Votes: 920 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 201 17.9%

• Total voters

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was by far the most difficult game to grade for me. The first 50 hours where some of the best in any game. By that point I was sure it would end up on my top 10 of all time, but then the pacing fell of a cliff. Now that alone didn't ruin the game for me. The horrible treatment of Ann and the gay couple was hard to watch and felt so backwards. What finally destroyed my liking of the game for me was the ending. To me it felt like a slap in the face and completely negated any morale points made in the story up until said ending.
the otherwise awesome villains completely lost their meaning to me with the whole "well they where only evil because evil god" narrative
To this day I am conflicted if my grade was to harsh given how much I adored the first 50 hours, and despite the horrible pacing I still enjoyed the last 50 hours. But man that ending.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
have you seen the amount of people crying about wanting P5 to go to switch? i dont think they would be saying that if a majority of people didnt like the game.

I feel like this thread makes no real sense.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Every single time people say: "It was too long"; all I can think in my mind is: "I wish it had lasted another 50hrs more"

Same here.

When I walked around Tokyo for the last time in the epilogue, I realized how much I didn't want to say goodbye. I started NG+ immediately.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I voted yes, as I do like the game.

Its narrative is deeply flawed unlike Persona 4, but the combat system is refined perfectly... and a remake could really fix things or keep them flawed. TBD on that soon. and maybe give me even harder enemies to fight at the end, as you can get pretty OP.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I never quite understood the pedestal a lot of people put Persona 4 on. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good game. But I think the writing and storytelling between Persona 3-5 is about the same tier of quality overall, while a lot of people I see talk about 4 like it's the holy grail, untouchable and without flaws. None of them are significantly better to me, it's just a matter of preference (and 5's story and themes resonate with me more than 3 or 4). Each Persona game has its strength and weaknesses in terms of storytelling, but the massive amount of gameplay improvements are why I'm probably more likely to replay 5 than the other two.
I also admit this is true despite my fanboy attitude toward 4.

All of P3-5 are great games that likely come down to personal preference on what type of narrative you're looking for in a JRPG. It really is true.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
It has some high and low, but I really liked it, it's a solid 8.5 for me.
Overall I preferred P4 though.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Every single time people say: "It was too long"; all I can think in my mind is: "I wish it had lasted another 50hrs more"
I, too, believe it should've been longer.
What finally destroyed my liking of the game for me was the ending. To me it felt like a slap in the face and completely negated any morale points made in the story up until said ending.
the otherwise awesome villains completely lost their meaning to me with the whole "well they where only evil because evil god" narrative
I didn't get this impression at all. First I've ever seen anyone think that's what happened.

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
The games really good but falls off HARD towards the end, which is why I mostly associate disappointment with it in my mind

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I loved Persona 5. It got me into the series and is my second favourite title in the series behind Persona 3. It's not perfect, it has a few pacing issues towards the end but I loved the characters, themes, and music.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've never played Golden, so that probably affects my view on things. But as someone whose first Persona was 4 about 6 years ago, and having just finished Persona 5 recently, it wasn't hard for me to enjoy 5 more. Maybe it's because I played it several years after release detached from all the hype, but it's been a really long time since I was so invested in a game. I would totally understand though if someone liked the story of 3/4 more, I just never thought any of 3-5's story/characters were significantly better than the other. 5 is my favorite, but I would never say 3/4 have bad story/characters because they aren't like 5. It just seems like so much discussion of 5's flaws is in the light of "Persona 4 did X, why couldn't 5 do X too?" Which feels limiting to me.

Well, the thing is Persona 4 Golden is basically 4 PLUS an expansion PLUS a balance/QoL patch PLUS it's portable and all that adds up to a noticeably smoother experience than just Persona 4 plain or Persona 5 plain. If they do something similar for Persona 5 (Switch port for portability plus improvements & additions) than I think P5 will be my favorite game in the series instead of it being a toss-up between P4G & P5. The portability in particular I think is key and would do a lot to help P5's pacing feeling off when you can just hop in and play a few minutes here and there instead of having to dedicate a long sit-down session for it.

My biggest confusion really though is people in this thread who played through a 100 hour RPG and said they didn't like it at all.

Yeah, that I don't get. I've played games that I've decided I don't like in the end but never that long and never without having something I like about them.

Last edited:

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm rarely interested in JRPGs and I was never interested in japanese highschool themes.
So no.

But I believe people when they say it's a good game, in it's genre.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like Persona 5, but I also feel like it's unbelievably bloated. When the game came out I put almost 50 hours into it and only got to the 3rd(?) Palace. When I beat P4G I finished my first playthrough at about 50 ish hours and immediately jumped into NG+ to get the true ending. P3P only took me about 40 or so hours to finish.

The pacing in P5 is just not great. One day I'll finish that game but it really feels like trying to climb a tall mountain covered in mud.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As long as those 50 hrs were like the fast half and not the second half.

And also Ryuji is dead so he doesn't fuck everything up. Let's just say murder sucide with Mishima but none of the characters know so they don't mention it, they just assume they left town or something.

But I would know.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah, it rules. Even though I vastly prefer the cast and story of previous Persona games, P5 is such a slick, well-paced game that it makes it really hard to revisit previous entries in the series. It's easily my favorite turn-based combat system of all time, and the speed at which battles progress made returning to Persona 4 after finishing P5 feel l i k e p l a y i n g i n s l o w m o t i o n .

Not to mention dungeons you actually get to explore and solve puzzles in are a million bazillion times better than the RNG dungeon crawls of P3 and P4.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I bounced off it really quickly because of the calendar advancing stuff and minor activities taking up half a day for some reason, it stressed me out and it felt like the game had too hands in my back pushing me through the game.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see the poll expanded:

* Yes
* No
* No but I followed a day by day guide so I could 100% the game and so sort of ruined it for myself but fuck me these are long games and fuck Ryuji I'm only playing this once so I better see everything.

I think there might be a key there as to why a lot of people like 3 or 4 better.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I've never played it but i tried it and i've seen it. Based on my previous experiences with Persona, i don't hate it but i don't see where's the magic.

Shin Megami Tensei is far more appealing to me due to more interesting story and world setting, it gets more philosophical and less anime.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Played it twice, filled the compendium, beat the secret boss, made some overpowered personas, so yes, I guess I liked it.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely enjoyed it, but some of the story telling felt kinda flat towards the end for me. Stylish as all but rarely felt like much of an improvement, more an iteration, over the previous entry.

Victorius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, it was my very first JRPG. The first 30 hours I liked very much. Than my enthusiasm dropped. I started playing with it in December 2017, I am now at 40 hrs.

I don't think I will ever finish it.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it!!
And the people who didn't,... well, they are just a minority.
There are many who liked more P3 or P4, even the previous 3 ones, but most of these people also enjoyed the fifth (or sixth) game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I'll never finish it. I love the style, the battles, the characters etc. But I can't bring myself to play another minute of it. I stopped halfway through Okumura's Palace.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see the poll expanded:

* Yes
* No
* No but I followed a day by day guide so I could 100% the game and so sort of ruined it for myself but fuck me these are long games and fuck Ryuji I'm only playing this once so I better see everything.

I think there might be a key there as to why a lot of people like 3 or 4 better.
The most typical answer I tend to see for preferring P4 is for having the most pronounced sense of camaraderie with its group, this leading people to not complaining as much about that game's padding (I don't dislike P4's cast, but a significant amount of time was devoted to them just screwing around). For P3, I always question when the last time someone praising it actually played it, as I see it as having had the weakest cast of the three (main and S. Links), a theme that beats people over the head (death, death, DEATH, and more death), and gameplay that hasn't aged well at all. I felt that P5 found the best overall balance between plausible depictions of high schoolers and professionalism as a group (P3's cast was easily the most impersonal as a result of the co-worker dynamic the developers went with and they would've been more believable as college students, P4's were believable high school students but the least organized or strategic outside of Naoto).
Definitely enjoyed it, but some of the story telling felt kinda flat towards the end for me. Stylish as all but rarely felt like much of an improvement, more an iteration, over the previous entry.
In terms of formula an iteration, a massive leap in respect to actual gameplay and presentation (combat, UI, character models, level design, relevance of Confidants to what you do beyond Persona fusions, etc.).

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The most typical answer I tend to see for preferring P4 is for having the most pronounced sense of camaraderie with its group, this leading people to not complaining as much about that game's padding (I don't dislike P4's cast, but a significant amount of time was devoted to them just screwing around). For P3, I always question when the last time someone praising it actually played it, as I see it as having had the weakest cast of the three (main and S. Links), a theme that beats people over the head (death, death, DEATH, and more death), and gameplay that hasn't aged well at all. I felt that P5 found the best overall balance between plausible depictions of high schoolers and professionalism as a group (P3's cast was easily the most impersonal as a result of the co-worker dynamic the developers went with and they would've been more believable as college students, P4's were believable high school students but the least organized or strategic outside of Naoto).

I played 3 again last year and it's still definitely my favorite, the story, music, atmosphere of the game I just like far more than 4.

4 is also the only game in the series that has characters I dislike (Yukiko and particularly Rise)

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
No, i couldn't get past the sexualisation of 16 year olds. The escalation from a teacher molesting and physically abusing his students to an artist stealing his students work felt like a huge cop out for me. I dont like that every social link is datable and all their problems are fixed by the magic of the protaganist ruining any character progression of them and leaving me disinterest. The combat, music and art style are good tho.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I played 3 again last year and it's still definitely my favorite, the story, music, atmosphere of the game I just like far more than 4.

4 is also the only game in the series that has characters I dislike (Yukiko and particularly Rise)
Fair enough.

I don't dislike any particular characters in P4, but I think less of some of the scenes/interactions in retrospect, though it's more like already having disliked specific things and them bothering me more over time.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
No, there are certain topics Atlus puts in the game and the way they portray them that don't sit well with me. P3 is still my favourite, since P4 also has the same pitfall.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
No, there are certain topics Atlus puts in the game and the way they portray them that don't sit well with me. P3 is still my favourite, since P4 also has the same pitfall.
Does no one really remember P3 having the exact same issue with its beach scene? Lala in P5 aside, none of the Hashino games are good with this.
It's a good JRPG, but it has a ton of pacing-story-design flaws that I hope Atlus fixes with SMT 5.
If SMTV is anything like other traditional SMT games, the story will be minimalist and the characters generally flat.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. I feel like I need to play it again properly. I rushed though 90+ hours to avoid internet spoilers so I may not have enjoyed the game as much. I still prefer P4G and I think that one is the best one of the franchise, but I played it like 3-4 times so it has an unfair advantage.

I think my issue is that, we had to wait so damn long for something which felt shouldn't have taken that long when compared to previous entries (of course Q and Golden may have taken a bit of their development so it probably was long enough for the game to be made).

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Does no one really remember P3 having the exact same issue with its beach scene? Lala in P5 aside, none of the Hashino games are good with this.

I do remember, and it did make me uncomfortable. I just said that all the persona games I've played (3-4-5) I prefer 3, since it's the one where less of these things happen (and I prefer that storyline anyways).

Having *that character* in the squad in P5 doesn't sit well with me, and being queer that scene on the beach in P5 also doesn't make me want to continue playing it. Same with P4.

Tuckin

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
It's got some really bad pacing issues and there is way too much constant recapping of events. But other than that it's one of my favourite games in recent memory. I'm hopeful P5R will fix the issues with it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember, and it did make me uncomfortable. I just said that all the persona games I've played (3-4-5) I prefer 3, since it's the one where less of these things happen (and I prefer that storyline anyways).

Having *that character* in the squad in P5 doesn't sit well with me, and being queer that scene on the beach in P5 also doesn't make me want to continue playing it. Same with P4.
Understandable. Persona used to be better about that around P2 specifically, but devolved into stereotypes by modern Persona.