Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I don't think the episode is suggesting that the Woman was Old Ruby the whole time. Just that Ruby projected herself back to that moment right before she died.

It's notable that even after she gets sent back we never see the Woman's face.
Yeah, because they leave EVERYTHING ambiguous. We see Ruby seeing from the woman's perspective. That's all we get.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
catching up

episodes 1 and 2 were absolutely incredible. proudly declared that dr who is SO fucking back and a straight person should never be allowed near it again

and then i started episode 3

and it said BY STEVEN MOFFAT

and i knew i was about to watch the worst goddamn shit i've ever fucking seen

how is he allowed to continue doing this. and he gets paid for it too????

This made me laugh. Just tossing a grenade into the thread.

Jan 20, 2023
idk i just think he writes profoundly terrible television. i think uncritically enjoying what he makes and being a fan of his run on dr who is actually a fairly big indictment of somebody's taste levels and...tbh intelligence lmao. not to throw too much of a secondary grenade but heyo.

Blink was some kind of insane fluke and might be the only good media he ever created.

he truly writes some of the dumbest television i've ever seen. he is so bad at it

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
idk i just think he writes profoundly terrible television. i think uncritically enjoying what he makes and being a fan of his run on dr who is actually a fairly big indictment of somebody's taste levels and...tbh intelligence lmao. not to throw too much of a secondary grenade but heyo.

Blink was some kind of insane fluke and might be the only good media he ever created.

he truly writes some of the dumbest television i've ever seen. he is so bad at it
lmao this is one of the most condescending and arrogant posts I've seen in a Doctor Who thread. Speak your truth on Moffat's writing all you want, many of us do, but this "it really speaks to people's intelligence when they like the most popular episodes of the entire show" is so silly. Get over yourself just a tad.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
catching up

episodes 1 and 2 were absolutely incredible. proudly declared that dr who is SO fucking back and a straight person should never be allowed near it again

lmao. It wasn't that bad, just typical Moffat Doctor Who, but I agree with your first statement. We need a younger RTD to take the reins of the show.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

MV5BMWVkMzQzMTYtMzlhMy00ZjllLWI0MWEtNTM0NWFkMDMzOTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc5MTI0NjU@._V1_.jpg

In all seriousness, i think Moffat is the same as RTD in that he's very much a mixed writer in that he can write bangers but also suffers from his own writing quirks and charcter archetypes.

Personally i see RTD staying on board for 4-5 more years and building up a new sucessor.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, alright then. I agree that I didn't like the mine episode, but that's way over the top, it's definitely not that serious and Dr. who isn't supposed to be some prestige TV thing. It's often a completely dumb show.

To paraphrase the Star wars threads recently, this is a show about a alien in a time travelling police box running around and solving problems with a magic screwdriver and should be treated with that level of seriousness.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

I guess congrats on insulting most of the people in this thread?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Uh, alright then. I agree that I didn't like the mine episode, but that's way over the top, it's definitely not that serious and Dr. who isn't supposed to be some prestige TV thing. It's often a completely dumb show.

To paraphrase the Star wars threads recently, this is a show about a alien in a time travelling police box running around and solving problems with a magic screwdriver and should be treated with that level of seriousness.
Pepole complain about the camp not realising that under RTD is where Doctor Who was its most campy and insane in the reboot era

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

96923.gif

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021

This is one of the most moronic posts I've ever read on Era. Which is quite an achievement. So congrats on that I guess? But heyo.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Two weeks in a row the story happens because the Doctor doesn't look where he's going and steps on the wrong thing. And Ruby pays the price.
Watch your step Doctor.
I was going to make a joke about how just like the Doctor(s) had to play catch with the Toymaker, this is obviously hinting at playing hopscotch with "the one who waits" buuuuut...

May 26, 2018

Oh, we're getting trolled old school. We gotta be.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

And I think you wrote one of the dumbest posts in this thread. You're so bad at it. I think uncritically writing this post is a fairly big indictment of somebody's taste and... tbh intelligence.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
catching up

lmao come on.
I'm not the biggest fan of Moffat but I recognize he can write Legendary episodes every now and then. I agree Boom wasn't the freshest episode and is unmistakably similar to what Moffat has written but that's the only criticism I can make about it.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Both RTD and Moffat have written some of the very best, and some of the absolute worst episodes in the entire 60+ years of Doctor Who. For all their differences, they share so many similarities in how they approach writing the show. It's probably one of the reasons they enjoy working together so much. I certainly understand preferring one over the other, maybe even drastically so, but that's just unhinged.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Both RTD and Moffat have written some of the very best, and some of the absolute worst episodes in the entire 60+ years of Doctor Who. For all their differences, they share so many similarities in how they approach writing the show. It's probably one of the reasons they enjoy working together so much. I certainly understand preferring one over the other, maybe even drastically so, but that's just unhinged.
Their Birds in a very Campy Father, RTD and Moffat are. I think at points trying to be too serious and dramatic severly impacted the Chibnall era.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

This is trolling in the most depressing way. I have a lot of issues with some of his seasons, but he's also done some great episodes.

And calling out peoples intelligence because of a difference in taste makes you come off as an absolute ass. Be better.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was going pretty well, even reading negative opinions was perfectly fine. Then everything changed when the trolling nation attacked.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Casting aspersions on strangers' intelligence over liking something you don't like is a much bigger indictment of yourself.

Jan 20, 2023
User banned (2 weeks): trolling over a series of posts; threadbanned from the thread
Casting aspersions on strangers' intelligence over liking something you don't like is a much bigger indictment of yourself.

if somebody likes something that was clearly aimed at and created for, dumb people, by a dumb person

i dont think its unfair to assume that person might be dumb lmao.

nothing subjective about it, he writes objectively stupid and bad television, that on the surface level, tries to appear as if it is very smart, but is in fact severely dumb.

liking it is, imo, a big ol red flag that somebody's """""media literacy"""" (dumb and misused expression but whatever it will get my point across here), is nigh-on non existent.

RTD is camp, knows it, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. praise be that he is back in charge

You just ain't got no interest interacting with this community, huh? Come in here, immediately start shit talking everyone who isn't you, and now you're the victim.
what part of that post made you think i was trying to act like the victim. reading comprehension also not the best in here huh.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
"you're trolling"

good comeback i guess moffat is actually really good at writing tv i was just being silly, you got me

Nope, stop right there. You are trying to pretend that you're getting criticized for saying Moffat is a bad writer. But that's very dishonest. Sure, you are being very hyperbolic about his quality, given most people liked his seasons. But Moffat gets criticized here all the time. By many of the people pushing back on what you said, myself included.

The problem with your post is that you started insulting people for their tastes, literally calling them stupid for liking what they like. That ON TOP of the "he should be fired!!!" hyperbole is what makes your posts so condescending and nonsensical.

If you can't see how pulling a "Moffat fans must be of bad taste and low intelligence" post out of nowhere makes you come across as an asshole, then you need to really take a step back and start listening to people. Because you look terrible right now and it has nothing to do with which Doctor Who writer you prefer.

Edit: and as I was writing this you doubled down on it. Get over yourself.

Lmao AND you pulled out the "media literacy" and "reading comprehension" bits. You're not just a clown, you're the most predictable clown possible. Go back to reddit or wherever you came from and come back when you're ready to talk about media like an adult.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Steven Moffat doesn't write camp.

Also Steven Moffat:

curse-of-fatal-death-2.jpg

The irony is, everyone in this thread could probably write an essay on the many faults of Steven Moffat. The person who loves and respects his work more than anyone here is Russell T Davies. That severely dumb idiot.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
RTD is camp, knows it, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. praise be that he is back in charge

Stirring up all this shit and you haven't even seen the episode everyone was discussing before you came in here with your incendiary bullshit, huh.

Hoping your just get thread banned or you know, just quit posting in the thread, because I'm not sure why any community would want someone who just acts like a complete ass to anyone who doesn't share their opinion.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
...right

do we think they'll release this season on 4k bluray or does the beeb not touch the format?

There's been 4k releases before, some of 13s episodes were. And I think Capaldis last episode. Though the 2023 specials would probably be the indicator and there's none for that yet.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's move on from the troll. They won't be coming back.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
There's been 4k releases before, some of 13s episodes were. And I think Capaldis last episode. Though the 2023 specials would probably be the indicator and there's none for that yet.

Apparently the Capaldi 4K release was a test balloon for the BBC, but didn't sell well. Hope they come to their senses at some point.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this series has been improving with each episode.

I agree. I've liked every episode so far, which is a pretty good success rate for a season of Who. This latest episode was a standout for me. It's probably my favourite episode of the show in years.

I would be interested in us taking an actual poll of what we think The Woman is.

I just read it as being Ruby, but I guess it's not impossible they will tie it to her backstory in some way.

I hope they don't, though. The episode works in large part because of its ambiguity. The moment it would be made explicit, a lot of the surreal atmosphere that made it so special would just evaporate.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
My problem is, within the episode, there's absolutely nothing that connects Ruby stopping Gwilliam with her being "forgiven." And Kate's lines about making up rules actively discourage the viewer from making that connection. Ruby is assuming that the old woman's purpose is to stop him. With how inexplicable the old woman is the entire episode, and with how absolutely nothing changes after Ruby does stop him, the audience is kind of forced to believe that this was simply another example of Ruby trying to see logic in something that had none.

And I never said there was anything logically inconsistent with what Russell said, but just because the episode technically makes sense when viewed through that lens doesn't make it narratively or emotionally satisfying to me. I also have no clue what you're talking about with "perpetrator should choose their sentence." Ruby isn't a perpetrator serving a sentence, she's a victim of a curse that's psychologically torturing an innocent woman over 65 years because she read a piece of paper lol. "A perpetrator should be able to choose their sentence" does not in any way correlate to me saying I wish Ruby had more agency in breaking the curse.

What? That's not the Woman's purpose, that's just how she ends up stopping him.

And she's being punished by the Fae for her transgression. You complaining she doesn't have any agency in fixing things is akin to saying a perpetrator should be able to choose their own sentence. Your mistake is thinking that she got cursed. She didn't. She's being punished. Fits perfectly with the stories around Fae etc.

Edit: Also, because you keep bringing up agency: Exactly what agency did Donna have? Her life sucked, someone tells her to turn left instead. That's barely agency, especially since she wasn't even aware things were off. In fact, you could argue Ruby actually has more agency, since she at least knows what happened. Hard to have agency if you're ignorant about your circumstances.

Last edited: