• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do JKR's recent statements negatively impact your interest in a new Harry Potter RPG?

• Yes, I am now less likely to purchase the game.

Votes: 654 23.4%
  • No, her statements have had no bearing on my interest in the game.

Votes: 1,614 57.7%
  • I have no interest regardless of her comments.

Votes: 530 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
No, one person's shitty views don't reflect the views of hundreds of developers working on the game.

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough for me. I love Harry Potter, but some of her beliefs are despicable. I will probably get the game used, if at all.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
She still profits from it much the same as any other creator, brand, studio or vendor you would boycot.
I agree with you, but she already won the HP lottery. She's one of the richest people in the world.

And her book sales are evergreen at this point.

This isn't some influencer on the come up. She came up lol.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's a bit of a vile person, but i don't want to punish the devs of a potentially amazing game set in an amazing world because of her views, on one hand. On the other hand she's gonna profit from it and that bothers me.

Pretty much where I'm at.

It's tough for me. I love Harry Potter, but some of her beliefs are despicable. I will probably get the game used, if at all.

This is a rather good plan. Buying it used will at least alleviate some of my concerns.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you believe that's a skill or something?
know-it-all.jpg

Clearly they do, Hitler was a great painter and apparently can still separate the art from the artist /s

She doubled down recently on using the label "People who menstruate" to refer to women in order to exclude trans women and can get fucking lost for that. Secondly, she's making profit off this so no, I won't.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
She's still gonna profit from it, so that's a skip for me.
She's filthy rich. Even if the HP game flops, it wouldn't make any difference to her.

This is a game I've been waiting for for a decade. The fact that me buying it would make some bad rich person a little richer doesn't matter. When you're that rich, it doesn't make a difference. The developers working on the game deserve money for their work. I don't care about Rowling.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It's a hard sell for me, as the whole franchise is tainted now. I need to mull on it though, since at the same time theres a lot of people working on this, would be great if some of those are trans themselves.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
If the character creator is inclusive then I will play it. If it isn't, then her views are being reflected in this product and I won't support it.

I don't like her transphobic attitudes but I hope that the other creators involved with the universe can make it more inclusive of all identities.

EDIT: After reading her latest essay, I have changed my mind. She is a bigot that is actively promoting hate and I want nothing to do with her work.

Last edited:

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Results are certainly disheartening here. Her recent essay is just a terf manifesto, it is not incorrect to say she is one of the leading figures of a hate movement. I can't imagine squaring buying any Harry Potter media with knowing that. Not just because of who profitss just knowing that the work is built on the back of something so vile.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not at all, I already wasn't interested in the Harry Potter universe, so it just kept being a very easy skip.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've got zero interest in anything Potter-related anymore largely because of Rowling. If I want students of a magic academy doing magic adventure things, there's Little Witch Academia.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
No. She's been (openly) awful for a little while, so I'm not surprised by it. Also my attachment (I use that term loosely) is based on the imagery of the films, not the books.

But I would totally understand if people refrained from all things HP because of her remarks.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
I'm 100% certain that there are people working on video games that have viewpoints that might not align with mine, and that fact has a next to 0% impact on my desire to play games.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not.
If the game is what it seems like, it's a dream game for me, huge HP fan.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you, but she already won the HP lottery. She's one of the richest people in the world.

And her book sales are evergreen at this point.

This isn't some influencer on the come up. She came up lol.
I've mentioned Amazon above.

Do you believe we should just keep making Bezos rich because he's already rich anyway?

I get where you're coming from, but it's a cynical viewpoint to just say well, it's beyond redemption anyway.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
not particularly. lots of people are involved with making a game. chances are most of them have shitty opinions as well even if theyre not the face of the franchise

wasn't interested in the game in the first place thou

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Would never have been interested in the first place since HP does nothing for me, but was this game ever even confirmed? I know my SO would feel super conflicted about this if it's real as she's a big HP and RPG fan, but has been disenchanted with Rowling's transphobia.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, TERF Queen's repeated poisoning of the well has made it difficult to be excited for anything Harry Potter-related, personally.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I am interested but I plan on getting a used copy, but only if it ends up being good

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

But yeah, I expect the usual "separate the art from the artist", "but what about the 4 year olds who made the device you're posting from", etc.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The best thing that came out of Harry Potter was Yudkowsky's HPMOR.
That "book" alone is what's making me hyped for this game, it's my new headcanon.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I usually separate the artist from the art. JK is her own thing while HP is another.
I know, not a popular way of thinking.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Significantly diminished my interest. Yes supporting devs is good, but you and I have limited resources and there are plenty of devs who need your support, so why don't we spend our limited resources on games that won't financially benefit someone who is so publicly transphobic.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Her recent statements? No. This is like the 15th time she's done this in the last 5 years. Been done with her properties for a while now.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I refuse to let her profit from the money she'd receive from this game

See this is where the problem lies. I doubt she gets a royalty per game sold, she more than likely got paid when they licensed the property FOR the game. So she has probably already profited from it as much as she is going to. Who knows maybe she has some sort of weird royalty per game sale, but I doubt it.

Part of me wants to refuse to buy anything with Harry Potter on it ever again because JK is a piece of shit.

Part of me hates to punish an entire game studio full of real people that have nothing to do with the stupid shit JK says.

It's a morale conundrum. How many people is it ok to punish for one person's actions.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'd like to imagine all the people who "must" support the developers despite the creator would say if JK Rowling held the view that, say, black people shouldn't exist, rather than hold the actual view of "trans women aren't women" that you all seem to be cool about supporting financially.

Everyone pretending that JK Rowling is "suddenly" transphobic and that WB wasn't making a decision to support a transphobic person based on public knowledge years ago are doing a great job of supporting pride month.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
First time I hear about said game and my interest in the Harry Potter universe is almost non-existent. It's an RPG so I'm probably have an eye on it, but I can't say that I'll spend any money on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No, but my interest in the game wasn't high to begin with. I mean if the game ends up being good, I will probably get it regardless of what fuckface Rowling has said and done, but I would wait for a used copy if anything.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I'd still want to support a game that's good despite her being so shitty. But also think if we were to cut out every
Nah. I won't stop enjoying something because of someone else.
I feel like this as well. I think if we were to cut out everything that someone who was a shitty person with shitty views had a part in we would be left with very little enjoyment in life.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've mentioned Amazon above.

Do you believe we should just keep making Bezos rich because he's already rich anyway?

I get where you're coming from, but it's a cynical viewpoint to just say well, it's beyond redemption anyway.
No, you make a good point. No problems with anyone skipping the Harry Potter IP for what she's said. But I find the hurt her in the wallet angle poor. She's not getting hurt in that fashion at all lol. HP is mega huge. Not just gaming, but movies, theme park rides, merch, books obviously.

Boycotts for awareness and censure of her stances make more sense.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Violet Wren

Oct 25, 2017
As a recently out transwoman myself, I hereby state my public denouncement of JK Rowling, and the entire Harry Potter Universe. This woman's works shaped my entire childhood but I will burn every bridge on my way through this journey. This game was my dream project years ago, but I simply cannot financially support someone who would have me classified as a man acting as a woman to infiltrate washrooms for nefarious purposes. Fuck TERFS.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If she was on the dev team it would be different, but she will have next to nothing to do with the actual development of this game so it wouldn't really affect my feelings on it.

I also doubt she will make a significant amount of money off this game especially relative to her already immeasurable wealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.