PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
How dare people interpret things that are open to interpretation!

You're supposed to give it a cinema sins ding if it doesn't spoon-feed you an explanation of the rules of fairy magic!

Story telling can't be ambiguous and about emotional realities! It needs to be a list of events I can type up neatly for the wiki!

Pretty much everyone here is being measured and reasonable about their criticisms of the episode, so I'm not sure why you've come in with this sassy attitude.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone here is being measured and reasonable about their criticisms of the episode, so I'm not sure why you've come in with this sassy attitude.
Couple of reasons! First of all, it's Sunday morning so I'm hungover. Second, other parts of the internet haven't been as measured so I'm annoyed about that.

But thirdly and more importantly, this thread loved Boom. So an AI somehow becoming a real boy (no explanation) and deactivating a landmine because daddies love their little girls (no justification) got a pass and no criticisms for being nonsense. But a story about a woman tortured by an anxiety ghost, for some reason, gets criticised for not spelling things out.

Just seems like heteronormative reproductive futurism gets immediate acceptance; and the much fresher and more interesting story by the gay writer gets more pushback, when they have similar issues, and that annoys me.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
But thirdly and more importantly, this thread loved Boom. So an AI somehow becoming a real boy (no explanation) and deactivating a landmine because daddies love their little girls (no justification) got a pass and no criticisms for being nonsense. But a story about a woman tortured by an anxiety ghost, for some reason, gets criticised for not spelling things out.

Sure, the idea that an AI replication of a human might have the capacity to develop free will and enter an online system like a virus is pretty cartoonish, especially when the motivation is the ol' "power of love". But it's not a particularly big leap for modern Doctor Who, and we've been expected to accept things just as goofy and outlandish on the regular since the show returned in 05.

73 Yards is different, because rather than being asked to accept a couple of outlandish explanations, we're not offered any explanations at all to the many unusual goings-on the story presents. That's not a common ask for this show.

Just seems like heteronormative reproductive futurism gets immediate acceptance; and the much fresher and more interesting story by the gay writer gets more pushback, when they have similar issues, and that annoys me.

I don't really agree with what you're implying here; both Davies and Moffat have mountains of both fans and detractors, and I've never seen anything to make me think it's got anything to do with sexual orientation (outside of a tiny minority of weirdos). What happened here is much simpler IMO: Moffat wrote an episode that felt like classic Doctor Who, and Davies wrote something that felt avante-garde and experimental.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks in a row the story happens because the Doctor doesn't look where he's going and steps on the wrong thing. And Ruby pays the price.
Watch your step Doctor.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boom is a sci-fi episode, and that's a genre where explanations and technobabble were well-established tropes.

73 Yards isn't even remotely sci-fi- it's an M.R. James-style folk horror story, and that is a genre that has a long and storied history of leaving the details ambiguous and up to the audience's interpretation.

There's nothing requiring any given audience member to prefer one or the other, but they aren't playing the same game, and it's perfectly valid to say that the explanations given in one bother you and the lack of explanation in the other doesn't.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree with what you're implying here; both Davies and Moffat have mountains of both fans and detractors, and I've never seen anything to make me think it's got anything to do with sexual orientation (outside of a tiny minority of weirdos). What happened here is much simpler IMO: Moffat wrote an episode that felt like classic Doctor Who, and Davies wrote something that felt avante-garde and experimental.
Moffat didn't just write an episode that felt like classic who, though. It was an episode full of references to his other episodes, and full of ideas we've seen doctor who do before done in a competent but rote way.

I don't mean to imply that anyone in this thread is intentionally homophobic or anything. I definitely don't think that's the case. But I do think that preferring Doctor Who to be what you've seen before and buying into a story about the magic of fatherhood and ill-timed straight crushes are connected ideas, in a way. It's that preference for the safe, conventional, the pre approved (though in the case of boom, done really well by a great production team). I personally have a strong preference right now for unconventional experimental novel doctor who, especially since the 60th specials executed the nostalgia for 2008 so perfectly that it cured my hunger for it entirely.

My concern is that Disney see the feedback from these two episodes and the instruction to production is more comfort food, more continuity references, more "hey remember when", and that space for new experiments gets squeezed out.

That said though, Boom was Moffat back for the first time in years, so it makes sense for that episode to be a love letter to all his old stuff. I just hope his next outing on the show is new territory for both the program and for him.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
It's more of an aside then the main point, but you pick up on this:

My concern is that Disney see the feedback from these two episodes and the instruction to production is more comfort food, more continuity references, more "hey remember when", and that space for new experiments gets squeezed out.

We're in an interesting place with Who's production schedule now - series 2 wrapped last weekend. There's really no room for any general audience feedback from series 1 to at any point have impacted the show production in any major way. If we get 3/4, specific reaction from these two episodes is likely to be so low down the agenda. But it does mean that for the first two series of the run, it really is in a bubble away from a lot of feedback - so it's possibly a bit more pure to the vision. Which is a big shift compared to a lot of shows. Any subtle shifts on direction for series 2 would come entirely from the product team/commissioners own opinions or expectations or feedback, without external influence. Which is intriguing to see that they think of S1 and how they built/reacted to that.

Russell's very keen on pushing the show to places it hasn't been before, so as long as he's in charge I wouldn't worry about that side too much.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The preview for the next episode reminded me a lot of Black Mirror (especially with the new actress' superficial similarity to Bryce Dallas Howard and all the screens).

After sleeping over 73 Yards, I like it even more as this experimental Black Mirror like episode, in that sense of it depicting one person's fear in this heightened state where everything falls apart and her trying to grasp it. That is the vibe I got from it. Specifically I was reminded of the episode where people 'block' each other in real life and their faces are literally censored to each other, and where people are punished by being trapped in a computer simulation for millions of years.

I get the same vibe of existential terror, though in BM it is comprehensible from the human technology point of view. In DW it's a magic curse that affects you in a more 'relatable' way - instead of having blood run from your eyes or snakes from your ear holes, it's people getting as far away from you as possible, and always having someone watching you.

Also the way I personally interpret "Ruby's acquaintance tries to confront woman" -> "they abandon Ruby" is that sometimes people are willing to stick with you until you begin to open up personally or become vulnerable to them, in which case they grow distant because they're not interested in deeper relationships with you. That is the interpreted reason, the sci-fi explanation has to do with the TARDIS perception filter + witch magic most likely.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I'm still struggling on is the hand gestures the woman was doing. She always does the same hand gestures when Ruby looks at her, and I feel like even if we don't need them explained in dialogue I am curious about them. It kinda looked like she's cradling/rocking a baby in her arms for one of them, right?

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
The thing I'm still struggling on is the hand gestures the woman was doing. She always does the same hand gestures when Ruby looks at her, and I feel like even if we don't need them explained in dialogue I am curious about them. It kinda looked like she's cradling/rocking a baby in her arms for one of them, right?
Looks it was sign language
Bless you. Thank you so much. That's so kind of you. When you gave me that little thing, it was just so precious. How am i ever going to repay you? But we'll think of something.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, I agree with this. It was really great for almost the whole episode but it just leaves too much unanswered and with no connections to be satisfying to me. It's amazing build-up, amazing execution, and then... they don't even fumble the payoff, they just intentionally walk away without even trying.

Unfortunately we're starting to see that sort of condescending "lmao people can't even figure it out, clearly it's about..." type of responses, even when what it's "clearly about" is not something everyone that likes it even agrees on. We're a few days out from someone bringing up "basic media literacy".

It's Susan Twist. She's played a character in every episode this season. Plus one in Special 2 last year.

Gotcha, just finished reading a couple articles. RTD claiming a shortage of actors lol. I guess we'll see if it's meaningful.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In ratings news, we had a relatively temperate day of weather yesterday, and lo and behold, we've had the highest overnight ratings of the run so far.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Between this episode and the last, holy shit is Who on a roll. I didn't hate Chibnalls era, but these are the kind of episodes it was missing.

I loved every single yard.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
It's all very well made but the wild tangents everyone is going on drives home how little there actually is in the work. The idea that it's about her projecting her fear of abandonment doesn't make any sense; 3 of the 4 people had no relationship with her whatsoever.
Are we just going to ignore the fact that she spent her remaining life having been abandoned by her adoptive family, separated from the Doctor and cut off from any possible help after UNIT withdraws? Also, what's worse than everyone abandoning, avoiding or ignoring her and all she can get is an "ask her"? It doesn't really matter how well she knew them. You might have had a point, if you didn't just skip over her losing everyone else as well…

I took 73 Yards as a very simple premise - the penalty for breaking the circle (and/or reading the notes) was for Ruby to spend the rest of her life living her nightmare of being abandoned by everybody, and only when she's suffered every day of that, in her last moments she earns the reprieve of seeing the timeline adjust to one where it now never happened. The linking of ap Gwilliam and Mad Jack only happens inside that nightmare as a false hope for both her and the viewer, and when it comes to nothing that for me showed that it was never real. There was even an earlier example in the pub of Mad Jack turning out to be nothing, and ap Gwilliam is a more of a fool-me-twice moment in retrospect, just two names that she'd heard right as the nightmare began.

The phantom wasn't necessarily saying anything real, this nightmare world revolved around Ruby, and the point was that everybody would abandon her, and it was because of something about her. Everybody would explain it as 'ask her', as if it was always Ruby's fault that they ran, and she could never figure out what it was. Whether the phantom represented her fears following her throughout her life, I don't know, but certainly the nightmare was about those fears becoming a tangible thing and perpetuating themselves.
Just saw the behind-the-scenes video for this episode, and RTD had this to say:
"Something profane has happened with the disturbance of this fairy circle. There's been a lack of respect. The Doctor is normally very respectful of alien lifeforms and cultures, but now he's just walked through something very powerful, and something's gone wrong. But this something is corrected when Ruby has to spend a life of penitence in which she does something good, which brings the whole thing full circle. It forgives them in the end."
So, your interpretation is correct, except she does actually live it.

She must undo the effect of breaking the fairy circle and unleashing Mad Jack. And even after that's accomplished, she's forced to spend her whole remaining life "alone", having already been abandoned by her family. Only after she's dies, is she finally released and allowed to warn herself.

This also clears up whether the Old Woman is Old Ruby #2, it's obviously not.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Looks it was sign language

See that's exactly the kind of thing I would've appreciated much better if the show had done anything to help me understand it while I was watching. And why sign language? I don't remember if we've ever seen anything regarding if Ruby knows sign language in a previous episode.

I could have accepted all the other ambiguity in the episode much better if they'd only just done a better job of explaining what the hell the Woman was doing. It's the central mystery of the whole episode! The payoff just didn't pay off as well as the whole rest of the episode promised.

But also, what does that message have to do with "Don't step"?

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Why didn't she stop that guy before he became PM?
This is directly addressed…
She LITERALLY says, "Sorry, had to be 100% certain" (or something similar)
That's after we, "indirectly" (though not really subtle), learn that he raped the staffer.
And after we get told, directly, that he's getting the nuke codes tonight.

Well, despite Russell apparently saying, the faerie circle being disrespected forces Ruby into a life of penitence and eventually she "does something good" which brings it full circle and "forgives them in the end."
Which is just odd considering she spent another 40 years being haunted after doing her good deed. And that's one of my big problems with the episode. I wanted Ruby to have agency in solving her problem and restoring her life.
So, your problem is it shouldn't have been a life sentence? That's fine, but there's no logical inconsistency with her only being released after dying, and thus completing her life of penitence.
I also don't see how it's a valid criticism to say the perpetrator should be the one that gets to choose their sentence, lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
See that's exactly the kind of thing I would've appreciated much better if the show had done anything to help me understand it while I was watching. And why sign language? I don't remember if we've ever seen anything regarding if Ruby knows sign language in a previous episode.

I could have accepted all the other ambiguity in the episode much better if they'd only just done a better job of explaining what the hell the Woman was doing. It's the central mystery of the whole episode! The payoff just didn't pay off as well as the whole rest of the episode promised.

But also, what does that message have to do with "Don't step"?

I don't think Ruby DOES understand sign language, nor were we supposed to think she did. If she did, she would've commented on it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Ruby DOES understand sign language, nor were we supposed to think she did. If she did, she would've commented on it.

So why the sign language? How does it have anything to do with stopping the Doctor from stepping on the fae circle?Or does whatever the Woman was doing just have nothing to do with anything?

We're led to understand that the Woman was Ruby the whole time (which I had guessed already long before that point) but the connective tissue isn't there, the why.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Just saw the behind-the-scenes video for this episode, and RTD had this to say:

So, your interpretation is correct, except she does actually live it.

She must undo the effect of breaking the fairy circle and unleashing Mad Jack. And even after that's accomplished, she's forced to spend her whole remaining life "alone", having already been abandoned by her family. Only after she's dies, is she finally released and allowed to warn herself.

Interesting, thanks!

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Ruby was the woman the whole time. If she were then she'd be saying 'don't step' from the very beginning (in the 'first' iteration) and the episode doesn't happen.

Ruby merges with the woman after she serves her life of penitence at the very end, and she is allowed to go back in time and prevent them from disrupting the circle.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Space Babies had a silly premise that could have been a disaster but somehow they pulled it off and it was fun. Intro was clunky for us old fans but I appreciate that they made it new fan friendly, especially now it's on a big streaming platform. The Nan-E translations were funny. Ncuti & Millie are developing incredible chemistry.

I'd rate The Devil's Chord a bit higher than Space Babies. It was a bit darker. Not keen on 4th wall breaking outside of Deadpool but I thought the lead-in to the title theme was clever. The lame songs at the beginning were funny, then sad after learning the reason why they sucked. Ruby's piano song was hauntingly beautiful. Cool trick with the sonic. The Maestro was a fun maniacal villian but I could understand her style being divisive. Very camp but with a sinister undertone. I appreciated the variety of classic music instead of the usual pop songs common in Doctor Who. The ending was fun, even with the additional 4th-wall breaking.

Boom was great. Very tense the whole way through. Looked big budget like Loki despite taking place in mostly a single location. As an Outlander fan I enjoyed the Doctor singing Skye Song. I accidentally got spoiled on Varada Sethu being the next companion despite trying to avoid spoilers but her appearing this early ala Jenna Coleman was a nice surprise. Fish fingers & custard!

73 Yards was my favorite so far. I loved how creepy the opening scene was. Gave me Watcher in Logopolis vibes. Also the whole thing felt very Black Mirror. Nice to see Kate as a semi-regular. I was wondering when Roger Ap Gwilliam would show up and knew he'd be important given the casting. I hope he pops up again in the future. Ruby making him run away was clever. I wish it had gone a bit longer with more of an explanation at the end but otherwise that was a standout episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So why the sign language? How does it have anything to do with stopping the Doctor from stepping on the fae circle?Or does whatever the Woman was doing just have nothing to do with anything?

We're led to understand that the Woman was Ruby the whole time (which I had guessed already long before that point) but the connective tissue isn't there, the why.

I don't think it does. I'm still trying to make sense of it, but I'm pretty sure that Ruby's power isn't actually personal time travel, but rather some kind of anchored psychic projection. She sent her consciousness back and projected it INTO the Woman, who was already there, and used her as a conduit to project the feeling of "don't step" into the past, the same way that she's sent Christmas (and the emotions of that moment) into the past and future in the other three episodes.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
So, your problem is it shouldn't have been a life sentence? That's fine, but there's no logical inconsistency with her only being released after dying, and thus completing her life of penitence.
I also don't see how it's a valid criticism to say the perpetrator should be the one that gets to choose their sentence, lol.
My problem is, within the episode, there's absolutely nothing that connects Ruby stopping Gwilliam with her being "forgiven." And Kate's lines about making up rules actively discourage the viewer from making that connection. Ruby is assuming that the old woman's purpose is to stop him. With how inexplicable the old woman is the entire episode, and with how absolutely nothing changes after Ruby does stop him, the audience is kind of forced to believe that this was simply another example of Ruby trying to see logic in something that had none.

And I never said there was anything logically inconsistent with what Russell said, but just because the episode technically makes sense when viewed through that lens doesn't make it narratively or emotionally satisfying to me. I also have no clue what you're talking about with "perpetrator should choose their sentence." Ruby isn't a perpetrator serving a sentence, she's a victim of a curse that's psychologically torturing an innocent woman over 65 years because she read a piece of paper lol. "A perpetrator should be able to choose their sentence" does not in any way correlate to me saying I wish Ruby had more agency in breaking the curse.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it does. I'm still trying to make sense of it, but I'm pretty sure that Ruby's power isn't actually personal time travel, but rather some kind of anchored psychic projection. She sent her consciousness back and projected it INTO the Woman, who was already there, and used her as a conduit to project the feeling of "don't step" into the past, the same way that she's sent Christmas into the past and future in the other three episodes.

Erg. So there's potentially just no given reason for the Woman to ever be there, at all. I guess she's some kind of manifestation of the broken circle and that's all? And everything about what happens is just "because magic".

This whole theme of this season is something I'm really torn about. It's something I could appreciate but it's also just such a radical departure from the kinds of themes I've loved about Doctor Who.

And I never said there was anything logically inconsistent with what Russell said, but just because the episode technically makes sense when viewed through that lens doesn't make it narratively or emotionally satisfying to me. I also have no clue what you're talking about with "perpetrator should choose their sentence." Ruby isn't a perpetrator serving a sentence, she's a victim of a curse that's psychologically torturing an innocent woman over 65 years because she read a piece of paper lol. "A perpetrator should be able to choose their sentence" does not in any way correlate to me saying I wish Ruby had more agency in breaking the curse.

Yeah this is the thing some people seem not to understand. Yes, we can accept that the writer was trying to be clever by writing an episode that follows the thesis of having to make up rules to make it make sense, but that doesn't necessarily make that a satisfying experience for a viewer who's excited about the resolution they expect, especially in the context of a series that throughout 60 years of existence almost never leaves the viewer hanging in that way. And it's not even like I would necessarily need everything spelled out in minute detail, just, you know, some things. I enjoy filling in some blanks myself, just not all of them.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Erg. So there's potentially just no given reason for the Woman to ever be there, at all. I guess she's some kind of manifestation of the broken circle and that's all? And everything about what happens is just "because magic".

This whole theme of this season is something I'm really torn about. It's something I could appreciate but it's also just such a radical departure from the kinds of themes I've loved about Doctor Who.

Yes, she's a manifestation of the fairy circle that was always there and latched onto Ruby when they triggered the superstition.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, she's a manifestation of the fairy circle that was always there and latched onto Ruby when they triggered the superstition.

Although, now that I think about it, the Woman was definitely Ruby at least at the end, or was at least created by her, because there was no Woman for her to astrally project into prior to the circle being broken.

Another thing that's still ambiguous is Gwilliam. They could've explained him being a catastrophic future leader as Mad Jack having been released by the breaking of the circle... but the Doctor talks about him in this way even before the circle is broken (both times). So does anyone stop him now? I hope that's something they revisit.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
Although, now that I think about it, the Woman was definitely Ruby at least at the end, or was at least created by her, because there was no Woman for her to astrally project into prior to the circle being broken.

Another thing that's still ambiguous is Gwilliam. They could've explained him being a catastrophic future leader as Mad Jack having been released by the breaking of the circle... but the Doctor talks about him in this way even before the circle is broken (both times). So does anyone stop him now? I hope that's something they revisit.

Maybe ap Gwilliam is why the finale is called Empire of Death

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Them not seeing the woman until right after (or in the case of the restored timeline, right before) the circle was broken strikes me as less "she didn't exist until the circle was broken" and more "she was always there and they just weren't able to see her until the right conditions were met". Like a psychic echo that doesn't reveal itself to everyone.

Roger is probably still a threat. He just might not be a threat the Doctor and Ruby need to solve. If he really is just a tremendously shitty dude who exists entirely organically without any alien or magic shenanigans driving him, that's kinda out of the Doctor's jurisdiction.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
We don't know that.
Every time someone asks what she is there's a different answer. Is she a manifestation of the fairy circle? Is she a manifestation of Ruby's abandonment issues? Is she a manifestation of fears come to life that must be defeated by hope? Is she Ruby from the future stuck in some kind of time lock? Is she two or more of these things combined?
The only thing with actual in-episode evidence is her being Old Ruby. People want to write that off because it makes no sense, and I agree it makes no sense, but none of the other options are given any actual evidence, aside from the general theme of abandonment.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It would be kinda cool if Russell is using Gwilliam to finally follow up on that throwaway line in Before the Flood about the "Minister of War" being a future threat to the Doctor.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Just rewatched the start of Devil's Chord to see if there's any stepping going on. I guess they step all over the Abbey Road zebra crossing? Otherwise no. Still, all these blundering steps can't be a coincidence.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just rewatched the start of Devil's Chord to see if there's any stepping going on. I guess they step all over the Abbey Road zebra crossing? Otherwise no. Still, all these blundering steps can't be a coincidence.

If you want to be technical, moving between adjacent keys on a piano is either a half or full step and he got the last key wrong and almost got himself and Ruby killed by Maestro as a result

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know that.
Every time someone asks what she is there's a different answer. Is she a manifestation of the fairy circle? Is she a manifestation of Ruby's abandonment issues? Is she a manifestation of fears come to life that must be defeated by hope? Is she Ruby from the future stuck in some kind of time lock? Is she two or more of these things combined?
The only thing with actual in-episode evidence is her being Old Ruby. People want to write that off because it makes no sense, and I agree it makes no sense, but none of the other options are given any actual evidence, aside from the general theme of abandonment.

I don't think the episode is suggesting that the Woman was Old Ruby the whole time. Just that Ruby projected herself back to that moment right before she died.

It's notable that even after she gets sent back we never see the Woman's face.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
This is directly addressed…
She LITERALLY says, "Sorry, had to be 100% certain" (or something similar)
That's after we, "indirectly" (though not really subtle), learn that he raped the staffer.
And after we get told, directly, that he's getting the nuke codes tonight.

That just means Ruby is a bit of a shitty person. She heard from the Doctor about the nukes, she saw the interview on TV, with him talking about nukes, and allowed a woman to be sexually assaulted before taking action, by not taking action beforehand.

I just think she should have acted as soon as she got the chance to be 73 yards from him. I'm totally sure she had some chances beforehand. Just doesn't smell right to me.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
I feel like I need time to come to an actual conclusion as to my thoughts regarding this. But currently, I just can't help but feel like it was yet another Netflix horror movie that, although started with a strong premise, soon failed hard and did not provide any meaningful answers or a satisfactory ending. And worse, I am not even sure that I just watched an episode of Doctor Who. Take that as you will.

One specific point I wanted to ask though. Was the removal of the intro significant in any way? Was it to continue to show that reality / perception is continuing to break down? Or was it cut simply for time constraints?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
One specific point I wanted to ask though. Was the removal of the intro significant in any way? Was it to continue to show that reality / perception is continuing to break down? Or was it cut simply for time constraints?

I thought that was cool. You didn't watch an episode of Doctor Who. You watched a cold open of Doctor Who, followed by an episode of Ruby Sunday.

Jan 20, 2023
catching up

episodes 1 and 2 were absolutely incredible. proudly declared that dr who is SO fucking back and a straight person should never be allowed near it again

and then i started episode 3

and it said BY STEVEN MOFFAT

and i knew i was about to watch the worst goddamn shit i've ever fucking seen

how is he allowed to continue doing this. and he gets paid for it too????

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I would complain quite so vocally, but yeah, I think of the 5 episodes so far including Church on ruby road, the mine episode was... not good.

The other 4 have been great, but I can't say I honestly could list a single thing I'd recommend about episode 4.

Do we know if moffat is doing any more of the episodes?