Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I mean sure, if you discover a new branch of mathematics or were a civil rights icon or something people will remember you. OK.

But I'm talking about the other 99.999%+ of us out there. Kids generally know and love their parents. Grand kids do as well in many cases. There's not too many people very close to there great grandparents and you can forget about it after that. So in reality 80 years after you die, your hopes, your dreams, your achievements, your grand ideas about the world wouldn't have amounted to shit. You made no impact. Outside of your progeny. (Maybe that's why we (collectively) have such a strong desire to have kids.)

Does that thought ever cross your mind? Does it bother you at all? Don't care?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I find it extremely comforting. No matter how much I fuck up in life, it probably won't matter in the long run.

I feel bad about saying this, but my great-grandparents (outside of 1 who was pretty cool, even if she never really knew who I was because she suffered from alzheimer's (she thought I was my dad)) are people I never knew, and therefore never truly cared about. I'd love to have kids, and I expect that their kids (or kids kids) would have diminishing returns at some point. At almost 30 and only one relationship in my life, having kids is looking less and less likely.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"At this point in my career, I could go out with a grand, 21-gun salute, and climb into a rocket and the entire Supreme Court walks out and they jointly press a button, I'm shot up into the air and there's an explosion and it's orange and it spells, "Good night and God love." In this culture? Two years later, it's going to be, who's Conan? This is going to sound grim, but eventually, all our graves go unattended."

Conan O'Brien

Just make it count now. I think it IS disturbing to think about...but uh, I guess it won't matter to me...cuz I'll be dead. :D

:)

:|

:(

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about most people who died 80 years before me so it seems like a fair trade

Though I doubt it will take 80 years for me to disappear from everyone's memory. Probably 15 at best

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
It's whatever. Sure, it would be pretty cool to be remembered by history, but I don't need that to be happy.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Right now a failure in a scientific experiment could destroy the entire planet and everything from human history will be in oblivion, so who cares.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would it bother me? The only reason I care about people loving me now is because I'm alive to experience it. After I'm dead I wouldn't know so it makes no difference

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I saved a person's life once. He wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for me, and that means his kids wouldn't exist. So I can at least carry that knowledge into oblivion with me even if I'm otherwise mostly known as "background actor #4".

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nope.

There are so many important people that will be forgotten anyways, don't mind being an NPC on the planet.

I dunno, I saved a person's life once. He wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for me, and that means his kids wouldn't exist. So I can at least carry that knowledge into oblivion with me even if I'm otherwise mostly known as "background actor #4".

That is beautiful <3

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... you might have a point, but eh

I'm going to go back to chiseling this marble version of me that I'll force into an art museum

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not As Much As It Bothers Me That You Capitalised The First Letter Of Every Word In Your Thread Title.

But seriously, not at all, no. The overwhelming majority of humans won't be remembered after people they've known personally have died.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone will care I died after 80 seconds
That's what I thought. But after I faked my own death (long story), I found that I wasn't entirely correct. My nephew still posts RIP on his Facebook every year on the anniversary of my apparent demise.

Of course, his mom (aka my sister) doesn't give a shit. Still, she raised a good kid. Somehow.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
the point is that it isn't about "you" its about all of us. learning from past generations mistake's and pushing to make human life better for the one's after us.

the small impacts we all leave on each other should not be understated because you don't know how you may have affected someone's life and that will carry on into the future.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'll hand down my Steam password generation to generation and make my full name the password. Try to forget me now. Bum-ass family.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have the same feelings as I do most of my creative work...

I generate a ton of content for our studio that gets consumed and immediately forgotten. No one is framing my social media post or watching a livestream I produced from six years ago.

At best I'm a disembodied voice that becomes part of some future kid's school project on popular games in the 2010s.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the entirety of earth and the solar system are time constrained. why worry about 80 years?

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of related to something I've struggled with for decades now. A heart that yearns for greatness... but I am destined for mediocrity, like the grand majority of humanity. We live, we die, and then we are quietly forgotten. And hardly anyone will notice.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Because my kids are part of me, as their children will be, and so on. I live on whether they remember me or not.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The moment my parents die no one in my family will give a fuck about me and I'm A ok with that. They don't care much for me when they are alive so fuck them.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
As long as you're doing your best to put good out there, move the needle just a little, who cares if anyone remembers it was you. It's a collective action

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder about the printed, developed pictures of me... Where will they go to die?

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I never cared about that. The only thing I care is being dead or alive.