OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My husband expressed interest in watching this and I've dropped off who for a while. Can we jump into this season?
Absolutely- it's been designed as a jumping-on point for the Disney+ audience, so you should have no issues.

If you start with the Christmas special, you should be golden- the specials before it starring Tennant are very good, and tie in to the second of the new episodes that dropped today, but everything you'll need to know is in the Gatwa episodes.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
My husband expressed interest in watching this and I've dropped off who for a while. Can we jump into this season?

If you're outside the UK, on Disney Plus there will be three episodes up; the Christmas special from last Christmas (The Church on Ruby Road), and episode 1 & 2 of the new season. Start with the Christmas special as D+ suggests.

Disney also has three 'specials', which are basically like... a bridge from the old era (2005-2023) and the new era (2023/4 onwards). Doctor Who now consists of three distinct 'runs', and though the show is one great big canon right from 1963 to now, you happen to be looking to jump on right at the start of a completely fresh jumping on point. So start fresh with the new stuff. If you then decide you want to go back to the specials, or to 2005, or even 1963... you can.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I kind of really don't like big musical numbers in Doctor Who. The end of The Devil's Chord was 100% not my shit.

But that's ok. The show has never been, will never be, and could never be 100% for me.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Overall I didn't really enjoy either episode that much. Space Babies definitely wasn't for me however I think I'm going to have to watch the Devils Chord multiple times before fully deciding my thoughts because it seems everyone loved the hell out of it so I think maybe I'm missing something, or was too tired to watch it (as I stayed up to watch it in the UK)

I like how open and honest the 15th Doctor is, it's a refreshing breeze of fresh air after 13th telling her companions nothing all the time however did anyone else find the delivery to be a bit too nonchalant whenever Ncuti talked about all the Time Lords (and his own family being dead) like came off like he didn't care at times

I'm unsure how I feel about there being 6 months worth of offscreen adventures with 15 and Ruby between Space Babies and The Devils Chord as some lines like Ruby saying "but you never run" initially felt jarring like my immediate reaction was how do you know that, however this is wonderful news for Big Finish down the line as they can slot a whole bunch of adventures in that timeslot. As I said I'm unsure about it as one thing I loved about the Moffat era was the fact time progressed dramatically between episodes with lots of offscreen adventures with the Doctor living for 100s of years, I wouldn't want another 10th Doctor situation where his life was only what? 4 years?

Looking forward to the rest of the season though and next episode is the Moffat one which I'm looking forward too

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Seeing how scared Maestro made the Doctor was quite refreshing. Also love how little the sonic is being used so far? It's not being used as a "wave to save the day" device (yet)

Also the fact that Russell isn't shying away from bringing up the timeless child arc is cool by allowing the Doctor to speak freely and openly about it. Something that 13 unfortunately wasn't allowed to do

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I don't think it's for me anymore - and that's ok.

These first two episodes felt...like it's an entirely different show (I know, I know that's the point). Breathless. Mugging (like the worst excesses of Tennant). Always on the edge of high emotion, so no emotion really stands out. In S1 2005 RTD felt like he had a tempo, and some of his excesses were restrained and measured. This just feels like that restraint is now unleashed, and not in a good way.

Maybe I need more of the season to digest, but whilst I appreciate the talents both on and off screen, it feels somewhat souless. Some sensible smiles at some of the Devil's Chord, but that's about it.

That explosion of emotion is translating across to social media too, and I'm happy for those enjoying it but I'm feeling kind of like I'm on a different planet in terms of what constitutes moderate enjoyment. Like I want Ncuti to succeed too, but everyone's on X is like 'YASSS LEGENDARY DOCTOR, THAT LINE LMAOAOAOAO'.

Capaldi had a rough few first episodes and he ended up being my favourite Doctor, but here it just feels so superficial. Maybe again it'll click with a wider view, but I felt Eleventh Hour with Smith clicked immediately in terms of character and plot / pacing of that ep, so I know it can happen.

Last edited:

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha what the actual hell did I just watch in The Devil's Chord. And the complete disparity between that ending and the next time preview. This show is so batshit again.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Well that was a twist at the end.

Also what above said the ending to next episode preview was jarring, but it's just doing what Strange New Worlds did previously.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of really don't like big musical numbers in Doctor Who. The end of The Devil's Chord was 100% not my shit.

But that's ok. The show has never been, will never be, and could never be 100% for me.

Don't worry. Speaking as someone who DOES love musical theatre, the musical number was just a really bad one. It's a very insubstantial song that just feels like characters saying random shit and barely justifying it in rhyme.

This is the second musical sequence in three episodes and both of them have been bad. Rusty needs a better songwriting collaborator if he's going to keep doing musical interludes in the show.

I loved the episode, but the song and dance number was a black spot on an episode I otherwise adored. The musical duel with Maestro was great - we didn't need a song and dance.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do wish they had worked with other musicians with musical sequences being more prominent. It's not been Murrays Golds strong point going back to the devil one from Series 3. The deliberately bad ones in Devils Chord worked fine though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do wish they had worked with other musicians with musical sequences being more prominent. It's not been Murrays Golds strong point going back to the devil one from Series 3. The deliberately bad ones in Devils Chord worked fine though.

Right. That's honestly the problem - the deliberately bad songs served their purpose just fine. But their big triumphant "MUSIC IS BACK" number was...almost as badly written, lyrics-wise, as the bad songs from when music didn't exist.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
What an episode Devil's Chord was. Dayum. Show firing on all thrusters. And Moffat next week? Hope he brings his A-Game -- if he does, Doctor Who is back.

(Also, has Gallifrey Base always been this miserable?)

It's always had a prediliction towards misery, but I feel in particular the Chibnall era just acted as an incredible negativity and resentment amplifier as people who liked it got into increasingly fevered fights with those who didn't in a way that just didn't happen in the previous eras. That energy has rolled over into this new era and is loud.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Crossposting my thoughts from Gallifrey Base:

The Devil's Chord: I'm not a fan of camp, so I really didn't gel with this one. Maestro never felt like a threat; their performance was so deliberately over-the-top that I found it hard to take at all seriously.

The accelerated pace that the Doctor and Ruby's relationship seems to be moving at is strange and alarming. Rose took half a dozen episodes to even begin feeling at home with life in the TARDIS; the way Ruby acts in this one feels like I've jumped in halfway through her second season. And the Doctor isn't immune; isn't two episodes in a bit early for the "crisis of self-confidence" thing? We barely know this Doctor!

Then there's the last five minutes. Did anyone see the fourth Thor movie, Love and Thunder? That movie was such a disappointment to me; it felt as if Taika Waititi had fallen for his own hype, and believed that he could do no wrong. Like he could write whatever self-indulgent nonsense he wanted, and people would love it because he's just that brilliant.

By the end of this episode, those were the vibes I was getting. If you're gonna be self-indulgent and do a lavish musical number "just cos", you better be delivering on every other front. It suggests a high degree of confidence, like the kid who puts his feet up on his desk and takes a nap while all the other students are still finishing their exam. I don't feel that confidence was earned here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's always had a prediliction towards misery, but I feel in particular the Chibnall era just acted as an incredible negativity and resentment amplifier as people who liked it got into increasingly fevered fights with those who didn't in a way that just didn't happen in the previous eras. That energy has rolled over into this new era and is loud.
There is a greater culture war going on. I don't blame Chibnall for that, Doctor Who is a nostalgic show and would be sucked into it

Well Chibnall initially made a divisive decision among the fans to cast a woman, some of them will be honest with their misogyny and some will try and make an effort to hide it, but Chibnall did the right thing there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting my thoughts from Gallifrey Base:

The Devil's Chord: I'm not a fan of camp, so I really didn't gel with this one. Maestro never felt like a threat; their performance was so deliberately over-the-top that I found it hard to take at all seriously.

The accelerated pace that the Doctor and Ruby's relationship seems to be moving at is strange and alarming. Rose took half a dozen episodes to even begin feeling at home with life in the TARDIS; the way Ruby acts in this one feels like I've jumped in halfway through her second season. And the Doctor isn't immune; isn't two episodes in a bit early for the "crisis of self-confidence" thing? We barely know this Doctor!

Then there's the last five minutes. Did anyone see the fourth Thor movie, Love and Thunder? That movie was such a disappointment to me; it felt as if Taika Waititi had fallen for his own hype, and believed that he could do no wrong. Like he could write whatever self-indulgent nonsense he wanted, and people would love it because he's just that brilliant.

By the end of this episode, those were the vibes I was getting. If you're gonna be self-indulgent and do a lavish musical number "just cos", you better be delivering on every other front. It suggests a high degree of confidence, like the kid who puts his feet up on his desk and takes a nap while all the other students are still finishing their exam. I don't feel that confidence was earned here.

I don't think the crisis of self-confidence was unjustified. We just saw the Doctor only barely manage to beat the Toymaker three episodes ago, and that was with two of him. Fifteen knows his limits, and he was RIGHT - he lost. The only reason Fifteen and Ruby got out alive was because Paul and John got pulled back to music and saved everyone.

Going up against gods representing fundamental universal concepts is a roll of the dice, and regardless of what Donna said about the dice not knowing what they said last time, eventually by the law of averages you ARE going to lose sometimes.

And frankly, being more open with his emotions and less likely to lie and sugar coat things for his companion's benefit seems like this Doctor's deal so far.

Last edited:

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
What a bizarre comeback for the show. It seems they are aiming at a much younger audience this time, though. Let's see how it goes.
Also, loved the Maestro

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
What an insane start to the new season, lmao. I'm in.
So, uh, when Ruby was tied up and the music first started coming out of her… did anyone else get bad wolf vibes?
Also really happy they mentioned Susan, now can we please have her show up this time?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't think the crisis of self-confidence was unjustified. We just saw the Doctor only barely manage to beat the Toymaker three episodes ago, and that was with two of him. Fifteen knows his limits, and he was RIGHT - he lost. The only reason Fifteen and Ruby got out alive was because Paul and John got pulled back to music and saved everyone.

Going up against gods representing fundamental universal concepts is a roll of the dice, and regardless of what Donna said about the dice not knowing what they said last time, eventually by the law of averages you ARE going to lose sometimes.

And frankly, being more open with his emotions and less likely to lie and sugar coat things for his companion's benefit seems like this Doctor's deal so far.

It's less that Fifteen's actions didn't make sense in context, and more that "episode 2" feels too early for that kind of revelation. We haven't had time to get to know this Doctor yet; how brave he is, what he fears, how he reacts under pressure. Multiple times during this story I felt like I'd accidentally skipped half a dozen episodes worth of character development.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's less that Fifteen's actions didn't make sense in context, and more that "episode 2" feels too early for that kind of revelation. We haven't had time to get to know this Doctor yet; how brave he is, what he fears, how he reacts under pressure. Multiple times during this story I felt like I'd accidentally skipped half a dozen episodes worth of character development.

Now this I agree with. Especially since they just randomly reveal halfway through the episode that Ruby's been travelling with him for six months off-screen already. They needed to do this kind of offscreen jump later in the season instead of the second episode. I don't mind that kind of "they had all kinds of adventures off screen together - your move, Big Finish/comics/novel writers!" jump, but not before the paint has even dried for the two characters.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Space Babies was meh for me but Devil's Chord was great! I felt intrigued by the whole thing and got more glued in compared to Space Babies.

Though it got a bit sudden plot bit changes towards the end and I'm not talking about the twist.

The production so far is really putting that Disney money to good use. I hope the quality continues to impress.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
Yeah. The Doctor asks her what "time" it is at home and they both agree "June 2024". The very previous episode was still set on Christmas 2023.
I think this season was supposed to start airing after the christmas special but got pushed back due to the increased time for post-production, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something added in reshoots so the show's modern day alligns more with when it's airing as opposed to be set in the first couple months on 2024.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think this season was supposed to start airing after the christmas special but got pushed back due to the increased time for post-production, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something added in reshoots so the show's modern day alligns more with when it's airing as opposed to be set in the first couple months on 2024.

It's possible. The other theory that was floated was that this episode was originally planned to air later in the season but got bumped up specifically to the second episode slot because of its high quality as a means of getting people hooked. I'm not sure I believe that theory though as the "where do YOU want to go, companion?" episode almost always comes very early in a companion's run.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
All the cgi budget in the world couldn't make those baby mouths look anything other than deeply weird

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
It's possible. The other theory that was floated was that this episode was originally planned to air later in the season but got bumped up specifically to the second episode slot because of its high quality as a means of getting people hooked. I'm not sure I believe that theory though as the "where do YOU want to go, companion?" episode almost always comes very early in a companion's run.
Yeah. Plus the whole thing of the first episode introducing companion and doctor, followed by something sci-fi, followed by a trip to the past. And Rogue doesn't seem like it would have been the first trip to the past episode anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All the cgi budget in the world couldn't make those baby mouths look anything other than deeply weird

The worst part was that the baby actor they picked for Eric had this permanent 5,000-yard stare for all of his scenes and just looked like he was absolutely locked down by fear and concern even when he was "speaking" happy lines. And he's the one that gets the most screen time!

Obviously it's basically impossible to get babies to emote, the same way it's next to impossible to get a cat or dog to emote "properly" on camera, but there was just WAY TOO MUCH focus on close-ups for the babies and it made the mix of CGI and real faces painfully visible.

Yeah. Plus the whole thing of the first episode introducing companion and doctor, followed by something sci-fi, followed by a trip to the past. And Rogue doesn't seem like it would have been the first trip to the past episode anyway.

Right. I'm not sure why they felt the need to skip ahead six months when the actual story in-narrative DOES feel like an early adventure for both of them, aside from the weirdness of the 'you never run!' line.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't care for Space Babies, and I still need to watch the other one. One small note: As a kid, I would do what the Doctor did in trying to jumpscare younger kids and then finding it funny, and I realize what an asshole I was for doing so, particularly after hearing one of them tell me how much they hated it years later. Not sure why Davies has the hero of the show is doing bully shit like that for comedy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please bring back Maestro! My wife has only really started watching Who and was barely watching this episode and her only comment about the episode is "the actor playing the villain is really talented"
Well we see their harbinger during the musical number at the end suggesting that they can come back.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Double episode and I couldn't watch till this morning, so my thoughts are scattered.

I love Gatwa. He feels young and fresh in a way the Doctor has never before. He has some of Whittaker's love of the universe, but with her childish innocence swapped for queer, reckless abandon. It's a good mix and he might be the most unique feeling incarnation since Eccleston, maybe T.Baker.

The episodes themselves are very camp and theatrical, which is usually how I prefer my Who. But it's been three episodes straight with that dial passed 11, so I'm worried if that's just how the whole season will feel.

Jinx was brilliant. An instant classic baddie.

Ruby looks and feels so much like Clara that it keeps distracting me. Her voice, her face, her mannerisms. Clara is my favourite companion but I don't need a duplicate.

It's still feels too similar to Davies first era but I've just accepted that now. He's straight up said in interviews that's what we're getting so whatever. At least Devil's Chord felt like Davies without inhibitions or restraint, which was very fun.

I feel like the intro is still out of sync. It's been six episodes, come on guys.

I love Doctor Who and this was some pretty fun Doctor Who, so I'm pretty happy

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Have now caught up!

Space Babies was fun. Definitely felt the uncanny valley a bit - mainly with Eric, because his expression didn't match what he was saying, Poppy as the other 'lead' Space Baby seemed to come across just fine, but, well, babies, they did well enough! The story came together nicely.

Devil's Chord... was not what I wanted from Doctor Who, and everything I needed from Doctor Who. Nothing like the episode I was expecting (was expecting a lot more Beatles in it), but the episode we did get was *ridiculously* fun. Jinkx is a fantastic scenery chewer and looked like they were having an absolute blast, the fourth-wall break into the intro had me *whooping* with joy, and the epilogue made no sense and I had a massive grin on my face through it despite that. This episode *belongs* in front of Eurovision, and I mean that in the best possible sense.

Broader series-wide thoughts, touching on maybe spoiler territory (but it's purely speculation based on what we've seen, just touches on plot points):
It's really interesting how it keeps calling back to the Christmas episode; while I fully expected them come back to Ruby's origins, of course, I wasn't expecting the continual underlining of how it was *Christmas* when that happened, and how it was Christmas when she left her adoptive home; it looks like Carol of the Bells may be a recurring motif. Oh, and I shrieked when I heard Jinkx introduce themselves with The Giggle! Definitely leaning into those in a big way.

Last edited:

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Really did not like Space Babies, not the baby concept itself (oh excuse me, SPACE BABIES, as the Doctor had to continually remind us for some unknown reason), or the plot. However, Ncuti and Millie have great chemistry together and I loved him answering all of her questions from the onset.

The Devil's Chord was massively better, however, yet another song and dance number is completely out of place. I'm also really not fond of what feels like a rehash of the Clara story (again, what feels, it could obviously end up being completely different down the line).

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
is there something i missed for why the doctor is straight up going with the last of the time lords angle again? got the ones that got banished in hell bent at the very least, no? They wouldn't be friendly ones but still. I couldn't help but think about it, lol

That aside, nice enough first episode. Ncuti is a lot of fun!

Gallifrey got completely destroyed again in the Chibnall era, and all(?) the Time Lords got turned into super regenerating Cybermen by The Master. It's why the language is now a bit more non-specific, as it wasn't the Time War, but there's multiple genocides in play on the Time Lords and I guess he's assuming that between them there's none left.

Also: it's a better character hook I think tbh
In fairness, the Doctor still referred to themselves as "the last of the Time Lords" even during the time when Gallifrey was technically back.

It's just the default state of the character in modern storytelling.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Also, man, we're 100% getting Susan back. You do not stop an episode dead to talk for that long about a character who hasn't been seen in over 40 years unless you had plans for them.

Susan Foreman back in Doctor Who in 2024. Fucking wild.

Davies also name dropped the Rani which gave me whiplash. Are we finally pulling that trigger too?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Davies also name dropped the Rani which gave me whiplash. Are we finally pulling that trigger too?

It'd be a weird choice. The Rani isn't iconic like the Daleks or the Master. Most people don't remember her at all. And as a character I don't think she's very interesting.

Kate O'Mara was iconic, and makes the terrible Rani stories far more watchable, but she's dead.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Also, man, we're 100% getting Susan back. You do not stop an episode dead to talk for that long about a character who hasn't been seen in over 40 years unless you had plans for them.

Susan Foreman back in Doctor Who in 2024. Fucking wild.

I could see something with Susan happening with the way she was brought up. The Rani just felt like a random namedrop as a nod to the past. Similar to the ones in The Giggle.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a weird choice. The Rani isn't iconic like the Daleks or the Master. Most people don't remember her at all. And as a character I don't think she's very interesting.

Kate O'Mara was iconic, and makes the terrible Rani stories far more watchable, but she's dead.

I always think the Rani mentions are basically show runners having a little laugh in knowing that it will be discussed on some corners of the Internet; it wouldn't even surprise me if they all had an inside joke about making sure they mention it every so often just for shits and giggles.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the only thing that pulled me out of the episodes was the giant dance number at the end of Devil's Chord. Felt way way way too indulgent and went on way too long.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
TBH the only thing that pulled me out of the episodes was the giant dance number at the end of Devil's Chord. Felt way way way too indulgent and went on way too long.

yeah, i felt it did go on too long and the song itself wasn't particularly good. Everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun though

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
Really enjoyed the Devil's Chord, but couldn't help but chuckle about them stopping the Maestro in 1963, when we first met them in the twenties. So, did music just suck for forty years? Lmao. Guess it's a mavity situation haha