• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback just be a fad or will they be a paradigm shift?

• Fad

Votes: 569 38.1%
  • Paradigm shift

Votes: 289 19.4%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 634 42.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remembered when I thought that hd rumble would be the coolest shit... I dont think I've ever noticed it on my switch.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Think it'll be somewhere in between, but hope it's something that gets embraced by developers and further built on going forward... especially adaptive triggers, as that stuff can be used to deliver multiple inputs via the same button is some cases.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This doesn't make sense to me. The touchpad and the lightbar were obviously more gimmicky and didn't have as many practical applications (the touchpad was a bit more useful than the lightbar).

But adaptive triggers directly impact the core gameplay of any given game. Adaptive triggers will affect the shooting in Call of Duty, the driving in Watch Dogs, etc. When a feature affects the activities that are the entire basis of the game itself, how could that be anything other than integral?
I'm inclined to agree with you. Rather than introducing a completely new input method or button, they are updating two of the most-commonly used buttons on the controller. The problem with third party multiplat adoption will always remain though since those games can't be designed with that feature in mind because PC/Xbox/Switch don't have it.
I do think we'll see some light incorporation in third party games, especially shooters and racers, but it won't be anything paradigm-shifting unless the other platforms add that feature too. We'll see some cool things on PS5 exclusives

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
The trigger stuff is an evolution of Xbox One's triggers rumble, which was already fantastic. In racing and shooting games, for instance, it made me effectively ditch the Ps4 version, even when multiplats used to run better vs. original Xbox One. It's such a nice addition in F1 for example, when you get feedback on the triggers because you are about to loose traction or you brakes are about to lock, there's no comparison with a sterile trigger.

So it seems it's a legitimate direction companies are going to, not a fad. No paradigm shift, tho.
Seems it's here to stay and we're better for it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They'll definitely be used quite a bit in first-party games, but your mileage may vary on third-party games. For reference, Sony's only now realizing the potential of the gyroscope.

Also the only proper impressions are from a game designed to show it off.

The stuff as described in other games like the double barrel shotgun in ratchet sounds insanely good but obviously won't be in multiplatform games.

Still, I'm optimistic.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I remembered when I thought that hd rumble would be the coolest shit... I dont think I've ever noticed it on my switch.

This is a much superior implementation and alongside the other new tech in the controller creates a more immersive experience.

I don't see the problem in having or being for tech that increases immersion.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping it's a shift, but believe it will be a fad.

When was the last time it wasn't? Rumble?

So it could happen, but it's unlikely.

This is a much superior implementation and alongside the other new tech in the controller creates a more immersive experience.

I don't see the problem in having or being for tech that increases immersion.

This has a better HD Rumble? So we'll be able to count the ice cubes thing as well? I always thought that was neat.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
It's hard to say without trying it for myself. Rumble functionality sounds really pointless until you actually try it out. However if this was going to be the next big thing, it would need to be adopted by more than just 1st party developers. Unless Microsoft releasees an Xbox Controller with haptic triggers, I don't think it will take off to the same level as Rumble did.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
No paradigm shift, tho.
Seems it's here to stay and we're better for it.

These statements are directly at odds lol, pick one :p

A paradigm shift just means that the baseline of how a given thing functions has moved. Sometimes that's huge, like making the jump from buggies to cars, sometimes that's smaller like headphones pairing via Bluetooth rather than a cord.

If the features are here to stay, that means a paradigm shift happened.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Hope its a change but I can't see it, the first year its always games that have deals with whoever makes the change to the device, after that with less incentivized reasons will it continue, time will tell.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I don't think either represent a true "paradigm shift," because the implication there is that it would somehow fundamentally change the way we play/experience games, and examples of that are pretty rare (HD, the analog stick). Maybe the super-fast/invisible load times from SSDs will reach that level of impact—jury's still out—but I don't think haptic feedback or adaptive triggers will.

That said, I think it's safe to say that haptic feedback is here to stay and not just a fad, since it's present in 2 out of 3 of the next/current gen systems, which should (hopefully) incentivize more developers to use it. (You'd think this would be especially true of Japanese titles, indies, and AA games that are targeting both the Switch and PS5. Not sure about AAAs, since the vast majority of those presumably will be skipping the Switch.)

I have no idea what the fate of adaptive triggers will be. Might be dependent on how dominant the PS5 is in the market (which is very much an open question, I think) and how many first party games find a compelling way to use them.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I can't see many third-party devs implementing them on multi-platform games, but Sony's studios should be able to give us delightful experiences using the controller, and I can imagine they'll give it full support once the PS VR 2 hits.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I can't see many third-party devs implementing them on multi-platform games, but Sony's studios should be able to give us delightful experiences using the controller, and I can imagine they'll give it full support once the PS VR 2 hits.

I mean NBA 2K21, CoD: Cold War, Watch Dogs Legion, Madden 21, etc. are all taking advantage of the haptics & triggers, so we're already seeing a variety of third parties using them in some of the biggest multiplat games on the market

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see a much better adoption of these features than the touchpad ever did.

they're refinements on the tech and buttons we've had for decades. you had to reach out to use the touchpad in order to use it's limited functionality. I have no idea why they even kept it for the DS.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It can be a paradigm shift but only if devs doesn't ignore it after the first year.

Which is likely due to how overwhelming game development is nowadays and the focus will always be on something that can be seen on a video.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
After the glowing previews today, I really do think this will become standardized eventually, just like basic rumble was. It's basically the natural evolution of that feature, and is at the point where it could actually impact gameplay in super cool ways. Imagine your gun's trigger intentionally locking up during a climactic moment, and the panic/confusion that could add to a situation. I think devs will come up with some really cool ideas for it over the generation.

Although given Microsoft still hasn't even implemented Gyro aiming to their controllers, Xbox fans might not be joining the party anytime soon.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
No, the xbox one controller has impulse triggers (they vibrate), the Dualsense has adaptive triggers (they can become harder or easier to pull). They switch has a similar feature in HD rumble but the Dualsense, per impressions, has a more intense version of the same tech.
Oh wow, that sounds awesome. I imagine they'll have to include the option to disable it separate from the vibration, for people that don't like it but especially for those with disabilities.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted fad but I would need to try it first to be sure.
The HD rumble of the Switch was so hyped up so much and I have to say that was all a huge pile of bullshit.
I believe it when I have seen it.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
They seem super cool, but no way will they be used with every game in the way they should/could.

I really hope at least every exclusive uses them well, as my PS5 will be used for just the exclusives.

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear that they're something more than just the DS4's touchpad. Whether other devs make proper use of them is up to them, but it's good to see PlayStation technicians trying something to take gaming forward.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I really had no idea so I didn't vote in the poll before. But after today's impressions, definitely would appear to be closer to an actual paradigm shift for controllers rather than a fad.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I mean NBA 2K21, CoD: Cold War, Watch Dogs Legion, Madden 21, etc. are all taking advantage of the haptics & triggers, so we're already seeing a variety of third parties using them in some of the biggest multiplat games on the market

That's right, and it's a very good sign that devs are embracing it for launch. I just hope they continue supporting it down the line. The media responded very well to it on today's impressions, so that's another good sign.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I may be cynical but I expect a handful of first party games will use it and it will be largely forgotten even during the PS5 lifetime. Multiplat games will be developped with the lowest common denominator in mind, only the features shared by all consoles they release on.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
This has a better HD Rumble? So we'll be able to count the ice cubes thing as well? I always thought that was neat.
This is how everyone is framing it in the videos I've seen. As a way way better version.

That said, anyone know if any controllers have resistance/feedback on sticks, and not just triggers? Like a force feedback joystick for flight games.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Best case scenario, it'll end up like rumble: a feature people like and expect to find in a controller, but not something that alters the design of a game. It's just a little extra.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
These statements are directly at odds lol, pick one :p

A paradigm shift just means that the baseline of how a given thing functions has moved. Sometimes that's huge, like making the jump from buggies to cars, sometimes that's smaller like headphones pairing via Bluetooth rather than a cord.

If the features are here to stay, that means a paradigm shift happened.
Sorry, I meant games are not gonna be designed around it from now on, but most all of them are gonna support some kind of rumble triggers feedback like they do on the Xbox One.
I mean , it's something that's already happening, it sucks that the PS4 missed rumble triggers this gen but now it'll catch up and most definitely surpass it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Somewhere in between. With the DualSense now including it as an option, we're going to see a loooot more games use it than if it were just Nintendo offering it. Still expect a majority of devs to ignore it tho :/

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Accessibility and competetive gameplay alone will limit people's use. I cant imagine it wont hinder some games or players experience if always implemented and one would assume it will be able to be disabled, limiting the longevity or impact of it.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I voted fad but I would need to try it first to be sure.
The HD rumble of the Switch was so hyped up so much and I have to say that was all a huge pile of bullshit.
I believe it when I have seen it.

i think it was hyped by some, but a lot of people were disappointed. The dual sense seems to have unanimous support from games media so we'll see.

I may be cynical but I expect a handful of first party games will use it and it will be largely forgotten even during the PS5 lifetime. Multiplat games will be developped with the lowest common denominator in mind, only the features shared by all consoles they release on.

im always cynical too with stuff like this. I think what might happen is the overwhelming positive response might lead to developers taking it seriously because it would be a selling point for their game. It's a long shot but it could happen. If it's not going to help your game sell, then it's most likely not going to be a priority

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If I was a game developer, these are precisely the things that I would do for fun when time allows, or rather right away lol
I really don't see this as the touchpad, this has way greater impact on gameplay/immersion

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
Sorry, I meant games are not gonna be designed around it from now on, but most all of them are gonna support some kind of rumble triggers feedback like they do on the Xbox One.
I mean , it's something that's already happening, it sucks that the PS4 missed rumble triggers this gen but now it'll catch up and most definitely surpass it.

Minor clarification, the PS5 adaptive triggers are a lot different than Xbox's rumble triggers, but yeah I agree that the DualSense will definitely surpass it

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
If I was a game developer, these are precisely the things that I would do for fun when time allows, or rather right away lol
I really don't see this as the touchpad, this has way greater impact on gameplay/immersion

This is exactly what I've been saying -- if a dev could make their game more immersive, why the hell wouldn't they? It's not like the lightbar where they have to crowbar in some new activity to justify its use. They are simply enhancing all the core activities that are already in the game anyways via the adaptive triggers and haptics.

I have to imagine any designer who crafts gunplay would love to have triggers that more accurately mimic a gun trigger, ditto for driving, shooting bows, swinging swords, and everything else.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Will the new controllers still vibrate off the coffee table during cutscenes?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might have caught on if the Xbox had it too, but like with all hardware innovations - if third parties can't make it work commonly across both platforms it will just be tacked on at best.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they'll probably be more next gen for me than anything visual. So I hope they stick around

Gamers hate going out of the norm though, so I'm pessimistic. Games barely use the Switch's HD rumble but I thought that was pretty cool. Same with gyro.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
They'll become essential in some games, like racing titles. The vibrating triggers on the Xbox are a good example. For some games I can see how the XB triggers might be seen as a fad, but in racing games, particularly sims and sim-like racers such as AC or F7, they add significantly to the experience, especially braking. Racing without that (on a pad) feels wrong and braking is harder without. I've had races on XB where suddenly I'm losing pace and consistency under braking and realise it's because the battery is dieing and so the pad has disabled vibration. The lack of vibrating triggers killed GT Sport for me. So the dual sense is going to take that idea, and enhance it. Who knows what other genres they'll become essential for, I'm sure there'll be some, but definitely racing.

Oct 19, 2020
one thing that'll be interesting is how devs will handle competitive games. if the player base complains enough will they make it a toggle. i cant imagine competitive 2k players being happy with this for instance "adaptive triggers are being used to convey energy and fatigue, so players will feel increasing resistance on the sprint trigger as their on-court players tire over the course of a match"

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope that third parties use it more, the DualSense seems amazing, and is one of the things that excites me most about next gen.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I feel like it'll just be a fad. I never remember the switch has that hd rumble thing when I use it. Just seems like regular rumble feature to me.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Anything that requires third parties to support that isn't standardized across the industry won't be fully utilized. I expect a lot of devs will treat it as a kind of advanced trigger rumble feature, cause now almost every controller has that feature.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
TBH, I've always turned rumble off on every system I own. I would be a happy guy if they just dropped rumble all together and cut the cost of their controllers (or spent that money on better parts - looking at you, joy-con joystick). I feel the same way about the IR sensor in the right joy-con, drop it and either cut the cost or improve quality of something else (motion sensors etc.)

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think haptics are here to stay but not sure about adaptive triggers. While I trust the engineers at Sony I just don't know if that mechanism can last a whole generation for a lot of people.

Many have spoken about it, I wish someone from Sony would speak to it or that we can get a teardown explaining shy that wouldn't happen. I suppose we will see it soon.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone saying this is like hd rumble have obviously not read or watched any of the impressions from yesterday.

Anyway, it's hard to say if third party will stick with it after a year or so but if it's really as awesome as media are saying then it's gonna duck to go back to just "standard" rumble if it doesn't take off.