Votes: 168 14.6%
  • $299

Votes: 37 3.2%
  • I never buy consoles at launch

Votes: 124 10.8%

• Total voters

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a $599 PS3 at launch, so I guess it's that, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I don't think any price over $499 would stick, long-term, so I think I'd hold off unless there was something absolutely compelling to play.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I will never pay more than $400 for a console. My backlog is big enough and my need to play the "new hotness" small enough that I'd wait for a hardware revision or a price drop.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Switch's price is my limit, AU$479 at launch had me questioning my choices. It was worth it, but I wouldn't go anywhere beyond that.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I mean, people paid 599 for the ps3, which is closer to 850 in today's money...with inflation as it is I don't think 599 is that bad, provided it's value for money and comes with games to justify the switch over.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I generally refuse to pay more than 350€ for a new console. I'll stretch it to 400€ if I'm very interested and I can't wait for the price to go down.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. I spent more time on consoels than playing on PC, and I spent $1000 on my last gaming PC on black friday in 2018. Def willing to spend 599 plus some on games and accessories, so my ceiling is quite high for something I know I will use almost daily for 5-6 years. I hope the Series X is 499, just so that Sony matches/goes below that, and I may be weak and get both on launch (if wife does not object).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$400 (Canadian) is the highest I have gone, and the highest I'm willing to go at my current income level.

edit - I forgot I spent more than that on my Xbox 360.

Last edited:

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
My price barrier is probably around $800 (AKA what a new phone would cost me if I decided tomorrow to go and get one), but I'm probably going to skip out till Spring of next year unless there is some really big thing I care about that is there on day 1 that I can't play on my PC/PS4. I don't want to deal with the circus of preordering, I want to either walk into a store or press order on AMazon and pick it up from an Amazon Locker the next day

I walked into a Target day one and got a PS4, and an Xbox One from Walmart day one, in Los Angeles. Didn't pre-order shit nor did I wait in some long ass line outside.

I think the days of camping out are pretty much over.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I would definitely buy a system well over $600 if it was a monster in a box I could fit under my TV. I don't know what the highest amount is but I'm spending $1k every two years on phones so I would definitely spend at least that every 3 or 4 years on a gaming console I use almost as much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not paying more than $400 for a console. I'm sorry, but there's nothing hardware can offer that justifies 500 or 600 bucks.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My limit is $299 standalone or $349 with a pack-in. No way am I spending over $400 for a console and a single game.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
I'll pay up to $499 (plus $30 for sales tax) for a PS5 (which is the price I'm currently expecting it to be).

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Husband and I will buy a PS5 at launch at whatever the price it is. We don't set a random price limit on things. If it is worth the price to us, we buy it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Even before more recent news, I've pretty much assumed the top-end SKU for PS5 and Series X would both be $499. Which seems fine given the bigger performance jump and inflation since the last gen started. $599 seems like a bit much, but I guess it depends on what we see in real world gameplay (ex. 4k60/VRR/HDR/RT).

I won't be getting both at launch, surely, but not because of the price. (I just play far more on PC these days than consoles.) Most likely scenario is I get PS5 in launch window and a Series X at some point in the future. (I have a PS4 non-Pro and One S, which informs the decision, too. If I'd just bought a One X or something I might see the console launches differently.)

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Over 500 and I'd probably delay buying it until a sale, even if there was a game I was really interested in.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I would be very uncomfortable with 599€, but for a Playstation with appropriate Hardware, Games and Backwards Compatibility I would pay that.
Not more though.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
$600 is not that high. Would you pay $1200 for a console and $200 per game if graphics were noticeably superior to any other console, OR single-GPU PC on the market at launch? We're talking a real beast here.

That's literally what the NeoGeo and games retailed for, adjusted for inflation!

Now that should weed out some people.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I personally never cross the $300 mark, considering I end up buying multiple games, controllers, and accessories. And this upcoming gen will be much more expensive than average since I will need to purchase a 4K TV.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
The limit of what I want to pay is 400, but I may be willing to pay 500 if the games look good enough.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. But there normally aren't any good launch games so I end up waiting a year or two anyway.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I've been buying every console when they come out since the PlayStation. At this point I will buy both consoles and immediately regret it like I always do. As long as they're not over $600 at that point I might as well get a new graphics card.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It's doubtful any launch period would have enough games I'm dying to play that I'd pay over $300, which basically plants me firmly in the "I don't buy at launch" camp. Even though the Switch launched at $299, I still didn't buy it until Xenoblade 2 was out nine months later. There's always enough games still releasing on the previous consoles, not to mention backlogs, to tide me over until price drops (or just good Black Friday deals).

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I answered $599 but say they released PS5 with Bloodborne 2, I'd pay any price tbh.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, but I managed to justify $599 for the PS3 as a college student. I have a lot more disposable income now. Though, I can't say I'd be eager to pay $599 again.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
No but my wife does. 😂

Figuring alongside the console itself I will need an extra controller, a charging station with batteries and a game or 2. Depending on SSD size, maybe an external HD. Hoping my current headset can work with the Series X as well. Any
Thoughts on current gen headsets on these new consoles?

Thecrunked

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a budget for either console, however I won't buy either if there isn't a compelling reason at launch. I have a switch and a very capable PC so I might only buy a ps5 and skip over the Xbox anyway because most if not all of the games MS will be on PC and Sony's probably be console exclusives. With that said, if I feel Sony isn't finding a fair balance between price and spec I could def wait for a discount or price drop

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's not the price, it's what you get with it, and games and features are more important to me than just specs. So the higher the price for the hardware, the higher the software must deliver.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I mean, it depends on what your money is buying you.

$499 USD is kind-of a soft cap for me, but if a console had a bunch of "must play" launch window titles or something, and the hardware was robust, I could be convinced to go higher.

It's a box I'm likely going to be using for 6-7 years, and get thousands of hours of use out of, so I'm not too precious about an extra hundred bucks in the right circumstances.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
No, a console has insane ROI in terms of hours of enjoyment. I'm fortunate to say that I would accept any price given.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I will likely wait until the first price drop and/or a really good bundle but $399 would be my upper limit.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
$499 is my limit on a PS5, because that'll translate into like $650+ CAD and that's just more than I'd be comfortable paying. Now if they announce it's completely BC (PS1-4), then I'll be screwed. I'd pay whatever they asked for one, wether it financial made sense for me or not. lol