• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not just talking about sleeping, although it can be that.

But over the years, I've noticed that I need more "downtime" than most people. All vitals are good, I don't have chronic fatigue or anything. I exercise and I eat right and do have energy for most of what life brings at me.

Yet, I do need the downtime to recharge. Also, it's more of a brain thing than a body thing. It can be difficult in the modern world, which is so fast paced, but I've developed systems of recovery. I get good sleep. I don't try to pack my weekends with crap. I take my PTO. I do buffer days for vacations as well.

After meetings, I'm just rocked lol. So I usually avoid back to back meetings.

Unfortunately, I feel that modern world is just made for fast paced tempo that tends to not match with my constitution. Moreover, at least in American culture, we have this obsession with speed and busyness.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I need a larger than normal amount of solitude. It's been an issue in past relationships. I spend a lot of PTO on just staycations. Idk, I just am how I am. I like it :)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
no matter how much rest I get I still shitpost badly :/

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'm positive I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm always tired. ALWAYS.

I've brought it up with my doctor multiple times but he always brushes it off. :/

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
I'm definitely introverted. I looked into it and social battery thing is a big thing.

But, even outside social recharge. I just need a recharge from thinking and life a lot of the time lol.
Its why meetings are so draining for you. I'm sure you know this but introversion-extroversion dichotomy is not about shyness or comfortability. Its really about whether people sap you of energy or energize you. It really sucks how much of an advantage this gives extroverts lol.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Its why meetings are so draining for you. I'm sure you know this but introversion-extroversion dichotomy is not about shyness or comfortability. Its really about whether people sap you of energy or energize you. It really sucks how much of an advantage this gives extroverts lol.
I do!

But I also need recharge from focused solitary work as well.

I'm positive I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm always tired. ALWAYS.

I've brought it up with my doctor multiple times but he always brushes it off. :/

Have you done a sleep study?

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Yeah it's wildly different for everyone, and age plays a huge role as well. I was, for the last two weeks, visiting friends or on events every day after work, getting home around 10 to midnight and I feel exhausted right now. But a pal I know does similar things and said to me that he feels as fit as ever. It's just how it is.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not a big rester/sleeper. I get pretty minimal sleep at night, up a lot with the kids, used to get up with the dog at all hours, and I'm not much of a napper. I can count the number of naps I've taken in 5 years on one hand.

I used to sleep pretty late, always struggled to get up for work and get to work on time in the morning, and then on the weekends I'd cruise past 10, 11am every morning. But after getting a dog I got used to getting up at... 5:30 with him... might go back to sleep for an hour but not really, and now with kids I pretty much wake up at 6:30, might sit around in bed semi-awake/semi-asleep, and thern I'm usually "up" at about 7:15 or so, weekdays or weekends. LAst weekend I was at a wedding solo and even though I *wanted* to sleep past 8 or 9, I couldn't.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten more and more exhausted after hour+ work meetings, I'm out of it for hours - if they're in the mid afternoon I'm basically mentally absent for the rest of the workday. For one-on-one meetings at least I've made explicit requests to keep them within an hour or shorter and it's helped take some of the mental fatigue out of it, but it doesn't always work. Meetings have been kind of detrimental to my productivity.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I abandoned the idea of meaningful rest sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. There's so much to do that I'll never get to die.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Can you see another doctor? Not sure where you in the world, so you may be limited I guess. Insurance?
I'm in Canada so it's free thankfully, but it's risky to leave your family doctor to try and find another, because then you have to start all over again with your prescriptions, etc. Most doctors are already full too, so I'm lucky that I do have someone I can see, even if he's stubborn.

I just wanted to vent a bit about it really lol.

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
You're the normal one by acknowledging this. It's your body telling you something, so it's best to listen to it. Overexertion is a thing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
honest I say I don't get enough rest , but whose responsibility is it that I gotta wake up in 5 hours

Mine

it's my fault

Oct 25, 2017
very introverted, need a lot of downtime in life, yes
some weeks (like this week) feel like they're tough to get through even if nothing that tough really happened. just getting through daily life can feel like a big effort sometimes

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how little rest I can run on nowadays as a result of my insomnia.

Sleep at 5am wake up at 8am, still feel fine, though I wouldn't exactly say this is a good thing...

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I need to crash for most of the day after work. I'm an introvert and I teach though, so that probably has something to do with it.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I used to spartan cram my schedule by doing all sorts of things but there was always something I fell behind. So I decided to have off workout days and the like, and it's been going swell so far?? Dunno but workload has gotten manageable that way so god bless.

no matter how much rest I get I still shitpost badly :/
Peak is early 30s methinks

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Started feeling it in the back half of my twenties. Now I need at least 2 days after a work day to fully recover.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If I don't have anything planned the worst possible thing is to spontaneously make me do something.