• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you self-insert?

• All the time!

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • Only when I can customize my character appearance

Votes: 66 9.9%
  • Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't

Votes: 193 28.8%
  • Never!

Votes: 366 54.6%

• Total voters

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Ew I can't imagine creating myself. No thanks. I usually create characters I've thought up in my head. I've made the same few characters for years. At most I'll give them traits or features I personally like or admire, like muscles.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Occasionally. I think it makes sense in a certain kind of game, like Pokemon Go or Wii Sports.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Never, i'm in a fantasy world to get away from myself, to be anyone else. I'll pick a character that looks the opposite of me every time

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Only in MMO's to a certain point. Otherwise, i create the ugliest funny looking characters i can
You should all see my Dark Souls characters.

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If the character is supposed to actually represent the real world version of me, I'll probably make the avatar look at least semi close to myself in some way.

For anything where I'm creating an original character, I'm not creating myself.

Risitas

May 13, 2022
When I was 4-15 years old I used to self-insert all the time when I could create a character, like a perfect future version of me with my name.
In Skyrim I was myself, the invincible super cool and strong warrior. In The Sims 2/3 I was myself, the richest and most beautiful man on earth lol

Now these days I can really create myself in games (kinda, can't really be accurate because some of my facial features don't exist according to some games) and I can even put my real height in NBA 2K and play a meta build. But I never do because it's more fun to create random guys with a lore invented in 5 seconds, I used to always play male human now I don't.

Now If we talk self-insert in games with no character creation and with story choices like The Witcher 1/2/3 I prefer chosing the lore-accurate choices

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Always. I want to play as the most badass and cool characters around. So why wouldn't I play as myself haha

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Never. I prefer to "make" a character based on my preferences but I never try to self-insert.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's complicated. I certainly don't recreate myself in character creators. I have done it in the past and nowadays I just think it looks stupid. Running through the Mass Effect universe with a Shepard that vaguely resembles me... like, who am I kidding there? I don't look like that. I can't do that stuff.

But I do have a go-to look for most of my characters, which over the years I have come to identify with to the point that when I think of 'video game me', I think of that look. So any time I recreate that look in a new game, it does kind of feel like I'm self-insering. If that makes sense?

I'm certainly not someone with a lot of imagination. Take Baldur's Gate 3 for example. All these races and backgrounds, but I always pick an elf or a tiefling with similar backstories and moralities. I admire people who can come up with the wildest shit and just roll with it.

Nm6k2001

Oct 28, 2023
I very much enjoy coming with different characters in games where I can make my own characters. With a range from goody two shores to mercenaries with some morals to power hungry jerks and more. The only thing that always the same is that they are bi. (I very rarely play games nowadays that have romance options that are all straight especially for games that have player customization)

Last edited:

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Never. It's a role I play. A very righteous paladin or self serving vampire etc. "Me" would never make those kind of choices. Attack a dragon? Nah, I'm good.

I know people who do it in every game they can make "themselves" and I always find it weird. Not to yuck anyone's yum.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
I role play as myself on a daily basis, so don't need to do that in games.

Generally, I make my characters look like my wife, since she's hot and I prefer to look at her instead of my self. At the very least, female > male given the option.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Back when I was younger I would. But for the last 10-15 years (jeez I'm getting old) I never do. Now I'm mostly creating female characters or a goofy looking one if I'm replaying a game.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Even when I can make my own character I end up making a character with a distinct personality and backstory. For example I have multiple whole notes in my phone filled with my FF14 Warrior of Light's backstory, personality, and thoughts. The last time I self-inserted was in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, but usually even in Pokemon I try to make a character distinct from myself.

Kick13

Apr 1, 2022
Depends. I couldn't care less about character creators not that I play many games with it but even in the games that I have played I just roll with the default option.

Dialogue Decision/choices on the other hand I do sometimes self insert. That's why I have never done a renegade playthrough of mass effect.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Most games i play as a female but.... if it's stardew or pacha, I'm going for the cute sprite version of myself with name included. Same with old school final fantasy games, it's me. And sometimes very rarely it's just some funny looking dude, animal, alien. Really depends on the game.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Never. I need an established character. Mute or not, bland personality or charmer, it doesn't matter. Like, Link is Link. I am not Link or "The Hero of [fill in the blank]."

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
On games with a good character creator I like to make myself to the best of my ability, but only appearance wise. I usually play against my personality.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Sort of - will make a generic avatar similar, if not perhaps exaggerated. But like Mass Effect for example, I'm just using default John Shepard because I don't want to customize an actual character lol.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I almost never do, but for some reason in Pokemon I do. Haha. But otherwise I almost never make myself.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nah, I use them fully as an escape nowadays. Even in games where my name works, like Fallout, I will not use my name anymore. Wouldn't even dream of it in games like Persona where hearing my name would throw me right out of the game.

Never tried to make them look like me either.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
This is literally me

Mar 30, 2019
Nope, I like a wide variety. Sometimes it's default, sometimes they need green skin and a wild lick of color or 'tude. No, I'm me.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
When I was a kid I would usually just make my idealized self. Nowadays an adult I don't, I just make whatever character seems cool and awesome for the game in question.

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, most of the time I play as a woman and if I play as a man, I don't make him look like me. I do tend to stick to the choices I would make, however, so maybe I'm inserting myself in a bit? Then again, sometimes I pick the choices I feel fit the character most.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Never, I always try to make Jill Valentine, Rebecca Chambers, or Claire Redfield, depending on the female hairstyles available; most times it'll have one close enough to one of them.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Never.

I do have characters I came up with that I try to recreate the look of in every game when there is a character creator and have specific names for them.

Otherwise I prefer defined characters. I am the type of player that names their character in pokemon with "canon" names.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
No, I have enough of myself in everyday life. If I can customize a character I deliberately make them very different to me. Skintone and/or gender. Length and girth. Let me have a little vacation from being me.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Every time when story is involved. I always put myself into the MC's position and make decisions as if they were me.

For fighting games/Pokemon second playthroughs I usually pick female characters though.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Rarely. I think the OG mass effect trilogy was the last time I did it.

Other games I just prefer the female voice or I want to be an insane person .

ridicium

Dec 7, 2023
Every game is an isekai starring me.

This. Whenever I can affect character appearance, I tend to create some (idealised) version of me. That does not mean I cannot role-play. It just means it comes more naturally to me, as I can use my own reaction to events in the game as the characters motivation. Or perhaps I just lack imagination ;).

For characters with a set appearance I tend to come up with some kind of motivation for their choices throughout the game as well (a recent example was mass effect, going full renegade in 1, but leaning more paragon in 2 as a result of the trauma experienced in the game's opening.), so I tend to role-play whatever character I'm playing as.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I do it a lot and am actually surprised that most people don't.

I have no imagination and usually creates characters similar to me. But I suck at creating them, so they just end up weird as fuck

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nah, a lot of the appeal of video games to me is playing as a character that looks nothing like me in real life.