APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
It's hard to know who's just talking bollocks really, but if some of the suggested ratings are true it's definitely a bit of an unknown/scary time for the show. This is airing at totally the wrong time of year. Hopefully the Disney+ numbers are strong!

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
It's hard to know who's just talking bollocks really, but if some of the suggested ratings are true it's definitely a bit of an unknown/scary time for the show. This is airing at totally the wrong time of year. Hopefully the Disney+ numbers are strong!
Only the TV numbers have been released right? I don't remember seeing anything about how it's doing on iPlayer unless some new info has come out.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

I can tell you right now, even without Hulu content in it, Doctor Who is barely cracking the in-app top 10. It's worse with Hulu factored in.

This is a red flag for sure considering how much Disney was promoting the launch in the US.

I don't know international numbers or what the actual expectations were mind you. And there have been shows that have been lower on trending that were later revealed to be doing well (Proud Family Louder and Prouder, as well as Chip 'n' Dale Park Life). But those weren't live action and didn't have a marketing campaign on major networks. But Doctor Who technically isn't an in house production either.

Doctor Who needs to rebound on US Trending by Season's end though to make me feel better.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Only the TV numbers have been released right? I don't remember seeing anything about how it's doing on iPlayer unless some new info has come out.

We know the overnights, and the BBC3 repeat overnights. Those are in stone, and they're not dog shit terrible but they aren't great either. We don't really know the iPlayer numbers, but the +7 numbers (which includes catch-up) are what some people are claiming to know/leak, and those include iPlayer. If they're right the 'timeshift' component (ie people not watching live) is lower than I would've imagined - like Space Babies might not have even cracked 5m in a week. Which on one hand is, like - still pretty good in an age when TV audiences are collapsing in general. But it's still also quite bad compared to the specials, sort of with the worst of the Whittaker era, which was considered a bit of a ratings fail in the end.

I think the thing that's shaky about it is that Disney will probably have to make a renewal commission decision before this season is over. I have no doubt the BBC will continue on to a 3rd or 4th season, it's just a question of if the Disney deal sticks as well.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
We know the overnights, and the BBC3 repeat overnights. Those are in stone, and they're not dog shit terrible but they aren't great either. We don't really know the iPlayer numbers, but the +7 numbers (which includes catch-up) are what some people are claiming to know/leak, and those include iPlayer. If they're right the 'timeshift' component (ie people not watching live) is lower than I would've imagined - like Space Babies might not have even cracked 5m in a week. Which on one hand is, like - still pretty good in an age when TV audiences are collapsing in general. But it's still also quite bad compared to the specials, sort of with the worst of the Whittaker era, which was considered a bit of a ratings fail in the end.

I think the thing that's shaky about it is that Disney will probably have to make a renewal commission decision before this season is over. I have no doubt the BBC will continue on to a 3rd or 4th season, it's just a question of if the Disney deal sticks as well.
Oh man. This blows lol. I really hope it gets better as the season goes on and hopefully word of mouth spreads and stuff. That said, like you mentioned, it's by no means the end of the show, and Davies has said how the show will always endure even if the budgets very low. But the Disney boost in visuals is very nice lmao.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
For UK ratings, the live +7/screen numbers should be released officially tomorrow for episodes 1 and 2. I wonder if they'll release some kind of breakdown as to how many people are watching at midnight etc.

As for Disney+, we know they have a 26 episode commitment to the show covering the 3x 60th Anniversary Specials, 9 episode block for Season 1 (Christmas Special plus Season 1), 9 episode block for Season 2 (Christmas Special plus Season 2), and the 5 episode spin-off The War Between The Land and The Sea. I'm really curious how the show is performing on Disney+ not just in the US but internationally - I hope it's doing well enough with their expectations.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
For UK ratings, the live +7/screen numbers should be released officially tomorrow for episodes 1 and 2. I wonder if they'll release some kind of breakdown as to how many people are watching at midnight etc.

As for Disney+, we know they have a 26 episode commitment to the show covering the 3x 60th Anniversary Specials, 9 episode block for Season 1 (Christmas Special plus Season 1), 9 episode block for Season 2 (Christmas Special plus Season 2), and the 5 episode spin-off The War Between The Land and The Sea. I'm really curious how the show is performing on Disney+ not just in the US but internationally - I hope it's doing well enough with their expectations.
Absolutely. As someone who grew up with the original RTD run, I just want Doctor Who to have its moment again!

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
In the UK part of the problem is that it's come too soon, really. Ideally there needed to be 3-4 years between Whittaker and a 'reboot'. So the excitement isn't there as much... that plus culture war bollocks, anyway.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I just don't find it worthwhile ever panicking about Doctor Who ratings. People have been convinced it's been on the verge of being cancelled for the last 14 years.

Even if it did go off-air, I'd never believe it would be long before it would be back again.

I discovered Doctor Who when I was 6 years old in 1999, and it was like uncovering some ancient fossil that time forgot. Even as a kid I could sense the prevailing opinion was that the show would never come back. And then it did. And I now know it would again, if ever the day came.

I do think they've misjudged a bunch of things about this relaunch. Christmas should have been the regeneration, and then Ncuti's first episode should have been the start of the season proper. Space Babies should not have been at the top of the season, if in it at all. The midnight releases, the early summer debut - mistakes.

But I'm really enjoying the ride so far, it's the most I've enjoyed the show in years. So everything else is incidental really.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not necessarily worried about it being cancelled. I'm more worried about Disney+ continuing to invest in it, and getting them to try (at least in the US) to get the entire series on one service.

I'm sure the show will keep going. Let me be clear.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I'm not necessarily worried about it being cancelled. I'm more worried about Disney+ continuing to invest in it, and getting them to try (at least in the US) to get the entire series on one service.

I'm sure the show will keep going. Let me be clear.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what Disney make of things. I wonder how popular it needs to be to be considered a success for them? After all, it's not like they're funding the whole show from the ground up like their own internally-produced shows.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think anyone's making any decisions based on the BBC One ratings on hot May evenings, to be honest. The BBC don't really care- they're pushing it on the iPlayer, not on the broadcast schedules (saw an advert in the cinema for the show yesterday- didn't mention a time, or even BBC One, just mentioned that it's on iPlayer), and in a world where new episodes live in the Whoniverse section forever, what they get in a single week doesn't matter much at all.

As for Disney, we have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they're getting, what they were expecting, or how the two relate to one another. It's just guesswork and fretting at this point.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It'll certainly be interesting to see what Disney make of things. I wonder how popular it needs to be to be considered a success for them? After all, it's not like they're funding the whole show from the ground up like their own internally-produced shows.

Right, and I've noted that as well. The closest thing I can compare to is Dairy of a Future President, which was made by Paramount. But that was exclusively worldwide for Disney+. Not partially like with Doctor Who. And usually US Disney+ performance has been what's makes or breaks decisions.

As for Disney, we have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they're getting, what they were expecting, or how the two relate to one another. It's just guesswork and fretting at this point.

You're right that we don't know for sure. And I noted that in my previous posts that where it is on US trending doesn't always dictate what's good enough for Disney. And it's true, this isn't exclusive for Disney worldwide.

But it would make me feel better to see it going higher on US Trending honestly. I hope it improves by the end of the Season 1 run.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
For anyone interested in UK ratings since the live+7+screen figures came out:

Episode 1 - Space Babies: 4.01m
Episode 2 - The Devil's Chord: 3.91m

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
That's not great isn't it
I'm not a ratings expert or anything, and don't know what BBC's metrics will be especially as it relates to iPlayer viewership but to try and break it down a bit mostly for my own curiosity:

Episode 1 - Space Babies
Live TV (Overnight): 2.60 million
Live+7+Screen: 4.01 million

Episode 2 - The Devil's Chord
Live TV (Overnight): 2.40 million
Live+7+Screen: 3.91 million

Based on those numbers, the show's getting around 1.4-1.5 million viewers on iPlayer over the first 7 days which is around 45% of the audience. It'll be interesting to see if that changes much over the rest of the run.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Shame to hear about the ratings being poor. I wonder what's contributing to that. There was a lot of hype for RTD's return but did they all bail after The Giggle? Is Church on Ruby Road and Space Babies too poor a one two punch to keep people engaged? Or is the split between iplayer, and live tv being later causing it to be less of a tv event in the UK?

It doesn't seem to have been the big comeback in the US I was hoping for either. Not about ratings, just about cultural footprint or whatever. I was kind of hoping geek culture would pick it back up and it'd be the big deal it was during Tennant and Smith but it's not happening. I don't see the hype for it anywhere. No merch, no cosplay, nobody talking about it. I saw one Sonic Screwdriver on store shelves again... a rerun of Smith's.

What's the problem? Is a revival of that era truly impossible or was this just not what the show needed?

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Shame to hear about the ratings being poor. I wonder what's contributing to that. There was a lot of hype for RTD's return but did they all bail after The Giggle? Is Church on Ruby Road and Space Babies too poor a one two punch to keep people engaged? Or is the split between iplayer, and live tv being later causing it to be less of a tv event in the UK?

It doesn't seem to have been the big comeback in the US I was hoping for either. Not about ratings, just about cultural footprint or whatever. I was kind of hoping geek culture would pick it back up and it'd be the big deal it was during Tennant and Smith but it's not happening. I don't see the hype for it anywhere. No merch, no cosplay, nobody talking about it. I saw one Sonic Screwdriver on store shelves again... a rerun of Smith's.

What's the problem? Is a revival of that era truly impossible or was this just not what the show needed?
I donno if it's a storm of things between launching the show in May and the weather being really good here in the UK (if you're a fan of sunshine and warm temperatures that is), the change in broadcast pattern with iPlayer up first followed by linear transmission on BBC One in the evening breaking that tradition of watching, a shorter run of episodes making people think they can binge it at the end of the season, and the surge in negative videos that seem to be on places like YouTube claiming about the show being "woke" and such (had to block an idiot friend for sending me some yesterday while discussing the ratings claiming it was why the show was in a bad state and that the show is "too preachy" now based on the first few episodes.)

The 28 day ratings for episodes 1 and 2 released on June 10th will be interesting and hopefully give a better picture of how the show is doing.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

I guess The Church on Ruby Road didn't click with a lot of people, the gap between it and the new season was too long, Space Babies was a poor choice for a first episode, and in the US I think maybe on top of that maybe Disney didn't advertise it right. I also think everything they said about this being a great place for new viewers to jump in wasn't true, so far it feels like it leans into the previous stuff really heavily which might have turned some new viewers away after the first two episodes.
I honestly am starting to wonder if they should have let the series sleep for a few more years before bringing it back. This could all turn around, mind you, we just have to wait and see.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I don't think more time off would have helped. The 3 years wait from the announcement of RTD's return to now was already a lot. Like I guess you could argue that the show could have gone away for a decade again but I view that as the worst case scenario.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the weather. Straight up. The first two episodes dropped in the first heatwave that the country's had in months and months, and it hasn't really abated since.

Any theories about post-Giggle dropoff don't really hold up, seeing as The Church on Ruby Road did very well indeed and pulled in good audience appreciation scores.
It's only been back a week!

We didn't get a tidal wave of cultural appreciation immediately after The Eleventh Hour back in the day - it built up naturally. I imagine that they're hoping for similar here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah the only thing Chibnall hit perfectly, and Moffat did the same a couple of times, was shifting Doctor Who to the Autumn. Made it less likely people would skip dueto barbecues etc.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only thing Chibnall hit perfectly, and Moffat did the same a couple of times, was shifting Doctor Who to the Autumn. Made it less likely people would skip dueto barbecues etc.
...Then you end up getting punted around the schedules by Strictly Come Dancing and unable to hit a consistent timeslot, as well as being knocked around by a generally busier time for TV and events - remember series 9 getting hammered by the Rugby World Cup?

A January launch to maintain the momentum from the specials and Christmas would have been ideal, but with an eight episode run starting at Easter like the RTD seasons of old would have probably been fine too - assuming they'd ended up dropping Space Babies and The Devil's Chord together, the finale would have aired on Eurovision night, which still runs into the hot weather, but hopefully having built up some momentum.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
...Then you end up getting punted around the schedules by Strictly Come Dancing and unable to hit a consistent timeslot, as well as being knocked around by a generally busier time for TV and events - remember series 9 getting hammered by the Rugby World Cup?

A January launch to maintain the momentum from the specials and Christmas would have been ideal, but with an eight episode run, starting at Easter like the RTD seasons of old would have probably been fine too - assuming they'd ended up dropping Space Babies and The Devil's Chord together, the finale would have aired on Eurovision night, which still runs into the hot weather, but hopefully having built up some momentum.
That's also true. It's tricky for sure. You may be right about January to March for sure

I hate how my FB feed, which always had cool Doctor Who stuff, is now filled with how it's "woke nonsense". I'm closing and reporting where possible but urgh

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018

A January launch to maintain the momentum from the specials and Christmas would have been ideal, but with an eight episode run starting at Easter like the RTD seasons of old would have probably been fine too - assuming they'd ended up dropping Space Babies and The Devil's Chord together, the finale would have aired on Eurovision night, which still runs into the hot weather, but hopefully having built up some momentum.
I think you're right, but the image of Doctor Who producers explaining this to the Disney execs sounds hilarious.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
It's the weather. Straight up. The first two episodes dropped in the first heatwave that the country's had in months and months, and it hasn't really abated since.

Any theories about post-Giggle dropoff don't really hold up, seeing as The Church on Ruby Road did very well indeed and pulled in good audience appreciation scores.

I don't think I've ever heard of "it's hot outside" being a reason why a show isn't doing good. Like even if everyone is going outside and doing stuff, it's a single episode of television a week. People watch TV during summer. Even right now, people are still watching stuff like Shogun and Fallout. I'm not saying the release window isn't playing a part at all but I have a hard time accepting that as the only reason.

It's only been back a week!

We didn't get a tidal wave of cultural appreciation immediately after The Eleventh Hour back in the day - it built up naturally. I imagine that they're hoping for similar here.

Well, the show was already popular here during the end of Tennant's run, so the popularity into Smith's did feel like it was there from the beginning. To me, anyway. But my sense of time IS likely skewed a bit. All the same, it's not like this is actually a brand new show in regards to the old audience coming back. And as you point out, Church on Ruby Road did well enough and it was 6 months ago. There should be merch. At least a fucking funko pop or something. Some kind of TARDIS thing. But merch is a secondary thing, I'm more talking about the people's reactions. I guess we'll see how things go at the convention circuit and stuff later. I'm not trying to doompost about the show or anything. I was just hoping it'd return to the popularity it had a decade ago but that doesn't seem to be happening.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
For anyone interested in UK ratings since the live+7+screen figures came out:

Episode 1 - Space Babies: 4.01m
Episode 2 - The Devil's Chord: 3.91m
I wonder if changing the episode order here wouldn't be better. I mean, Space Babies, come on. Devil's Chord was a better choice and even had a better display of the musical theme of this new Doctor

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard of "it's hot outside" being a reason why a show isn't doing good. Like even if everyone is going outside and doing stuff, it's a single episode of television a week. People watch TV during summer. Even right now, people are still watching stuff like Shogun and Fallout. I'm not saying the release window isn't playing a part at all but I have a hard time accepting that as the only reason.
I can't speak to America, but it's a huge thing for British ratings - you can see the ratings for every series of Doctor Who that started in the spring and carried on into the summer dip as the weather starts to turn. You can see the overall trend quite clearly by looking at the overall charts - for all that the UK ratings are underwhelming, it still hit the top 10 for the week, because no one's watching anything... because the weather's good, and no one ever does when that's the case. If I had to guess, it's because good weather for us is so infrequent that we genuinely do drop everything to go and enjoy it, which isn't so much a factor in much of the States.

It's also worth pointing out that way, WAY more people are watching Doctor Who in the UK than are watching Shogun or Fallout - our ratings board record views for those, and they're absolutely nowhere near (one episode of Fallout has charted with around three million viewers, and I don't think Shogun ever has). Clarkson's Farm is pulling similar numbers, though.

All the same, it's not like this is actually a brand new show in regards to the old audience coming back. And as you point out, Church on Ruby Road did well enough and it was 6 months ago. There should be merch. At least a fucking funko pop or something. Some kind of TARDIS thing.
By all accounts, the merchandisers were severely burned by the Whittaker era - they were always going to wait and see before dropping more stuff. We're apparently expecting more as we head into the autumn, so we'll have to wait and see.

But merch is a secondary thing, I'm more talking about the people's reactions. I guess we'll see how things go at the convention circuit and stuff later. I'm not trying to doompost about the show or anything. I was just hoping it'd return to the popularity it had a decade ago but that doesn't seem to be happening.
It's hard to tell, and it's all anecdotal - I've seen way more people talking about the show than I have for years, and there does seem to be at least a little buzz on this end of things (the Doctor Who Prom sold out in record time last week, for instance).

I suspect that the answer is that they'll be looking at this as a slow burn - the show doesn't appear to have set the world alight (hasn't flopped either, but hasn't taken over the world), but they'll be looking to build up buzz as they go along, drop merch, build the hype organically. We'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can't speak to America, but it's a huge thing for British ratings - you can see the ratings for every series of Doctor Who that started in the spring and carried on into the summer dip as the weather starts to turn. You can see the overall trend quite clearly by looking at the overall charts - for all that the UK ratings are underwhelming, it still hit the top 10 for the week, because no one's watching anything... because the weather's good, and no one ever does when that's the case. If I had to guess, it's because good weather for us is so infrequent that we genuinely do drop everything to go and enjoy it, which isn't so much a factor in much of the States.

It's also worth pointing out that way, WAY more people are watching Doctor Who in the UK than are watching Shogun or Fallout - our ratings board record views for those, and they're absolutely nowhere near (one episode of Fallout has charted with around three million viewers, and I don't think Shogun ever has). Clarkson's Farm is pulling similar numbers, though.

By all accounts, the merchandisers were severely burned by the Whittaker era - they were always going to wait and see before dropping more stuff. We're apparently expecting more as we head into the autumn, so we'll have to wait and see.

It's hard to tell, and it's all anecdotal - I've seen way more people talking about the show than I have for years, and there does seem to be at least a little buzz on this end of things (the Doctor Who Prom sold out in record time last week, for instance).

I suspect that the answer is that they'll be looking at this as a slow burn - the show doesn't appear to have set the world alight (hasn't flopped either, but hasn't taken over the world), but they'll be looking to build up buzz as they go along, drop merch, build the hype organically. We'll have to wait and see how that goes.
Yeah. If the next season drops then I think we'll be in trouble but I think people are holding off for now either due to Chibnall and wanting feedback, or to binge it all.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I can appreciate that perspective. I guess we'll see how things play out over the next year.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll say this. Disney put out a brag press release for another Disney+ show that makes me feel potentially more hopeful, if the scenario some of you have been talking about with late watchers kicks in.

Disney for the first time put out a brag article about a finale performance. Specifically for X-Men 97. And how views went up as the show went on.

If Doctor Who can at least rebound at the end with late watchers, then it's absolutely possible we'll be good then. But word of mouth is absolutely going to need to kick in asap since we're almost halfway through the batch.

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
I came here to see how last episode went, but there are no new posts since tuesday. Guess this tells a lot

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for double post, but it's #5 on US Disney+ right now, we probably don't need to worry about performance.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for double post, but it's #5 on US Disney+ right now, we probably don't need to worry about performance.

Yes, it definitely went up from Saturday to Sunday. That's pretty good considering it usually drops from Saturday to Sunday.

I have to remember to take out the Hulu shows from mine, since I usually see those in trending so Doctor Who ends up being lower. But taking out, you are correct.

I would still like to see Doctor Who pass the older movies that usually rank high when a new episode drops, considering Marvel, Star Wars and Percy usually did that. But higher from Saturday to Sunday is good for now.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The episodes have gotten progressively better with yesterdays being the best so far imo, I guess word of mouth is spreading.
Yeah, I think that the first 2 episodes and maybe the Christmas special just didn't click with a lot of people, but the quality after those is bringing people back. It also might be slowly building a new audience from the word of mouth of the 3 newest episodes.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if it has a strong performance finish like X-Men 97 had, that would probably put all worries at easy for me.

I would just like to see it a notch or two higher by the Season's end.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
I do wonder what people who started watching the CoRR thinks of this season because it's an absolutely wild season, even for the show's standards. And it's nice to see that it's doing solidly on Disney + too.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what people who started watching the CoRR thinks of this season because it's an absolutely wild season, even for the show's standards. And it's nice to see that it's doing solidly on Disney + too.
It alongside Space Babies and The Devil's Cord really made it seem like the season would be rather silly and campy, the tonal shift after was wild.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It alongside Space Babies and The Devil's Cord really made it seem like the season would be rather silly and campy, the tonal shift after was wild.
Yeah, my spouse was telling one of her coworkers about the show just ahead of the season's start and reccomended it. After watching the first two, she was thinking that maybe she should have told him to start with one of the earlier Doctors. But after the most recent episodes, I think she went back and told him that he needed to push through the first two and keep going, because it got better.

Wehrwolf

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'm a lifelong Doctor Who watcher that currently isn't watching it because I try to have as few monthly bills as possible, so no Disney+.

I'd also buy the bluray, but they haven't released or even announced it. If they haven't even announced the 60th anniversary Tennant specials before August when new series season 1 comes out on DVD in the UK, I'll import it from the UK (i don't have a region free bluray, and they added region lock as of the disney releases)

Sep 5, 2021
William Russell obituary: the actor of companion Ian Chesterton in "Doctor Who" and Lancelot in the "The Adventures of Sir Lancelot":

Stage and screen actor who was part of the original cast of Doctor Who
9052.jpg

William Russell, left, as Ian Chesterton, with William Hartnell as the Doctor, Jacqueline Hill as Barbara and Carole Ann Ford as Susan in the Doctor Who serial The Keys of Marinus, 1964. Photograph: BBC

On 23 November 1963 – the day after the assassination of President John F Kennedy – the actor William Russell, who has died aged 99, appearing in a new BBC television series, approached what looked like an old-fashioned police box in a scrapyard, from which an old chap emerged, saying he was the doctor. Russell responded: "Doctor Who?"
And so was launched one of the most popular TV series of all time, although the viewing figures that night were low because of the political upheaval, so the same episode was shown again a week later. It caught on, big time, with Russell – as the science schoolteacher Ian Chesterton – and William Hartnell as the Doctor establishing themselves alongside Jacqueline Hill as the history teacher Barbara Wright and Carole Ann Ford as Susan Foreman.

Russell stayed until 1965, returning to the show in 2022 in a cameo appearance as Ian and, since then, participating happily in all the hoop-la and fanzine convention-hopping, signing and schmoozing that such a phenomenon engenders.
Before that, though, Russell had achieved prominence in the title role of the ITV series The Adventures of Sir Lancelot (1956-57) – he was strongly built with an air of dashing bravado about him; he had been an RAF officer in the later stages of the second world war – and as the lead in a 1957 BBC television adaptation of Nicholas Nickleby, transmitted live in 18 weekly episodes.

William Russell on the set of the 1950s television series The Adventures of Sir Lancelot.
View image in fullscreen
William Russell on the set of the 1950s television series The Adventures of Sir Lancelot. Photograph: Mirrorpix/Getty Images

When Sir Lancelot went to the US, the first British TV import to be shot in colour for an American audience, Russell rode down Fifth Avenue on a horse in full regalia, like some returning, mystical, medieval knight in the heart of Normandy. The show was a smash hit.

RIP Ian, this is very sad news, the era of the first Doctor is my favorite of the classic series. Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Steven and the First Doctor are some of Doctor Who's favorite characters

www.theguardian.com

William Russell obituary

Stage and screen actor who was part of the original cast of Doctor Who

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I feel saddened when I think it about the fact that some of the older actors like Tom Baker won't be around forever..