• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback just be a fad or will they be a paradigm shift?

• Fad

Votes: 569 38.1%
  • Paradigm shift

Votes: 289 19.4%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 634 42.5%

• Total voters

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I know there's a lot of people instantly disable all kinds of rumble/vibration feature but I love it. Everytime it's not working or disabled by mistake it feels like I'm missing something. I really love that subtle feedback of my actions and it just feels wrong without rumble. I already enjoyed the triggers on the Xbox One controller for the handful of games that support the vibration e.g. on the brakes in racing games. It adds another level of feedback, a feedback I often use my racing wheel for. Sure, it's not even in the same ballpark, but I would never use my wheel without force feedback. It's not always about more information that's going to improve your play or skill but simply the somehwhat weighty feel to it.

I hope many games will use these features. Advanced haptic feedback just have such a cool ring to it.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
I hope its more than just a fad, I hope Xbox and Nintendo and PC developers can add if its as good as people say it is on the PS5.
Looking forward to getting my new Xbox but do wish the controller had more improvements that what MS has done with it.
One thing that may happen is more developers might use the rumble triggers on the xbox at least, and maybe microsoft can create a controller revision in the future with similar triggers to the PS5.

Last edited:

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
The trigger stuff is an evolution of Xbox One's triggers rumble, which was already fantastic. In racing and shooting games, for instance, it made me effectively ditch the Ps4 version, even when multiplats used to run better vs. original Xbox One. It's such a nice addition in F1 for example, when you get feedback on the triggers because you are about to loose traction or you brakes are about to lock, there's no comparison with a sterile trigger.

So it seems it's a legitimate direction companies are going to, not a fad. No paradigm shift, tho.
Seems it's here to stay and we're better for it.
Dual sense provides actual physical resistance, GT7 will be a showcase.

Oct 25, 2017
I think haptics in general are going to be a big thing for gaming eventually, but I don't think it'll see heavy use this gen. Would love to be wrong, though.