OP
OP
Viewt

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
yes i do. also, the picture in the op isnt exactly accurate representation. those are plates from a revolving sushi joint, stacking them by color is kind of the expected way to tally up your total for the meal. very much different than eating at a traditional restaurant.
For sure! To clarify, I just threw that picture in the OP because I thought it looked a little plain and I figured having a stack of plates would immediately contextualize the question for folks. Didn't mean to create that confusion! Mea culpa. :)

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
If we're still hanging out for a little while and need to make room, sure. I've never stacked dishes at the table thinking "time to get helpful, yo".

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yes i do. also, the picture in the op isnt exactly accurate representation. those are plates from a revolving sushi joint, stacking them by color is kind of the expected way to tally up your total for the meal. very much different than eating at a traditional restaurant.
That image is driving me crazy and I hate it.

Oct 25, 2017
If I have to stack plates, that means the server isn't clearing my table quickly enough.

My exact thoughts. I have been a waiter, and if the table is getting to a point where multiple people are done and I haven't been back to take their plates, I'm doing a poor job. However, when I waited tables, the complaint in the article that a stack of dishes indicates "hey, need some help over here!" is completely valid....except that it's true and it means I should be doing better.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Never even considered doing it. They have to set up in such a specific way so they're easy to carry that I don't even try, and leave it to the pros.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man. As someone who was a server and bartender for years... what a dumb complaint by the person in the article. Of all the little things to get annoyed over.

Hilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I do. I also tend to wipe down the table. Mainly because I have little kids that make a huge mess and I feel bad about the server having to clean it all up.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Usually just my own plates, if there's more than one. Then I put my cutlery and napkin on one of the plates.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, stack them up in an orderly way, with any remaining food, sliverware, and trash on top. Bowls or other dishes get their own stacks. I also wipe down the table to clean up after myself and others, thought I know they'll still do it again. I'm not sure two waitresses' thoughts will get me to stop.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Once I've finished I'll stack my plates and if the server hasn't cleared them away within about 30 seconds I'll make eye contact with them and push the stack off the edge.

33.gif

But really though I don't even stack beyond putting my silverware on my plate which I assume everyone does. I'll just pass my stuff down towards the server but on the table. I used to be a waiter and I don't think customers ever stacked stuff for me so I've never really thought about it before. Everyone has their own way of sorting plates and leftovers so they're easy to carry that I feel it's best leaving it to them.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sometimes, but usually only if I'm sure I can do it in a way that makes things easier for the server and not harder. Like if it's only a couple plates or something. Making a towering stack like in the picture is bad news.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Stop sending me mixed signals then when you act all appreciative when I've stacked them up.

And are people really anal about the timing for clearing the table? I don't really care, just keep bringing the drinks.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
Not all the plates at the table, no. I just neatly pile my own plate and silverware. I'm sure many servers have a system and I don't want to disrupt it.

In my experience, putting the plates at the end of the table is more helpful than anything else.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
yea, i bus my own plate. My girlfriend will do the whole table, but only because she's worked in restaurants and knows how quick the busboys and servers gotta work in some joints.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes.

I know someone who chooses to tip less because she clears the table and wipes it off before the server can.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It actually usually is more than unhelpful than helpful.

The worst is people physically handing you their plate when you already have a bunch of shit in your hands.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't often go to buffet style restaurants where I have multiple plates. My family does sometimes go to places where I'll get a salad before my dinner, or at one place, a salad, a stir fry and a plate of fries. I do sometimes stack the salad bowl and the plate, or the plate and stir fry bowl, but the latter one usually takes the finished or empty salad bowl before the other stuff comes. I try to be helpful, and it's not like I'm stacking lots of dishes.

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
I don't do it to make your job easier, I do it to satisfy the little OCD that eats at me. And I don't do a shitty staking job, it's immaculate thank you.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
only a couple times at the buffet when the bussers were a bit slow to clear the table. maybe some bread or condiment dishes when the tables fills up and the main course arrives and there is no space. also utensils and trash on top.

Oct 31, 2017
I do stack my plates, but I also try to make sure to have disposable trash on the top level, same with silverware. I also move my plates and glasses to the center of the table and closer to the edge.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do, I sometimes walk them over to the kitchen too, AND I always leave 30%.

No but seriously, I do stack them. Not because I want to help them or whatever. Just because I don't need them reaching over the table and doing a bunch of shit while trying to conversate with the rest of the table.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stack them to get them out of the way, and yes it does mean the waiter is not doing their job. This is usually only an issue at buffets and those sushi train places though.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I do find myself doing this in cheap diners especially when they aren't coming around quick enough to clear the table. It's never been brought up as an issue all the times I've done it.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do it most of the time. Don't have much else to do while waiting for the check.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I don't wanna fuck with whatever system they have just to try to seem helpful.

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
I always stack plates. Not in a huge messy pile like the way the article in the OP described though. Most of my friends are servers and they all say they'd prefer people stack plates if they do it properly, since it saves them time. I think the person who wrote that article is a bit too self conscious.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I worked in food service until about six months ago. After working that job, I started stacking plates. It makes it so much easier for servers, in my experience. Of course, I make sure not to leave any garbage tucked in between them, 'cause that's a dick move. I always consolidate all food waste and utensils onto the top plate. I say five plates is probably a max capacity stack.

I've never had a manager who cared about seeing stacked plates. It's just more efficient in every way.

That "I'm not done yet death glare" is a perceived thing, I'd say. Who would get seriously upset that a server was coming to help?

This is ABSOLUTELY a thing. I've been berated for trying to pick up plates with a shred of garnish on them.