• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic title

• Weight system

Votes: 104 16.7%
  • Inventory slots

Votes: 517 83.3%

• Total voters

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Weight system more so that gets my vote! Thinking about it slots does make the choice of what to carry and keep spare more urgent and I have to stop hoarding which is for the best, but the hoarding!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Like with many questions like these ... it all depends on the game. In TES or stuff like that I prefer a weight system, in something like FF it should be inventory slots/carry limit for items.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on the game, however weight systems are difficult to implement in gameplay without it being cumbersome, they only work for some very specific games. BotW was interesting trying to balance both, the weight of your equipped items affected gameplay but it still had slots at the end.

It has to be kind of a minimalist game where combat is not a priority, in something like Thief weight systems can add depth to the gameplay, but I really cant think of another example. In ARPGs or any kind of action game really its just awful, stay with inventory slots.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing DD2 I really don't like weight systems. Even with full upgrades at the end of the game I still never got the weight to the lower threshold, it basically may as well not exist

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
Replaying fallout (like a lot of people right now) and the weight system drives me crazy. I don't like pouring skill points into strength as my builds are always rifle / long range guns.

Having said that, I really don't like resident evil type inventory either.

I think I'd pick weight, but with a generous limit. Maybe it goes up automatically with your level etc.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
why-not-both-why-not.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Slots as long as the system is interesting.

Weight as long as there's are plenty of ways of working around it.

Encumbrance can be a great method to enforce a gameplay loop, like having to return to base, or camp, which can let to more triggers to world expansion. Game devs just need to not make the trek back to town super annoying.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I enjoy the challenge and strategy of weight systems; it adds an intriguing dimension to gameplay, imo.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I legit hate weight systems. You spend 20 hours managing invintory. Shit sucks. Game makers need to realize tedious will never equal fun.

Elden ring nailed it for me.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I legit love weight systems. You spend 20 hours making consequential decisions and actively planning ahead. Shit rules.

Stalker nailed it for me.

no hate brotha, I respect your opinion, even if mine couldn't be more different

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
weight is so fucking annoying

i absolutely hate it. it drags the multiple good games that use it down

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
like deadass it feels cool as hell to play a Fallout game in survival mode
eventually furnishing my home base with a variety of armaments and tools
and then returning to it between expeditions, planning out where I'm going to go next and what I should bring with me to tackle the obstacles I might face
do I bring this or do I bring that? and if I bring that, I can't bring this... maybe that changes my plans... maybe I take as little as I can, and use what I find to get me through? or maybe I can take everything I want and then some, because I built a big heavy mofo this playthrough and a high carry capacity is a consequence of that decision...

it's not for everyone, but it can be very rewarding depending on the context and on your threshold for immersion. it can impart a feeling of realism not just to the world, but to your playstyle, your decisionmaking, and your pathfinding. sometimes, limitations can be fun, when they enforce a style of play and progression that feels real, or deeper, or more rewarding than the more straightforward alternatives.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How heavy was your armor?
Can't remember exactly but it was the last set other than the WLC purchased ones, thief set upgraded to dragonforged. Between that and a few necessities like the spare port crystal, wakestones and ferrystones I was always in the second bar for weight.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely when has a weight limit for inventory ever been fun. Seriously, name me one game it added to the experience instead of just making it interruptive busy work. Just one.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I guess slots are better, but too limited (in design, not space) for some games, which is where weight needs to step in.
Genuinely when has a weight limit for inventory ever been fun. Seriously, name me one game it added to the experience instead of just making it interruptive busy work. Just one.
Dave the Diver, Death Stranding, Outward.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

Some people actually like the strategic aspect of planning around weight, especially since it often corresponds with gameplay.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma 2 made me a fan of weight limits. Just further reinforced the gameplay loop and keeping my hoarding tendencies in check

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
like deadass it feels cool as hell to play a Fallout game in survival mode
eventually furnishing my home base with a variety of armaments and tools
and then returning to it between expeditions, planning out where I'm going to go next and what I should bring with me to tackle the obstacles I might face
do I bring this or do I bring that? and if I bring that, I can't bring this... maybe that changes my plans... maybe I take as little as I can, and use what I find to get me through? or maybe I can take everything I want and then some, because I built a big heavy mofo this playthrough and a high carry capacity is a consequence of that decision...

it's not for everyone, but it can be very rewarding depending on the context and on your threshold for immersion. it can impart a feeling of realism not just to the world, but to your playstyle, your decisionmaking, and your pathfinding. sometimes, limitations can be fun, when they enforce a style of play and progression that feels real, or deeper, or more rewarding than the more straightforward alternatives.

The problem is that most games are so piss easy nowadays that advanced prep-work like that isn't required unless you're being extra and trying to get as much out of the game as possible.

It's why grid > weight any day, at least there's more thought put to that and can be fun, even if the inventory management isn't required.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is that for an overall inventory weight limit or an equip weight system?
Depending on the server and the mods in use, it was either the former, or both.

Course, with early DayZ, the name of the game was realism for the sake of emergent decisionmaking between players. So those kinds of mechanics played well with everything else by adding another layer of consideration to your every move.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite to many here, I like either but I wish they'd sometimes go even further and force you to only carry the absolute essentials without penalty, and the character would have a bag or something that makes sense. It's fine to have abstractions for games that suit them, but it seems like it's every game that has these "carry everything" abstractions. I think it'd be fun to, on occasion, NOT be expected to loot every home I enter in an open world RPG.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
After finishing DD2 I really don't like weight systems. Even with full upgrades at the end of the game I still never got the weight to the lower threshold, it basically may as well not exist

the first level is there just to taunt you, wouldn't be the same without it

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that encumbrance is older than vidja games itself and has been ignored by people longer than gaming has had the stat...which is actually pretty early on as it shows up in plenty of early dungeon crawls.

Only masochists and arch realists like encumbrance.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that most games are so piss easy nowadays that advanced prep-work like that isn't required unless you're being extra and trying to get as much out of the game as possible.

It's why grid > weight any day, at least there's more thought put to that and can be fun, even if the inventory management isn't required.
You're painting with quite a broad brush there.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I'd rather walked encumbered than leave shit behind. Giving you an item limit in any game with a ton of items is INSANITY and I cannot comprehend why anyone would vote for it. Like inventory slots is are hard cut, you can decide with weight management what to leave or what to take, but this is the game stopping you entirely from getting an item.

But outside of that any game with an item limit usually is not one where items really matter for the economy of the game and in these games there is usually a different menu for special item that do not take up normal space.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
You're painting with quite a broad brush there.

True, there are always going to be exceptions, we do get over 100 new games every week after all.

But what I said still holds true to me. Aside from grid management, weight management has always ALWAYS made a game less fun for me than more fun. (For example with Stalker, I kept the grid but took off the weight lol)

I know this because I'll play games with the weight, then mod it out, and it is always more fun when it is taken out. Even when it has gameplay consequences.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Inventory Slots, I really dislike the weight system. Even worse if they do both at once (Baldur's Gate 2...)

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i don't like weight systems and modding them out of games like witcher 3 or bethesda games tends to make the games better

but I did sort of appreciate being at the end of the dead money dlc and not being able to loot all the spoils at the end, felt appropriate.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Anything but a weight limit. It's particularly annoying in games where crafting ingredients have weight, like The Witcher 3 before they wisely patched that out. I don't want to micromanage dozens of items to be able to pick up something I want.

Gothic 1 and 2 had an unlimited inventory and I don't remember anyone saying they were less of an RPG for it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
True, there are always going to be exceptions, we do get over 100 new games every week after all.

But what I said still holds true to me. Aside from grid management, weight management has always ALWAYS made a game less fun for me than more fun. (For example with Stalker, I kept the grid but took off the weight lol)

I know this because I'll play games with the weight, then mod it out, and it is always more fun when it is taken out. Even when it has gameplay consequences.
To each their own, I suppose. I don't think Tears of the Kingdom would be a better game with carry weight, for instance, but I would personally have a lot less fun with Stalker if the game weren't forcing me to make decisions relating to weight on a regular basis. I like being told 'you can only hold this much', sometimes, for the reasons I highlighted above.

Oftentimes, when I don't like how a game handles weight and encumbrance, it's because of how it's balanced, or because the system doesn't interact well with the rest of the game's design or mechanics. I mean, that's how people who don't like weight and encumbrance always feel, so it's not like I don't get it, lol. That said, for every dime-a-dozen survival game or launch Fallout 76 or Witcher 3 - games where inventory weight adds little to the experience but busywork, even for me - there'll be a game like ArmA or (IMO) modded survival Fallout (or Stalker) where the presence of that system sucks me in and immerses me even more.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Anything that has a weight limit I'm buying on PC and modding out. People who are console only are really suffer through this shit.

The other one is merchants that only have a limited amount of money. Fuck that. Mid that out.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I would generally go for Inventory as Weight systems are often just annoying, but recently Death Stranding showed me how fun it can get to manage your weight, the fact that you can actually see everything you are carrying and adding the element of placement affecting balance made it very engaging for me.

ridicium

Dec 7, 2023
Echoing what some of you already stated, but it really depends on the situation.

I voted slots, because I think more games have badly designed weight systems than slots, but that may just be by virtue of games having slots generally having less items to keep track of.

If I remember correctly, Divinity: original sin had both weight, as well as slots (bags, which were in effect unlimited, so it ended up being a weight system in practice). Trouble is there was too much worthless stuff, and I really hated inventory management in that game.
I usually tend to dislike it in The elder scrolls/fallout games as well, but that may be on me hoarding until I am close to the weight limit, but never unloading ("I might have a use for this in the next dungeon").

I guess I generally like games with meaningful loot more than loot overload, and with that in mind, inventory slots make more sense. Although I really like the idea of having weight have gameplay consequences

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Neither.

If there's inventory management you bet your ass I'm bypassing it somehow.

If I'm forced to choose though, by weight.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Even though there's more... "flexibility" with a weight-based inventory system, I'd take a Resident Evil slots-based inventory any day of the week.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
IMO DD2 does it really well because its easy to just shove stuff on your main pawn, and the system of finding gold bugs to increase it slightly is really neat.
Also in that game weight and height etc plays a part in almost every game system

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
weight stuff is neat insofar as it impacts movement speed in some games/turns into a sim element

but otherwise, inventory slots (as long as there are items that take up multiple slots, as in resident evil 4's famous briefcase inventory) are literally an easier-to-parse visual metaphor for solving exactly the same problem more quickly