to be fascinating, because quite often Ill end up finding stuff that's 7 or 8 star harder than some 10 star songs lol. Tonight I managed to max combo a few 10 star songs, very pleased with myself! Most only took a couple of tries to do. But at the same time, there were a couple of 7-8 star songs which took me several attempts just to S rank!
Cant really complain though, its so darn satisfying to chip away at a song over multiple tries, makes that eventual good run feel all the better! Im happy at how well the Steam Deck is handling the game for me now, Ive put in a good 10ish hours on the game in the last week, my current goal is to firstly clear every song, then S rank every song, then finally move to other button difficulties (4B is my focus right now).
Yeah there's always going to be difficulty discrepancies. Some charts are just different styles to others when it comes to the patterns, different chords, jacks etc. so it's hard to rate them all in the same way. You'll especially find this more as you progress towards higher difficulty stuff on the other button modes.

Falk What are your thoughts on the Falcom DLC? I watched some of your stream but the game sound kind of drowned out your commentary so I couldn't really hear your thoughts.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Will Version 2.0 be accompanied with a PS5 release? I still have my old HK PS4 import that I haven't touched in many years since the onslaught of dlc started. Can't exactly get HK money that frequently plus back then patches started to remove features like the calibration tool so I just never booted it up online past the 3rd dlc.

Would be nice to switch to a USA copy on a newer console.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Will Version 2.0 be accompanied with a PS5 release? I still have my old HK PS4 import that I haven't touched in many years since the onslaught of dlc started. Can't exactly get HK money that frequently plus back then patches started to remove features like the calibration tool so I just never booted it up online past the 3rd dlc.

Would be nice to switch to a USA copy on a newer console.
There's been no mention of a PS5 release officially and I've seen no rumours whatsoever so don't bank on it

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's always going to be difficulty discrepancies. Some charts are just different styles to others when it comes to the patterns, different chords, jacks etc. so it's hard to rate them all in the same way. You'll especially find this more as you progress towards higher difficulty stuff on the other button modes.
Yeah, I find its mainly down to certain note patterns which is what really gets me - you can have a lower ranked difficulty but if the pattern is one I struggle with, it may as well be darn near impossible lol. Meanwhile if the song has a fairly straight forward chart, just really hectic, then I can usually tap through it - example being my favourite song - Holy Orders, which I cleared the 11* version today, while I struggled on Here in the Moment (full) despite that being a 7-8*. But it is still darn satisfying to clear a few more 10* songs in a run, I remember that and the mission mode being the toughest trophies on the PS4 version for me... then again I still attest that mission mode is just not fun lol.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
There's an achievement for getting a 999,999 combo, so I hope you meant that rather than 100,000, otherwise the grind still awaits you.

Damn, I didn't know about the 999,999 comobo achievement. I guess I'll keep it going, then. The thing about doing that, though, is that it forces me to play it safe by only replaying songs that I've already full combo'd. There's still a lot of songs that I don't have any score on.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I find its mainly down to certain note patterns which is what really gets me - you can have a lower ranked difficulty but if the pattern is one I struggle with, it may as well be darn near impossible lol. Meanwhile if the song has a fairly straight forward chart, just really hectic, then I can usually tap through it - example being my favourite song - Holy Orders, which I cleared the 11* version today, while I struggled on Here in the Moment (full) despite that being a 7-8*. But it is still darn satisfying to clear a few more 10* songs in a run, I remember that and the mission mode being the toughest trophies on the PS4 version for me... then again I still attest that mission mode is just not fun lol.

The more you play the more used to it you'll get and the more you'll be able to clear. Will be interesting to see how far you can get before the SD dpad becomes an issue!

Damn, I didn't know about the 999,999 comobo achievement. I guess I'll keep it going, then. The thing about doing that, though, is that it forces me to play it safe by only replaying songs that I've already full combo'd. There's still a lot of songs that I don't have any score on.

Tbh I'd just save that achievement for one of the last, especially if you feel your confidence at full comboing patterns limits you to what you play. There's no joy to be had in grinding away at a small pool of low level charts over and over again, some people do that though. Then again some people have the patience for fever builds and note squeezing so it's certainly a niche that exists.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The more you play the more used to it you'll get and the more you'll be able to clear. Will be interesting to see how far you can get before the SD dpad becomes an issue!
Honestly Im amazed its going as well as it is - Im getting good (for me) high scores, S ranks, and clearing tougher difficulties which seemed impossible previously. Things just clicked nicely so I reckon Im fairly good for most songs up to 10*, then it gets harder... but that'd be true no matter the controller Im using!

Im just wondering how many songs I have to clear... I put most of my time into the PS4 version so the PC one is still largely untouched for me, so I probably still have a couple of hundred songs (at least) to play at least once, not to mention trying for higher scores and ranks... that's just for 4B!

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Im just wondering how many songs I have to clear... I put most of my time into the PS4 version so the PC one is still largely untouched for me, so I probably still have a couple of hundred songs (at least) to play at least once, not to mention trying for higher scores and ranks... that's just for 4B!
Base game is around 180-190 songs at this point I think. I think the number of songs including all the DLC is 618