• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The trailer was great, it's been received very well, the word of mouth is pretty genuine around the brand. There's a lot of great, high caliber talent on the film, and TPCi themselves are heavily involved with the movie, and they are famously anally sticklers about how their characters get portrayed in anything.

Given all of this, do we think Detective Pikachu might be the first "great" video game movie? Or do we foresee it being another addition to the ever growing pile of horrible video game adaptations?

EDIT: Looks like I need to watch Mortal Kombat lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say. It does look very promising but a lot of people thought Warcraft was a slam dunk given Duncan Jones' previous work. At the very least the premise alone should put it near the top of the pile.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be considered a good movie in the end. I am still very curious how the Super Mario movie is going to turn out.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i really disliked the trailer tbh, the pokemon look nowhere near how i imagined and terrifyingly so. also my friend reacted the same way so i was kind of shocked when everyone loved it.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The real question is are we getting the first good video game movie before the first good Phantom Thief thread?!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

Geoff from Mother's Basement sure thinks so and I'm inclined to agree, especially when he says that the movie being a side-story in its own universe allows for a more focused story.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It might become the best one, yeah. It helps that the game it's based on is already far more like a movie than most video game adaptations.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty average to me. Which might be great by game movie standards, but it won't be an exceptionally good movie imo.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be the first great video game "family film"... with broad humor and mass appeal.

I personally don't expect it to be a "great" film by my personal metric, but we'll see.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
We already had a great Video Game movie. It was called Mortal Kombat. (Fite me)
Ya everyone loved it at the time then when Nostalgia Critic reviewed it it seemed that people loved making fun of it and now everyone is back to loving it again.

I LOVE this movie :D

To the OP though, I think it has a very good chance of being Good 7/10 good.
It could be the first Great Pokemon movie though (Fight me)

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP forgot about Mortal Kombat. God it's such a guilty pleasure that film

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll echo the sentiment on Mortal Kombat. Shit set my world on fire as a child.

I really hope Detective Pikachu is good, it looks fun and the effects look good and no calf muscles in sight. Despite being cautious about Reynolds I liked Justice Smith in The Get Down, even though apparently nobody watched it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like I need to watch the first Mortal Kombat movie. Never actually went anywhere near it lol.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Loved Mortal Kombat back in the day. I have high hopes for detective Pikachu though, I do think it will be a hit.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clickbaity title.
In your post you ask if it will be the first great pokemon movie lol
And no. The first pokemon movie legit made me cry.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand people's thoughts on this movie apparently. I don't think it looks terrible, but it looks incredibly average to me. Which the best video games movies are around average, so who knows? But it's not like being average is some crowning achievement to strive for.

Anyways, on the topic of video game films, there's some surprisingly decent ones if you dig. I'm partial to Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (the first CP film was bad, the second one was better) and the Fatal Frame movie myself (the FF movie has almost nothing to do with the games, but a pretty decent atmospheric Japanese horror film in its own right). I also think the second live-action Resident Evil movie, "Resident Evil Damnation", is entertaining enough if you like the games.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm a terrible barometer for video game movie opinions (Super Mario Bros. is one of my fav movies EVER) but it looks like Legendary and Warner are being really careful with Detective Pikachu. Making sure it's true to the nature of the Pokemon universe. All the environmental shots scream World Obsessed with Pokemon just like in the anime and games.

Also, Pikachu doesn't have human legs. So that's a blessing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Man, I hope so. I like Ryan Reynolds a lot and the trailer made it look like a fun watch.

Silent Hill has been the best one so far, and even then...it wasn't that good.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Yes, it does, and it's a fine example of a poor to middling horror movie with slightly dodgy CG.
I consider it one of the most faithful, Gans is a huge fan of the games and nailed the atmosphere. Everything wrong about it can be chalked up to studio meddling, such as the flashback and the opening.

Everything else is flawless, and it arguably has the best ending of any video game movie ever.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has the potential to be funny and entertaining

There will never be a good serious VG movie in my mind and thats ok

If they stick to light hearted and self aware comedy I am cool with it. Pretty much any VG movie that took this approach have been the ones to be viewed as successful

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks awful. The premise is hard to get past, honestly. SH will remain the best of a bad bunch for the foreseeable future.

The real question is are we getting the first good video game movie before the first good Phantom Thief thread?!
Brutal!

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it'll be a mainstream hit.

Movies like the Gyakuten Saiban one exists, but Detective Pikachu will be the first one well-received critically, and by people at large.

I also think the Mario could be another well-received film if they are curating it enough, but we'll see.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the most promising one I've seen from trailers. Which was shocking, since I expected to be disgusted in the same manner that I currently feel about the Sonic movie.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy people brought up Silent Hill. Great, faithful movie that is very underrated.