• $299

Votes: 37 3.2%
  • I never buy consoles at launch

Votes: 124 10.8%

• Total voters

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
399 for me. If I'm able to spread the cost and get a membership discount or something that would be the easiest way for me to join in I think otherwise I'll just wait for the content / must haves to accumulate

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
At this point in my life and career I can afford pretty much anything a mass market game console might cost at launch, but $500-600 is my own personal limit.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No limit per se, but I really don't buy systems at launch and prefer to wait for a price drop or model refresh which normally aligns with my real main rule for whether I'll get a system or not.

Which is a system needs to have ~5 must have titles on it for me to purchase it. With only very few exceptions.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Not really.

I bought a launch PS3 Fat for $599. It's still in my entertainment center, works fine.

Over a seven-year generation $600 is a relatively trivial expense. Unless something goes really off the rails I'm going to buy two generation 9 consoles come this November.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
The hardware & games have to be worth it (in my mind) so the soft cap is probably $499 and the hard cap would be $599 since I once bought a launch PS3.

I'm not sure I could be convinced to pay $599 at launch or be able to justify it to myself regardless of the ability to afford it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I tell myself $500, but honestly, if PS5 was $600..... I'd probably look into selling some stuff and still get it, LOL.

Oct 31, 2017
$499 is my barrier. I bought the PS3 for $599 back in the day but I'm not doing that again. Any higher than $499 and I'd rather upgrade my PC with the money.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Five hundred ninety nine US dollars. I bought the PS3 at launch. I don't necessarily regret it, but I am never dropping that kind of dough on a console ever again.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to pay upto £1000 for a device I'll keep for 7 yrs

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Yes but I'm willing to fudge it if the console is compelling enough. $599 is extreme and I probably wouldn't pay that without an extremely compelling reason and higher is outright ridiculous.

Last edited:

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see the list of launch titles. I did buy a $599 US dollars PS3 at launch that still works, but that is my absolute max. I'm less caught up in the hype this time since I'm older and I haven't seen any games yet.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no kids and a good job, as does my wife, and even I wouldn't pay more than $499 except for in the case that a) I could reasonably ascertain that I could count on the console getting a 7+ year life cycle and b) it wasn't more than $549.

However, at $499 or less, I'm definitely in at launch just because I got a PS4 at launch and a Switch two months past launch, and I enjoyed having them early and getting the most fun out of the console that I can. I like being in at launch and feeling like I'm putting down the cash to have 5+ years of new games on the console.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
No max. I only game on console and so long as there are games for them then I will buy all of them. Shit could be $1,000 and I would still buy one.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It just depends on if the spec matches the cost, up to $1000, I guess I'd say is my ceiling. Feeling pretty great about the Xbox Series X, especially at a speculated $599. But I know most people don't actually care about spec/performance, it's just a game console.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I said 599 but that'd be Canadian $

I spent a bit more than that for a launch PS3. Who am I kidding, I'd go $499 USD for sure.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
$499 & full back compatibility makes it a launch window purchase i dont have to think about too much.
any higher and i'd wait a while. would need some fucking serious exclusive to convince me to drop $600.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Not really, as long as there is good value in what I'm getting. Barring a huge misstep, I will be there for PS5 at launch and possibly Series X (although One X seems decently future proof for a bit). A lack of games/exclusives would deter from a high price, but something like robust BC (enhanced titles) would really help justify costs.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't want to pay $500, but it seems inevitable this time around. That's where I draw the line. I'm cool with waiting for a price reduction if it's above it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
£500 would be a limit for me at lunch,but I don't buy then anyway.I usually give it a few months to see if any hardware issues present themselves.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
No realistic limit.

When I look at dollar-per-hour of enjoyment, no other hobby delivers for me like gaming. The initial cost of the hardware is not important.

I would even pay a premium for a White console at launch!

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Naw, I do it so infrequently and don't build PC's anymore that I'll pay whatever it is. Still cheaper than shelling out $500 every couple years for upgrades. Also not collecting sneakers anymore, which was WAY more expensive of a hobby, lmao. Might double dip on both Series X and PS4 depending what Sony brings to the table.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
$399 is my absolute limit. If it's higher than that, I'll just wait.

Same with GPUs. I'll wait until there's something in that price range that blows my current GPU out of the water. My RX 480 is still doing the work. I'll likely upgrade next year depending on what comes out.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. An exclusive game I want to play.

Why get a console if it has nothing I wanna play on? I have a beefy PC for everything else.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No

giphy.gif

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I personally won't go over $400, I just can't afford to buy something more expensive all at once.
I feel like I don't really need any system day 1 anyway, so I don't mind waiting a bit

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
It's funny how this has changed over the years for me. My answer even maybe a few months ago would have probably been 'There is no price point, sky is the limit' but as my priorities in life shift and I've found ways to save money in life and still get enjoyment out of entertainment that feels endless, my answer has now become 'I never buy consoles at launch'.

It doesn't make sense for me especially when there are great bundles that come packed with award winning games a mere ~6 months to a year after launch and so many fantastic titles make their way to PC.

There are of course caveats, like if an IP I am in love with was a launch title. If Sega came out and announced Jet Set Radio Future Remaster or a new Jet Set for example? Day One for me.

EDIT: I do sometimes fall victim to the 'hype' though and get caught up in that storm of fury. Been trying to weather it as of late though hahah.

Oct 27, 2017
I've paid over 3k for a pc. I paid 599 on ps3 launch date. 499 on Xbox One launch date. Thankfully I can afford it so it is what it is. Cost of my hobby.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My console purchases always cost me nothing thanks to credit card reward points but I'd probably take a hard gulp at 699 and consider just upgrading my PC at that price.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
$599 is probably the highest I would go for a console, but ultimately it really comes down to whether the value is there, on a case-by-case basis. Vanilla Xbox One is a good example, where it was $100 more than the PS4 but for me personally it offered less value. I could have afforded one at launch, but I ended up waiting for a significant price drop because I couldn't justify paying that price.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Anything above 599 and I'll have to pass on the PS5 for a minute.

Unless they do something crazy like full disc based backwards compatibility with all playstations and implement the whole emulation thing where it makes the games look + play way better. If they do that I'll bite on anything less than a grand.

Turbowolf

Nov 2, 2018
I never used to have one. But life has caught up to me, and I have less and less time for gaming these days. So I really don't see myself buying a Series X or PS5 until the first or second price drops.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If there is a 2TB SKU at around £500 ($600) I'd get that otherwise I estimate 1TB at £450 and would be happy with that.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I never buy at launch. The more advanced these boxes get the more time I'll let the gremlins manifest themselves in news articles and forum rants. I can wait.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Id be willing to pay more if the speccs would justify it, but I cant imagine either of them going past 599. My guess is 499 for both PS5 and Series X.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Cost isn't really a limit for me, but I'd appreciate them going for competitive prices.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Probably $500, unless the hardware and games are on some next-level shit. I'll buy anything Nintendo puts out day 1 though

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yup. I paid about that, this summer, for a decently powered laptop, that is going to be nowhere NEAR as powerful as the Series X or PS5. I'm fully expecting to pay somewhere between $600-$800 for a next gen system, but if it lasts me 6-8 years, I really don't mind the $100/year, or $8/month.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I picked $599, but I'd pay more if I wanted it enough, knowing that it'd be years before the price drops anyway.

I know that for many $399 is the magic number, but for me an extra $100-200 doesn't matter much when you consider that a console generation will last 8 years or so, and it's like one or two extra day's worth of work on a paycheck really.

I'd rather pay more for a powerful console than have them cut back just to make the price low.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
$499. As a console player I don't see the point in paying any more than that. Otherwise I'd finally make the jump to PC.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Anything above $400 you should go for a PC instead, or work on your backlog.

I guess I shouldn't say "you" because people come from different backgrounds lol. To some $600 is nothing.