• yes

Votes: 114 28.8%
  • no

Votes: 305 77.0%

• Total voters

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy I'm too old for this shit. If I weren't though, I wouldn't be sending unsolicited dick pics -- wtf is wrong w/ people. This shouldn't be controversial

e: The example text itself is of course not something anyone would say. Just wait for someone to tell you they want it, geeze

Last edited:

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I don't go in cold, it's usually comes up organically, but I certain don't go;
*record scratch* I've had a sexual thought about you, do you mind if I tell you.
I'm not a serial killer.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I mean if you're already in an intimate relationship with someone, this to me is incredibly weird. There is nuance here, it doesn't have to be so formal like in that text. You start with feeling out the mood and then go from there, which any functioning human can do, especially if it's with their own partner.

That text to me would make me laugh and put me off immediately. It's borderline creepy. But then again I don't understand why my partner would even send it in the first place.
Yeah, if you're in like a relationship and those are the boundaries you're healthy with I think it's fine, I just don't think there would be any objective harm in asking. I don't really "sext" with my wife much but one of the few times I did, her coworkers ended up seeing it because she opened the text when they were around and watching something on her phone, so after that I've just asked to make sure, so there's one area it can have a benefit. I don't think most women are going to think any worse of a guy for just asking, and some of them might really appreciate it!

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some Hannibal Lecter shit, gotta be a troll.

Of course sending an unsolicited dick pic is not okay, but if someone sent me that text I'd say "oh hell no, time to bail."

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Yeah, if you're in like a relationship and those are the boundaries you're healthy with I think it's fine, I just don't think there would be any objective harm in asking. I don't really "sext" with my wife much but one of the few times I did, her coworkers ended up seeing it because she opened the text when they were around and watching something on her phone, so after that I've just asked to make sure, so there's one area it can have a benefit. I don't think most women are going to think any worse of a guy for just asking, and some of them might really appreciate it!
I think everyone does ask for consent but in a more nuanced and human way. The text presented ITT is just ridiculous and I honestly believe more women would be weirded out by it than receptive of it. I showed this to my partner and she said "the fuck is this?". Yeah, total mood killer

We usually start with a wink emoji or "i'm thinking about you" or some shit. Consent is already implied, don't have to make it sound like it's an AI.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
it makes me so sad that people see consent as "cringy"
Yeah, it's consent people find cringy and not the message that sounds like an emotionless machine sent it.

This, the "are you in the right headspace" and the "I'm at the the emotional capacity" things are SO fucking weird. Copy and pasting human interaction is most definitely cringy, especially when it feels like it was written by 100 cooperating PR firms.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
If I sent that particular script to someone, I don't think any sexting would occur.

In general I only sext with people I'm in an intimate relationship with, and as long as you understand each others boundaries, that sort of thing isn't necessary.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that template is pretty much as creepy as dropping with heavy sexual innuendo anyway.
Yeah, I'm confused. That text in and of itself comes off sexual in nature. If the person would be creeped out by you randomly sexting, they're gonna be creeped out by that text.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
So many people voted no. So Era has lot of creepy people sending random dick pics

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I've never actually sexted with anyone. I'd feel way too awkward typing that shit out. I have sent a dick pic though, it was requested.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018
If it wasn't clear, the original sexting tweet is a take on the headspace meme parodying this tweet that went around Holiday weekend:

The problem is that unlike the meme, the sexting tweet is 100% unironic.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, she better sext me first. And even then, I'll probably just tell her nah lol she can see in person

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to 2020, meatbags.

x1aVWop.png

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No? You can find a girl that likes a guy wearing jorts and crocs, but it does not mean it isn't cringy.
Well idk, I would def like to see evidence most women would find a dude throwing out a quick consent ask to be cringy. To me it seems more like something men would internalize as cringy based on toxic masculinity/traditional gender roles. I'm sure you could find women on the right who think they should stay home and cook and clean, but most women obviously would think they were nuts.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
"Have you heard the good news about Sexting?"

Edit- on topic though.

Just start with friendly flirting...then work your way in if you get a similar vibe.

BUT if you were grinding at the club...or making out hard at a lounge...and teasing each other... well, you can skip a few steps if you get the feeling.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well idk, I would def like to see evidence most women would find a dude throwing out a quick consent ask to be cringy. To me it seems more like something men would internalize as cringy based on toxic masculinity/traditional gender roles. I'm sure you could find women on the right who think they should stay home and cook and clean, but most women obviously would think they were nuts.

OP quote isn't a "quick consent ask". It's what an AI trying to pass the turing test sounds like.

It's this in text form

EqJX.gif

Multiple people in this thread already said that consent isn't the problem, the delivery in OP's image is.

Last edited:

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I'm in the gay bear community. Pics are like oxygen. So no.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Oh my god that's some of the most hilarious/cringe shit I've ever seen in my life. No one talks like that, and if you do, you have significant social skill deficits.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to 2020, meatbags.

x1aVWop.png
Holy shit, fucking lost it.

I saw the "right headspace" thread the other day, and honestly, I'd feel like I have an unhealthy friendship with someone if they have to resort asking stuff that way. Like, just go ahead and say "had a shit day, you got a minute? feel like venting".
Otherwise I'd reply: "I'm not fucking Siri, who the hell is this? Return the goddamn phone you psycho".

Then again, I don't really have any friends to begin with, but if that's how "HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS IN 2020" are, I guess I'm okay being a pitiful loner.

Short version: Making templates for communicating with your supposedly friends / significant others is weird, and I'd definitely feel uncomfortable being treated that way. Instead of thinking you're being considerate before throwing some hard stuff at me, I'd feel like you don't trust me or have a good friendship to begin with.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's been five minutes since I sent the OP template text out and I haven't gotten a response yet.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
OP quote isn't a "quick consent ask". It's what an AI trying to pass the turing test sounds like.

It's this in text form

EqJX.gif

Multiple people in this thread already said that consent isn't the problem, the delivery in OP's image is.
I was speaking more toward the question posed by the thread title and poll than that specific example, I wouldn't word it that way either personally but social interactions are tough for some people and I wouldn't really want to judge.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I feel like the couple times it was initiated in my texts, it kind of organically happened. For example, here's one of the times someone initiated it with me, several years ago (paraphrased to protect the innocent);

Her:
Core i5, GTX 970, 8 GB ram. I can look up the rest of the hardware when I'm not naked in the shower lol

Me:
I kinda want to say "nice", but really I'm scared for your phone lol, I hope you're texting with one of those waterproof ones

Her:
I'm good at showering while keeping everything else dry in the shower. It's too bad, I had the perfect setup for "pics or it didn't happen" :p

Me:
Aww, too bad I missed that opportunity

Her:
*Sends semi-innocent shower pic*
Scandalous!

Me:
Oh, the shower's steam makes it look mysterious! I was actually gonna ask if you've sent steamy pics to people before

Her:
Yeah, definitely. I love the way I look when I'm toweling off
*Sends semi-innocent after shower picture*

Etc... Etc...

In all honesty, I'm not one to send pics like that to people over text, so I did feel a bit weird about it. Though I felt that she initiated it in a way that I personally felt was organic and not robotic, and didn't totally catch me off guard.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
if my girlfriend ever tried to ask to sext me in that specific manner, i would be genuinely worried for her health and safety