Do you like to play video games while listening to music?

• Yes, generally

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Not at all

Votes: 60 50.0%

• Total voters

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It usually happens when I'm grinding, though sometimes there are games with music I just really don't like, or there are games that have music that isn't well used (e.g. I love Arc the Lad 2, but that game has battle themes that are shorter than the actual battles).

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite gaming moments are games that take your personal music and play them during scenes. Like Half Life boss fights to rock music makes it feel like a movie scene.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I usually listen to music or audio books. I really like grinding in games and listening or watching stuff at the same time.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Stellaris, Hearts of Iron 4, Imperator Rome, etc. are all great to play and listen to music or podcasts at the same time.

Playing Imperator Rome while listening to the "History of Rome" podcast was specifically pretty great.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Depends on the game but most of the time no because I find it really distracting.

Only game I really have music playing is Rocket League. I disabled in game music and stream Spotify. I can still hear the countdowns, explosions, and engines.

If the game doesn't have dialogue or really good in game music then I'll stick on my own but try to make in game sounds audible still by mixing properly.

Apr 21, 2018
This would have been a great poll OP! (I think you can still edit in a poll?)

For me it depends, but mostly know. I like to immersed into games. If it's something like Mario Kart or Smash Bros and I'm kind of just mindlessly playing away, sure, I'll sometimes put a podcast on.

But for most games I like the immersion. I could never play a shooter or an atmospheric game with separate music, for example.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Only if I'm grinding something or if the soundtrack gets on my absolute nerves (anything heavy metal or rock basically. Yuck.)

Otherwise the music is pretty integral to my experience. Hell, even sometimes WHILE grinding I'll let it play. Monster Hunter/Final Fantasy music rules so why not lol

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Usuallly no, but I do have a Diablo 3 specific playlist on spotify filled with Metal covers of other video game music that I put on when I'm grinding

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
The only games I can do this with are the ones where the soundtrack is literally just radio stations and not highly connected to what's going on on screen. That limits me to just driving games really.

A lot of my favourite gaming moments involve a good use of the score at the right moment.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
All the time on my pc, unless it's a single player, story based game like an RPG or something. I mostly play online competitive games though such as Battlefront II, World of Warships, Mount & Blade Warband, etc.

It's great listening to my collection of about 853+ hours of music set on random.

Oct 27, 2017
No, never. I usually play SP games and I'll want to listen to the music or the dialogue or the cutscenes. Even when I'm playing a multiplayer game with no real story to speak of like Helldivers I still like to listen to the music and instructions in the game. When people talk about 'podcast games' for me I think that if I'm doing something so brainless and uninvolving that I don't need to listen to the game at all then it can't be very fulfilling to play.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely for stuff such as sports games or just games where audio doesn't feel like a big factor. Could be something like Cities:Skyline, Slay the spire, Rocket League, etc etc.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only in racing games, specially games like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport.
Those games have lots of events and give you the best opportunity to listen to music.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Mostly just with fighting games, when playing against friends. Otherwise I prefer in-game music.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Music is part of the game and so I do not listen to other music while playing a game. There are a few games where doing something while playing is an option, like Elite Dangerous where you jump from system to system and the main activity is waiting. Here a video is a godsent

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes, but I'm much more likely I'll listen to podcasts/videos.

It depends a lot on the game, I mostly do it during open world traversal or creation games. It only really works during periods where there is no dialogue and the audio is generally ambient, and I'll continue listening to the in-game audio (with music off).

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I 99% dont. Just sometimes for playing Turf War in Splatoon 2. However, I do recognise it is an option.

Do you do? Why? What kind of music do you prefer for this?

I'm quite Hardcore on Elite Dangerous. In that game only i always have different spotify playlists going. When you pilot a cargo spaceship delivering goods around the galaxy, i find it quite normal to listen to music.

I usually listen to jazz, classical, country in this particular context.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
yes i do. Generally speaking when ir each 100h or thereabouts i'm kinda bored of the music. So i disable the sound of a game and use spotify for the music.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Depends on what I'm playing. If it's a narrative driven single player game then no, but if it's a MP or looter shooter like Destiny, Halo, Division, etc. then yes.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
No I don't I feel it ruins the atmosphere of a game, also my perception is that people mostly play music when playing repetitive games where they are playing on routine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. I actually have specific Spotify playlists made for certain games and I'll always load them up. Plays havoc with my Spotify recommendations I tell you...

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Single player only and only once I've played through 90% or X number of hours (FFXIV for instance). Ori, never listened to my personal music, in game was too beautiful.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Never! It feels like I'm disrespecting the game's sound and music. What I do is that on some very grindy, repetitive games, I'll throw on a podcast. That feels like getting done two things at once. Music doesn't have that effect there.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I would only concider it for games like Picross and tower defence.

The in-game music is normally intrinsic to the game IMO.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do for Smash Bros. Put on something chill and go online. Helps me relax when I play and be more chill if I lose.

but if it's a narrative heavy game or something where I need to communicate—no.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
More Podcasts than music.

Stuff like Destiny, Cities Skylines, Dead Cells are perfect for it. Stuff like Siege or Single player games with lots of dialog.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I've ever listened to music other than the game is if what I'm doing is just pure mindless grinding. And I generally don't grind in games so it happens pretty rarely

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
this HEAVILY depends on the game. Do you really find football manager sound to be integral to the experience?
Probably not but I'd never play Football Manager. Looking at the games I own (RPGs, action, action-adventure, shooters, racers, platformers...), I wouldn't want to skip audio in literally any of them.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Only in multiplayer games sometimes or endgame/grinding stuff

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
No. No at all. I play the game and i want to listen to the music, i prefer it that way. But i dont mind if the game is an endless grinding game like diablo 3, but i have to beat the game with the original score at least once

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
absolutely not
The one exception was when you could load your own mp3s into GT5 but then It didn't feel right so I stopped.
I want the game to give me the full experience that includes the sounds and the music.

I don't even watch TV while playing

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Some games I will listen to podcasts or music while I'm playing.

Animal Crossing
Slay the Spire

Stuff like this for me currently.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
When I was younger, I definitely did. There are games I associate with albums. I really don't anymore though.

Super Monkey Ball 2's soundtrack is Hello Rockview by Less Than Jake
Tony Hawk's Underground's soundtrack is both disks of the Warped Tour 2004 Compilation