• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
We have three huge events, Avengers: Endgame, the end of the Game of Thrones, and the final film of the Skywalker saga in Star Wars. All three of these events have been highly anticipated for almost a decade now, and their respective genres have only grown more popular with the wait.

With those series concluding, I can't see anything on the horizon that matches these pop culture events, we have the LOTR series from Amazon coming, but I doubt even that will rival how big these media were. There's the GOT prequel and the Mandalorian, but I think those have much more niche appeal than the content they're spun off of.

After this, do you see the popularity of these fantasy and escapist genres declining? What's the next big pop culture fixation going into the next decade?

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I feel like Game of Thrones is gonna be it for live action fantasy for awhile. All the post GoT shows won't do as well i think. The hard thing about live action fantasy is that a lot of it is just people with costumes in the woods. I feel like the general public just doesn't like the genre as much as sci-fi or super heroes.

Me personally? I read fantasy novels, watch fantasy anime/manga, watch live action fantasy shows, listen to power metal. I'm an absolute megafan of the genre but I just don't see it having many cultural legs post GoT. Kinda hope i'm wrong though. I'd love for the Kingkiller movies to be great and i'd also like a Gentleman Bastards TV show.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but only in film/tv. For games and books nothing huge has popped yet.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I would say that for comedies too
The finales of Veep, You're the Worst, Broad City, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin, Veep and Big Bang Theory are all this year.
Arrow, architect of the Arrowverse is ending this year too.

Not to mention the return of Attack on Titan and One Punch Man.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos is a household name, nah. It's time to get weird. It will not peek until there are babies beeing named Sersi, Ikkaris, and Sleepwalker

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Villeneuve's Dune is coming out next year tho
source.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not rest until I get to watch Doctor Doom steal the power of the Beyonders to destroy and remake the entire multiverse on a movie theater screen

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Star wars, John Malkovich, matrix, the mummy, sixth sense, iron giant.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
2019 sees the big/small screen ending of 3 classic scifi fantasy classic stories.

Infinity Saga
A Song of Ice and Fire
and...

Dark Phoenix saga

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It is.

It's gonna be interesting seeing what comes next. This can't last forever.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It doesn't feel like it to me. Then again, I'm sick of superhero movies and Star Wars now, though I loved Star Wars before.

I was more excited in the past.

OP
OP
ImTheresaMay

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
It doesn't feel like it to me. Then again, I'm sick of superhero movies and Star Wars now, though I loved Star Wars before.

I was more excited in the past.

This is what I'm talking about. I think we're reaching a point of so much saturation of media that eventually the excitement and interest with these genres will go away and the cultural zeitgeist will move onto something new.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This is what I'm talking about. I think we're reaching a point of so much saturation of media that eventually the excitement and interest with these genres will go away and the cultural zeitgeist will move onto something new.

It's just too much. Overload. You hear about these things every day, people won't stop talking about them, and there's something new every month it seems.

I loved Star Wars growing up, and got excited when the prequels came out. Also got kind of excited for the new ones, but none of them set my world on fire or felt like they had the same charm. I enjoyed watching them, but once was enough.

Superhero movies have just become annoying at this point. I used to enjoy them, but am sick of the Marvel machine. More sick of hearing about them as if they're Citizen Kane all the time.

Then again, my depression has made it hard to get excited for many things. I can still get excited for some though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame, Season 8 of Game of Thrones and The Rise of Skywalker is peak craziness, entertainment media might as well just give up.

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
9/11 and the Bush administration? 2008 recession?

Don't let facts get in the way of a flimsy hypothesis!

I mean, I'm a millennial and I'm largely referring to my childhood, not my teenage years.

But I'll take your points, I guess I'm an earlier millennial as I was born in '88 and that label extends to about '96. But still, even during those times what I remember just as vividly as the crises are the coping mechanisms.

Sheesh, I'm no rocket surgeon youse guys.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Doesn't feel like it to me for Sci-Fi

But fantasy and super heros yeah.

The genre I want to become popular in the West again is thriller.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is definitely the peak for Marvel movies. The hype for Endgame was just too over the top, it will never be exceeded.

OP
OP
ImTheresaMay

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
You never know man, as long as kevin feige is the head of marvel studios any thing is possible.

I think your overestimating his ability. There's only so much you can do with superheroes.

I can still see comic book movies being profitable, but it'll no longer be as widespread as it used to.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
It would certainly take some massive IP's to top what 2019 is doing. There's nothing current that could beat that trifecta.

Oct 25, 2017
BR2049 flopping will never not piss me off.
Maybe don't spend that amount of money to make a sequel to a movie that bombed decades ago and was equally boring.

I felt bad initially, but after seeing the budget it was like, what did you think was going to happen? And I don't even think to movie is as good as everyone insists.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I was a big proponent of the year 1999, but this is 1986

Str trek 4
Short circuit
Tranasofrmers movie
Aleins
Stand by me
Bluye v elvet
The fly
Big btoruble little china

Uncompamrable

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Game of Thrones is gonna be it for live action fantasy for awhile. All the post GoT shows won't do as well i think. The hard thing about live action fantasy is that a lot of it is just people with costumes in the woods. I feel like the general public just doesn't like the genre as much as sci-fi or super heroes.

Me personally? I read fantasy novels, watch fantasy anime/manga, watch live action fantasy shows, listen to power metal. I'm an absolute megafan of the genre but I just don't see it having many cultural legs post GoT. Kinda hope i'm wrong though. I'd love for the Kingkiller movies to be great and i'd also like a Gentleman Bastards TV show.
If the LotR show is done right, it could be something special.

Oct 27, 2017
Sci-fi? Traditional Sci-fi hasn't even been popular enough in recent years to reach a peak. John Carter flopped, Star trek beyond flopped, Blade Runner flopped, Jupiter Ascending flopped, Valerian flopped, Alita struggled to break even.etc The general public doesn't seem to care a lot about the genre outside of tv.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the trend will likely end once Trump is out of office. I think the desire to avoid reality has kicked into overdrive after Black November.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
2024?

Most likely will happen in this timeframe

Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic
MCU - X-Men
MCU - Fantastic Four

Not sure if will happen in this timeframe

DC - ??? (Maybe Justice League 2?? Or technically a reboot)
Cyberpunk 2077 The Series or movie?

Oct 27, 2017
Sci-fi? Traditional Sci-fi hasn't even been popular enough in recent years to reach a peak. John Carter flopped, Star trek beyond flopped, Blade Runner flopped, Jupiter Ascending flopped, Valerian flopped, Alita struggled to break even.etc The general public doesn't seem to care a lot about the genre outside of tv.
Or Nolan

Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic
Lol, some people are really taking an off hand comment acknowledging KOTOR seriously, huh?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Are we talking about quality or popularity? If the former than hell no for me. If you're talking about popularity it's hard to say. Sure GoT and end game are both huge but who knows what will come in the future.