Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Maybe this has already been discussed at lenght time and time again, but I think about it more and more now when this generation is coming to an end.

I've been playing video games since the Master System and NES era. Nowadays I don't sell games anymore, I just buy because I want them in my collection. It's a nice feeling to see the number of games for a console grow one by one. I do know that this era is likely coming to an end, though. Sooner or later. Just as streaming have pretty much killed peoples' interest in CD's and DVD's, it will affect the video game industry as well. Microsoft and now Google are pushing hard toward all-digital, and even though the next Xbox will probably have a disc drive, the rumoured Xbox One S All-Digital Edition shows us where Microsoft really want to go. What is probably just around the corner because most customers will welcome the idea.

Recently I bought a Wii U (talk about being late, I know) and while the system has tons of issues, it has a pretty cool retro feeling to it. I've tried 15 games during a week or so and it's been a nostalgic experience to just replace one game after the other without having to sit through huge updates. I fear that this is a part of the industry that will never come back, maybe except for how handhelds will still work for yet some time.

Digital has lots of advantages, and I like Game Pass as a supplement. I have to admit that I too buy less DVD's and Blu-rays nowadays when Netflix and other services are around. But there's a lot not offered on Netflix and HBO. There are tons of documentaries and smaller movies that will never show up there. Will those even be accessable in the future? And when Stadia, XCloud, Game Pass, PS Now and games for download is all we got, how will that affect what games we can play? Will it make the industry more diverse? Should we just accept that in less than ten years time, we can't buy games in a store anymore?

Do you have similiar concerns? Are you at all emotional about your physical video game collection and fear how it will be in the future when you can't expand it anymore? Or am I just getting old and grumpy here?

Last edited:

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
TBH, I pretty much left the physical games world behind once I moved from PS3 to Steam. So many other facets of my media exists digitally--I'd sold my CD collection/bluray collection--so it wasn't a great leap to take in terms of mentality.

I have actually started buying physical games again, where it isn't a massively online or local co-op game, for Switch. Purely to help with storage and to share the game around the family. I'm happy with both options being a thing.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I won't buy AAA games day 1 anymore but that's fine. Indies and older games on sale are okay.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it means less agency and ownership of the things you buy.

Pubs would have the ability and worse the right to revoke what you have paid for at a moment's provocation.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Nah I buy almost exclusively digital anyway. The convenience can't be beat and the sale prices are nice enough.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
No. I don't have space for discs anymore and digital is simply more convenient. The only real downside is the fact that I can't resell digital copies of games once I'm done with them.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Digital future is inevitable and it is what it is. At least there will be people out there doing what they can to rip those games to preserve them one way or another. Streaming only with no local option is my main concern.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I embraced it after realising I couldn't hoard more space for games in my house and I got rid of all of them except a very tiny selecting of classics that I have emotional attachments with.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Yes, for months now I spend all day in a dark room crying over the fact I might not be able to have DVD case on my walls anymore. I was just getting to the point where I could pretend I actually lived in a GAMESTOP there are so many on the walls. I don't actually ever play any of them I just like to know they are there on the off chance I might someday want to play a 16 year old PS2 game.

In all seriousness no I don't care.

Jan 9, 2018
I dont like digital because of pricing structure.
With no physical copies theres no competition for pricing they can make games 99.99 if they wanted to and we either buy it or we dont.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't fear it at all, Steam has opened my mind to a digital future. I will buy physical games for as long as they are available but I won't stop gaming once thay are gone.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don' fear it but it doesn't mean I have to love it either. I still prefer physical media, something I really own and can still play locally on my hardware, no matter what.

Although even physical isn't a guarantee of that now, with many games needing massive downloads to patch games ect.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
100% digital for several years, 0% regret. I think it's more accurate to say that the market wants a digital only console, the fact that digital grows 6 to 8% every year shows that.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's the future, no point in fighting it. Don't have to get fully on board immediately, but you will have to get on board eventually (if you want to play new games).

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yes, both all digital and all streaming

Uk internet is dogshit, and once i finish a game i love trading it it, espcially nintendo games. Can buy a nintendo game for like ÂŁ40 and get ÂŁ30 back from game.

Download speeds are awful. Sales are good though i will admit

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Right now I resell almost every game I buy, so if physical media is just 100% gone one day I'll have to think really hard about what I want to do. Paying $60 for every game day one with no opportunity to recoup any costs is an expense I just can't justify. I'd probably have to switch to PC gaming full time and only buy games months after release on Steam sales and other deep discounts.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Unless platform holders improve their digital content management, I'm out.

Plenty of old games to play from my backlog for life.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of the appeal of physical has already been killed off, most discs either don't have all the content on it, or are missing critical day 1 patches.

I can't just pull out a physical single player PS4 game 20 years from now and expect anything close to the full/polished experienced, i have to hope that the servers are still up and hope that i can download the patch.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I definitely worry about it from a preservation side of things. We've seen time and time again that Pubs/Devs can be pretty bad with that stuff. Whether it's losing code, not having a new port, or lack of BC.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
On consoles, yes. Their stores and game/download management suck, accessibility is dodgy, and there's barely any effort for back compat outside of Xbox. On PC, no. That stuff has been mostly figured out already.

Also, game streaming, while cool, has me a little concerned. Mainly in terms of accessibility.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It depends.

There are currently four digital models, with a fifth to come.

You have the PC models, with both classic DRM releases and the 'GOG' model, which are DRM free releases with fixes for modern systems. No one has anything to fearwith the GOG model. The classic DRM releases is the were some games get lost. There are ways around this and installation files are easily backed up.

Then, the console model. When licenses expire or hardware gives out or when a new generation appears, good luck. Microsoft is trying to get closer to the PC model with the xbox BC but its very incomplete. Sony and Nintendo are busy making "XXX classic" plastic toys and sequestering older releases in a vault.

The next model is streaming. This will be like Netflix, play it while its still available and if it gets removed, hope it comes back. No ownership, no control, best of luck.

Subscription models are basically Netflix with the option to download locally. (So, Netflix).

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I may avoid the next generation of consoles because of digital. Recently, ive been buying a lot more classic stuff to supplement modern games and I can see that flipping

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
As long as retail doesn't die...
I buy 90% retail, or even pass on a game if it's digital only.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't really fear a digital-only future. I think a digital-only future is a good thing. The digital-only future isn't a problem, I don't think, it's the risks themselves that are not being addressed.

There is a systemic carelessness surrounding a digital-only future that is rapidly erasing the history of the medium with no regard for history or intrinsic creative value. There are other problems as well like discontinued access of licensed games and multiplayer games becoming unplayable without the substitution of privately-hosted servers. But these problems aren't consequences of a digital-only future. They are shortcomings of the industry as a whole that need to either be addressed by consumers or somehow held accountable by regulation. These things worry me a lot. But I don't think digital-only is the culprit.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Kinda. I don't really like digital. Less ownership, worse pricing. Getting up to change a disc isn't inconvenient, so that part doesn't matter to me. And I don't believe discs are clutter.

All that said, most games just aren't interesting me anymore. So I'll probably start getting rid of stuff and just hold onto to retro things. I could get behind buying digital games. But streaming is a completely egregious approach. I will never be behind a streaming-only future.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current situation seems fine to me. You can get content via subscriptions such as Netflix, Game Pass, Spotify, but nothing stops you from buying the original content on discs, MP3, CD, Blu-Ray and whatnot. It'll only get "scary" when and if nothing is owned and everything's leased. But given how far certain countries need to go in order for something like this to be viable, I'm not sure I'll see this in my life, and I'm 28.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Fuck a digital only future. If that's how games go, I'm out. Again, and I will repeat, you are paying for a license to access a game as long as a company tells you can and may at any point in time revoke access to it. You could get home one day 10 years from now, want to download a game but Papa Sony has said nah, fuck that game and don't provide a download to it any longer, or, because it's connected to the internet, they've decided to pull it flat out. You never know and I don't trust no one.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I love it, because I have never leave the house to buy game :P Also less environmental waste.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Why not make this a poll?

I don't fear it but I don't like it. Not impressed with the various delistings.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I fear for this humble little past time of ours. Physical media is still needed for care packages for troops (and similar ones for seamen in the merchant marine).

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I do, I really don't want publishers to get even more power and control. And (and this is personal) it takes away a part of my hobby: the physical collecting side of things.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I fear nothing.

Except moths.

Almost all of my games are digital now I rarely game on my ps4. PC is 100% digital now for me.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't really fear a digital-only future. I think a digital-only future is a good thing. The digital-only future isn't a problem, I don't think, it's the risks themselves that are not being addressed.

There is a systemic carelessness surrounding a digital-only future that is rapidly erasing the history of the medium with no regard for history or intrinsic creative value. There are other problems as well like discontinued access of licensed games and multiplayer games becoming unplayable without the substitution of privately-hosted servers. But these problems aren't consequences of a digital-only future. They are shortcomings of the industry as a whole that need to either be addressed by consumers or somehow held accountable by regulation. These things worry me a lot. But I don't think digital-only is the culprit.

I'm convinced that video game preservation is only a concern of the hardcore gamers and there is nothing that we can do to convince video game companies to care about it. Once the money dries up/licenses expire cut costs and move on. Its corporate art at its core, especially games from AAA publishers. Microsoft doesn't consider Jet Set Radio Future to be a piece of art worthy of a museum, even if some of us do. Plus there is no financial incentive to save shit. Endless payment is the smart move for them. Regulation will never help us. Its their product to sell, discontinue, destroy, alter, you name it.

Gamers who care just have to save as much as they can when they can. Things will be lost. Things have been lost.

Support DRM free when you can.

Yes. I fear for this humble little past time of ours. Physical media is still needed for care packages for troops (and similar ones for seamen in the merchant marine).

This and libraries. Laugh it up Era but I still go to the library and you've better believe I rent PS3 and PS4 games while I'm there.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, I've embraced the digital distribution future with open arms. It's the streaming future that terrifies me.