• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Typically, no, as a former restaurant server I hated when customers did this because it' djust get everything disgusting and messy taking it away. 90% of the time it was worse for me. I also had a system for taking plates away, and plates that were stacked by the diner would be riskier for me then plates that I know I stacked myself. Most times when a server drops a plate and it smashed, you can best bet it's because someone stacked a plate poorly and it slid off.

Sometimes, yes, but it's typically just to indicate to an inattentive server that "I'm done with this... you should take it away..." Doesn't happen often, but at the big chains a lot of servers are clueless about letting dirty plates pile up. It's probably my biggest pet peeve, and sometimes I'll have to make room on my table when a server isn't being attentive to clean up.

SiK SiNr1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles, Ca
I do and fuck her ungrateful ass.... I mostly do it to get them out of my face though. I don't like waiters/waitresses hanging over the table with their shit all in my shit. So I stack shit up so they can just grab and go.

Nov 17, 2017
Interesting, yeah I never did because I figured the waiters had a system for how they cleaned up the table. Guess that was right.

Besides, I'm tipping them for service so I never really felt the need to help them clear the table.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
often, but not always. I haven't been a server for almost a decade. I used to be more conscientious about being more helpful during and right after my stint, but as I've gotten older I've regressed to the mean, so to speak.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, always. My wife hav2 kids who make a mess so every time we're done eating at a restaurant we will stack plates and put silverware and napkins on the top play and then wipe down the entire table to make things easier for the busser. We'll do the same at fast food places, except throw away all our trash.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but only if it'll require the person to reach far into the table to get their plate/trash.

ETA- like it's written in the OP, most people are bad at stacking. Don't put napkins and shit in between the plates, dont put plates with food under other plates with food, etc.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The concept that anybody does this at a restaurant with table service is insane to me. This must be one of those weird American things like clapping when a plane lands and cheering in a cinema.

Some of you people seriously go out to a restaurant and stack your dirty dishes when you're done? Mindblowing.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept that anybody does this at a restaurant with table service is insane to me. This must be one of those weird American things like clapping when a plane lands and cheering in a cinema.

Some of you people seriously go out to a restaurant and stack your dirty dishes when you're done? Mindblowing.

Why not? It's perceived as making someone's day a bit easier with practically zero effort.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
No.

It makes the server/bus boy's job harder.

I think everyone in the world should have to work 6 month as a server and 6 months in retail before graduating high school. It will teach empathy and make the world a better place

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No.

It makes the server/bus boy's job harder.

I think everyone in the world should have to work 6 month as a server and 6 months in retail before graduating high school. It will teach empathy and make the world a better place

Ah fuck really? I thought it was helping out.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's just two of us and we are at a tiny ass table with little surface room, then fuck yes I'm stacking when we are done. If there's plenty of room on the table then no, we don't stack.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Boy, you must not get out much if the idea of stacking plates to help the server is mind blowing.

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
No it actually makes their job harder, also it's not my job to stack my plates, I paid to eat, not clean.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I have an appetizer dish or soup bowl or something on the side I'll stack it but I don't do it for the whole table. That's too much work for something that apparently isn't even appreciated anyway.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The concept that anybody does this at a restaurant with table service is insane to me. This must be one of those weird American things

What makes you think this is something only Americans do?

Only if the plates are clean and stack well. If not I leave them side by side.

That's how my wife and I do it. On more than once occasion the server has thanked us for making their lives easier. There is always some downtime after finishing a meal before the server comes to take away the plates, so it's not putting us out in any way to move them around slightly while we talk. And as people pointed out in the comments, sometimes there are too many plates for the available table space so you will run out of room if you don't do some stacking.

Last edited:

wizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California
I only stack if they have been there awhile or if its a small table. The whole its not my job to clean is what those disgusting trash monsters at theatres say.

Nov 2, 2017
Never really needed to stack anything unless it was to make room because the table was transitioning from one course to the next. Even at that point the waiter(s) just take them as they hand out the next course or when they check up on the table.

The only time I've seen stacks is on DBZ.

4456555-3102728690-tumbl.png

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
Only when we go out for wings and nachos, as I will usually stack the plastic wing containers to make more room as we go (remove the paper liner and put those all together as well, so the container doesn't get dirty). We have had the same server for the last 6-7 years, and he has always been super grateful for the help.

Going tonight, and I will stack the hell out of them to spite all you non stackers.

Oct 27, 2017
I have at times but not always. When I go to a sit down restaurant it's almost always been parties of two to four. I try to leave the table in a relatively neat space with napkins and cutlery on the plates and the plates stacked if it makes sense.
At fast food joints I always clear the table and dump everything left over in the garbage and leave the tray on top of the garbage can where they have a space dedicated to them.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I get the point of offering simple kindnesses, it takes almost nothing from you but at the same point I'm not only paying for service which is calculated into the cost of the food, but then I'm expected to tip for a service as well because restaurant owners can;t pay their employees a decent wage.

If I'm both paying for and tipping for a service I'm not going to do that service.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I typically don't stack things because I assume I probably won't do it to that server's liking and just create more work when they have to readjust the pile. I'll scoot everything I'm done with into the same area but try to leave it unstacked.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I stack my stuff when my server is enroute because I'm not a philistine and know that you match like with like.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend does it, but she separates the utensils from the plates and such

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
We don't do it because my wife was a server once and she explained that the majority of the time it makes the server's job harder.

I understand doing it to clear space if needed, but not for any other reason.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes I do. I worked in service industry for 8 years, and know when it is appropriate/appreciated and when it is unnecessary.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yes I do. That article in the original post is nonsense, and nobody stacks plates the way the waitress described in the article. At least, the vast majority don't. You already need to be a fairly conscientious person to stack in the first place, and most of those people surely have the sense to stack plates in a way that makes things easier for the servers, busboys, and dishwashers.

While we're at it, I also block and face items in supermarkets when I can. I don't go out of my way to do it, but if I see something within reach that will take only a couple of seconds and make someone else's job easier, then I'm happy to do it.

I also think people who take up space in busy cafes, chatting away long after they've finished their drinks, while there are lots of other people waiting to sit, are inconsiderate. They certainly have the right to stay and chat as long as the store doesn't have rules against it, but in my opinion it's kind of an asshole thing to do.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yes I do. That article in the original post is nonsense, and nobody stacks plates the way the waitress described in the article. At least, the vast majority don't. You already need to be a fairly conscientious person to stack in the first place, and most of those people surely have the sense to stack plates in a way that makes things easier for the servers, busboys, and dishwashers.

While we're at it, I also block and face items in supermarkets when I can. I don't go out of my way to do it, but if I see something within reach that will take only a couple of seconds and make someone else's job easier, then I'm happy to do it.

I also think people who take up space in busy cafes, chatting away long after they've finished their drinks, while there are lots of other people waiting to sit, are inconsiderate. They certainly have the right to stay and chat as long as the store doesn't have rules against it, but in my opinion it's kind of an asshole thing to do.
My wife had the same feedback as in the OP for me because from her time as a server she knows that you can't really predict or know what their system is. So I guess I don't understand why you would go out of your way to do something that several people in the profession have said isn't helpful?Unless you need space or something

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
My wife had the same feedback as in the OP for me because from her time as a server she knows that you can't really predict or know what their system is. So I guess I don't understand why you would go out of your way to do something that several people in the profession have said isn't helpful?Unless you need space or something

Well, as others have said in the thread, there are helpful and unhelpful ways. You can easily look around and see how the waitstaff collect the plates or see if busboys come out and put everything in those big plastic bins. It's simple observation that requires very little effort. If you stack according to how you want to stack without any regard to how the staff might want things stacked, even though it's observable, then yeah, it might hinder more than it helps.

I've also been in the profession and the vast, vast majority of people who have stacked plates for me have been a Godsend.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Well, as others have said in the thread, there are helpful and unhelpful ways. You can easily look around and see how the waitstaff collect the plates or see if busboys come out and put everything in those big plastic bins. It's simple observation that requires very little effort. If you stack according to how you want to stack without any regard to how the staff might want things stacked, even though it's observable, then yeah, it might hinder more than it helps.

I've also been in the profession and the vast, vast majority of people who have stacked plates for me have been a Godsend.
That's fair. Maybe we can agree (and I'm not saying you said otherwise), that since there's mixed feedback, it's not really *inconsiderate* for someone to not stack their plates. At the same time, if done conscientiously, it's not detrimental and often can help.

Oct 27, 2017
I find the complaints in the article odd. I've seen very few people lacking common sense to the degree that a pile of plates would be stacked as described in the article in the original post (and would clearly cause additional bother when stacked in such a manner). I find a few of the assertions it makes very bizarre, such as the suggestion that it screams 'looking for help' or that it looks 'impatient'.

I would always assist in the clearing of dirty plates on the table so that the waiter, when free, can clear the table in a quicker and easier manner rather than having to go around to everybody individually and potentially make a number of trips. Yes it's their job, but they're still people and empathy doesn't go astray; I wouldn't want somebody making my job tougher so I don't see why I should be so inconsiderate as to make it more difficult for others.

Having worked as a waiter in a hotel for a number of months, I absolutely appreciated when people took the time to make clearing the table much quicker and more efficient. It wasn't 'frowned upon' at all, and I can honestly say I never once encountered the situation the original article describes.