signal

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here play this? It's not super popular, but it's pretty fun. Some options to play online if there's no local scene as well (OCTGN, untap.in) or you can be like me and play against yourself irl šŸ«£

The budget is low, marketing is nonexistent, and there are weird issues like rules being often clarified on twitter, but the game can be pretty complex (has a stack like MTG) and if you like FF then it's basically just merchandise. Too bad a lot of the cards are bland and just 'CG character model against a background' but there are some gems like the full art cards. Some nerds I have:

bLYIeRW.jpeg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
'CG character model against a background

This is why I typically never bothered with licensed "CCG". Nothing worse than paying for boosters and just getting artwork you've already seen a million times before (If you're a fan of the IP). It's an aspect that Pokemon back in the day knew to stay away from so it's always odd that others don't follow. Granted, paying for that much original artwork I imagine would get pretty expensive but I feel jumping into a CCG regardless isn't a cheap endeavor (Or maybe it is with how many dead ones there are).

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I always wanted to, but the scene around my area for anything that's not Magic is pretty much non-existent. I do wish SquareEnix would re-release the physical Triple Triad cards they had back when FFVIII was new, that was the best physical FF Card game!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
There's.... There's a Final Fantasy TCG? Is it any good?
I think it's pretty interesting. I don't have immense TCG knowledge like I've barely played Yugioh, but I play MTG and this is in some ways similar because it has a stack, unlike something like Pokemon. I'd say most of the problems seem to be like design issues and limited budget / marketing rather than core game aspects.

This is why I typically never bothered with licensed "CCG". Nothing worse than paying for boosters and just getting artwork you've already seen a million times before (If you're a fan of the IP). It's an aspect that Pokemon back in the day knew to stay away from so it's always odd that others don't follow. Granted, paying for that much original artwork I imagine would get pretty expensive but I feel jumping into a CCG regardless isn't a cheap endeavor (Or maybe it is with how many dead ones there are).
Yeah fair. I actually like the look of Pokemon cards for some reason, but some of the FF ones are just insanely lazy. Even if it's like some Amano concept art on a blank background, that's pretty bland, let alone a literal CG model just standing there against a white background.

I've been curious about collecting the cards at minimum, tell me moar op.
This is easy, if you don't want to collect all the cards (why would you!) I'd say just look at card databases, find cards you want, and buy singles lol.

Why not make a irl Triple Triad?
Get unofficial sets off etsy!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play but I've looked into it before and a few game stores near me still run events. It's pretty wild to me that this survived covid.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Nope, but in fairness, there isn't even a TCG scene here, i know some kids play Magic but there's only like one shop that has it and i don't really want to play with high school kids and the rest are just people collecting Pokemon cards, not even playing it, i seriously tried to find TCG groups or people to play those with here, looked at various places online and offline and nothing, there is barely even a board game scene here and it's like mostly just chess and poker unless i want to play Monopoly and variants of Monopoly in the Monopoly fan club which is a real thing where i live.

So...unless Square-Enix reveals a digital version i won't be playing, i could just stare at some artwork and wish there were stores that sold it and people to play it wih like i do for that Digimon TCG game.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to before Covid screwed everything up.

I wish Square did a better job at marketing and promoting the game. Every time I mention the tcg irl people go "THERE'S A FINAL FANTASY TCG????"

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really wish more of these niche Japanese card games would get digital versions. There are so many of them, but they're essentially impossible to play physically in the west, and most of them end up dying at some point anyway.

This and the Fire Emblem one always looked like something I could get into, but not without having people to play with.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've been wanting to play it. When it first came out, my local shop sold out instantly and at the time it was hard to get more sets in. Helps that apparently its a pretty good game.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to before Covid screwed everything up.

I wish Square did a better job at marketing and promoting the game. Every time I mention the tcg irl people go "THERE'S A FINAL FANTASY TCG????"
I bought one of these sets from a local shop after seeing they had it online and when I went in person and asked for the 'fftcg anniversary box' the employee was like 'fftcg.....?' It was at another location in the city they had to drive over but still lol.

Man, I really wish more of these niche Japanese card games would get digital versions. There are so many of them, but they're essentially impossible to play physically in the west, and most of them end up dying at some point anyway.

This and the Fire Emblem one always looked like something I could get into, but not without having people to play with.
Yeah I'm hoping for an FFTCG Arena one day.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a couple dozen packs, just to open and collect. I love the FF art

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Yah, if this game has unique original artwork for the cards this would be my favorite card game of all time... But as it is, it's just a disappointment.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yah, if this game has unique original artwork for the cards this would be my favorite card game of all time... But as it is, it's just a disappointment.
IMO some of the full art cards are nice. Even some of the more 'boring' ones that are just Amano art we've seen before look fine as cards, but the plain CG model or concept are and white background are the worst lol.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember seeing tables of some TCG demos at the Square Enix booth at various conventions, though I was never sure which of their games they were plugging. Don't they have multiple TCGs?

This just reminded me that I used to collect those Final Fantasy Art Museum cards and I should really figure out what to do with them. Some of that art was literally just screenshots of the CG scenes or the key art you see everywhere.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I vaguely remember seeing tables of some TCG demos at the Square Enix booth at various conventions, though I was never sure which of their games they were plugging. Don't they have multiple TCGs?

This just reminded me that I used to collect those Final Fantasy Art Museum cards and I should really figure out what to do with them. Some of that art was literally just screenshots of the CG scenes or the key art you see everywhere.
I dunno if they / one of their subsidiaries owns another game, but this is the only FF one at least.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Look FFXI players this is catering to you too šŸ˜²šŸ«µ

eAcKKly.jpg

And from the new set this is kind of nice

zuFKrE4.jpg

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've been sooooooo curious about this and wanted to try it many times but like you said, it's not very popular and the marketing is ass for it. SE does the occasional live stream of new boxes that I watch sometimes and that's it.

Also like you said, the artwork of the cards is mostly reused assets whichā€¦ cool in a way but not compelling either. And the boxes of booster are expensive AF. Though even in Japan we can get Japanese or English boxes which is neat.

Still as a FF fan I always side eye a box at the SE shop. Especially when the 4,11, 12, and T sets dropped.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play it, but I have heard of it.
latest

For reasons.

On the subject of art, Mobius FF had like, hundreds of commisioned art pieces that would work well in this game. I know there's at least a few cards of non-Mobius things that use their art from Mobius, see below. Using stock promo art is definitely lame, and using literal screenshots of older games is downright terrible.

17-123l-eg-heauweuia02ialcm2.jpg

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I really have been interested in trying it out, but I don't think it's a big deal in my area. It would be my first real TCG try out. I want to at least play online I guess.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've played a couple of matches with my neighbours (bought the 2-player starter packs), and had a good time with it. But I have no idea where to find boosters around here, and I don't think I know anyone else who'd play it. Between us we have the XIV Shadowbringers and the VII Remake packs.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've been sooooooo curious about this and wanted to try it many times but like you said, it's not very popular and the marketing is ass for it. SE does the occasional live stream of new boxes that I watch sometimes and that's it.

Also like you said, the artwork of the cards is mostly reused assets whichā€¦ cool in a way but not compelling either. And the boxes of booster are expensive AF. Though even in Japan we can get Japanese or English boxes which is neat.

Still as a FF fan I always side eye a box at the SE shop. Especially when the 4,11, 12, and T sets dropped.
Just buy some singles you like imo. Or don't and let physical sales plummet so SE makes a digital one šŸ‘€

On the subject of art, Mobius FF had like, hundreds of commisioned art pieces that would work well in this game. I know there's at least a few cards of non-Mobius things that use their art from Mobius, see below. Using stock promo art is definitely lame, and using literal screenshots of older games is downright terrible.
The FFXI screenshot ones are hilarious but somehow still more interesting looking than just the white bg ones. BE and Mobius do have a lot of nicer looking cards though.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I bought decks YEARS ago to play, but never really got into it/had others to play with.

I picked up the FF7 Starter Deck and another one, I can't remember and they've just been collecting dust

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Resurgence of Power pre-release kit came out today. Who got the gold signed Yuffie??

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
oh I have these cards. I sort of hate that they didn't make original art for these cards and have just been slapping old art on them. I get why, but ugh. I will say that I love the material the cards are made on.

I don't play though, and I actually want to sell them but haven't the slightest idea where to do that.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
oh I have these cards. I sort of hate that they didn't make original art for these cards and have just been slapping old art on them. I get why, but ugh. I will say that I love the material the cards are made on.

I don't play though, and I actually want to sell them but haven't the slightest idea where to do that.
The proper thing to do is just mail me the cards for free šŸ§ 

I have the official FFIX Tetra Master card game.
Tetra Master > Triple Triad
I'll die on this hill.
FFXIV TT > both since I get a card mount from it.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
I own four starter decks (Emet Selch, Graha, Cloud and Sephiroth). I tried learning this with my friend but there are certain steps or situations that are confusing or not clear to us that we don't know how to resolve. Finding tutorials seemed like a mix bag as well at the time. I like how they look at least, was considering buying the anniversary box.

Oct 25, 2017
I like all the niche characters that have cards.
I've never liked TCGs, but I did enjoy collecting Pokemon cards as a kid just to have them in my binder and look at the pictures.
Had all 251 from the first 2 gens.
These just don't activate that same desire to collect though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
XIII fanatics, you can now preorder the upcoming XIII custom starter set. Congrats.

store.na.square-enix-games.com

Square Enix Store | North America

Buy video games online at the Square Enix official store. Shop our top franchises including Final Fantasy, Nier, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.