Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yes a bit. Games becoming unavailable due to license bullshit and losing control over them is what worries me the most. I love modding, only reason I have a console is for exclusives and to play games with friends.

All streaming future is when I start to find a new hobby or exclusively play MMOs I should think.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
No fear and welcoming arms. If anything I wish companies that put out LEs for games would sell them with digital codes and the physical goods, because I actually prefer to not have discs these days.

Yet, I continue to buy physical Switch games when I know the game is large because microSD cards can only get so big.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Totally fine with it coexisting with physical Media. The issue I have is the potential threat of it phasing out physical media. As someone who loves the physical experience of games I still want to buy physical media.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
No, fear isn't the right word. It's more of a sadness. I love my physical editions and I love going back through my old games over the years and replaying things.

It's like having a book shelf - each game spine is a trip back in time, where I was at a certain time in my life when the game came out, my memories playing it, all that stuff.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
If I can continue to game share my library with a secondary Xbox/PS and split games $30 with my friend I'll continue to buy digital. I do get people's reasons to avoid digital games though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No, fear isn't the right word. It's more of a sadness. I love my physical editions and I love going back through my old games over the years and replaying things.

It's like having a book shelf - each game spine is a trip back in time, where I was at a certain time in my life when the game came out, my memories playing it, all that stuff.
I love hangin out in my game room for this reason. Every physical game takes me back to the time I've played it. Just taking an old Master System game off the shelf and browsing the manual or looking at maps is such a cool thing. It's the simple things that make all the difference to me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I only fear it when it becomes the only option. Although I am more and more going to digital only, I like that a physical option is there. Same with DVDs/Blu-Rays.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The game industry sucks about preservation. Music and film are much better at it imo.

If it's all digital and streaming it will be even more difficult to preserve games.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Yeah, partly because of the job security i'd lose and partly because I genuinely like having a physical collection of games. That said, I do appreciate the convenience of digital.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
No fear. I'm past the point in my life where I want to own physical copies of movies or games, comics or books. Basically anything that takes up more space in my house than what is necessary.
I'm actually struggling at the moment with deciding what to do with all of my old games going back to the NES.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
not really-- it's getting more annoying to have to get up off the couch to switch games in my ps4.

we just need console gaming to be more like pc where newer systems can play older games (i wish i could still play my copy of tokyo jungle, but can't since i sold my ps3)

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. TV is my primary hobby so I can and will drop gaming at any time, which is exactly what I'll do if an all-digital future comes to pass.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'd be okay if all games went via digital downloads. I'd rather have the physical disc, but as long as I get to purchase my game and download it, plus be able to play offline, then I can live with it.

What I'm not cool with would be a future where the only option is streaming.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No because I realized I play most games only once. There's only half a dozen games I replay.

For me games are now $ for hours of entertainment, like a movie. If they disappear in 10+ years it's not good but I probably won't care.

The main issue is with game conservation

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Because the way rights work. I can see games being removed from libraries if you don't have it downloaded and saved

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
*shrugs*
Not really an issue as long as I can play the games without any issues like lag or removing it from being downloaded ever again like PT.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's been the digital present for a like a decade on PC side already, and it's a marked improvement.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I like to own the things I buy, thanks.

I just hope the demand for physical games keeps them there. Even DVDs continue to be manufactured despite Blu-Ray/Ultra HD discs, and Vinyl records made a comeback and carved a niche in the market despite digital downloads and streaming.

I could probably play something like RE2make without its patches if necessary, but I do like that publishers release GOTY editions with all content.
You can. I did it with 0 issues.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm running out of space for physical copies so I think I'm cool with it. But yeah it just sucks not being able to sell digital copies and there's that reduced feeling of ownership when you don't have a physical copy. You also can't go over to a friend's house or something and play a game without taking your entire PS4 if you only have it digitally.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yes, but I work against it by supporting physical releases for all media. I'm only digital only on music. I still buy Blu-Rays and refuse to stream or buy movies digitally. I will not allow the hit in quality that comes from streaming a movie. As for games, digital games on console are anti-consumer and I won't support it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
You already live in a all or mostly digital future. How many games today play without some kind of download? Not many I can think of. The physical disc seems to make people sleep better at night but it's a fraud. Might as well gain the benefits of digital if you have to deal with the downsides of it even when you have a disc.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fear digital what really creeps me out it's the payment methods these corporations are gonna use. Montly payments, pay per hour, pay per level or chapter, etc.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I've been "invested" in Steam since 2004 and even when some weird shit goes down like games getting removed, you still keep them in your library if you had bought them. And if you didn't... well I have a hard time believing you really care that much about a game you declined to purchase for 5 years.

Scenarios where the whole online infrastructure crumbles are basically imaginary, if we're being honest. And like, at that point, we'd be fucked in ways that are far worse than just not being able to play our videogames. Valve will not close overnight, either. I feel like my purchases are safe for the conceivable future, certainly for as long as a physical copy would last in my hands.

I feel less secure on console, even though I do buy digital games there. I really hope that whatever form PS5 takes, it offers backward comparability because I do think it's unfair to expect us to buy into an online system that is limited to hardware that won't be manufactured indefinitely.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Owning a Switch, the majority of my games have been digital. It's nice to take something like that with you, having all your games at your finger tips. It's not as practical on PS4 or Xbox but I'm also not worried about games going completely digital is going to ruin gaming, especially since digital distribution has helped gaming in a number of ways.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Not anymore. I've mostly been buying games digital on Xbox and PS4 anyways. Switch has been a mixed bag. Multiplayer games I just download for the ease of access. Digital only also prevents me from impulsive regrettable trade ins so I'm fine with it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Ive been deep into PC gaming for a while. A Digital future doesn't really bother me even though I really like having physical copies.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Not against digital, I am against an all digital future where we lose ownership of our games and they can be taken away in an instant.

Zoroaster

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I'm all digital on PC, but i'm skeptical on all digital on consoles i mean Nintendo have closed down wii u store and also you had to rebuy virtual console games you bought on wii for wii u.

I will never go digital on consoles unless they are backwards compatible and use the same storefront for all future iterations.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Are houses getting smaller lately? Since when do houses not have enough space for physical games?

I live in a smal apartment and still have plenty of space left to storage video games.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Are houses getting smaller lately? Since when do houses not have enough space for physical games?

I live in a smal apartment and still have plenty of space left to storage video games.
Beats me. Judging from some comments you would think people live on a cardboard box.