• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic title

• Weight system

Votes: 104 16.7%
  • Inventory slots

Votes: 517 83.3%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I really fucking hate the weight system because you never know how heavy shit is going to be, and being over encumbered is always annoying . I think inventory slots are much better l, id rather just leave that shit behind.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
All I'll say is, imagine playing an MMO, picking up loot in a dungeon run, and suddenly being weighed down.... 😵

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I enjoy weight systems, especially how it works in DD2 with how you create your character having an impact on it.

Indifferent to inventory slots.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I used the no-encumbrance mod for The Witcher 3, so... guess. 😂

I don't mind it in Souls games though. They factor in equipped gear weight, but not the rest of your inventory (I think most/all of them are like this). I love that.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
From does it the best. Equipment load has a gameplay effect, inventory load is irrelevant.

That said, encumbrance in Bethesda games is intended to provide a natural stopping place in games that don't have natural stopping places (and you're not meant to pick everything up), so I don't hate it the way a lot of people do.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Slots since it doesn't impact gameplay, but neither. Send bulk to storage automatically if the game can't handle a large on-character inventory

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Weight system.

I love storing and organizing my shit in player homes in games like TES and Fallouts. <3

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I can take a million sword slashes and potion it away but my bag can't be infinite and shit gets heavy. Let me bag all the shit.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Weight system is fucking awful but don't mind an equip load + slots kinda deal.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There are exactly zero instances where a weight system makes a game more fun. It only detracts from the experience.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Weight system is one of the worst systems ever created in gaming.

Inventory also sucks but it is miles better than weight. Just let me collect my shit without any restrictions

Oct 25, 2017
I like Resident Evil's attache case system.
Restricting, but simple.
Great for survival horror, where the items are permanent and stay where you leave them.

For most games though, just let me hold everything.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I voted inventory slots, however I think it really depends on the game. If you're playing a game where potatoes and fancy high-end swords take up one inventory slot each, then that means every potato is pointless for the swords, but you also need potatoes to heal.

Thalanil

Aug 24, 2023
Weight, the more granularity in how I can set up my inventory the better, inventory slots usually feel more limiting.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I don't think I've ever played a single game with any sort of inventory / equip limit which I thought improved the game in any way

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
I prefer a generous weight system that allows you to carry way more than your character should be comfortable with. Something like BG3.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I prefer inventory slot because most of the time a weight system involves your character walking slower or some other negative effect.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's a videogame. Let us have fun.

Get rid of weight and space limits. Stop making me run back to town to sell/store stuff.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I have taken off the weight system from every game that I played that has had one.

Every single game was made better.

I have no idea where devs get the idea that it's fun. I wonder if it's a whole "Well, everyone else has a weight system, so we have to too" from some dipshit exec.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Slots for sure.

When a game uses a weight system it usually has lots of loot (mostly crafting related items) and I don't like that, give me something like Diablo, Resident Evil or Deus Ex inventory system.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I have fun with diablo style inventory systems until you get so much crap it becomes a chore to deal with. That being said being overencumbred was miserable in bethesda games.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Slots work really well for games like resident evil where there's less items in general, but you want the player to still pick and choose what they take with them. This will usually make the player consider close to every item they pick up, and they'll be messing around with their inventory more often. Which is ok because there's less items in general and you can tell at a glance what fits and what doesn't.

Numerical weight works better for games with more items like RPGs (especially dungeon crawly ones) because you can just pick things up as you go and only consider what to leave behind every so often when you hit the weight limit. You'll still have to ignore some items sometimes, or risk giving up a healing item in order to earn more by cashing in more treasure, but you won't (or shouldn't) be constantly going in and out of the inventory.

Of course both of these generally work better in games that have more linear or traditional level design. So many games going open and expecting you to be out in the world for longer periods, weight systems of any kind skew more towards useless tedium rather than meaningful pacing or decision making.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Inventory system - easier to make decisions about what to drop if you need to, and you can see exactly how many more things you can carry.

Weight systems are just annoying.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I hate both of them. In real life I'm something of a minimalist, but in video games I want to be a hoarder.