Votes: 201 17.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a game that is as long as Persona 5 already is, I think the entire Okumura portion could be removed entirely. That's true about Psy skills, but considering how useful they are and how long it is before she joins the party you already have those skills covered by the MC.

The game would be fairly different without her, I just think the game could've used some trimming in general and that section of the game is the most obvious place to trim.
She's one of my favorite characters so I'd be really upset if they cut her section.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
The game is not as good as either 3 or 4, but I don't dislike it? It's mostly more of the same (with better dungeon design and aesthetics), so it's fine

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
There are things I loved about it.
  • Artstyle is incredible. Every time I play it, it's impressive and entertaining
  • Music/audio is great. See above
  • Story is often actually compelling and "mature"
Then there are a lot of things I hate about it.
  • Dungeons are long, repetitive, tedious, and boring
  • Combat is long, repetitive, tedious, and boring in more ways than one
  • A lot of the characters and dialog put me to sleep; I'd almost rather read the instruction manual for my new watch than listen to all the mundane garbage the game throws at me
I quit Persona 5 after 20 hours because I couldn't do it anymore. At the end of each play session, I was left wishing I could have spent more time exploring and doing side content. Instead I felt like I'd wasted several more hours of my life on boring combat, boring dungeons, and boring story filler.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
They did, yet again that doesn't give them a deadline where anything personal is at stake.

And why doesn't it?

their stated goal is to change society for the better, and okamura is the first target they actually crowdsource from the general public instead of basing it on a personal vendetta. his actions are more far reaching than any of the previous targets, they see his palace, and see his shadow, but then after he croaks they're all "dammit we let the fame go to our heads we should have never let the public decide we should have stayed true to ourselves!!!" and it's just so bizarre to have characters be like "instead of focusing on issues that the general public have complained about we should have stayed focused on people who have personally slighted us."

(and yes it turns out the poll was rigged and it was all a set up, but they don't know this at the time)

anyway i think the problem with "Haru is important to the game because x, y, and z" is that "x, y, and z" all have more elegant solutions. like we can say "oh haru has the psy and gun skills" but it's like, there's no reason the other party members shouldn't have gun skills and there's no real reason that psy abilities have to be in the game, period (at least Frei is something from the Persona series).

not that i'm arguing she should be removed from the game, but as it is she's not particularly well integrated and she really needs to be expanded on in any future versions of persona 5 that may or may not be in development.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm somewhere in between, I didn't dislike it but I didn't really love it either

definitely my least favorite of the 'new' trilogy of Persona games (3-5) though it did have the best battle system

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I...I honesty don't know. It's been a while since I finally finished it and even up until now I haven't been able to figure out how I geniunely felt about it.
It was a pretty polarizing experience.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Why you gotta make this a binary choice.

I have the biggest love/hate relationship with this game. There are some aspects of it I really like, such as the fact that the plot has something meaningful and important to say. But there are some aspects of it I really don't like, such as the incredibly repetitive or pointless fluff dialogue. Also the battle system is probably one of the most boring turn-based battle systems I've ever played, and normally I love turn based battle systems.

Overall, I liked it. It's such a unique and earnest experience, I'm glad I played it. But there are some things about this game that I honestly think are straight up bad.

Last edited:

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm in the middle of my platinum new game plus run. I have hand written myself a guide on how to get everything, and I can't bring myself to fast forward seeing as I already spent 200 hours playing before I beat it the first time. Its much more replayable than P4G (favorite game of all time) and this time around I am appreciating things more (Yusuke, mostly). I cried when I finished both P4G and P5 (must unlock level 7 for backstory) and after this I am going to finish P3P. I don't like it more than P4G but I like it enough.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yes. Definitely. I went to continue my game which I started almost a year and a half ago. Things is... I didn't remember anything of what I was doing then. It took me a while to get back into it, but yeah... Persona 5 is easily one of GOTG.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I think my issue with P5 is that certain characters and plot elements are very back heavy, so they occur all near the end-ish of the game. I really think a P5 "golden" edition would be absolutely awesome though.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The thing I've always been curious to hear is how many newcomers disliked it. Persona 5 would have been a lot of peoples first Persona game and a lot of the time when I see people disappointed in the game it's due to expectations coming off of the previous games (mainly 4).

This is my impression as well. A lot of complaints about Persona 5 (not that there aren't a lot of legitimate complaints as well) seem to boil down to "it's different from Persona 4." But most newcomers I talk to love it.

It's my favorite Persona far and away and in my top 10 easily. It's an incredible experience that despite being 100 hours never overstayed its welcome.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Then there are a lot of things I hate about it.
  • Dungeons are long, repetitive, tedious, and boring
  • Combat is long, repetitive, tedious, and boring
  • A lot of the characters and dialog make me to fall asleep; I'd almost rather read the instruction manual for my new watch than listen to all the mundane garbage the game throws at me
I quit Persona 5 after about 20 hours because it was boring me. I wanted to love it but I couldn't. At the end of each play session, I wished I could just explore and do the side content, but I had to deal with hours of boring combat, boring dungeons, and boring story filler.

What? You played 20 hours yet your negatives are like those haters who regurgitate the same cons on this forum.
If you think P5's combat is "boring" and "repetitive" after 20 hours, you should steer clear of all JRPGs. You'd probably fall asleep playing Dragon Quest 11.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
What? You played 20 hours yet your negatives are like those haters who regurgitate the same cons on this forum.
If you think P5's combat is "boring" and "repetitive" after 20 hours, you should steer clear of all JRPGs. You'd probably fall asleep playing Dragon Quest 11.

Deep thought: maybe people have legitimate complaints about Persona 5 and aren't just "haters".

And I've enjoyed DQ 11 so far. Being able to spend about as much time as I want free roaming probably helps.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Deep thought: maybe people have legitimate complaints about Persona 5 and aren't just "haters".

And I've enjoyed DQ 11 so far. Being able to spend about as much time as I want free roaming probably helps.

I don't see in any world where people can objectively claim P5's combat as "long, repetitive, tedious, and boring" after 20 hours while enjoying DQ 11's combat. Also if P5's dialog makes you fall asleep, DQ11 would cure your insomnia.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did, yet again that doesn't give them a deadline where anything personal is at stake. They could've just as well gotten around to it whenever they felt like it, rather than making him an immediate priority.

And why doesn't it?

Yet they didn't, and as such getting rid of what they did go with only leaves a void that has to be filled by a hypothetical scenario in its place.
Sure, or that could've come from some of their other takedowns. Obviously things would have to change regardless.
She's one of my favorite characters so I'd be really upset if they cut her section.
Yeah, I'm sure plenty of people liked her, and she didn't ruin the game for me or anything like that, overall she's fine. It's really just my personal thoughts on the game, her inclusion felt inconsequential to me. If they had done more with her then maybe I would feel differently.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. One of my favorite rpgs. The only thing I disliked about it was that next to last dungeon and the fact I wish I could have performed more activities during certain periods. Still I loved that game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would really need to know by what standards anyone considering the combat "boring" or "repetitive" is comparing it to in order to understand why, as it's easily the best in any of Atlus' turn-based games (Persona or otherwise).
their stated goal is to change society for the better, and okamura is the first target they actually crowdsource from the general public instead of basing it on a personal vendetta. his actions are more far reaching than any of the previous targets, they see his palace, and see his shadow, but then after he croaks they're all "dammit we let the fame go to our heads we should have never let the public decide we should have stayed true to ourselves!!!" and it's just so bizarre to have characters be like "instead of focusing on issues that the general public have complained about we should have stayed focused on people who have personally slighted us."

(and yes it turns out the poll was rigged and it was all a set up, but they don't know this at the time)

anyway i think the problem with "Haru is important to the game because x, y, and z" is that "x, y, and z" all have more elegant solutions. like we can say "oh haru has the psy and gun skills" but it's like, there's no reason the other party members shouldn't have gun skills and there's no real reason that psy abilities have to be in the game, period (at least Frei is something from the Persona series).

not that i'm arguing she should be removed from the game, but as it is she's not particularly well integrated and she really needs to be expanded on in any future versions of persona 5 that may or may not be in development.
They already end up realizing that they let fame go to their heads, and things going wrong with that are pretty much what set them straight to make that goal of bettering society more than an empty claim.
Again, yes, there are things that they could've done with other party members combat-wise yet didn't, their specialties already clearly defined with the need to drop certain skills as new ones are learned always a factor. Personally, I preferred seeing included abilities not remain stagnant, not originally being from Persona specifically not making them any less legit in my view.

That said, while I disagree with her not being well-integrated during what little time they gave her, I do agree that Haru should be expanded upon in a potential (inevitable) revision.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
no, its one of the greatest gaming disappointments ive ever experienced

if i had never played a persona game before i might have enjoyed it, but after P4, you're gonna have to do alot better than this shit

i was so excited to play the sequel to P4 that i played P5 for 30 hours before i allowed myself to finally admit that i didn't like it

haven't touched it since

the style was excellent, and the gameplay was a solid as ever, but they characters and story did literally nothing for me, the story felt completely impersonal and inorganic compared to the previous 2 games

it was inconceivable to me that i wouldn't like it, the thought never once entered my head while i waited years for it to come out, its still hard to believe

EDIT: oh, and obviously the music was great, its a testament to how much i like P3 and P4 that even though i really disliked P5, i had 3 different P5 ringtones on my phone for over a year after release, i dont think this could have happened with any other franchise

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of serious praise in this thread. Can anyone that calls it potential game of the generation elaborate? I'm interested in buying it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A lot of serious praise in this thread. Can anyone that calls it potential game of the generation elaborate? I'm interested in buying it.

It's stylish. It's pulpy. It's fun. It has things to say about the world we live in (with varying degrees of success). It has an amazing soundtrack, UI, and overall presentation. The battle mechanics are about as fluid and engaging as you could hope for in a turn-based JRPG. Tokyo is a surprisingly dense setting with a lot to do in it, besides just interacting with NPCs. When the game ended, I found myself wishing it wasn't already over.

It's also a real longass game, it took me 100 hours as someone who played P3 and P4, it might take you even longer. If you can stick with it, and all of the above sounds appealing to you, then go for it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
You play a high schooler wrongly thought of as a delinquent after being falsely charged with assaulting a corrupt politician. He transfers to a new school and eventually enters an alternate reality where he gains a supernatural power, the eponymous Persona (think of Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure if you're familiar, only based on fictional, historical, and mythological figures), all while discovering alongside new allies he gains along the way that the hearts of corrupt individuals can be made to undergo a change of heart. This is accomplished through stealing the treasure associated with that corrupt individual's Shadow self, with the main character (whom you can name, but has the canonical name of Ren Amamiya and goes by the code name of Joker) and his allies raiding the palaces manifested by those individuals' ambitions in that alternate reality as they take on the role of picaresque Phantom Thieves complete with masks and outlandish outfits. Though you start out with only one Persona, you can gain more as you fight and defeat enemies, as well as create new ones through fusing old ones.

Meanwhile, you also live an ordinary life in the real world, attending classes, working part-time, hanging out with people (which also leads to learning new skills and abilities to help you in battle, as well as get you access to new items and equipment), things like that. Great soundtrack, great presentation, but yes a very long ride where it's best to do as the load screens say and "Take Your Time".

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. It'd probably make my top 10 if I'd played it during school days. I don't think it does anything particularly groundbreaking, and I wouldn't call it one of the best JRPG's of all time since there are certainly better ones. Personally I'd give P5 an 8/10 as a score, but the special thing for me is how consistent it is, and how the game maintains its greatness the entire way through. The only games I've played for more than 60 hours in the last decade have been Persona 5 and Monster Hunter World. Breath of the Wild is in my top 10 of all time and I still didn't play it as much as Persona 5. Games just don't tend to keep me engaged for that long but Persona 5 was really special in that way, kept me hooked from beginning to end.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
I think I actually dislike it. I like Persona 3 and I love Persona 4, but Persona 5 beat me over the head when with the story when things were obvious, and dragged out its dungeons when the fun factor had all died down.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 also wasted a lot of time with the most obvious things in the story but the games weren't as long, and maybe now it felt a bit too much since this is the third entry with the same formula. The dungeons are well designed but are always hours longer than they need to be. It also feels like the story in Persona 5 has kinda lost sight of its original vision.

Production values and the incredible first arc make it memorable for me regardless, but it's such a chore to play through as you keep progressing. I'm 80 hours in, but I then went back to other great games and I'm actually having fun playing those games. I don't know if I'll finish Persona 5.

I just can't say I've had a great time with the game. Maybe if it was my first Persona game I'd like it more.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Meanwhile, you also live an ordinary life in the real world, attending classes, working part-time, hanging out with people (which also leads to learning new skills and abilities to help you in battle, as well as get you access to new items and equipment), things like that. Great soundtrack, great presentation, but yes a very long ride where it's best to do as the load screens say and "Take Your Time".

When I first saw "Take Your Time" I thought the developers were being cheeky.

I almost wish I listened. I blew through the whole game in 4 weeks and despite its length I felt a wave of sadness when it was over.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. I don't see how anyone can contend that the presentation and ost are anything but top notch.

I don't understand why the battle system gets praise though, there's absolutely no depth to it at all. Even among atlus RPGs it's overly simple and by the end of the first dungeon, you've seen absolutely everything the game has to offer in terms of battles, but then it goes on for another 80 hours or something.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's fine. I don't see how anyone can contend that the presentation and ost are anything but top notch.

I don't understand why the battle system gets praise though, there's absolutely no depth to it at all. Even among atlus RPGs it's overly simple and by the end of the first dungeon, you've seen absolutely everything the game has to offer in terms of battles, but then it goes on for another 80 hours or something.

Personally an RPG battle system being simple is often a plus, not a minus. Too many RPGs have a lot of extra stuff in their battle system you don't really need.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to like, but I just can't. Hated the characters, story, setting and the dungeons are a chore.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Absolutely loved it, the characters, style, setting, gameplay, music - all just came together so well.

Some people mentioned it dragged on for too long, but I honestly loved every second with it and my save file clocked in at 120 hours.

I was actually astounded by the quality of writing and story telling 30, 60, 90, 100+ hours in. Always felt fresh and built up characters very well. Some may see it as bloat, but I was totally dragged in the entire time.

One of my favourite JRPGs of all time.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Personally an RPG battle system being simple is often a plus, not a minus. Too many RPGs have a lot of extra stuff in their battle system you don't really need.

yea personally i like simple battle systems with really complex and customization progression on the outside

I really wanted to like, but I just can't. Hated the characters, story, setting and the dungeons are a chore.

i think you and i had a similar experience with the game

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's a boring slog that goes on for 50 hours too long. The characters aren't nearly as interesting or likable as P4s, the GAY PANIC characters that should never have been localized... all the OMG STYLE of it isn't enough to ever make me want to play through it again. I could play though P4 at least once a year and not get bored. With P5, once was more than enough. If you like it, great. You can keep it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Because the press turn system is a more fun take on the regular generic turn based system(see something like DQ 11 for instance) imo. Besides that, most of the "fighting" doesn't come from the actual battles. It comes from building your personas in the right way and that can be very engaging to people.

Another example, I just finished FF5 for the first time, and the actual "battle" system of it is very simple, but the amount of customization outside of the battle to build your character in the way you want is what makes the "battle system" fun.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's a boring slog that goes on for 50 hours too long. The characters aren't nearly as interesting or likable as P4s, the GAY PANIC characters that should never have been localized... all the OMG STYLE of it isn't enough to ever make me want to play through it again. I could play though P4 at least once a year and not get bored. With P5, once was more than enough. If you like it, great. You can keep it.

The homophobic NPCs are bad but they take up maybe 30 seconds of screentime. Meanwhile Yosuke is on your party for all of Persona 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really... I feel like maybe some day I'll be able to go back to it and finish it (I've been back to it twice now and I haven't been engaged enough to finish). It's my first Persona game, so I don't know or care whether it's better than 4 or not. But there's very little of it I enjoy outside of the visual style and music. The structure was intriguing at first, but it becomes very annoying later on as it continues to repeat itself with little variation. The story is intriguing at first, but then becomes annoying when the arcs end up basically being the same thing just with a new party member to save. The dialogue is also very repetitive (probably because of the arcs being repetitive), characters saying the same thing over and over. Every time an adult does something bad they always repeat essentially the same lines about said badness. I would like some amount of.. I dunno self awareness? I'm not sure the word I'm looking for. But at the point of the game I'm at, it's well established what our group does, so instead of acting shocked and disgusted every time the bad guys do bad things, maybe we could throw some other emotions or lines of dialogue in there like dejection or something. You know how people (rightfully) complain about how the structure of Breath of the Wild limits the story it could tell? Well it feels like P5 falls into a lot of the same issues while having a completely linear structure. Like the palaces could all be swapped in order and it wouldn't matter because they all cover the same ground and don't build off each other. Obviously the story bits in between don't work that way, but it doesn't help when most of what you're doing is repetitive and the dialogue can't keep up.

And then I also don't really like the combat or dungeons so I can't really enjoy any of the game except for the stuff in between like meeting up with a character and seeing their side stories. This also makes the main dungeons worse because I want to power through them in one day if possible so I have more time to do other stuff, but they're pretty long and boring, so I assume they're designed with taking multiple days in mind, but having less time do other stuff is annoying. If I were to play another Persona game I'd like to see them mix up their structure better and to give you more opportunities to do stuff during the day without jumping so quickly between morning afternoon and evening, because that's where most of the good content is as far as what I've seen.

So yeah, the game gives a great first impression, but was not able to hold up to the crazy number of hours it seems to want me to stick around for.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The homophobic NPCs are bad but they take up maybe 30 seconds of screentime. Meanwhile Yosuke is on your party for all of Persona 4.
If they hadn't nixed Yosuke's social link with protag, it would have made more sense. Yosuke being in denial about his feelings and projecting. The P5 characters are offensive and serve no purpose other than "EWW GAYS!"

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I personally hate modern Persona, but ERA in general loves it.
Honestly you shouldn't be concerned with what others think if you like it.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I very much do, even if it can be a love-hate relationship out of frustration with the game's two-faced nature (most notably with the way Ann is handled).

If they hadn't nixed Yosuke's social link with protag, it would have made more sense. Yosuke being in denial about his feelings and projecting. The P5 characters are offensive and serve no purpose other than "EWW GAYS!"
Yosuke's gay panic is entirely played for laughs. P4 went so far as to make an entire dungeon a gay joke, complete with Yosuke freaking out about it.

There's no point in downplaying P4's faults in this regard, especially after complaining about P5's own instances of it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, but at the same time am disappointed by a lackluster localization. It deserved more TLC, and I think a few more passes would have resulted in a much more charming game and given it some more of P4's lively je ne sais quoi.

This is the homophobic scene that people are always bringing up in P5 threads, correct?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I very much do, even if it can be a love-hate relationship out of frustration with the game's two-faced nature (most notably with the way Ann is handled).

Yosuke's gay panic is entirely played for laughs. P4 went so far as to make an entire dungeon a gay joke, complete with Yosuke freaking out about it.

There's no point in downplaying P4's faults in this regard, especially after complaining about P5's own instances of it.
It is heavily implied in deleted audio that Yosuke is gay.

He bullies Kanji and behaves overly homophobic because he doesnt want to confront his feelings for protag. By removing the context of that, it seems it is only played for laughs. The P5 NPCs exist only to perpetuate hateful stereotypes.